AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Movie Monday, round 3

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberCutie

ACF Owner & Admin. (I don't work for CB.)
Staff member
Cam Model
Mar 1, 2010
AmberLand (Seattle, WA)
Twitter Username
@amberlynnegirl
MFC Username
AmberCutie
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/1000458969/AmberCutie/
I'm SO far behind on this! Since I had the cold from hell (do they have "colds" in hell, or are they called "hots" there? ugh, sorry....) earlier in November, I had a LOT of couch time to watch bad TV and tons of movies. Here's a little rundown of some of the notable things I was able to view.

The Watch

When this first was announced, I was thrilled about it because I usually love Ben Stiller or Jonah Hill movies. Once more trailers came out, I realized it was going to be pretty bad. Rotten tomatoes only gave it a 17! So I went into watching this knowing it was going to be pretty terrible.

It was entertaining at best, and I liked the one little plot twist with one of the main characters. I probably wouldn't watch it again, but it's worth seeing at least. It's a pretty predictable comedy.

4/10

Alien (1979)

After watching Prometheus in the last couple months and hearing how Alien fans were excited about that movie and more "into it" than I was, I figured we should watch what started it all. I'm going to sound like a terrible snob when I say this, but it pains me to watch movies made so early with the lack of cinema technology when the film is based on something so high tech. And I know when I'm sick I'm less patient with movies, but this one seemed to have so many scenes that were dragged out for far too long (seemed like they were going for suspense, but ended up with boredom) and could have been snipped down to something packed with more action.

I realize this is an iconic movie, but I couldn't bear to watch it again.

3/10

Aliens (1986)

The sequel to Alien? It took a lot of re-reading the info panel on DTV to figure it out, but apparently this was the follow up to the original. Once we started it and saw the opening scene, it was obvious that it was. While it was more action-packed and higher suspense than the first, it was still a little hard to watch due to the technology issue. (This is just a personal qualm and preference I have since I am spoiled with modern cinema technology, I apologize for it sounding as bad as it is. At least I can admit that I'm spoiled by my generation.) I appreciated seeing faces that I recognized other than Sigourney Weaver, though it was hard to watch Paul Reiser as the protagonist human after watching "Mad About You" as a youngster.

All in all: 5/10

We Bought A Zoo

Cute family movie! Some of you may know, Matt Damon is my "one" (aka the guy on my "celebrity I'd marry if I was single" list) so I try to watch all of his movies (Though "Stuck on You" and "Hereafter" were TERRRIBAD!!) I have to say that the child actors in this movie were such great actors (and the daughter was absolutely adorable) on top of having the great Matt Damon and Scarlett Johanson in the lead roles. I loved the amount of face-time the animals got, and the plot was interesting even though mostly predictable. I actually cried (don't tell Jawbs, he couldn't see my face) in one of the scenes were Damon's character was reminiscing about is deceased wife because I connected so greatly with the characters in the film.

Absolutely sweet and touching family movie. Watch it.

8/10

Midnight Run

Jawbs put this movie on after hearing it recommended on Rich Eisen's podcast as "a movie every man should see". I didn't expect to like it at all, even though I've been a fan of Robert De Niro for a long while. I actually sat on the couch playing Tiny Wings on my iPad for the first 20 mins or so because I expected to be bored. I pretty quickly put it down and got cozy on the sofa, as I ended up really enjoying the humor and action in it! Although it was farily predictable as a "bounty hunter" themed movie, I found it really endearing and couldn't look away. I also felt the ending was perfect. Happily surprised at this one!

8/10

Love and Other Drugs

Ok, so I'll admit that as a girly girl, I swooned at Jake Gyllenhaal in this movie. He was pretty handsome and quick-witted and adorable. And I can't deny that I am even fonder of Anne Hathaway after watching her in all of her "states of being" during this movie. I loved both of their roles and the acting. However.

This movie duped me.

I thought it was going to be a lighthearted rom-com that made me laugh and swoon, but JUST as I started to really love all the sex scenes and such, it really took a turn for the depressing and made me sad. I don't like to be depressed by movies. Even though it had a somewhat happy ending, I still left that movie feeling quite down.

The only reason I'd watch it again is for the bodies. Mostly Anne Hathaway's boobies, and just partially for Mr. Gyllenhaal's physique.

5/10

Something Borrowed

WARNING: SPOILERS ahead, as I had to mention the resolution to the plot to get my point across. SORRY!

Ok, this one is hardly worth mentioning because it is a TOTAL chick flick. But I've admitted these are like a good drug for me when I'm ailing, so I watched it, and shall mention it for one reason. It didn't end the way I predicted.

In most chick-flicky rom-coms, I can predict exactly what the lead characters will end up choosing as their path. Girl has crush on boy, boy has crush on girl, but she doesn't know, girl says boy should date her best friend, best friend ends up not being perfect for the guy, girl admits to crush on boy (and in this case, sleeping with him), boy says he can't leave best friend.... enter girl's best guy-friend who has ALWAYS loved girl... usually she'll end up with this new-found love in her best guy-friend, right? WRONG! Not in this one. I was happily surprised by that.

Thus, I will recommend it as a great chick flick.

7/10 (but only for chicks.)

Mr. Poppers Penguins

Jawbs and I are Jim Carrey fans. Have been for a long while. I try to watch anything he comes out with. While I adore penguins (gunkahs* as I called them as a toddler, for some reason) and Jim Carrey, this movie sorta peeved me. It's one of those situations where you keep willing the main character to do the right thing, and they keep lying instead, digging themselves into a deeper hole. It frustrated me to no end! It was entertaining and cute, so I would say I'd watch it again, if it was on a channel my TV happened to be on and the remote was too far to reach.

6/10

Moonrise Kingdom

If I recall, this movie got pretty high acclaim. It certainly had a star-studded cast, with Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, and Frances McDormand. The children were amazing actors, and completely captivating to watch in their lead roles. Their child romance was endearing, and I found myself rooting for them the whole way. I have to admit, though, I totally cringed during the earring/fishhook scene. :shock:

This movie was on the quiet side, but filled with mellow action and a fun plot line. I would most definitely recommend this as a must-watch for everyone.

8/10

The Amazing Spider-Man

I saved this for last, because this is one of the most recent, big-screen, big-time action flicks that we watched this month. And I have to say, I am REALLY torn on whether i like this reboot better than the Kristin Dunst/Tobey MacGuire version. I'll just say that I liked both a LOT. I didn't think they'd have enough differences for me to enjoy watching the "same movie" but I'm glad to be wrong. While I believe Tobey MacGuire made a fabulous Spiderman, I also think that Andrew Garfield made a great one with a bit of a darker personality. And I can't deny that I enjoy watching Emma Stone in nearly any role. She's a great actress and very pretty. And Andrew Garfield is a cute geek. ;)

The plot in this one engaged me, maybe slightly more than the plot of... the other one.

I suggest everyone see this if they're a fan of Spiderman at all.

9/10

There may have been a few other movies watched during this time, but I can't recall right now! I'll try to do another round as soon as I have a handful of notable watches available for ya. ;)

Feel free to reply with your input/arguments/whatnot about these movies! I love to hear your thoughts.

OMG. I absolutely loved Midnight Run. I put it on my top ten comedy list. I think the reason it appeals to both genders equally, is the inclusion of Charles Grodin. The perfectly annoying, passive agressive foil to Robert de Niro's macho self.

Favorite line, if memory serves--Grodin: "You guys are the WORST bounty hunters in the world!"

Reactions: AmberCutie
Nordling said:
OMG. I absolutely loved Midnight Run. I put it on my top ten comedy list. I think the reason it appeals to both genders equally, is the inclusion of Charles Grodin. The perfectly annoying, passive agressive foil to Robert de Niro's macho self.

Favorite line, if memory serves--Grodin: "You guys are the WORST bounty hunters in the world!"
OMG yes he was annoyingly adorable!! Loved him. What else has he been in? Both Jawbs and I really loved his character in the movie, and know we recognized him from other films, but couldn't *quite* place his name.

AmberCutie said:
Nordling said:

OMG yes he was annoyingly adorable!! Loved him. What else has he been in? Both Jawbs and I really loved his character in the movie, and know we recognized him from other films, but couldn't *quite* place his name.
First movie I've seen him in was The Heartbreak Kid. May have been his first movie--along with Sybil Shepheard.

The Beethoven series. (kids' movie about a St. Bernard of the same name) Funny stuff.

Some of my favorite times with Charles Grodin was when he was a guest on David Letterman. Funny funny guest.

To be avoided: when he had his own TV talk show...he was terrible. lol

OH! And he just guest starred on an episode of Law & Order SVU. He played a rather evil president of a prep school.

Re: Alien/Aliens :shock: :eek: :(

I love those films! :)

I think Alien is one of the all-time great suspense/horror films and Aliens is one of the best action movies ever made.
I love how the Nostromo in Alien feels like a real, lived-in ship. I love the stripped down design of it. It looks beat up and old, but functional - a nice juxtaposition to the futuristic space setting. I love the scenes where the crew just sit and talk about inane bullshit like bonuses and debate who's responsibility it is to do what. It's those little things that make the crew relatable, which is important because if you don't care about the crew, you won't care about the rest of the film. I love the pacing of the film too. I love that it takes its time to set things up properly. It makes the pay-off that much more rewarding.
The chest-burster scene is still amazing (in my opinion) and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the alien looks like a cheap plastic prop the first time you see it due to everything surrounding that prop being so perfect - the actor's reaction to the alien bursting forth from John Hurt's chest (apparently they had no idea what the effect was going to look like and the look of absolute, horrified shock on their faces - and Veronica Cartwright's scream - are all very real); the sound design; the fact that it feels like such a big moment - everything that happened prior that scene was building to that very moment; the distress call that took them to the abandoned planet, the discovery of the space jockey, the facehugger "impregnating" John Hurt, the weight of the decision Ripley had to make as far as letting them back on to the ship or not and the importance of Ian Holm undermining her authority to let the crew back in (foreshadowing his ulterior motive and eventual reveal as an android programmed to bring the alien back to Earth), the treatment and rehabilitation of Kane and the false hope given to the rest of the crew of his survival before it all culminates with an alien exploding out of his chest... it's just an amazing piece suspenseful storytelling.
I love that Ripley is such a strong female character (a rarity in the 80s, especially in big budget action films) and love the bad-ass turn her character takes in Aliens. I actually think Aliens still holds up in the looks department even today. The Aliens looked better and more realistic, the explosions were satisfyingly... explosive, and much like the first film, the cinematography is phenomenal. I love that it's a completely different film to the original - whereas the original was all about suspense and creating a lived in world full of believable characters trying to deal with something unfathomable, the sequel was this tightly paced action film full of big guns and explosions and awesome action scenes involving giant mechanised suits.

And... I seem to have waffled bollocks for about 500 words but all of this can be summed up thusly... I love those films! :-D

I really wanna see We Bought A Zoo (I love me some Cameron Crowe) and Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson!); Midnight Run is a film I've been meaning to watch for years and I wasn't all that fussed about watching the new Spiderman but so many people are saying it's good (yourself included) that I may have to give it a shot.

And keep up the movie reviews, bb. It's always fun to read somebody else's perspective on films I've seen/wanna see :)

AmberCutie said:
What else has he been in?

for information on other films/TV that an actor/actress has been in
IMBD http://www.imdb.com/ is your best friend, I have used it regularly to find other performances
of an actor/actress I have seen.
Thanks for the Movie Monday reviews.

bud9752 said:
AmberCutie said:

IMBD http://www.imdb.com/ is your best friend, I have used it regularly to find other performances
Teehee, yeah I was just sorta trying to make conversation... and stuff. ;)

AmberCutie said:
bud9752 said:
AmberCutie said:

Teehee, yeah I was just sorta trying to make conversation... and stuff. ;)
:) I knew this. Plus myself, I prefer Wikipedia for actor information--I find IMDB clumsy and confusing.

I finally got 'round to watching We Bought A Zoo :-D

It was lovely. I'd hesitate to call it a great film or anything - the story wasn't exactly riveting, it never felt like there was anything at stake and no scenes stood out as being memorable - but sometimes it's just cool to sit down for two hours and watch nice things happen to nice characters.
The daughter was adorable, the "angsty" teenager was just a perfectly likeable kid, Matt Damon's character was a swell dood, Scarlett Johansson is luuuuurvely; even the supposed "bad guy" (the zoo inspector) turned out to be awesome. And animals are bad-ass. You can't really go far wrong with animals.

And the soundtrack - Temple of the Dog! Dylan! Neil Young! Tom Petty! The Isley Brothers! Bon Iver! - and Jonsi's original score added immensely to whole thing :thumbleft:

Status
Not open for further replies.