AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Thoughts on Helping a Studio Model Get Started on her Own

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2013
Hey everyone... first post.

I've become close to a Romanian model, and we're trying to get her set up on her own rather than working in a studio. I've referred her here and have been reading a lot of the posts directed to new models. I wanted to check for any feedback on her/our plan of action, as well as get any advice for transitioning from a studio to freelancing (it seems most of the posters here are American models, but maybe someone will have insight).

Things I'm sending her:
Laptop (power supply is rated for up to 240v, so it should be fine in Romania with the plug adapter)
Power plug adapter
Logitech c920 webcam
2 ~10 foot USB type-A extension cords (this might be overkill, but I figure this will allow her to position the cam to her liking)
Mini-tripod
Wireless Logitech keyboard + mouse combo

She'll be responsible for:
Lighting
Internet

Things we haven't fully addressed yet:
Setting up her profile

Two specific questions (that searching the forum hasn't adequately resolved for me):
- Does using a wireless connection vs. plugging in an ethernet cable directly make any significant difference for you? We're assuming the wireless connection will be stable, but I can't really speak to what her internet setup will be like. I ask, because the ethernet port on the laptop is pretty finicky.
- As models, what are some of the ways you get a good room environment going, particularly when people aren't talking? This has been discussed a bit on the posts I've seen, but I wouldn't mind seeing it get fleshed out a bit more.

Thanks for any advice/feedback.

Re: Thoughts on Helping a Studio Model Get Started on her Ow

You seem to responsible for quite a lot here :think:

parceque said:

I've become close to a Romanian model, and we're trying to get her set up on her own rather than working in a studio. I've referred her here and have been reading a lot of the posts directed to new models. I wanted to check for any feedback on her/our plan of action, as well as get any advice for transitioning from a studio to freelancing (it seems most of the posters here are American models, but maybe someone will have insight).

Things I'm sending her:
Laptop (power supply is rated for up to 240v, so it should be fine in Romania with the plug adapter)
Power plug adapter
Logitech c920 webcam
2 ~10 foot USB type-A extension cords (this might be overkill, but I figure this will allow her to position the cam to her liking)
Mini-tripod

Lighting
Internet

Setting up her profile

Two specific questions (that searching the forum hasn't adequately resolved for me):
- Does using a wireless connection vs. plugging in an ethernet cable directly make any significant difference for you? We're assuming the wireless connection will be stable, but I can't really speak to what her internet setup will be like. I ask, because the ethernet port on the laptop is pretty finicky.
- As models, what are some of the ways you get a good room environment going, particularly when people aren't talking? This has been discussed a bit on the posts I've seen, but I wouldn't mind seeing it get fleshed out a bit more.

Having the option to have ethernet cable plugged in is always best. I dont always use it, but if im having any trouble its one of the first things i try to fix stuff.

Reactions: parceque

sweetiebatman said:
You seem to responsible for quite a lot here :think:

Is the implication that you think she's taking advantage of me?

Miss_Lollipop said:
Having the option to have ethernet cable plugged in is always best. I dont always use it, but if im having any trouble its one of the first things i try to fix stuff.

Thanks. I think I should be able to find a cheap USB ethernet adapter to send.

One big problem I've seen with SOME studio models who went on their own is that they end up having difficulty sticking to the same type of work schedule they had when they were working for someone else. Now if her objective is to have more time for other things, that's great, but she might end up making less per pay period than she earned before she switched if she has a hard time getting herself on cam.

Another thing I've seen is that models underestimated the technical problems they might encounter with upload speed, camera settings, etc. I know one who spent a lot of money on a great camera with a remote and then ended up using a cheap camera because she wasn't able to figure out how to get a decent video feed out of the better one. That's something the model should think about up front. Unless she's technically inclined, it would be very helpful if she had someone to support her via remote access or, ideally, on site.

And she obviously should get the best internet connection she can afford, and order it well in advance. Even in large cities in those countries, getting an ISP to install her connection or, heaven forbid, help with problems can involve very long waits.

I think a good ethernet cable with really solid plugs would work better than a USB cable. USB connectors can be even more delicate than ethernet, and they pull out even easier. If she wants to go with wireless occasionally for a shower show or whatever, she should get a good router rather than rely on the one her ISP provides, and make sure that it's properly secured.

Reactions: parceque

Thanks Sevrin. You've pointed out some important considerations.

Sevrin said:
Another thing I've seen is that models underestimated the technical problems they might encounter with upload speed, camera settings, etc. I know one who spent a lot of money on a great camera with a remote and then ended up using a cheap camera because she wasn't able to figure out how to get a decent video feed out of the better one. That's something the model should think about up front. Unless she's technically inclined, it would be very helpful if she had someone to support her via remote access or, ideally, on site.

I think we'll plan on making sure everything is up and running before she makes the transition. I think she'll pick things up quickly, but it will definitely be helpful to have tech support. I'll ask her what resources she'll have for troubleshooting on-site. I'm fine playing tech support over Teamviewer, RDC, or another tool. Obviously that only works when he's up and running on a good connection, though.

Sevrin said:
And she obviously should get the best internet connection she can afford, and order it well in advance. Even in large cities in those countries, getting an ISP to install her connection or, heaven forbid, help with problems can involve very long waits.

I hadn't thought about it, but it seems like upload speed should be a primary consideration.

Sevrin said:
I think a good ethernet cable with really solid plugs would work better than a USB cable. USB connectors can be even more delicate than ethernet, and they pull out even easier. If she wants to go with wireless occasionally for a shower show or whatever, she should get a good router rather than rely on the one her ISP provides, and make sure that it's properly secured.

Those are very good points. I think I have an extra 50 ft cat 5e around that I can send. The ethernet port on the laptop works, it's just a bit loose for the male part (heyooo?). It seems like that's still a better option than a USB adapter, though. I do have an extra router I can send (Linksys e2000 running Tomato) that will be very stable. I can set the SSID and password and connect the laptop to it here, so it should basically be plug and play once the modem is set up.

You should probably investigate her legal requirement with the studio. Did she sign a contract? Does it have a non-compete clause where she's prohibited from working on affiliate cam sites for a certain amount of time after quitting?

Even if she doesn't have a contract, the studio may make things hard for her. Regardless of what you think of the studio, they have still invested time and money in her. She should tell no one that she's leaving and she should wait a while before starting over. She should say she's moving, going to school, got another job, whatever. Go off cam for a while. When she starts back up, she should have a completely different name so that the studio can't easily find her. Any chats you have with her on MFC are saved in her account and the studio will be able to read them later. Be careful what you say there.

How is her earnings potential? How long has she been at this and what's her camscore? Is it really going to be worth all this trouble? That is, does she make enough for this to support her? From what you have listed, you're talking at least a few hundred dollars with the stuff and shipping. How long will it take for her to make that back? I know you want to help her, but it may not really make a big difference in her income if she's just making a few bucks a day. Two times nothing is still nothing.

From a security standpoint, she shouldn't use your equipment. This is nothing personal because I don't know anything about you, but who knows what could be loaded on that laptop or router. I'm not saying you would do this, but you could have loaded boot-sector viruses or root kits that would capture keystrokes and send it back to you. It is a huge security risk to take a laptop from a stranger like this. She should wipe the hard drive, boot sector and all, and reinstall. Or you can buy her one from amazon.co.uk and have it shipped to her.

It is great you're helping her out. Hopefully this leads to her being more independent and secure. Just don't get too emotionally invested.

My friend I met though MFC started off in a studio, and didn't really realize it until we discussed what percent of tokens we each made. (she only make half of what i was making per token)

So I helped her get started with her own account.
Her earnings went down a lot (even though she was making a higher percent on each token), IDK why, she is a nice girl, sexy, and does exactly what she had been doing on cam before we switched her to her new account.

I think maybe the studio had been tipping her to keep her camscore up? I am not sure if studios do this, but she lost a few "regulars" with the change (which i assume may have been studio affiliates)

Most of this is assumption, but I would just let her know that her earnings may not be the same off the bat and that she will need to work really hard as an individual model to get new regulars and tippers without the help from a studio.

parceque said:

Things I'm sending her:
Power plug adapter
Logitech c920 webcam
Mini-tripod

Lighting
Internet

Setting up her profile

Make the laptop an i7 :3 also, don't worry about the internet. The wireless routers are quite cheap here and also the fast internet she needs. Before she goes on herself, tell her to make sure she closes all the accounts the studio created.

Status
Not open for further replies.