AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

3D Video Games and Motion Sickness

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 36496

Hey!
I don't suffer from motion sickness in cars, or roller coasters, or any other time.. except in 3D video games.
Even just watching games like Borderlands, Battlefield 1, Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, on Twitch (watching pros or semi-pros play) I will find myself getting dizzy and nauseated after a few minutes.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced it - it's a real downer and a few medical opinions have been to avoid watching/playing.. lol

:h: EllieCat

Reactions: swagger
I rarely if ever get motion sickness, crazy coasters, rocking boats, long roadtrips, typically I'm fine. Recently I bought an HTC Vive for my niece to play with and boy, at times, that thing does a number on me. I think it's mostly due to poor optimization in the coding and they'll overcome some of this in the near future. But some are more greatly affected than others, my buddy couldn't wear the damn thing for more than a minute.

Hey!
I don't suffer from motion sickness in cars, or roller coasters, or any other time.. except in 3D video games.
Even just watching games like Borderlands, Battlefield 1, Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, on Twitch (watching pros or semi-pros play) I will find myself getting dizzy and nauseated after a few minutes.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced it - it's a real downer and a few medical opinions have been to avoid watching/playing.. lol

There's an interesting article about it and how women are more susceptible to it here; https://www.sciencenews.org/article/virtual-reality-has-motion-sickness-problem

I very very rarely get motion sickness. But I also have issues with depth perception and have a mild acrophobia. I always feel there's a relationship between those things. Most my friends that have no problems with motion sickness also have some form of acrophobia.

Am reminded of this episode of Brainiac on inducing Motion Sickness. I suffer from it, haven't really tried VR yet.

I almost never get motion sick. It usually takes me reading for a long time in a car in order for it to kick in. As far as video games are concerned, only one has ever made me motion sick and that was this one game that lots of people have because it was one of the first ones released for the current console generation. I think it's called geometry something, but you basically shot things coming at you in a 2-d interface but everything is 3-d and it's a bit of a shooter and puzzle with different levels and very bright colors. I had to stop watching my friend play it or I was going to vomit.

I can't even watch a 3d movie without feeling sick or straining my eyes. I have a 3ds but hardly ever, if at all, put the 3d option on. I do have other hand held gaming systems but I like playing pokemon. :shame:

I get motion sickness very easily. There are a lot of video games that I can't play and can't watch others play, especially first person perspectives. For some reason there are a few that don't bother me when I assumed they would. Overwatch and Rust were both games I expected to be unplayable for me, but I think it has something to do with the frame rate or some such.

The only VR stuff that makes me dizzy is if the game moves FOR you. With room-scale games usually you're walking around on your own accord, so I typically am OK with them. But there are games where you use a controller to move (the Rift didn't have room-scale/hand controllers at first) like Lucky's Tale (shown below. very very cute game), or experiences where they put you on a boat or something... those are a no-go for me.

^^I can't even watch that for a minute without feeling dizzy.

wow thanks for your input everyone!

I wasn't actually referring to 3D as in VR - but instead 3D world.
In case I'm not explaining it properly... Super Mario is a 2D "flat" game, where Grand Theft Auto is 3D as you have a character, and a camera you look/zoom around with. It's walking around in those 3D worlds that makes me dizzy for some reason.. I'm sure it's got to do with perception of movement vs you sitting still..

And with what Amber said, it's the first person perspective (whether I'm controlling them or not). It's funny you mentioned Overwatch! That was the first game I felt like I super missed out on because I get sick :hungover:
:hurting:

Here's to future technology! lol

I have the same problem. I can't play anything in 3d (especially shooters) because I get dizzy 10 minutes into it. I'm currently playing FO4 and having to take sick breaks now and then. I'm hating the Corvega factory and the Hallucigen building lol.
I get motion sickness very easily. There are a lot of video games that I can't play and can't watch others play, especially first person perspectives. For some reason there are a few that don't bother me when I assumed they would. Overwatch and Rust were both games I expected to be unplayable for me, but I think it has something to do with the frame rate or some such.
I guess it has to do with the camera motion speed/camera shaking, and the colors as well. Reducing the cam spin speed so it's no faster than you can turn your head physically may help.

The two things I'd look into is the Frame refresh rate and the frame drop rate... Some people are a lot more sensitive to frame pacing than others.. I know people that can't play a game under 120 fps because it will make them vomit.. This rules out consoles entirely for you unfortunate souls as they lock in at 30 fps and have a 200 ms frame pace. If you can get your hands on one. I'd see if you can talk to someone who has a 144hz monitor with a GOOD graphics card that can push it and see if 120 fps makes a difference for you. The other thing I'd check out is making sure that motion blur is off (It always made me a little queasy.

I get motion sick for cars AND games... It sucks! I really love gaming but there are so many games I have to stay away from for my health now and it makes me so much less a gamer than I used to be before graphics improved and cameras got so wonky... :(

• Hugs
Reactions: DJ_Pioneer
I get motion sick for cars AND games... It sucks! I really love gaming but there are so many games I have to stay away from for my health now and it makes me so much less a gamer than I used to be before graphics improved and cameras got so wonky... :(
Try increasing the field of view for first person games, that can help for some people. If you are not into first person games there are tons of other cool games that you should be able to play without getting sick. :)

Try increasing the field of view for first person games, that can help for some people. If you are not into first person games there are tons of other cool games that you should be able to play without getting sick. :)
I have and it lets me play a little but I still have to stop after like 20 mins at best with my head swimming. ^^; SO I tend to not waste money on things I can't play much now like that and look for games that are more my eyes and head's speed. Sadly, those tend to not be the more popular games. I've always been more a loyal RPG fan anyways, and I fought my way through kingdom hearts even with the cameras and dizziness with lots of pepto and breaks xD

I have and it lets me play a little but I still have to stop after like 20 mins at best with my head swimming. ^^; SO I tend to not waste money on things I can't play much now like that and look for games that are more my eyes and head's speed. Sadly, those tend to not be the more popular games. I've always been more a loyal RPG fan anyways, and I fought my way through kingdom hearts even with the cameras and dizziness with lots of pepto and breaks xD
Divinity: Original Sin 2 might be a game for you, it is one of the best RPG games to come out recently and it is based on a turn based system so you can play it at your own pace.

Reactions: AmberCutie
Reactions: DJ_Pioneer
Hey!

I had the same it is caused by your brains registering movements while your body is not sending signals.
I would recommend to start slow max 15 min and slowly build it up but to a max amount of 1h sessions.
Most developers are already adjusting to prevent it from happening.

Reactions: Rumi_Bloom
I wasn't actually referring to 3D as in VR - but instead 3D world.
In case I'm not explaining it properly... Super Mario is a 2D "flat" game, where Grand Theft Auto is 3D as you have a character, and a camera you look/zoom around with. It's walking around in those 3D worlds that makes me dizzy for some reason.. I'm sure it's got to do with perception of movement vs you sitting still..
I understand completely.
For some reason, moving the camera angle in Final Fantasy 12 gives me motion sickness after a significant break (we're talking a year onwards). Never experienced it with other games/irl, and it eventually goes away by Day 2-3 of playing FF12.

That being said, has anybody watched a playthrough of Forbidden Siren? Not having control over the sightjacking feature can trigger a migraine for me sometimes, especially if the person playing it is taking their sweet time looking around through other people's eyes.

Not sure if that's motion sickness or what, but it sure isn't pleasant. I'm 100% fine so long as I'm the one playing it and have control over the POV shifts.

The weary music, static, and downgraded audio quality of people talking during sightjacking mode doesn't help my sudden change in health either :eek:

For some people, tying/fastening something like some band or watch around both wrists can prevent dizziness. Its worked for me but doesn't anymore.. probably because it's more of a placebo effect..
PUBG is the worst. game's sound mixing is shit with adds to the headache.

I know I do better with a 120 Hrtz display, running 120 FPS, with no choppy frame rates.

I also disable camera shake & motion blur, because it can cause nausea.

I've found completely disabling cross hairs can help in some games. Or in extreme instances the whole HUD.

I usually do better with first person over 3rd person. But some of that depends on the game. Some games were really not designed with first person view in mind.

a larger game window and a decent FOV seems to also help.

a larger game window
For me it is opposite! For some games, especially Rust, I have to play in windowed mode and make the window much smaller than the size of the screen. Something about having the motion limited to a smaller area, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.