AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Weasel shows his BONE! (Fossil collection, that is)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2013
Since I started the dinosaur thread, I thought it might amuse some of you to show off some of the fossils & fossil replicas I've collected over the years.

This first one is a replica of the hand of Allosaurus fragilis, a Jurassic period carnivorous dinosaur known mainly from the Morrison formation strata of Wyoming & Colorado. A ruler is included for scale, and a sign because I just felt like being weird. :D

6mIAA3f.jpg

Next up, we have a series of Tyrannosaurus rex fossils. At the top is a T. rex tooth, bottom right is a foot claw core, and at the bottom left is an endocranial cast. This was formed when mud filled the space in the dinosaur's skull that was occupied by the brain in life. As the mud became stone over the millenia, it preserved the general size & shape of the animal's brain. (All of these are cast replicas of actual fossils.)

e9IzF35.jpg

Here's a replica of the Berlin specimen of Archaeopteryx lithographica. Only 10 specimens are known for this animal, 1 of which is a single feather impressed in the limestone. This animal was once the oldest known bird, but several older bird fossils have been found since. Like the Pterodactylus skeletons, this animal is known from the Solnhofen limestones of Bavaria.

H4Xncna.jpg

Here's a cast replica along with one of the real fossils in my collection. The full claw is a cast replica of a claw from the giant ground sloth Eremotherium. The broken claw below it is a real Eremotherium claw that I collected in a Florida shell pit over a decade ago. I never found the base of that claw, much as I searched for it.

NTMU64O.jpg

LacieLaPlante said:
Do you have any that are real bone?

These are so cool, how do you store/display them?

I have a few real ones. That broken sloth claw tip just below the complete replica claw in the pic above is real. I keep most of them in boxes, I only keep a few out on display.

Adding more photos now, including some real fossils.

In answer to Lacie's question above, here are some real fossils. Carcharocles (aka Carcharodon) megalodon shark teeth. All but the largest were collected by me from phosphate mine tailings. The largest was collected in a South Carolina river, and won by me in a raffle. The large tooth came from a shark around the 50-60 foot long range.

dAGfepB.jpg

southsamurai said:
dammit! i was gunna brag about my huge charcarodon tooth and then he whipped out his! do i always have to have the smallest one in the room? sheesh!

I know the feeling! When I found that sloth claw tip, other people were finding bigger parts of the same animal. I saw people finding finger bones, a shoulder blade, a vertebra or 2... the skull had already been found and removed.

ThunderWeasel said:
Here's a cast replica along with one of the real fossils in my collection. The full claw is a cast replica of a claw from the giant ground sloth Eremotherium. The broken claw below it is a real Eremotherium claw that I collected in a Florida shell pit over a decade ago. I never found the base of that claw, much as I searched for it.

NTMU64O.jpg

Omfg.
I just creamed. I want that.

Aella said:
ThunderWeasel said:

NTMU64O.jpg

Omfg.
I just creamed. I want that.

PM on the way with a link to an even better claw replica.

Here we go again! This time, it's all about the dromaeosaurs, more commonly known as "raptors" in popular culture. Here we have the killing claws from 3 different species. (All replicas)

From left to right: Velociraptor mongoliensis, Deinonychus antirrhopus, foot claw of Utahraptor ostrommaysorum, hand claw of Utahraptor.

Velociraptor was about wolf-size, Deinonychus was the size of the raptors in Jurassic Park.. so you get an idea about how damned BIG Utahraptor was. Not to mention that it had killer claws on both hands AND feet!

wfjiJoc.jpg

Now we head down Argentina way for Giganotosaurus carolinii. This late Cretaceous carnivore was longer than T. rex, but was estimated to have a weaker bite force. This is thought to be due to differing attack styles. A T. rex would deliver crushing bites, whereas a Giganotosaurus bite was more designed to inflict shearing wounds.

No way in HELL could I afford (or have room to store) a full-size Giganotosaurus skull replica, so I have this scale model instead. The tooth is a full-size replica of a Giganotosaurus tooth, so that should give you an idea of the scale of this beast.

kI5seQv.jpg

Now we come to one of the earliest, if not THE earliest, known dinosaurs. This is a life-size replica of the skull of Eoraptor lunensis, a small omnivorous dinosaur that lived in Argentina approximately 231 million years ago. It is thought to be close to the ancestry of both the later carnivorous theropod dinosaurs as well as the herbivorous sauropodomorph dinosaurs.

(Sorry about the bit of cobweb on the back of the skull, had this guy in storage and missed that bit of debris.)

Ynxccxb.jpg

Now we come to a small dinosaur from the late Triassic/early Jurassic periods. This is the skull of Coelophysis bauri, many complete skeletons of which have been found at the Ghost Ranch site in New Mexico. Fossilized stomach contents show that this animal would cannibalize young of its own species, much as many modern reptiles do.

FelIud8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.