AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

I've always wondered...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2013
First of all, I'm new here. Guess you could say I found this forum randomly but I'm definitely intrigued because I've never found a camgirl hangout before.

Anyway...I've wondered many things about camgirls, but the thing that comes to mind now is..

It's hard to know how profitable webcams are with so many factors involved and different parties taking a cut (model, network, and maybe affiliate)

How many of you do this as a side gig to your primary job? Or, is it profitable enough to support yourself alone? And if you have a primary job, what do you do?

I know the answers can and will vary a lot, but still curious.

I'm a full-time student, so I am a bit outside the question I guess. This is a side gig to school, but it's my main source of income.

This is my primary job... I can't say I'm making a lot of money... but just enough to leave a decent life.

I remember reading a while ago about a man who made his living collecting gold dust from the sidewalk cracks on Wall Street. He'd scoop up every shiny piece of dirt, go home, rinse it all off, and spend hours sifting through debris. He'd even sometimes end up with tiny gemstones that would drop from the pockets of jewelers. He'd then take all the bits of gold and gemstones and would sell them for profit. That was his sole job, and he earned enough to make a decent living off it.

Point being, you can make a living at almost anything if you're working hard enough for it. You're right, there's so many factors and variety for each model, you can't really get a good idea at how profitable it is. I'd say the majority of the girls that try camming don't make enough money to quit their day job. (Just going off the "3 months" statistic everybody throws around)

My only job is camming, but I'm also married and my husband brings in a normal paycheck. We live comfortably, and he only makes slightly more than me. I usually make slightly more in a month than I did when I worked a vanilla job. But I don't need to work 60+hour weeks like I did back then to achieve it. Honestly, as long as I'm making more than minimum wage, while still choosing my own schedule and enjoying my job, I'll take it as an improvement from my prior job.

:eek: I might get a stern talking to for this but really? :eek: I don't want to be negative but I myself would not walk onto a construction site and ask the crews how much money they make or stroll into the clubhouse of the local golf course to inquire about the income and profits of the owners. Can you imagine the the reaction you would receive walking into any small business to ask them the same form of question?

No offence but this is a very odd question to randomly ask. What's the purpose of the question? Are you interested in the profession yourself and seeking clarification and more information on the subject?

Why ask about what type of secondary profession they have, why not just inquire if this is their only form of income? Is it for research purpose to identify the demographics of cam models or to fulfill some personal curiosity?

If it there was no profit in it, I don't think you would find so many women logging 40-60 hours on camera saying "Yes, of course I'm wet for you BB" or "Yeah, I want to see you stroke it" and if they are working those hours, simple mathematical deduction would tell you it's a full-time gig.

Obviously every lady/model is different and it all comes down to how much they are willing to work and how well they market themselves but, yeah.

Still can't understand the purpose to your question....but oh well.

Apparently questions about how much a bunch of total strangers earn is only considered rude in real life. I get people asking crap like this constantly. I guess because they're curious, but yes, it is a very rude question to ask.

In response to your question, yes, it is possible to make an extremely large amount of money off camming. If you just read through the myfreecams wiki you'll find out that the highest earner of each month possibly earns between $50k and $75k. Though I have never been that high I've never had those numbers confirmed. There are about 100 models who could be earning $13k plus. I've done this once and it was extremely hard work. It is no joke and most models will never get there. Some models become extremely successful because they find people who like them and have money and life is easier for them, some models work their arses off. Two of the girls who are in/around the top 20 at the moment and last month work every single day for really long hours, much more work than they'd ever do in a real job and I personally find camming a lot more mentally/physically draining and stressful. Yet other girls who are also earning the same amount as them at the end of the month get to take time off and only work a shift a day when they do.

Chances are as a camgirl you will go through fairly long periods of earning around minimum wage. So yes, if you don't find it that stressful to work regular hours then you could easily live off it. I've personally been living happily off camming for the past 2 years, and honestly, I'm not really all that consistent with my hours. I earn enough to survive and that's about it.

You really might as well say to an actor/actress "can you earn enough money to live by doing this?", because it's very similar. Some actors/actresses hit the big time, some do moderately well, some earn enough to make ends meet, and some have to struggle along trying to juggle several jobs. Some have lows, followed by highs and followed by lows again. It is an inconsistent job. Sure a girl might earn 10 grand one month, but she might barely earn anything the following months.

A big new girl mistake is realising how much money is possible and then expecting to make that. One I did once and still sometimes do, is calculate just how much money I could make and try and plan my life around that. For me it rarely works. Some days you just cannot stand the idea of getting on camera.

RedneckHick said:
:eek: I might get a stern talking to for this but really? :eek: I don't want to be negative but I myself would not walk onto a construction site and ask the crews how much money they make or stroll into the clubhouse of the local golf course to inquire about the income and profits of the owners. Can you imagine the the reaction you would receive walking into any small business to ask them the same form of question?

It's asked all the time in practically every other field out there. You think it's a bad idea to know what the job pays before you decide to go into it? Makes getting a college degree kind of stupid if you don't even know what kind of income you could expect once you graduate.

This job is naturally a source of curiosity because it isn't tracked as closely as almost every other field out there. So this seems like the perfect place to come ask.

If some people want to not disclose their income that's fine but just asking for a general idea from people who are willing to share isn't that much of a crime. Let's not treat it like it's some national secret or something. The wages for every other line of work out there is public information freely distributed to anyone...so, YES, they do go in and ask employers what they pay their employees.

Here. Information on pretty much every type of job out there, not a secret at all.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm

JerryBoBerry said:
This job is naturally a source of curiosity because it isn't tracked as closely as almost every other field out there. So this seems like the perfect place to come ask.

The reason that it's not closely tracked is because it's not a flat per-hour rate that's standard across the board.

If some people want to not disclose their income that's fine but just asking for a general idea from people who are willing to share isn't that much of a crime. Let's not treat it like it's some national secret or something. The wages for every other line of work out there is public information freely distributed to anyone...so, YES, they do go in and ask employers what they pay their employees.

Aside from it really being nobodys business what an independent contractor earns per hour, publicly posting actual incomes or hourly wages seems like a recipe for butthurt for some guys, especially if they earn considerably less at their job.

JerryBoBerry said:
It's asked all the time in practically every other field out there. You think it's a bad idea to know what the job pays before you decide to go into it? Makes getting a college degree kind of stupid if you don't even know what kind of income you could expect once you graduate.

Here. Information on pretty much every type of job out there, not a secret at all.

What the heck, I'll entertain this for the time being.

Now, it's complete public information and no secret that models on MFC receive 5 cents per token earned. I don't think anyone would have a problem disclosing that. Now, let's rephrase that and ask how many tokens they earn and there lies the issue.

To provide you with another analogy. Approach a waitress/waiter/bartender and ask them what is the hourly rate they receive from the establishment, most would be happy to give you that information and you could get that information from countless other sources. Now ask those same individuals how much money they make in tips and that's the difference.

To be fair to the OP, they haven't asked what anyone earns, or how many tokens a cam girl might be tipped, or anything particularly probing.

All that's being asked is

Is the money a cam girl takes home after MFC/the studio/the tax man/whoever have taken their cut, enough to survive on?

and

If it's not, and a second job is needed, what kinds of (non-camming) jobs do cam girls have?

Maybe this person knows someone who is looking to cam (or maybe they're looking to cam themselves) and is looking for info that isn't listed on cam sites themselves. Everything asked is pertinent and relevant to someone looking to cam. Or maybe the OP is just being nosy. I don't know. But either way, nothing of a personal nature is really being asked :twocents-02cents:

mynameisbob84 said:
To be fair to the OP, they haven't asked what anyone earns, or how many tokens a cam girl might be tipped, or anything particularly probing.

All that's being asked is

Is the money a cam girl takes home after MFC/the studio/the tax man/whoever have taken their cut, enough to survive on?

and

If it's not, and a second job is needed, what kinds of (non-camming) jobs do cam girls have?

Maybe this person knows someone who is looking to cam (or maybe they're looking to cam themselves) and is looking for info that isn't listed on cam sites themselves. Everything asked is pertinent and relevant to someone looking to cam. Or maybe the OP is just being nosy. I don't know. But either way, nothing of a personal nature is really being asked :twocents-02cents:
Was going to point this out, thank you sir for doing your usual "Voice of Reason" post. :thumbleft:

JerryBoBerry said:
RedneckHick said:

@RedneckHick: I think you are misinterpreting my post. As someone who has worked 40+ hours per week for the last 6 years at the same job since graduating college at 23, I am respectfully INTRIGUED by this profession and whether one can earn a sustainable income from it, particularly since, in recent years (or maybe even longer) the webcam industry has been crushing it in the online adult industry, so there is natural curiosity here.

I think JerryBoBerry hit it on the head with: "This job is naturally a source of curiosity because it isn't tracked as closely as almost every other field out there. So this seems like the perfect place to come ask."

But at no point did I ask "how much" camming makes. I probably wouldn't trust figures from a FAQ on a cam site anyway, since, not that I've actually looked at it, but I would be kinda surprised if they didn't fudge the numbers to make it more appealing to people that were interested.

So if I came off as rude, my bad, because that DEFINITELY was not my intention. I have respect for anyone that can take advantage of a convenient OPPORTUNITY to bank more when it presents itself, especially by recognizing and making the most of something you have - whether it's an ability, talent, beauty - whatever it is, and I believe we ALL have something we can use to our advantage to get in on this literal gold mine that is the Internet, and I pity anyone that lets this overall opportunity go to waste. Incidentally, I make money online myself on the side, including but not limited to promoting webcams, which is yet another reason for my curiosity. Sorry to offend you.

This is my career, as in only source of income. Currently I earn enough to provide for my family unit (spouse, infant, 2 large dogs and myself). Except for 1/3 of the rent that our kid's "uncle" pays to live with us, I also cover the majority of his in home needs as well.

I also do the majority of the parenting and house work. Camming has been my career for a month and a half shy of 3 years now. During that time my spouse and I have traded who carries the financial weight of the family as he tries to find a career that suits us. Right now he is a stay at home daddy that is considering going back to school.

Reactions: CharlotteLace
alexandercross said:
I probably wouldn't trust figures from a FAQ on a cam site anyway, since, not that I've actually looked at it, but I would be kinda surprised if they didn't fudge the numbers to make it more appealing to people that were interested.

Yeah I thought that too when I first started camming, but actually it's quite the opposite, the numbers myfreecams has on their FAQ are less than what the top models are actually making (unless they've updated the numbers- I haven't checked). The only thing they definitely do make out on myfreecams is that it's much easier to make that sort of money than it is. They don't lie, you really can make big money if you put the time in, but webcamming for long hours is no joke. It can be ok if you're in the right mindset and have the right people in your room, but sometimes camming longer than an hour or two at one time is really difficult. When I did my top 100 month I had to cam two different shifts, because of this if meant I had to give up most of my life. I'd wake up, get ready for camming, cam. Stop camming after 2-4 hours, be exhausted, have some quiet time, eat food, then I'd have to get on cam a few hours later, a nice break, but not enough time to really do anything, and after camming in the evening it'd be time for settling down for bed. I had to quit riding my horse that month besides my days off (I only had 3 of them and it was stormy on two), because doing that kind of exercise made me so sleepy in the evening it was impossible for me to cam.
Since that month I've barely had the energy to get back there, so have earned very little this month so far. For me my biggest challenge isn't camming itself, it's having the energy to actually get on cam and stay there for a decent shift. So yes, in theory you can make bank, but not all women can mentally work on cam enough to ever do that.

Reactions: Sevrin
I have a boring unsexy retail job. I'll probably cut my availability to have more time for camming after the holiday rush is over. Going off my earnings from when I briefly cammed 2 years ago, it is more than enough to pay the bills alone. However, for various reasons I'm going to keep my "normal" job for a while.

Reactions: Gen
My income varies widely.

If i work hard and smart, I can make 6 figures before taxes. Its my full time job, and I am the sole provider for my family of 2 adults, and 2 dogs, in an expensive city.

I will say though, camming at that level.. it takes over your fucking life. the first thing I do when I wake up is text good morning and snapchat pics to my snapchat buddies. Before i go to bed I do the same thing. it's not like a 9-5 job where you go home and you're 'off' - i took yesterday 'off cam' but still ended up spending hours rendering video, uploading it, updating it on my profile, tweeting, blogging and chatting biz with a few cam models for an upcoming trip to AEE/Avns.

We have a nice enough rental house, We pay all our bills, and have enough money left over to donate a fair bit of money to animal rescue, as well as indulging relatively costly hobbies, and eating out a fair bit. We like to travel, and can do some travelling with our current income, but not enough to go travel the world (like we'd love to).

I"ve been camming full time for three years. The first 3 months I had my primary job, and left that as camming became far far more profitable.

I cam full time. If you check out my profile near the bottom is a calendar showing all the stuff I plan on doing every day. I don't know how much work every camgirl does, but I figure you can at least get an idea from that. (I'm not meaning that you might be saying we don't work, but trying to show how much work per how much a girl might be earning) I was living with roommates for a point and moved quite a few times this year. Due to moving (which caused me to not be consistent for a while) it was a big dent in the income, and roommates moved out causing me to have to move to a cheaper place...I just moved, and I'm figuring with how things are I should be fine by January as long as I'm consistent. I personally believe that either way a camgirl really should love her camming career, otherwise it'll bite you in the butt later on if you decide to quit and can't say go into a teaching job.

Camming like any freelance gig is feast or famine a bunch of the time.

I really enjoy camming, I was doing just fine before I started doing it but this has been a dream of mine for 10 years. I don't plan to live off it but I am having to work so I would like to make money from it. Like any job anyone does in the vanilla world or this one we all like to get some kind of credit for what we put in plain and simple. I might do this for fun but I still except to get some good ratings and paid for my work. I have to pay for my internet, electricity for lights, and outfits to please everyone. If you think a girl is doing a good job pay her so she can stick around.

Started part time 3 years ago with a 9-5 day job.
Currently am full time cam girl and as of recently the official spokes-cooter for a solo website.

When I started camming I was a training manager for a large telecom company. They offered me a promotion to salary, I responded with "I quit"

Full-time (about 10-20 hrs a week) cam model and full-time student. I support myself and my daughter and live comfortable, depending how many hours I put in. Camming leaves potential (for me) to slack, and sometimes, so long as my bills are paid, I do just that....

alexandercross said:
How many of you do this as a side gig to your primary job? Or, is it profitable enough to support yourself alone? And if you have a primary job, what do you do?

I know the answers can and will vary a lot, but still curious.

A side gig to my primary job.
It can be profitable to support a single person, sure.
What is my primary job? Horny housewife bb! (Some girls like to keep their primary job and side gig separate)

Camming is my only job, and I live comfortably. I do much better than most people my age.
That being said, the work doesn't end when I sign off, and the sporadic earnings fuck with my head and can be a major source of anxiety (but when things are going well, its very rewarding and fun).

Reactions: AwesomeKate
Jessi said:
Camming is my only job, and I live comfortably. I do much better than most people my age.
That being said, the work doesn't end when I sign off, and the sporadic earnings fuck with my head and can be a major source of anxiety (but when things are going well, its very rewarding and fun).

Same, although I promote on social networks and stuff less, so I'm not constantly busy with that stuff. But videos alone take a lot of time to make and edit and send out when I'm not on cam.

Camming is my only source of income. I dont quite make enough to live off of. I dont live in a particularly pricey area, or live a crazy fancy life - Im taking tiny studio apt, just enough decent food to live off of, camming supplies, and bills- I dont tend to go out often, or go shopping a lot, I live very bare bones/comfortableish for the most part. I dont really make many sacrifices, but I also dont get to do a lot of the stuff I *want* to do. Ive been slowly draining my savings account to stay afloat. But it can (and will) be enough - I just need to start working more. It really doesnt just begin and end with time on cam though, even though I dont work a ton of hours on cam, its constantly on my mind and Im constantly interacting with members outside of the site. The wild income fluctuations, inconsistency, and unreliability are incredible stressful - this is easily the most stressful job I have ever had. That said, I also really enjoy it, so to me its worth it.

Reactions: Poker_Babe
Status
Not open for further replies.