AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

This gives me a bad, bad feeling

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlmoe

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jun 3, 2011
from around the world and up your neighborhood...y
twitter.com
Twitter Username
@Faux_Schlmoe
MFC Username
SchhhhhhhhMOE
Headline: British Government Considers Disrupting Social Networks in Attempt to Quell Riots

A British MP has called for the suspension of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)
service after learning that the service was one of several being used
by rioters to plan attacks in London. On Thursday, British Prime
Minister David Cameron said the government is considering disrupting
online social networks while the riots continue. Britain would not be
the first country to make such a move. In January, Egypt's government
shut down mobile and Internet services during protests that resulted in
the ouster of former president Hosni Mubarak.

Full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14493497

When I read this, I got flashbacks of "1984" and "THX-1138".

For the record, I'm not pro-rioter/pro-anarchist, but there certainly are better ways to get to the desired result. We should not be taking our cues from the Mubarak government or the IRoI.

Reactions: Poker_Babe
We're talking about a country that has CC camera all over the place watching the population, not that it has done much to deter crime.

FRANCISCO (AP) — Transit officials blocked cellphone reception in San Francisco train stations for three hours to disrupt planned demonstrations over a police shooting.

Officials with the Bay Area Rapid Transit system, better known as BART, said Friday that they turned off electricity to cellular towers in four stations from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday.

It's one thing to block a certain building, but a lot of people rely solely on wireless phones. If there was an emergency and the cell towers were shut off, they could get sued for millions... not to mention the possible loss of life due to such a measure.

What some of the larger cities are doing is assigning special task forces to monitor social networks for things like illegal flash mob riots, etc...

RE: British
Unfortunately they can easily make a case for an emergency situation. In a situation like that they can get away with that shit over there. They're trying to pass laws to allow them to do that in the US.

RE: SF
It's not illegal until they do it. By shutting down the ability of people to communicate they're violating a first amendment right. In this case it's only illegal if they do it, and they do it in a specific spot that isn't designated. Plus if they just have police there waiting to make arrests then can just hand out fines like crazy and let it go at that.

well the key here I suspect is that they're claiming (with some truth) that the social networking in question is being used to facilitate crime - and public rioting is a pretty serious case of the crimes.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." *Benjamin Franklin

schlmoe said:
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." *Benjamin Franklin

I would hardly call twitter an essential liberty. Now if they cut off their phones, then I would consider that essential.

Keithy said:
schlmoe said:

I would hardly call twitter an essential liberty. Now if they cut off their phones, then I would consider that essential.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

In the UK, the talk was to shutdown the BBM, in the example Boce posted, it was in fact shutting down cell towers. Nothing mentioned about Twitter. If in fact Twitter was singled out, that would be more egregious (IMO).

In the US, it has long been held that the "airwaves" are "public", as in belonging to the people. So yeah, definitely a "Free Speech" issue to me.

It may seem to be a contradiction in terms, but I see myself as a "law and order" type, with the caveat that "we" (police, judges, etc), need to follow the law as well. Not happy with the current laws, change them. Change them to keep up with technology, but change them in a measured, thoughtful manner. There's a process for this in place, use it. We don't need knee jerk reactions here.

As far as these violent actions, it was my original point (probably not explained well) that there are other (lawful) ways to handle/combat the current activities (IMO). If the NSA can take all the chatter in the universe and filter it to capture a sat call from a donkey outpost in where-ever-the-fucka-stan, I'm pretty sure they same tech could be used to monitor plans for local rioting.

If it is so bad, there's always the nuclear option (at least in the US): declare Martial Law, call out the Guard. Extreme, yeah. Temporary, yeah. Effective, could be. Preferable to the nibbling at the toes of our "essential" rights, IMO, hell yeah. It's going to be tough to complain when the nibbling has reached knee level.

"First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me."

Sorry to fill my posts with quotations, but I have one more"

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Yeah but, aren't these riots about teenagers complaining because they're unemployed? Isn't it a right of citizens in a democratic society to have their property and liberty protected from social unrest?

What does this rioting achieve exactly? Other than the harm of innocents and their property. Thinly veiled excuse for looting it seems to me.

Quotes about liberty and freedom are all well and good, but freedom doesn't mean anarchy and liberty doesn't mean the liberty to take what you want when you want it.

Jupiter551 said:
Yeah but, aren't these riots about teenagers complaining because they're unemployed? Isn't it a right of citizens in a democratic society to have their property and liberty protected from social unrest?

Agree!

Jupiter551 said:
What does this rioting achieve exactly? Other than the harm of innocents and their property. Thinly veiled excuse for looting it seems to me.

Agree!

Jupiter551 said:
Quotes about liberty and freedom are all well and good, but freedom doesn't mean anarchy and liberty doesn't mean the liberty to take what you want when you want it.

Agree 150%

Jupiter551 said:
Yeah but, aren't these riots about teenagers complaining because they're unemployed?

Actually, they weren't protesting anything... other than perhaps the right to take something for free.
It was just an outbreak of mass lawlessness due to it being perceived as "risk free" (Police weren't doing anything) whilst offering significant gains (walk off with a 40" TV down road after road without being stopped?). An initial unchecked riot with looting grew beyond all proportion as the Police response was uncoordinated and weak - without the Chief willing to take a decisive decision, but instead being indecisive and timid - which signalled to the selfish un-moral masses it was "easy to make a quick buck with no risk".

Instead of shutting down BBM, how about they just have a more rapid and robust Police response.
The unrest grew due to the Police misjudging the situation, and the public, hugely.

Most of the disagreement is most likely due to the large rambling sections I cut out of my posts.
Also because I don't know what the whole situation is. However it is dangerous and is going to do massive damage to the country and businesses.
Also, there is no protest, just unneeded anarchy.

yeah I read that a police statement was issued that they weren't the type of country to use water cannons in riots, but that they policed by community consent.

If I was a UK citizen I'd be voting for water cannons.

Jupiter551 said:
yeah I read that a police statement was issued that they weren't the type of country to use water cannons in riots, but that they policed by community consent.

I've seen videos of their police being attacked by rioters. Large and heavy items being hurled. I would have expected someone to get shot, or at least some gunfire to let them know this is serious shit. Apparently, they don't do that over there. They've also refused the military aid.

Keithy said:
Jupiter551 said:

I've seen videos of their police being attacked by rioters. Large and heavy items being hurled. I would have expected someone to get shot, or at least some gunfire to let them know this is serious shit. Apparently, they don't do that over there. They've also refused the military aid.

Well, to their credit the last thing the UK government or its people want to be is a society that needs military crackdown to keep its own citizens in line.

That said, they have to do SOMETHING or the problem only escalates - as it already has; lack of any feasible response has just made more opportunists take part. I don't envy the people who have to decide where and how to draw the line, but that's what they're paid for.

Jupiter551 said:

Or water cannons loaded with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_%28weapon%29

Bocefish said:
FRANCISCO (AP) — Transit officials blocked cellphone reception in San Francisco train stations for three hours to disrupt planned demonstrations over a police shooting.

Officials with the Bay Area Rapid Transit system, better known as BART, said Friday that they turned off electricity to cellular towers in four stations from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday.

It's one thing to block a certain building, but a lot of people rely solely on wireless phones. If there was an emergency and the cell towers were shut off, they could get sued for millions... not to mention the possible loss of life due to such a measure.

What some of the larger cities are doing is assigning special task forces to monitor social networks for things like illegal flash mob riots, etc...

Update: "BART website hacked, customer info leaked"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1KNC1U.DTL

schlmoe said:
Headline: British Government Considers Disrupting Social Networks in Attempt to Quell Riots

A British MP has called for the suspension of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)
service after learning that the service was one of several being used
by rioters to plan attacks in London. On Thursday, British Prime
Minister David Cameron said the government is considering disrupting
online social networks while the riots continue. Britain would not be
the first country to make such a move. In January, Egypt's government
shut down mobile and Internet services during protests that resulted in
the ouster of former president Hosni Mubarak.

Full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14493497

When I read this, I got flashbacks of "1984" and "THX-1138".

For the record, I'm not pro-rioter/pro-anarchist, but there certainly are better ways to get to the desired result. We should not be taking our cues from the Mubarak government or the IRoI.

I agree, here's a doc that talks about some of the same stuff (I'll just post the link, not the video. I seem to piss ppl off when I talk about politics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrXgLhkv21Y

It is not the reactionary politicians that support this. It is the leftie squadron. And they are slowly emerging as tyrannical pro police state nutters.

cigar92 said:
It is not the reactionary politicians that support this. It is the leftie squadron. And they are slowly emerging as tyrannical pro police state nutters.

References or GTFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.