AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The obscure bands you love recommendation thread, max 2/post

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiter551

V.I.P. AmberLander
Feb 2, 2011
I think most of us have bands and albums that we think others would love if they heard them, I spent around 10 years in the 90s heavily involved in the underground music scene in Australia and parts of the US so I have literally dozens of amazing, influential, ahead of their time albums that only relatively a few people have heard of. So I figured why not give you guys a listen and you can do the same for me and maybe we'll all discover some cool music :)

So that's what this thread is for. Not going to judge what counts as 'obscure' but if they're a household name start a different thread please =) Bands like say Sonic Youth, while well known would also fit this thread because there's plenty who have never listened to them.

Give a brief explanation of the album or band, what it is you love about it and any other info you might have that you want to share.

First up:

SLINT
Some have heard of Slint and some haven't. Those that have, probably would have raved if they had heard them. Over the last 20 years since their second and final album, Slint have become a massively respected and revered legend in underground music, often featuring in the top 5 all time lists of their most influential bands. Legendary producer Steve Albini, who has produced albums for The Pixies, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Garbage, Slint, and many many others, and was himself the frontman of seminal chicago hardcore industrial band Big Black, and more recently Shellac, once stated in an interview that Slint was the only band he would ever produce for free.

I've jammed with and played at parties with various members of Slint as I lived for a period with their bassist in their hometown Louisville, Kentucky back in '96.

Their music, frankly, defines definition and defines genre, although they've been credited with starting several genres of underground music to their bemusement. Slint broke up in 1990 just one year after their second and final album 'Spiderland'. After gaining mostly word-of-mouth recognition throughout the 90s and 2000s they reformed in 2005 to play a series of shows in Europe and the US where they headlined large music festivals.

In most Slint fan's opinions they never released a bad song, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend you start with the album 'Spiderland' and here is the epic track "Good Morning, Captain". Warning, you may be amazed.

Re: The obscure bands you love recommendation thread, max 2/

oops, my bad I'll pm her and ask if she can move it.

But if everyone finds out about my obscure bands they might become popular and what if they become mainstream? Then I'll have to hate them ;_;

But just think, Keithy! You'll get to go all hipster when they're mentioned in conversation as you smugly point out that you liked them before they were popular.

Next up:

Aussie band Magic Dirt, from Geelong in Victoria, they have a well-deserved reputation.

Listen to Adalita rock out in the title track from their excellent album Snow White:

I hate when people learn about and like bands I like, because I'd hate to have things in common with others and converse about said interests.

No, leave it here...

i6g50n0y1aTiv.gif

:lol:

Some recommendations from Jupiter551 neck of the woods. The first one is dead and gone, or looks like that, and the second one released a crowd funded LP last year.

Reactions: Jupiter551

lol sweep ^

There's something damn sexy about women who can rock. I've seen Magic Dirt live many times and they're great. A buddy of mine was her boyfriend for a while, lucky bastard lol.

No fake lip-synching bullshit here ladies and gentlemen, even though they performed this one on tv. Nothing beats good live music imo.

Jamie Berry
Makes my musical world a little bit brighter.
Electro-swing warning.

Technically just one dude and not a band. But obscure enough I think.

I don't know if these guys can truly be called 'obscure' any longer. They kinda bubbled under the mainstream for a year or two during the grunge/Nirvana explosion that they partly inspired before breaking up (J Mascis continued to record under the band's name but without the other members) and then reformed a few years ago. Since they reformed they've started to get some of the recognition they deserved from the start but they're still by no means a household name or anything. I present to you... Dinosaur Jr :-D

Obscure can mean very different things here in the UK and in the USA, ive never heard of some of the artists/bands that I have enjoyed posted by The US residents but they might be pretty mainstream "over the pond" same applies the other way round!

I'll put two just out thyere, one is pretty "mainstream" in the UK, One was years ago....

Arctic Monkeys are an immense band that became prominent through word of mouth in Sheffield and grew from there, a hark back to the old days where the music scene started regionally and made its way out slowly, Alex Turner is a proper wordsmith, some said a Shakespeare for the 21st century after their debut album, Whatever You say I am, Thats What Im not"

Britpop at its finest, Britannia really did rule the waves in the early 90's music wise and these guys are still going and I must have seen them 20 plus times and they are still up there with the best live shows ive seen, Fuck Muse its all about the music!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.