AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Camgirlz reviews and impressions.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2012
I've been waiting for a model to start this thread, but I guess everybody is recovering from the monster party in Vegas :D
The other thread started on the topics started bad and went worse.

As kickstarter supporter, I got digital copy on release day. I've supported a couple of other kickstarter projects (games) and this is first tangible thing I've gotten from Kickstarter project. So kudos for Sean and team for delivered a finished project on time :shock:

My biggest concerned based on the trailers was that only the prettiest, most popular, and most creative models were going to be featured in the documentary. So I was quite pleased that the movie started out with "typical" camgirls, instead of top models. Overall, while I recognized the majority of models there were plenty of models I was not familiar with and that is good thing. Other than not having any non North America model I give them A for diversity.

I think they did a good job of portraying the models and as pretty ordinary woman, looking for a job that fit their lifestyle. I thought some of the best moments in the film were when models described the difficulties of finding a vanilla job and how camming freed them to have time with their kids, school etc. This is very consistent with what has been described on ACF. As an aside, I was surprise that none of the camgirls significant others, would be be described as hunks. :)

I am not sure that some one who had never seen camshow, would necessarily get feeling for what a camshow looked like. This probably my biggest criticism of the documentary it was full a 30 minutes, before the subject of masturbation, sextoys, and fetishes came up. The first 30 minutes felt like you were watching one of the soft core flicks on Showtime after dark, it wasn't until you saw Abby Rhodes and Sophia Locke on sybians that you got a sense that, camming was more than just sexily flashing boobs. While they did a good job in describing that camming is more than just masturbation, I think they left the impression that watching live sex acts wasn't a big part of the appeal and the bread and butter of most models.

A couple of models asked me if I thought the member portrayal was offensive. It certainly wasn't entirely flattering, but I think it was probably pretty accurate.

The downside of showing so many models is there wasn't enough time to develop an emotional connection to an model, so it lacked the emotional punch that many documentaries have. On the other hand, I am little tired of being emotional manipulated by documentary filmmakers pushing their agenda. So it was refreshing that Sean and team while being very supportive of camming didn't try to over hype it.

I am quite curious about the opinions of others especially models about the fillm.
1. Did you think it was an accurate portrayl?
2. Is this something you send to you family to watch to help explain you job? If so what else would you add? If not why not?

I definitely recommend watching it when gets officially released.

Visually, I thought it was super cool. And the way the represented camgirls was also pretty awesome. But to me it was sort of like a documentary about camgirls made for camgirls and members, if that makes sense.

If I didn't know what camgirls were, I still wouldn't. Camming is super interesting and fun and EXHAUSTING. Not just because of the emotional reason's they talked about but at least on MFC because there is so much off cam work. It would have been super interesting to hear about raffles and games and all the interesting things that go on other than just being pretty and chatting on cam. And it very much left out the sexual aspect, which I guess is good if you're wanting to use it as a intro to camming film for your parents but it's not very real. There was a little bit of sexuality but it was more just sorta hinted at.

As for the representation of members, I was a little "eh" on it. I guess maybe it's true but I just don't think it is? There are so many guys on MFC and I can't imagine that you can generalize it as all of them using it as a coping mechanism or because they could never dream of talking to a woman in person, let alone typing to them. I know so many happily married members, so at least some of them managed to get a woman.

Another thing that was weird for me was not identifying the girls on screen. You needed to go back and check the site later to figure out who was who.

Overall, as a camgirl it was really cool to watch, beautifully shot and super respectfully done. I just feel like it made camming look SUPER boring.

I have not seen this documentary, but have seen many others. Most cam girl documentaries I have seen, the members seem like pitiful losers and the models cold, bored, heartless, and asexual. The partners of models I usually feel for in most of them, they are usually the only ones with much heart.
I suspect you can't objectively talk of the world of camming without experiencing some of it. For example, I find models here talk of their members far more accurately and graciously than any documentary I have seen, in short the questions asked are more appropriate. Camming is far more complex than trading sex/ sexuality online for money.

I have seen almost every other Sean Dunne film, and like most of what he has done. I have liked some of his films so well that I have shared them with friends, and seen them several times myself. (Especially 'The Bowler' tho I have seen a handful of others more than once.) I was very impressed with the cinematography of Camgirlz, I think it is the most polished and high end visual look of any of his films. Kudos to DP/cinematographer Isaac Bauman.

There are many other aspects that I like a lot as well, most already mentioned above. But, to be honest, I think it failed greatly in telling any story. To me it felt like it started somewhere in the middle, never having a beginning, and never finding an end. Sean's style is very much to stay out of the way, and let the story tell itself, and in other films of his this seemed to work well, but in this one it never seemed to go anywhere IMO. There were 4 or 5 cuts to black, I figured chapter markers, but I could not really tell what was different from chapter to chapter. I guess i feel something like others who expressed that if they did not already know the story of camming, they would not by watching Camgirlz. I will watch it again in a day or two and try to find it's story, I may find what I missed the first time.

I liked it a lot, but if did feel very incomplete. It did, however, paint a pretty good picture of why I like this community as much as I do.

But as people have pointed out, it does kind of require you to be a part of the community itself if you want to have a full picture of what's going on in this world. This forum, for instance, taught me a lot more about the daily lives of the girls behind the camera than this documentary did.

The member portrayal, too, felt very bare-bones. It didn't offend me as such, but it could have benefit from a slightly wider range of us in terms of why we view camsites. Then again, this was a documentary about camgirls and not one about members.

I see a lot of people saying that there's not very much context, or you need to be part of the community to understand what it's about. I don't really agree with that; I watched it for the first time with a friend who knows barely anything about camming. She liked it a lot and so did I! At first I almost started explaining things to her but then I bit my tongue and let her ask me questions instead. The only thing I can remember her being confused about was when she asked, "What are those numbers they keep saying?" when a girl would mention how many tokens remained in a countdown.

She actually liked it so much that she wants me to teach her to be a camgirl now. :lol: So maybe it was a little too positive in its portrayal of camming life. Overall though I think it was a pretty honest picture of camgirls though. There were positive and less-positive remarks made about members. There was mention of how lucrative and amazing it can be when it's good, and how utterly devastating it can be when it's bad. There was an good range of styles and body types. I'm not saying it was ~perfect~ but I do think it was very very good.

While those of you that didn't/couldn't support the Cam Girlz campaign are waiting for the release, take a peek at the team's most recent free work, Florida Man. IMO, this is Sean and the Very Ape team in their element, driving around Florida collecting amazingly touching portraits, scenes and stories from the various socially lubricated gentlemen that they found in trailer parks and on beaches, outside of bars, convenience stores and pool halls. As always, I found the cinematography is simply stunning (despite the occasionally intrusive boom mic).

[vimeo]118532076[/vimeo]

If you watch it, I'm very curious to hear your thoughts.

Like this side of Sean's work? If so, Oxyana, his more directed - but still non-judgmental - exploration of the impact of Oxycontin in Oceana, WV, is well worth a rent or buy.

I am so glad that I was out of wine when I watched it or I would have immediately emailed the link to my parents and siblings, posted it on facebook. I loved it. It was incredibly well made and beautiful. If and when I do come out to my family, I will be showing them the video. I doubt it would change minds but that is due to their stubbornness. I absolutely think the video could and will enlighten some people.

The only thing is that I would have liked to see more about the variety of members we have. Good husbands, charming men, ridiculously sexy men that make us faint when you turn your cam on, etc. Not just lonely guys.

Artemis and Hunny were so spot on about how I see sex work and sex in general and I want to have their babies.

JickyJuly said:
Is this available through itunes or is vimeo the only source?
The public release is only on Vimeo right now. If you buy (vs rent), you can transfer it to your iTunes to e.g. play it back on iPads, iPhones. If Vimeo is impossible for you for some reason it might be worth reaching out to Sean to see if he could manage another delivery method for a community member.

Reactions: JickyJuly
I loved this documentary. It was very accurate in the portrayal of MFC camming. It was cohesive because of the way they tied in all the girls into one camming shift. I love the variety of body shapes. It was limited to North American girls probably due to budget constraints. There was a lot of spanking not so much real BDSM or fetishes which I believe is a big part of camming but, I guess that would make the documentary too long. Some day I would like to see a documentary on the cutthroat pimp nature of the studios in eastern Europe and Asia. The real corrupt stuff. Maybe that can be Camgirlz 2.

Reactions: HiGirlsRHot
Just finished watching it. It came out really well, was definitely well worth the watch. :twocents-02cents:

While I thought everyone involved looked beautiful and sounded articulate, the picture painted was a little rosier than reality in my opinion. It felt more like a recruitment video than a documentary. The description of members as lonely, socially inept dudes was kind of a bummer to me. I don't know. It wasn't as good as other Sean Dunne films I've seen even though the cast was much, much better looking.

I watched it with my boyfriend. Discussing it afterwards led us to agree that

A) it painted members as socially inept, lonely, sad people. Granted, some of the members DO fall into that category. But others are professional businessmen, married husbands looking for a friend/wank, and some are merely housebound guys who can't socialize in a normal outside venue.

B) it really shied away from games that girls play on cam, fun unique shows (it DID show a glitter show and Veronica & Slappy, so at least it had a little variety), and mainly showed them doing spanks. My boyfriend actually told me that he was under the impression that most camshows are cumshows or stripping, but the doc made it seem like spanks are all camming is. Spanks on spanks on spanks. I laughed and explained how spanks on cam usually work.

C) The video/sound quality was SPECTACULAR. I don't know what equipment they were using, but there was absolutely no background noise! I've watched so many documentaries, and there's usually minor background noise that's distracting (wind, people walking/whispering, etc). It was so clear and perfect. Hell, it sounded better than if I were talking to the girls in person!

D) We wish that they had included the spouse/boyfriends in it. Like asked them what it's like living with a camgirl. How her confidence/personality might have changed since camming. Whether they get jealous of the guys watching or having to work a 40-hour workweek. How camming has allowed them to go on family vacations more, etc.

I watched this with a sexy friend this weekend who's a fairly new sexy friend and knows little to nothing about this stuff other than a few conversations with me.

Idk we didn't get to talk about it that much because it was late and there were sexy times to be had but it's fun to watch with someone and kind of pause and explain things that've previously talked about. It starts conversations which is important Like "oh is that what you do?" "no" "do you do that?" "sometimes" etc. etc.

There were lots of the parts with the more than one girl and the tip sound on repeat and he's like "see! you just have to get another girl" like a typical dude. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.