AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Transitioning from part time to "full"...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymay

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Oct 22, 2013
LA
www.mellymay.com
Hey loves.

So, I'm generally confident in my abilities on cam. I do alright... or at least, I'm having fun, and that's most important to me in this game.
I know I'm my own worst critic though, and just that alone is what is holding me back from, I don't know, reaching my full income potential? Or something.....if that makes sense...? Full camming potential?

Anyway, on Dec 28, my main source of income, though not an astronomical sum and very fixed so that i have no extra spending money, will be coming to an end. I'm freaking out a little bit at the prospect of camming being my sole money maker. Right now, camming is a part time thing that I certainly could be more disciplined about.

Just curious to hear other ladies' experiences in transitioning in to a full time focus on camming. How did you adjust? How do you deal with the "OMG AM I GONNA MAKE RENT MONEY OR NOT?" panic that I'll inevitably have? What did you change to boost your income, ie selling more vids, alter your schedule drastically, etc? (I mean, obvs, my schedule will be changing.)

Thoughts, suggestions, input, theories, rags-to-riches stories, haiku poems, and limericks are appreciated.

Reactions: Hippy_Dollxx
mellymay said:
Hey loves.

So, I'm generally confident in my abilities on cam. I do alright... or at least, I'm having fun, and that's most important to me in this game.
I know I'm my own worst critic though, and just that alone is what is holding me back from, I don't know, reaching my full income potential? Or something.....if that makes sense...? Full camming potential?

Anyway, on Dec 28, my main source of income, though not an astronomical sum and very fixed so that i have no extra spending money, will be coming to an end. I'm freaking out a little bit at the prospect of camming being my sole money maker. Right now, camming is a part time thing that I certainly could be more disciplined about.

Just curious to hear other ladies' experiences in transitioning in to a full time focus on camming. How did you adjust? How do you deal with the "OMG AM I GONNA MAKE RENT MONEY OR NOT?" panic that I'll inevitably have? What did you change to boost your income, ie selling more vids, alter your schedule drastically, etc? (I mean, obvs, my schedule will be changing.)

Thoughts, suggestions, input, theories, rags-to-riches stories, haiku poems, and limericks are appreciated.

Sit down and go through the last years bills, find the average for each of them. Divide by 2.

Look at rent cost. Divide by 2.

Add the two together. This is now the bare minimum you need to make each paycheck (approx, don't forget taxes). Open a second bank account and every paycheck deposit this amount, do not touch it except for rent and the bills you planned for.

As for the transition, just commit to it. Commit more time. Which means more videos, more days on cam a week, maybe more hours a day. Use twitter as much as possible to promote yourself.

mellymay said:
Hey loves.

Much like you my employment suddenly came to an end, although very unexpectedly. I didn't get any time to establish myself or learn the ropes first, just dove right in as a sole source of income at probably the worst time of year to try... Five months later I can confidently say that it has been at least enough to meet my bare minimum. Stick to a schedule, treat it like you would any other job. Admin responsibilities are a big part, follow up with new tippers, offer incentives to tip, things of that sort. I didn't start with any vids at all and am very slowly building my presence with vids. Although rarely bought at full price, they're great as incentives and when I absolutely need to make more they are great to offer at a discount. Not much more to say other than do some research in Model's Only section and market yourself to the best of your ability. I'm still crap at marketing myself so that's something I need to put more of an effort into.

thanks ladies!

and plz, keep 'em coming!

if anything, marketing myself is my strength. sticking with my intended schedule is my weakness. That will be my main priority..... I have the discipline (most of the time)....I've just gotta start exercising it!

Reactions: LadyLuna
Hi Melly!

Although I chose to quit my job to dedicate myself to camming, my last day is Monday- after that, I'm on my own, so I'm right in the same boat as you!

For me, what's helped immensely is what Kamikazi said- treat it like it's a regular job.

I sat down and opened iCal and planned out what days/times I would cam, and then what hours I would use for administrative tasks. That way, my brain can't be like "oh, you have all day to do whatever you want, it's your time!" Instead, it's more "Gotta go to bed early if I wanna get to work by 9:30."

Also, definitely stalk the Models Only section, but be careful! It quickly becomes a HUGE timesuck!

so i have the same story except i decided to jump right in to full time from part time. I still bake from home and love it very much but now i cam w no vanilla job and raise a child on 1 income since I do not currently receive child support. Anyways moving to full time was the best thing I have ever done. I would get two sites and a clips4sale or a mygirlfund this way u have multiple income possibilities. With clips4sale you can set an hour (i do it in the morning) to make content and then I cam and then take a break edit content and get it up this way Im uploading clips I have content to sell on MFC/Streammate. I also dedicate specific time to cam as well. I feel like a set schedule is great for members too. Also you will be on more and you will build more customers. I have a system and i cam on 2 sites at once and this way I am always making money. After MFC dies I jump on stream mate and focus all my attention on there and am also doing doubles (camming at night too) and I can finally say I am no longer living pay check by paycheck! I have a set goal and I honestly have no other choice but to make "X" amount. If you have the ambition and patience it really pays off.

LilahMorrigan said:
Hi Melly!

Although I chose to quit my job to dedicate myself to camming, my last day is Monday- after that, I'm on my own, so I'm right in the same boat as you!

For me, what's helped immensely is what Kamikazi said- treat it like it's a regular job.

I sat down and opened iCal and planned out what days/times I would cam, and then what hours I would use for administrative tasks. That way, my brain can't be like "oh, you have all day to do whatever you want, it's your time!" Instead, it's more "Gotta go to bed early if I wanna get to work by 9:30."

Also, definitely stalk the Models Only section, but be careful! It quickly becomes a HUGE timesuck!

You could not be more right. Ever since I found this forum, I'm reading it sometimes 15 minutes before I broadcast. I can't stop!!!

Reactions: Starling
mellymay said:
Hey loves.

I jumped right into camming being my only source of income, but at the time I started, I was living off of student loan money so my needs werent as high as they are now that Im no longer doing such, plus Im in repayment of those damn loans. I havent really figured out a way to deal with the, "OMG AM I GONNA MAKE RENT MONEY OR NOT?" panic - I do that every single damn month. It is a HUUUUUUGE source of stress in my life and provides almost daily anxiety. Only reason Im not in full blown panic mode is because I had a decent amount saved up from when I was living at home and camming. Even after moving out though 6 months ago, I didnt make a ton of changes. I still sell videos, keep the same schedule more or less, etc. But as with not really changing anything, my income never increased to where I need it to be, and I need to increase my hours or get 2nd job. As it is, Im not even scraping by with an extreme bare bones budget and still living partially off of my quickly dwindling savings. I wish I had some magic advice to tell you, but I have none. Just my experience to share.

I will just say that you should prepare for slow days, weeks, months. If it works anything for you like it does for me, I cant realistically aim for a regular daily goal - some days for reasons beyond my control, Ill make shit, while the next Ill make enough to make up for the crappy ones. Same with entire weeks. Sometimes same for entire months (though not to that extreme, some months Ill make 3/4 of my goal, and then next Ill make 5/4). I cam 5-6 days a week. 3-4 of those days I likely wont even come close to making my daily goal, but typically 2 of those days Ill make 3x my daily goal. When it rains, it pours. When it doesnt rain, its a flat out drought. That is fucking stressful, and it also leads to me being terrified to take days off since I never know if that one day I dont sign on would be the day I would hit that 3x goal.

Reactions: Gen
PinkiePixi said:
mellymay said:
Hey loves.

I jumped right into camming being my only source of income, but at the time I started, I was living off of student loan money so my needs werent as high as they are now that Im no longer doing such, plus Im in repayment of those damn loans. I havent really figured out a way to deal with the, "OMG AM I GONNA MAKE RENT MONEY OR NOT?" panic - I do that every single damn month. It is a HUUUUUUGE source of stress in my life and provides almost daily anxiety. Only reason Im not in full blown panic mode is because I had a decent amount saved up from when I was living at home and camming. Even after moving out though 6 months ago, I didnt make a ton of changes. I still sell videos, keep the same schedule more or less, etc. But as with not really changing anything, my income never increased to where I need it to be, and I need to increase my hours or get 2nd job. As it is, Im not even scraping by with an extreme bare bones budget and still living partially off of my quickly dwindling savings. I wish I had some magic advice to tell you, but I have none. Just my experience to share.

I will just say that you should prepare for slow days, weeks, months. If it works anything for you like it does for me, I cant realistically aim for a regular daily goal - some days for reasons beyond my control, Ill make shit, while the next Ill make enough to make up for the crappy ones. Same with entire weeks. Sometimes same for entire months (though not to that extreme, some months Ill make 3/4 of my goal, and then next Ill make 5/4). I cam 5-6 days a week. 3-4 of those days I likely wont even come close to making my daily goal, but typically 2 of those days Ill make 3x my daily goal. When it rains, it pours. When it doesnt rain, its a flat out drought. That is fucking stressful, and it also leads to me being terrified to take days off since I never know if that one day I dont sign on would be the day I would hit that 3x goal.

I just quit my real job(almost caused me to have an aneurysm) and I'm gonna start camming full time. I think you said it best, it really depends on the tide of people that come in that particular night. I would suggest if you can putting a bit of money away from each check just in case shit hits the fan. I plan on getting a second job anyway as a safety net, but I am also extremely neurotic and check my bank account multiple times a day. Thanks for sharing these ladies!

Status
Not open for further replies.