AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Camgirl/-boy portrait project

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

I was directed here by a camgirl who told me this might be a good place to reach people that might be willing to sit for my project. I'm a German photographer and while I mostly do editorial portrait work, this tumblr (http://www.camgirlbrb.tumblr.com/) inspired me to do a project I've been thinking about for a while now. I'm intrigued by the idea of how camgirls/-boys create and decorate this somewhat elaborate frame in which they perform - and while I assume that most of them probably don't put too much conscious thought into it, they still create a stage stage in which they are being perceived. So my idea was to use this stage and the medium they've chosen - video via webcam - to portrait them. Not necessarily in a sexualised manner, but more of a classic portrait (I would like them to be in their work attire, but not to perform).

So I was wondering if any of you would be willing to sit for me or if you have any other ideas on how to approach performers for this project?! I'd be very happy to provide proof in a private mesaage that I'm in fact a professional and serious photographer and not some creep trying to get a free ride. I could either send this to an admin/mod or provide it individually for whoever considers to participate.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Do you intend to take the pictures through screen caps of our rooms? Or are you planning on traveling to see the models in person?

While I would love to travel and shoot everyone in person, I actually plan on using screencaps - to stick with the medium, which is quite special to this line of work.

Why not just log onto MFC or some other site and offer models compensation for posing? Art for art's sake and all, but cam models are professional models. Models get paid for non-sexual activities all the time. Heck, some models only get paid for non-sexual activity.

You might want to be more precise in explaining where you are planning to exhibit the photos. Not every cam model is comfortable with the whole world seeing them on cam at work. Lack of exposure away from cam sites isn't something most models mind.

Eclectic_Marxism said:
So I was wondering [...] if you have any other ideas on how to approach performers for this project?

In terms of approaching performers, I'd be forthcoming with your name. Pretty sure Toledano was forthcoming with phone sex operators. Ditto diCorcia with strippers.

I'd also be sure to use a model release. Without consent, you're just a capper.

The CamgirlBRB project is interesting. Are you doing anything with it (beyond the tumblr)? You could make a really compelling edit with what you have.

Dear Sevrin, I appreciate the input, but I've made it a strict rule of mine to not pay people for my personal projects. I don't want my portraits to be based on a financial transaction, but on my sincere interest in the person and their lifestyle.
You have a very good point about explaining how I will use the photos. While this project isn't commisioned by anyone, there are two (German) magazines I presented the idea to and both would be interested in publishing the project - but depending on how things go, I would like to maybe turn it into a (self-published) book as well.

And Alexandra, thank you for your reply! I definitely will be using a model release - I think that's one of the few things I learned at art school.

And I guess you have a point, you can find my website and portfolio here: www.christophmack.com

Reactions: Alexandra Cole
I've made a strict rule as well not to pay anyone for personal projects. They're just models, not really people whose days I'm cutting into to ask them to do this favor for free. :)

You'll probably want to look elsewhere for girls to help you with this project. Most girls on ACF are very intelligent and business minded when it comes to our work and likely aren't going to go out of their way to help you for free. There's another gentleman on this forum who is doing an art project with camgirls but he isn't asking them to do anything out of the ordinary. He's just stopping by their room while they're online. If you did something similar that'd be one thing but basically you're wanting these girls to do a webcam show and pose for you. Honestly, your desire to not pay makes this come across like someone with a "frozen" fetish looking for a free show. Even painters who paint models generally pay their model unless it's a "hey best friend / gf, will you pose for me?"

Eclectic_Marxism said:
Dear Sevrin, I appreciate the input, but I've made it a strict rule of mine to not pay people for my personal projects. I don't want my portraits to be based on a financial transaction, but on my sincere interest in the person and their lifestyle.

I'll let you in on a secret no one else in the entire world gives a shit about your personal projects. They are YOUR interests. So why the hell would anyone else waste their time helping you for free? (hint: they don't)

The first rule of being a professional photographer is pay your models, like a "professional." If you can't do that your just another freaking amateur who's spent too much money on camera equipment.

Wow, at first this sounded interesting, but your statement there just put you on the special bus. Seriously, go back to taking pictures of leaves. You don't have to pay them.

Attachments

• haha-avengers262.jpg
    haha-avengers262.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 173
  • haha.png
    haha.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 173
  • flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
    flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 173
  • calvinhobbes1.jpg
    calvinhobbes1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 173
  • a_560x375.jpg
    a_560x375.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 173
Alexandra Cole said:
JerryBoBerry said:
I'll let you in on a secret no one else in the entire world gives a shit about your personal projects.

What's with the hostility?

His work's fantastic. He might have difficulty finding a cam model who will pose for free, but I don't think that merits a barrage of personal attacks.
His work might be the best out there. But to not be willing to pay a model just because it's a personal project is silly. Borders on ludicrous. Definitely not professional.

Hell, even amateurs just starting out offer to send the model an 8X10 glossy of their photo in return for posing for them. They may not be able to financially compensate them but they still recognize the models value for posing and offer something. AMATEURS know better than that. I'm still shaking my head at his statement. Geez, that basic concept is pretty much in every single photography book out there.

Alexandra Cole said:
I know plenty of professional photographers who don't pay when they work on personal projects.

I wouldn't recommend it in this case, but it's not unusual.

You know professional photographers who ask people to pose for them for free with NO compensation whatsoever? Not even a free set of prints from the shoot or a copy of the digital negatives for the model to use however they want? No compensation at all?

ETA: The "hostility" stems from the fact that his "strict rule" not to pay for personal projects is insulting tot he models he is asking to work for free.

Reactions: LadyLuna
I do, yes. When the work's commissioned, they pay. When the work isn't commissioned, they don't pay. I also know photographers who always pay because models who work for free can be very demanding.

I think it's a given that if you think you should be paid for your time, you shouldn't pose for free. But some people do pose for free. Maybe they're interested in the project or they like his work or they dig having their picture taken or they want usage rights. I'm assuming he's looking for those people.

And his "strict policy" comment looks like it's about preserving a kind of integrity.

(That said, EMarxist, if it's about your sincere interest in the model, I think you'll have to pay. Otherwise, you'll be forced to narrow your options down so that it's less about your artistic decisions and more about who's willing to work for free, which, ironically, makes it more about money than it does about your work.)

Reactions: LadyLuna
I also bothered to come in and get to know the community for a while before making any requests of people, and even then, I made sure to lay all of my cards on the table up front, and be as transparent with my process as I can. I'm not saying he's not trustworthy or that his project wouldn't be worth doing, but when all we've got to go on from a person is nothing but the request itself, what I am saying is there currently not enough information about him one way or another. That does put him in a bit of hole from the outset.

The best strategy I can advise, especially when dealing with women who are used to getting paid, is to take the time to cultivate relationships with models before making the request. Hang out here on this forum, and participate, so that people can get used to seeing you around, and know that you're not a creep. Find models that you click with, and just hang with them for awhile. If you're not a total creep (and you sincerely don't strike me as one) then I've found that it's not hard to make the request. If you have samples of work that you can show, that would be helpful, as well. I'm willing to give the location of my portfolio to those who ask, and I have posted some quick drawings and painting progress pics to the Art thread, so that people know that I am an artist (or at least fancy myself as such) and not a con artist.

You have to understand that the hostility in this thread comes from the fact that people come in here on a weekly basis with a new scam that they try to run by these models. They're all pretty savvy women, and having to deal with guys who think they are clever enough to pull one over on them has, as you can imagine, made them a bit jaded to these sorts of proposals from strangers. However, being in the same position of wanting to work with these models, but having not much to compensate them with, I have found that they are giving people. The fact that they are already making a job of being in front of a camera, I have found, means that at least approaching them with a proposal to make them into artwork tends to go over pretty well. But I make sure to do everything possible to show them that I can be trusted with their likeness, and that I'm not after anything that they would be unwilling to give.

For what it's worth, I think you have a dandy idea, and I hope it does take off. I would love to follow the progress. It doesn't strike me as a project that necessarily needs a short time frame, so maybe just taking that time to make yourself known within the community is what it will take. Again, hang out here for awhile, and participate. Find some models who intrigue you, and visit their room. Prove that you are an artist who is interested in THEM, and I believe that they will return that interest. It happened for me, after all. These ladies have been nothing but generous and patient with me as I work on my own project. I don't see any reason why they couldn't be the same for you, as long as you do the work to let them know you're worth their time and attention.

:twocents-02cents:

My only issue with compensation would be if you get free models and then profit of the work (like if the interested magazines pay for it).
I know nothing about art or how that all works, but I think if you plan to sell it then some kind of compensation would be fair to the models.

For a random person who comes into my room asking me to pose for a screen shot, I will ask them for a 20-token tip on MFC, or 2 gold through streamate and get their promise that they don't make any money off of it without tipping me a bit of the profits.

For a person who has been a regular in my room contributing to the conversation long enough, asking if I can sit still for a few seconds so they can take a screen-shot, that is free, with the same request for a bit of the profits in the way of tips should they make anything off of it.

There is a third option. If you tell me what your birthday is now, when it next rolls around (assuming it's longer than a week away), you can pop into my room, remind me that you told me about your birthday and that I said you could have a free pose for a min or so.

Just be warned that I will have to have something off-cam moving to sit still for that minute. I literally can't sit still for long, so I tend to bounce on my bed.

LadyLuna said:
For a random person who comes into my room asking me to pose for a screen shot, I will ask them for a 20-token tip on MFC, or 2 gold through streamate and get their promise that they don't make any money off of it without tipping me a bit of the profits.

For a person who has been a regular in my room contributing to the conversation long enough, asking if I can sit still for a few seconds so they can take a screen-shot, that is free, with the same request for a bit of the profits in the way of tips should they make anything off of it.

There is a third option. If you tell me what your birthday is now, when it next rolls around (assuming it's longer than a week away), you can pop into my room, remind me that you told me about your birthday and that I said you could have a free pose for a min or so.

Just be warned that I will have to have something off-cam moving to sit still for that minute. I literally can't sit still for long, so I tend to bounce on my bed.

I think if I understand correctly he won't be visiting us on our camsites, I think he wants us to Skype or something. He said not performing. Idk.

Wow, this has somewhat blown up over night.

First of all, I appreciate everyone commenting on this thread, I've done some research beforehand, but I'm still learning about the dynamics of the webcam business.

I'll try to address everyone's concern as good as I can, but I probably won't be able to dissipate everyone's doubts about me or my project, but maybe they will grow less over time. For those of you that missed my post above, you can find my website (including my contact info) and my portfolio here: www.christophmack.com . As you can see, I don't take photos of leaves, my work revolves around people and that's what I'm most interested in.

I see that one of your biggest concerns is me not wanting to pay whoever decides to participate in this project and that paying for people is what would make me a "professional". First of all: I am a professional photographer in the sense that my only source of income is my photography and I've been able to live a decent life off of it ever since I graduated from art school (three years ago). My work has been published in numerous national and international magazines.
Not offering any monetary compensation for people involved in my personal projects has always been a principle of mine and frankly, that's pretty normal in the business. Half of the magazines I work for don't pay me and I still work for them, because they allow me to be involved in great projects. And Alexandra, you have a point in saying that it might limit my choices, but for me, those weren't any choices to begin with. I just spent three weeks working on another project of mine in East Africa and whenever people said they were only willing to participate if I paid them, I politely declined, thanked them and moved on. I don't want a financial transaction to be the base of my personal work and I think while it might be limiting at first, it will help me get better, closer, more interesting shots in the long run - since it's not only about my interest in the person, but also about their interest in me and my project. This mutual interest in creating something worth the time you spent on it, is what makes for a good project.

And I don't mean to insult anyone by not offering any money, I realize that all of you work very hard for the money you make and have a lot of people trying to scam you. I'm not one of them and would be more than happy to prove it to anyone who is interested in my project.

To Jessi and everyone else that's been wondering about how I plan on realizing this project: I do want to use somewhat low-quality screencaps, I like the low resolution and the compression aterfacts because they're so inherent to the medium, video via webcam. I'm not too sure if using Skype or the cam website would be better, I'd prefer the camwebsite, but I'm not too sure about the legal implications of using screencaps of their video streams.

That's it for now, please feel free to ask any more questions, be it on here or via PM.

The copyright of any images broadcast via a cam site is property of the cam site.

I can't say that your mention of building a portfolio, as a West European, on the back of East Africans without compensating them makes me feel any warmer or fuzzier toward you.

Status
Not open for further replies.