AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Are you smarter than the average American about science?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And not knowing where else to put this, I present my favorite Romanian, ZomGitsCriss...Cristina...who shows how one can grow up in an oppressive, theistic culture and still be brilliant, charming, cute, pretty and very funny. Sadly, she's not a cam model, so we can only see her when she decides to do a new video. :)

emptiedglass said:
southsamurai said:
the BSG word is actually frak, not frack lol

They're phonetically identical, so there. :tongue2:
And technically both are incorrect when it comes to the actual process. Hydraulic Fracturing is shortened to Fraccing by people in the industry who actually deal with the process. The mass media incorrectly spell it with a K.

Heh. When a new term is coined, like a shortened form of an existing term...I'm not sure who gets the honors to be "correct."

By using the same pronunciation as "flaccid," which has the same pattern of spelling, then we'd say "frack-sing" when pronouncing "fraccing." I'm guessing that the media spelling, "fracking," will ultimately win in the spelling wars. :)

Nordling said:
Heh. When a new term is coined, like a shortened form of an existing term...I'm not sure who gets the honors to be "correct."

By using the same pronunciation as "flaccid," which has the same pattern of spelling, then we'd say "frack-sing" when pronouncing "fraccing." I'm guessing that the media spelling, "fracking," will ultimately win in the spelling wars. :)
Oh I'm sure the media will keep spelling it that way but it's not a new term by any means. The first fraccing job was in 1947 so the 'k' variation is way late to the game.

JerryBoBerry said:
Nordling said:

Oh I'm sure the media will keep spelling it that way but it's not a new term by any means. The first fraccing job was in 1947 so the 'k' variation is way late to the game.
And in this case, it doesn't really matter, since neither spelling is currently in the dictionary--well, at least not the American Heritage. It sounds like when the "nickname" was first used, it was within a very limited audience. So, it's slang or lingo--I don't think we can argue about "technical" correctness. :)

Reactions: LadyLuna
Nordling said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Nordling said:

And in this case, it doesn't really matter, since neither spelling is currently in the dictionary--well, at least not the American Heritage. It sounds like when the "nickname" was first used, it was within a very limited audience. So, it's slang or lingo--I don't think we can argue about "technical" correctness. :)

False- it is in discussions like this that things get solidified to the point where they ARE added to the dictionaries.

I propose the following:
fraccing- the process as referred to by people in the field or people with a strong interest in the field, scientifically correct
fracking- the process as referred to by people outside the field, correct in non-technical writings
fraking- the BSG term with a different meaning entirely

LadyLuna said:
Nordling said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Nordling said:

False- it is in discussions like this that things get solidified to the point where they ARE added to the dictionaries.

I propose the following:
fraccing- the process as referred to by people in the field or people with a strong interest in the field, scientifically correct
fracking- the process as referred to by people outside the field, correct in non-technical writings
"Why the fracking hell does it matter how we spell it?"

:shifty:

LadyLuna said:
Nordling said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Nordling said:

I propose the following:
Ha! Don't forget "fracing."

But seriously, what are you calling false? While I agree, that USE of a new word by many different entities eventually leads to the "accepted" spelling, pronunciation and meaning, I doubt any one forum will do the trick. The final, accepted spelling, if it even does occur is not a process that can be predicted, unless by accident. Right now, the media, including Wikipedia seems to prefer "fracking." I'm guessing that will be the final form...but there's no guarantees.

Rose said:
LadyLuna said:
Nordling said:
JerryBoBerry said:
Nordling said:

I propose the following:

Ha ha! Doesn't. lol I also predict that no matter what happens, and no matter what becomes the "dictionary entry of choice," the average MFC member will forever spell it differently than whatever that turns out to be. :lol:

Nordling said:
Rose said:
LadyLuna said:
Nordling said:
JerryBoBerry said:

I propose the following:

Ha ha! Doesn't. lol I also predict that no matter what happens, and no matter what becomes the "dictionary entry of choice," the average MFC member will forever spell it differently than whatever that turns out to be. :lol:

Hahaha I don't know 'bout y'all but I love Thread Divergence! :lol:

On a side note I have just discovered the forum only allows for 5 nested quotes within each other. :think:

11 out of 13. That result was surprising to me, because I guessed quite a few of them.

13/13... From the results posted so far there seems to be a good percentage of smart people on this forum in comparison to the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.