AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Cable & Satellite TV Alternatives?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefish

I did bad things, privileges revoked!
In the Dog House
Mar 26, 2010
Usually somewhere between flippant and glib.
Getting really sick of paying for a bunch of crap channels I don't watch just to get the few I do enjoy while STILL getting constantly bombarded with commercial advertising.

I'm tempted to just go with antenna TV but will miss my favorites on cable like The Walking Dead...

Any and all suggestions/tips appreciated. If you have less than 100% legal suggestions that you don't want to post here, please feel free to PM them. I'm open to all options at this point.

Thanks

Bocefish said:
Getting really sick of paying for a bunch of crap channels I don't watch just to get the few I do enjoy while STILL getting constantly bombarded with commercial advertising.

I'm tempted to just go with antenna TV but will miss my favorites on cable like The Walking Dead...

Any and all suggestions/tips appreciated. If you have less than 100% legal suggestions that you don't want to post here, please feel free to PM them. I'm open to all options at this point.

Thanks

Project Free TV ( you have to fight past a bunch of popups but its free to stream) They have a lot of programs and new stuff is up within a day of release.

Filmous (You pay a nominal fee for secure download or streaming in various quality formats). It costs some money (about $1.0 per movie) but its also very convenient.

Other than that you have bit torrents

I threw out my TV a few years ago now so this is all on PC.

Reactions: Bocefish
Many of the major network websites let you watch episodes after they have aired. Hulu (the free one not the pay one) is another good choice. There are always Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. which are fee based but still cheaper per month then cable or satellite. Another I use is ilemi.me I often use that to catch sports while I am stuck her at the shop.

Reactions: Rose and Bocefish
I got rid of cable for plain old high speed internet for about a year. (my old bill with just internet and regular channels HD was near $200 a month )
If you have a Smart Tv that works with the internet it's cake. Or Even they have those appletv boxes are like $100 or Sony Google Box you can for about $200 and hook up to your TV like a cable box, to use the internet. I've watched both I'm not sure the difference of features for the prices, but they do basically the same thing.

From there you can have your Netflix, and Hulu subscriptions for like $8 each a month and that can keep you pretty busy.
Even though Netflix doesn't update as often. But Hulu has most of the major channel shows the day after they air.

For me, I have only one or two shows I like and HAVE to watch when they come out,ex: Mad Men, You can pay for the new season on Vudu for about $35 at. Vudu handles premium shows and newer movies.
You can own them on your system The day after the new episodes air. Or pay $2 or whatever per epsiode the next day. To some people that sounds like a lot, but, if you only have a couple shows you NEED to see it works out to be wayy cheaper than paying the effin $50-$100 every month for the added channels to have AMC etc. on your cable plan.

The only problem with this is sports. If your into sports your a little screwed. So I got regular cable/internet back with a different company but the price just jumped from $70 to $130. SO I called the other day to get rid of the cable again. But kept the very basic tv, the major broadcast networks, plus my high speed internet. That way for sports you still have fox, abc, and nbc. And hey, if it's a good game you can always go to a bar or a friends house or something :cool:

At least then you can pay on the internet for what you want, as you want it. Or yeah there's always Torrents and stuff too if you want to go that way.
And it's also more fun to just watch Youtube stuff, random internet documentaries, MFC :-D etc. Just right on your TV.

I've found on the whole, doing this, I'm more conscious of what I watch and waste less time in front of the TV. I only watch what I want when I want to, and don't get as easily sucked into random garbage I'm not really interested in but happens to be on. :twocents-02cents:

Also just wanted to mention the option of Amazon Prime as well. It costs a yearly fee (around $80 I think) but with that you get thousands of streaming movies and prime shipping on a lot of stuff.
They don't have as good of a selection as Netflix and a lot of the really good stuff is still on a pay basis, but it's an option to think about. If you do a lot of ordering on Amazon anyway then it's really a good deal.

JerryBoBerry said:
Also just wanted to mention the option of Amazon Prime as well. It costs a yearly fee (around $80 I think) but with that you get thousands of streaming movies and prime shipping on a lot of stuff.
They don't have as good of a selection as Netflix and a lot of the really good stuff is still on a pay basis, but it's an option to think about. If you do a lot of ordering on Amazon anyway then it's really a good deal.

I saved over $100 just on Christmas orders last year.
Not to mention having a whole bed shipped for free.
And I'm constantly using the video service.

Amazon Prime is 100% worth it.

LuckySmiles said:
I got rid of cable for plain old high speed internet...

Netflix and Hulu subscriptions for like $8 each a month.
Even though Netflix doesn't update as often. But Hulu has most of the major channel shows the day after they air.
I don't pay for Amazon Prime (lots of overlap with Netflix and Hulu), but I do buy individual series of TV shows from Amazon VOD.
I also use XBox Video (on my XBox - formerly Microsoft Zune) for specific TV shows.

All of the programming (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and XBox Video) plays via my XBox to the living room TV, so I don't have to watch shows on a PC (although I can).

It's not perfect, but it lets me watch shows from cable networks (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Falling Skies, etc.) even though some networks (HBO, Showtime) often don't release their in-house shows until the next season (Boardwalk Empire, Dexter).

At one point I might have investigated torrenting, etc., but (a) I don't like the idea of not paying people who provide a service (actors, writers, stagehands, etc.) and (b) I want distributors to know about my viewing habits to help support making the kinds of shows I like to watch.

The only downside I've experienced to the above approach is that I can't always participate in the occasional water cooler conversations about last night's shows. That doesn't seem to be too big of an issue as most people (in my social circle) know others don't always watch TV when it first airs, but it would have made me a pariah where I used to work.

spikyhaired said:
I don't pay for Amazon Prime (lots of overlap with Netflix and Hulu), but I do buy individual series of TV shows from Amazon VOD.
I also use XBox Video (on my XBox - formerly Microsoft Zune) for specific TV shows.

All of the programming (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and XBox Video) plays via my XBox to the living room TV, so I don't have to watch shows on a PC (although I can).

It's not perfect, but it lets me watch shows from cable networks (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Falling Skies, etc.) even though some networks (HBO, Showtime) often don't release their in-house shows until the next season (Boardwalk Empire, Dexter).

At one point I might have investigated torrenting, etc., but (a) I don't like the idea of not paying people who provide a service (actors, writers, stagehands, etc.) and (b) I want distributors to know about my viewing habits to help support making the kinds of shows I like to watch.

The only downside I've experienced to the above approach is that I can't always participate in the occasional water cooler conversations about last night's shows. That doesn't seem to be too big of an issue as most people (in my social circle) know others don't always watch TV when it first airs, but it would have made me a pariah where I used to work.
This is what I do. Haven't had cable in almost 2 years now and it's awesome. Shoot, I rarely sit down to watch anything these days. I've inadvertently found myself reading more and finding more things around the house to do to be productive.

I have Roku, which I like a great deal except for the fact that my wife got addicted to Angry Birds and was always using it! Seriously, it's a good deal as a conduit to lots of Web-fed stuff. I also have Amazon Prime and echo what Jerry said about that. I got more than $79 worth of entertainment just by watching some old favorite TV series again. It even has a free lending library for books, although it's kind of limited. I'm also on a free trial of Netflix so I can watch Arrested Development. Not sure if I'll keep it, but my wife is watching Burn Notice, so I suspect we'll be keeping that as well.

Reactions: Bocefish
pg240 said:
I also have Amazon Prime and echo what Jerry said about that. I got more than $79 worth of entertainment just by watching some old favorite TV series again.

College student here. Full Prime for $39 a year for up to 4 years. :mrgreen: :cool: :mrgreen: :cool: :mrgreen:

JerryBoBerry said:
pg240 said:
I also have Amazon Prime and echo what Jerry said about that. I got more than $79 worth of entertainment just by watching some old favorite TV series again.

College student here. Full Prime for $39 a year for up to 4 years. :mrgreen: :cool: :mrgreen: :cool: :mrgreen:

Say what? There's a college rate for Prime? That's fantastic. But I'm glad I didn't have it when I was a student. Had enough distractions as it was!

pg240 said:
JerryBoBerry said:
pg240 said:

Say what? There's a college rate for Prime? That's fantastic. But I'm glad I didn't have it when I was a student. Had enough distractions as it was!

Yep, you just need an EDU email address as one of the ways to initially sign up. Then the next year to renew they send you an email asking if you are still a student and to send them some sort of proof to continue for another year (up to four years total). In my case I literally just took a screen shot of the classes i was signed up for next semester off my colleges web page and attached it to the reply. Re-approved with no problem. If anyone is a student here's the signup page. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for students!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info That's the straight link. But if you feel like being nice to someone :whistle: this link is my referral link. I just found out if anyone signs up with it I get $5. So i would be thanking your posts for like a solid year if you did.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/si...t=ELZS4ZLZ4H6L36FLRAPKIN33GM&ref_type=generic

NOTE: the first 6 months are free for students, however you don't get the prime instant movies with that option. Once/if you pay the half off rate, THEN it also includes the streaming too. So either pay right away and get it over with or wait 6 months then pay and get the streaming.

I use this: http://www.tubeplus.me/

I have an ad blocker installed on firefox so I get no pop ups and I watch everything there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.