AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The death of an old friend

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryBoBerry

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jul 6, 2011
Don't get too worried, that was just a metaphor to get you to open the thread. But it's an appropriate one. This will probably be more interesting to the older crowd on the forum.

Radio Shack is no more.

Growing up during its heyday I remember going in there often. I'd buy books on electronics, kits, parts. Use to make all sorts of electronic projects as a kid. I use to live out in very rural country where school friends lived miles away. Several of us had Commodore Vic-20 computers. Back then if you typed in a program (game) the only way to store it was on tape cassette since there was no hard drives yet. Several of us would type in game code out of Compute! magazine so we could play stuff like space invaders without buying the game cartridge. Then to share them I bought all the parts at Radio Shack to build an FM radio transmitter. Simply pop the cassette in the big ole' boombox and become a radio station. Five or six other kids would all have their radio's tuned in to record the program onto their cassettes.

Don't lecture me on the illegalities of broadcasting on a set capable of transmitting 15 miles on an FM station with no license. It was the back woods and i was young and dumb. :lol:

But the thing is I remember making dozens of projects all with parts from there. Joined the electronics club in high school, Radio Shack was the main supply point for everything in the club. My brother bought the world's first 'portable' cell phone from there. It's in one of the commercials on this webpage if you look at the videos.

But cell phones is when it started to die. My other brother was a manager at a Radio Shack at the beginning of cell phones becoming popular. I remember talking to him about how this is killing the store. Because at that point they started to not stock nearly as much electronics stuff. They wiped out half the store floor space to turn it into cell phone displays. It was that point for me I went in there less and less.
I went from at least once a month, or more often, to maybe once a year. It was easier to find the parts online from then on. That was when they started to lose all their core customers.

They've made many other mistakes that just made them irrelevant since then. But you could see the writing on the wall way back then.

It's kind of sad to see they are finally done. But I think it's more like I was sad 15 years ago upon learning of a friend diagnosed with a terminal disease. Reading the news today I was merely shocked they lasted as long as they did.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-02-02/inside-radioshack-s-slow-motion-collapse

JerryBoBerry said:
It's kind of sad to see they are finally done. But I think it's more like I was sad 15 years ago upon learning of a friend diagnosed with a terminal disease. Reading the news today I was merely shocked they lasted as long as they did.
Indeed. Radio Shack was a very important part of my childhood as well, but seeing "my" Radio Shack reduced to a dusty corner in the back of the store that none of the employees bother to understand has been sad enough that I gave up on it years ago.

ramblin said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Indeed. Radio Shack was a very important part of my childhood as well, but seeing "my" Radio Shack reduced to a dusty corner in the back of the store that none of the employees bother to understand has been sad enough that I gave up on it years ago.

That was disheartening. Use to be every one in there was fully trained on stuff. You could talk to them about remote control cars or thermistor's and they'd know the answer.
Last decade they barely could figure out which adapter to use on a piece of electronics.

Reactions: ramblin
Most Radio Shacks that I've been in over the last fifteen or so years have been little more than phone kiosks with a limited inventory of overpriced stereo components. I guess I've never been much of a Radio Shack guy, though. The one in my little home town was always pretty great, but that's mostly because it was a combo Radio Shack and mom & pop tech shop. I hope it survives despite the loss of corporate branding.

I think their main problem was not getting invlved in local communities(such as sponsoring school robot/programming clubs) as well as their limited offering of DIY products. Even on the radio shack website they only were carrying the arduino board nothing else like the raspberry pi,edison,tegra platform etc.

Recently I needed a transformer, and another time a capacitor for my heat and air so I went to radio shack's website. I was remembering when I was a kid that was the store to get that kind of stuff. Turns out I was wasting my time, and I just go straight to Amazon now.

My last "major" purchase from a Radio Shack was a 28.8 Creative Labs modem. It was around C$200 and around 20 years ago. Even then, their stores started to have a whiff of irrelevance about them. Since then, any small purchase I've made in one of their stores has been tinged with pity.

I WAS JUST INSIDE ONE THE OTHER DAY! :crybaby:

... Of course I went for something simple that they didn't have nor did the clerk even know what a stick of ram meant so, no surprise.

JoleneBrody said:
I WAS JUST INSIDE ONE THE OTHER DAY! :crybaby:

... Of course I went for something simple that they didn't have nor did the clerk even know what a stick of ram meant so, no surprise.

This is a huge problem with retail in general. Stores don't want to pay people more than minimum wage, but they need a moderate amount of intelligence in order to help people and sell something. And so yet again, another store is going out if business because they should have been focusing on providing a service that you can't always get immediately on the internet. And I'm sure this is being blamed on "well online shops are doing so much better."

Radio Shack in the mall hasn't died yet, apparently.

DuoShi said:
It will be like Color Tile back in the 90's.

The corporation dies off, but individual franchise owners may hold on here and there. It becomes much tougher for them because they are no longer getting shipments from corporate, no advertising. And also no credit with any suppliers. The corporation itself would have had that and bought all the stuff then shipped it to the stores. So they'll have to scramble and apply for credit if they don't have enough cash to pay upfront for supplies. They'll have to do that for every company they want to stock. It'll be a struggle. But they are most likely legally able to keep using the Radio Shack name since they paid for it.

Under the hands of a shrewd business man/woman a few of them may even prosper better than they were since now they are free to order in whatever the heck they like. They can go full hog on all the latest electronic gadgets, return to electronic supplies and kits for building stuff. Or they could go with other brand computers. Really anything at this point since their contract with corporate would be voided now. No more restrictions of the stupid CEO's who drove it slowly into the ground.

Reactions: DuoShi
JerryBoBerry said:
DuoShi said:
It will be like Color Tile back in the 90's.

The corporation dies off, but individual franchise owners may hold on here and there. It becomes much tougher for them because they are no longer getting shipments from corporate, no advertising. And also no credit with any suppliers. The corporation itself would have had that and bought all the stuff then shipped it to the stores. So they'll have to scramble and apply for credit if they don't have enough cash to pay upfront for supplies. They'll have to do that for every company they want to stock. It'll be a struggle. But they are most likely legally able to keep using the Radio Shack name since they paid for it.

Under the hands of a shrewd business man/woman a few of them may even prosper better than they were since now they are free to order in whatever the heck they like. They can go full hog on all the latest electronic gadgets, return to electronic supplies and kits for building stuff. Or they could go with other brand computers. Really anything at this point since their contract with corporate would be voided now. No more restrictions of the stupid CEO's who drove it slowly into the ground.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the information. I go to that mall every now and again, so it'll be interesting to see what becomes of that spot.

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
This makes me sad on many levels. I loved going to Radio Shack with my dad or with my friends when I was younger for all kinds of stuff. Hell I had relatives in another state that owned a few franchises and still ran it as much like the old stores as they could so they still had a decent business. They got older and saw the direction of the top level and sold it off to move to a beach and couldn't be happier.
I don't know which played a bigger role in the downfall. The turning the store into just a glorified giant cell phone kiosk or the people they hired to work there. My local Shack for years had a few holdouts that knew what they were talking about when you went in but the rest of the locations were filled with mindless zombies just trying to get their sales numbers and had no idea what anything was other than the cell phones. It's too bad. I was hoping they could find a way to rebound.

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
I_Am_FireDawg said:
This makes me sad on many levels. I loved going to Radio Shack with my dad or with my friends when I was younger for all kinds of stuff. Hell I had relatives in another state that owned a few franchises and still ran it as much like the old stores as they could so they still had a decent business. They got older and saw the direction of the top level and sold it off to move to a beach and couldn't be happier.
I don't know which played a bigger role in the downfall. The turning the store into just a glorified giant cell phone kiosk or the people they hired to work there. My local Shack for years had a few holdouts that knew what they were talking about when you went in but the rest of the locations were filled with mindless zombies just trying to get their sales numbers and had no idea what anything was other than the cell phones. It's too bad. I was hoping they could find a way to rebound.
The training use to be a big factor in it. Originally there were training packets for every section of the store. Spec sheets, descriptions and what uses there were for every single item in the store. When my brother managed one he made sure every salesman would be knowledgeable about everything, from the new toys right down to knowing how to read resistor color codes. They all had to read it all and sign off that they had. Then he tested them to make sure they knew it. His 'expert level' test, as he called it, was to ask them to build something specific, like an AM crystal radio that didn't need batteries and didn't use one of their kits. Have it done by end of day. Yes, he actually had some do that. :lol: If they could they'd be at the top of the list for more hours if they wanted, so more commission.

That's what made it the place to go. You were sure if it was electronic they'd know the answer and could set you up with what you needed.

When they got rid of that rigorous of a training they just became more dispensable to all their customers. Bad decision there.

My dad actually got a job with then when I was young just so he'd get a discount on all the parts for projects we could do together. We built our own race cars and a little Morse code radio so I could send "secret" messages.

When Baby Nerd's third birthday rolled around last June I went to the local store to see if I could pick up something to recreate that early live of science and technology I felt as a kid and was really disappointed to see that that sort of thing just doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Like it was mentioned before, I pretty much have to order from Amazon or some place like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.