AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Camming as kayfabe?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoober

Banhammered
Apr 12, 2017
Not being American or a wrestling fan the word is new to me, but does kayfabe provide a useful way of viewing camming?

("“kayfabe” has referred to the unspoken contract between wrestlers and spectators: We’ll present you something clearly fake under the insistence that it’s real, and you will experience genuine emotion. Neither party acknowledges the bargain, or else the magic is ruined.... To a wrestling audience, the fake and the real coexist peacefully. If you ask a fan whether a match or backstage brawl was scripted, the question will seem irrelevant. You may as well ask a roller-coaster enthusiast whether he knows he’s not really on a runaway mine car. The artifice is not only understood but appreciated: The performer cares enough about the viewer’s emotions to want to influence them. Kayfabe isn’t about factual verifiability; it’s about emotional fidelity.")

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/opinion/wrestling-explains-alex-jones-and-donald-trump.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe

Dudes love drama. Wouldn't be surprised if most twitter beefs between top MFC models are keyfabes. Actually, I want to believe that. I really hope people don't treat each other like that on purpose.

Yeah, actually. That's brilliant. I'd never thought to use that before to explain it. I think I just had an epiphany.

I want to post but don't want to break kayfabe. Not trying to expose the business, brother! We don't want a bunch of marks working themselves into a shoot! 5 star thread, 6 if posted from Tokyo and other wrestling memes.

Dudes love drama. Wouldn't be surprised if most twitter beefs between top MFC models are keyfabes. Actually, I want to believe that. I really hope people don't treat each other like that on purpose.

Know of MFC but not a user there. Any beef involving oil, jelly and hot tamales sounds
A-Ok to me. But, yeah, point taken, the soap opera in some rooms does keep some guys coming back

Not being American or a wrestling fan the word is new to me, but does kayfabe provide a useful way of viewing camming?

("“kayfabe” has referred to the unspoken contract between wrestlers and spectators: We’ll present you something clearly fake under the insistence that it’s real, and you will experience genuine emotion. Neither party acknowledges the bargain, or else the magic is ruined.... To a wrestling audience, the fake and the real coexist peacefully. If you ask a fan whether a match or backstage brawl was scripted, the question will seem irrelevant. You may as well ask a roller-coaster enthusiast whether he knows he’s not really on a runaway mine car. The artifice is not only understood but appreciated: The performer cares enough about the viewer’s emotions to want to influence them. Kayfabe isn’t about factual verifiability; it’s about emotional fidelity.")

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/opinion/wrestling-explains-alex-jones-and-donald-trump.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe

This is a factor in lots of fiction, written and film, especially genres like fantasy, alternative history, and science fiction. There it's called "suspension of disbelief."

("“kayfabe” has referred to the unspoken contract between wrestlers and spectators: We’ll present you something clearly fake under the insistence that it’s real, and you will experience genuine emotion. Neither party acknowledges the bargain, or else the magic is ruined.... To a wrestling audience, the fake and the real coexist peacefully.

like how Iron Man never says 'psst, hey guys, I'm just a millionaire who memorized a script, this is all happening on a sound stage in California, I literally couldn't even engineer a toaster, never mind make a rocket suit'.

not sure what's wrong with terms like 'acting' and 'suspense of disbelief', but wrestling fans are a curious animal.

This is a factor in lots of fiction, written and film, especially genres like fantasy, alternative history, and science fiction. There it's called "suspension of disbelief."

something tells me playboy and the bible are the closest the wrestling fan ever gets to literature :pompous:

oh man, I'd have so much more respect for them if that was true. I tend to assume it's just immaturity ... that high school bitchiness of extremely spoilt self-involved people with no real life experience.

I'd argue that doesn't capture the performative or interactive aspects of camming because its more focused on the context within which the drama plays out rather than the drama itself, the latter being what matters

There are definitely kayfabe elements to camming. But where it gets tricky is that both parties need to be in on it. Sometimes members can get too emotionally attached or models can make the kayfabe seem real, or even believe it's real.

I think camsites (OK, MFC since that is the only one I go to) are much more like baseball. You get there and pretty much know what to expect, but there is a chance you'll see something you've never seen before.

Sometimes members can get too emotionally attached or models can make the kayfabe seem real, or even believe it's real.

True. Marks are constantly working themselves into a shoot at camsites. Similar to wrestling fans, they then rush to internet forums when things don't go how they want and get all emotional. Layers to this shit people. Wrestling/carny slang is hilarious.

Would that make the dudes who frequent this forum smarks?

I think it would. Not sure how to feel about that tbh. Smarks are often more cynical and find it harder to enjoy the product.

Many camgirls change gimmicks multiple times before finding the right character like many wrestlers.

oh, of course...Playgirl!

(just to be clear: I'm not shaming their sexuality, just their intellect).

Vintage cheap heat. Are you going to insult the local sports team next? Think you need to head back down to developmental to hone your craft. You keep botching your finisher, Capitalization. Need to tighten things up. Plan out a future face turn because you aren't over with the marks and you have go away heat with the smarks, brother!

• Wat?!
Reactions: heybarkeep
Yep, I like to use wrestling talk when I'm attempting to be witty. Wrestling fans, much like camboys, are known for their supreme intellect.

dur what's intellect mean? I was gunna look it up but dickshinary.com isn't working fir sum reezin

The only thing kayfabe about camming (imo) is when we role play. Other than that it's extremely important that customers of our entertainment know that you're providing a service for the purpose of creating an income. It's no different than the person who sells you your groceries. If you're a regular, you two may have built up a genuine and strong rapport, but if you don't make enough money you can't afford to keep that job.

Nah, the point about kayfabe is it denotes how the cam girl is selling a fantasy and guys buy into that.

I'm late to this. I no longer cam. I'm just on ManyVids, SextPanther, Snapchat, etc. but this is still my sole job. I am a heel character in the community. I exist in kayfabe. Not only am I a massive wrestling fan so this is appealing to me as it is, I enjoy approaching this industry like wrestling.

Reactions: Picnic
Nah, the point about kayfabe is it denotes how the cam girl is selling a fantasy and guys buy into that.

Kayfabe isn't just when the actors try and immerse you in a false reality. Brad Pitt does that every time he goes to work. Kayfabe is when a guy named Terry is at the airport introducing himself as Hulk Hogan and running through his catchphrases as if that's how he normally communicates. Kayfabe is about never turning off the character so that the masses can't tell what is real and what isn't. I don't think that's healthy in our business, or any sex business. It's important that clear lines are drawn. Who's to blame a man for showing up at your house unannounced if you truly did everything you could to convince him that you two were in a romantic relationship outside of the site?

I go out of my way to make sure that anyone who comes to my room and contributes to my goals knows that I genuinely appreciate them. And I've made genuine friends from camming that I expect to be my friends for life. What I never have, and never will do, is intentionally confuse people into forgetting that while Jillian is based on who I am. She's not real. The real me comes with morning breathe, insecurities about my weight, and much more that I don't believe would be overly entertaining to most.

something tells me playboy and the bible are the closest the wrestling fan ever gets to literature :pompous:

oh man, I'd have so much more respect for them if that was true. I tend to assume it's just immaturity ... that high school bitchiness of extremely spoilt self-involved people with no real life experience.

oh, of course...Playgirl!

(just to be clear: I'm not shaming their sexuality, just their intellect).

Ah, yes. Prejudice and bigotry at it's finest...

My husband got me into wrestling well over a decade ago and considers himself a smart mark. However, somehow before RIGHT this second I had never considered the similarities between creating a sexual alter ego and a wrestling one.

At least I get to pick my own gimmicks.

• Funny!
Reactions: THE MOLLIE MARIE
Who's to blame a man for showing up at your house unannounced if you truly did everything you could to convince him that you two were in a romantic relationship outside of the site?

I vigorously disagree. A point being got at is at the same time as random strangers get to observe/tip a cam model for hella intimate activities, this occurs within unspoken rules and limitations; it's only because us users don't (and should know not to) turn up at your door unannounced that we get to tip you to make the cha ha with your la-la

Status
Not open for further replies.