AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Smart TVs, y/n???

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlmoe

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jun 3, 2011
from around the world and up your neighborhood...y
twitter.com
Twitter Username
@Faux_Schlmoe
MFC Username
SchhhhhhhhMOE
My trusty 42 incher finally gave up the ghost (after almost 10 years!!!). The power supply fizzled out and it's not worth replacing. I'm having to limp along with my back up...a 21 incher...720p...the horrors!!! :p

So I'm considering getting a Smart TV. And this is the time of year to get one, right? After reading reviews and customer comments, the question is: are they worth a shit? Do they justify the extra expense? Or is it better to get a "regular" (1080p) TV and a roku/netflix/prime thingy (or even use my workstation's super-duper video card to stream to the TV)?

Any comments/feedback welcome, but I'm not interested in any 4K or 3D TVs and due to ease of return, I will be purchasing at a big box, like Walmart, Target, best Buy, or the like. Thanks in advance!

I don't own a TV at all. But multiple family members own smart ones. From what I've seen of theirs they are so much slower and downright clunkier at navigating over a roku, Fire stick, android box, what have you.

It takes them longer to pull in the menus to begin with, but then searching for stuff is awkward through the poorly designed on screen menus. So I personally have never been interested in getting a smart tv. But if you can get a cheap one on Black Friday or something then who cares. If you don't like it you'll have saved enough money to justify buying a roku anyway! :D

• Helpful!
Reactions: schlmoe
My trusty 42 incher finally gave up the ghost (after almost 10 years!!!). The power supply fizzled out and it's not worth replacing. I'm having to limp along with my back up...a 21 incher...720p...the horrors!!! :p

So I'm considering getting a Smart TV. And this is the time of year to get one, right? After reading reviews and customer comments, the question is: are they worth a shit? Do they justify the extra expense? Or is it better to get a "regular" (1080p) TV and a roku/netflix/prime thingy (or even use my workstation's super-duper video card to stream to the TV)?

Any comments/feedback welcome, but I'm not interested in any 4K or 3D TVs and due to ease of return, I will be purchasing at a big box, like Walmart, Target, best Buy, or the like. Thanks in advance!
I think you'd be better off saving the money and spending the 35 dollars max it cost to buy a chromecast or similar device.

I got a Vizio smart TV last year and don't recommend it. It would constantly shut down whenever the picture was dark (ie, every scene at night) or whenever there were fast cuts. I couldn't get 10 minutes into a show or movie, it was so frustrating. I got a full refund cuz it was a known issue. Went with an HD TV and Roku, and it's been much simpler and faster and cheaper. I love my Roku lol. It also occurred to me that getting a smart TV serviced would be a huge pain in the ass, whereas a device is super easy to mail out if I need to. A regular TV is more versatile. Save your money!

• Helpful!
I have a Sony Bravia, and it is okay. It wasn't horrifically expensive BUT my model didn't come with Hulu. Which is completely ridiculous. Previously I'd used a Roku and really liked it. Honestly, save the money and just use a Roku or something.

• Helpful!
I have a regular tv and a smart blu ray player, with netflix, pandora, picasa, youtube, and vudu on it. It works pretty well but I'll admit tyhe only thing I use it for is blu rays/dvds and netflix. I'd definitely go that route again before buying a smart tv.

• Helpful!
We have a couple smart tvs but still use a Roku on them, if that says anything. :)

I have a regular tv and a smart blu ray player, with netflix, pandora, picasa, youtube, and vudu on it. It works pretty well but I'll admit tyhe only thing I use it for is blu rays/dvds and netflix. I'd definitely go that route again before buying a smart tv.
That would be an option, but...I ditched all my dvds a couple years ago and haven't looked back! However, your option seems to be the most logical if I felt the need for a smart AV device. Thanks!

Johndoe91 said:
blu rays/dvds and netflix & chill

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :p

I like my smart TV but all I use it for is Netflix haha which is silly cus I already have my PS3 hooked up to it which can play Netflix as well! But it's nice for when I want to move my PS3 to another room or play Pandora on it or youtube :)

I think that smart TVs would be a good option for people who want a really minimal sort of setup for their TV-watching space, like if you're into the idea of mounting it to a wall, and not having a mess of cords and boxes all over the place around it. But I always prefer modular components. I'd rather have a dumb TV that I can attach all my smart devices to -- which is exactly what I've done. That way, I can swap out components as necessary, and I don't have to worry about whether streamlining is going to whip around and bite me in the ass.

@Johndoe91 mentioned his Blu-Ray player, and I also have one. The funny thing is, I use it for exactly the opposite functions he does. I use several streaming apps through it, which I use every day (Hulu, Youtube, WWE Network, Amazon Prime, and Netflix) and I also make regular use of the screen mirroring function and the external media access through USB. My Blu-Ray play recognizes a far wider range of media formats than Roku, which is super awesome. So far, I've only watched one disc on the thing, although having it has caused me to start buying discs again. I will admit that the streaming function isn't as smooth or as powerful as Roku. It runs out of memory from streaming fairly often. Hell, sometimes just navigating the WWE Network causes memory crashes. But reboots are fast, and overall, I love my little Blu-Ray box. It's actually making me consider getting a PS4, so I have all the same functions, AND I could play Fallout 4.

Just as an option. If you want to use an old TV or something you could also set up a small computer to it. That way you could get all the streaming, plus web browsing and playing media files off of usb drives. Something like a Raspberry Pi 2B would do everything and still be cheaper than a roku. Currently $38 on Amazon. Leave it with the raspbian os or do a media center install on it. Add in a wireless wifi dongle and a small handheld bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo and you've got everything streaming and a full featured computer on your TV. And it's so small it could hide behind the TV and never be noticed, just velcro it right to it.

4133JwedpXL.jpg

61EudDe5efL._SL1024_.jpg

Reactions: zippypinhead
Status
Not open for further replies.