AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Can a male model do well in the business?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Male models make practically nothing, and most of them try to do it because they like wanking on cam, not because they're trying to make a living.

Females don't typically pay to see men on cam. The few viewers you get, will be male, so if you're comfortable with that, try it. Your total investment is going to be a cam and lighting.

Two male models I have known made between $2 and $50 per week, and they were both heterosexual, pretending to be gay. Another one, who is gay, worked extremely hard at his job and had a following after several years. He made around $200 a week on average, and the rest of his income was from web site design for female models.

Zoefzoef said:
PlayboyMegan said:
I vote we all spam this topic with random numbers so this guy can STFU!
Sure, but it would be great if can spam it with naked pics of yourself instead of random numbers.

There we go. I was wondering how long this would take. My suspicion with most men asking about being cam models here is confirmed. Looking for an in with the women here or free content. Of course now, they will say it was a joke asking for naked pics. :roll:

Zoefzoef said:
Read that topic already, already did some research, coudn't find much so now I try here.

heh.....took a closer look....nobody has been hounding the guys there the way you've been hounding the women here...are you in the middle of sex change? :lol:

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
Megaclit said:
Male models make practically nothing, and most of them try to do it because they like wanking on cam, not because they're trying to make a living.

Females don't typically pay to see men on cam. The few viewers you get, will be male, so if you're comfortable with that, try it. Your total investment is going to be a cam and lighting.

Two male models I have known made between $2 and $50 per week, and they were both heterosexual, pretending to be gay. Another one, who is gay, worked extremely hard at his job and had a following after several years. He made around $200 a week on average, and the rest of his income was from web site design for female models.
Finally a good answer, thanks.

Wow, I'm glad I didn't follow the advice that was given me here, trying it out for myself instead of waiting for some one to respond with a good answer.

Zoefzoef said:
Megaclit said:

Wow, I'm glad I didn't follow the advice that was given me here, trying it out for myself instead of waiting for some one to respond with a good answer.

See that second bit, the trying it out for yourself WAS the good answer given to you by many many people but you wanted people to put a ballpark figure on it. A)Not many models have any experience of male camming B) Even if they do figures will vary wildly. Its not rocket science that someone who looks like the earthly representation of The Statue of David will make more than someone who looks like a sack of potatoes

Next time you have a question, Try be less rude :thumbleft:

Our answers were the the best answer because it gave you a true sense of what the web cam biz is like. Completely up in the air and un-predictable. We gave you more than an estimated income, we gave you a peek behind the curtain of camming uncertainty. Every day is a new day and each day could be 100% different than the day before. Yes some male models make shit for money, but so do THOUSANDS of female models! If you choose not to try because some friend of a friend of a model only makes $2 a week then you aren't cut out for it anyway.

Basing your choice to work on other models successes and fails is the biggest mistake a cam model can ever make and will only result in failure because, as others have said, it really is that random.

Zoefzoef said:
Megaclit said:

How do you know it's a good answer? You haven't exactly done any due diligence. If you wanted to open a bakery on west 59th street would you go into a forum and ask if it was worthwhile?

Zoefzoef said:
Megaclit said:

Why wasn't the response from an actual male cam model not a good answer?

ItalianStallion said:
I'm doing cam on imlive and livejasmine...but is pretty crap....when i started on imlive at the end of april to may it was pretty ok.... but now is so dead.....anyway on imlive the best is Aaron72 (i reckon) anyway he's Aaron...and he's doing good...he's winning lot of prizes and he's always the male cam model of the week.....
I'm working in bad hours (I'm in Australia) so i'm loosing the top of the customers and i can't work on week end......but luckly i'm not doing this to survive.....
Anyway it will be a bet....u can be lucky or not...it depends also about ur usual customers....u can find people that will take u in pvr for half hour or more every day/night for example...or not......
I wish u good luck ;)

Non i'm waiting for the activation on streamate....we'll see

I LOVE Aaron!
He is such a sweetheart and works SO hard on there.
I think he said once that he only took a hand full of days off all year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe it does take a ton more work for a male model, and lots of time to get a good buildup of a fan base as well.
If you're willing to put in the work, you'll get it.
But sadly, its one of those jobs where girls can do all the right things and get by, while a guy could o all the right things and not.
There's just a much lower percentage of people who will visit male models, since women are not as visually stimulated, and many live male performers are too willing to give it away for free.

And there is absolutely, 100% no average of a cam model salary.
There are way too many things that can change and fluctuate.
I will say though, try to make at least minimum wage for your state, unless you're ONLY doing it for fun.

I will also say this about imlive. It was my first site, and I would NEVER EVER EVER go back.
I use Streamate now, and they've been 5 times more professional, better at advertising, and more model friendly.

Reactions: LadyLuna
Sweet Harry Fuck...

"Hey, guys. I want you to answer a question for me that doesn't really have an answer"

"Well, sir. We can't really answer that question"

"Well, screw you guys. I went out and did what I should have been doing from the start and found my own answers. But.. screw you, guys"

:?

Here's a practical application of why getting an average is bullshit.

Go to MFC. Check out all the models. What do you think the average camscore should be? There are some models with a camscore that has 6 digits, and some with 2 digit camscores. So what's the average camscore? 1,000. What camscore can you expect to get? Anything from 1 to a million. How helpful is it to know that 1,000 is the average camscore when you don't have a camscore yet? Not at all.

How helpful is it to know when you have a camscore? Much better, now you can compare yourself to the average. Got over 1200? Awesome, you're above average! Got within 200 of 1,000 (anywhere from 800-1200)? You're an average camgirl! Got less than 800? Sorry hun, you're not doing so well, step up your game! But if you're happy with how much you're making, then camscore doesn't really matter anyway!

But until you give it a try, you are never going to know if you fall in the average, above average, or below average range.

So there it is! Average doesn't tell you what to expect, it's a tool to compare where you are with where the rest of the sample is.

EDIT to add: I'm a math major. We INVENTED averages, so I oughta know what it's used for, no?

LadyLuna he probably will not see this. Zoefzoef was banned, for being a dick I think.

Shaun__ said:
LadyLuna he probably will not see this. Zoefzoef was banned, for being a dick I think.

I actually knew that, and I know why he was banned. I don't care. This message needs to be posted publicly for any and all who ask about averages, wanting to make predictions based on those averages. Averages were not now, nor were they ever, about making predictions about the future. They were always about making comparisons about the moment in which those averages were taken.

These fine ladies have done a very good job at giving you a breakdown of the cam business.

There's something that I'd like to share with you if you are still considering camming as a male(even though by now you may have decided to not do it)

I used to cam at Flirt4Free before transitioning to MFC, and the guys there actually did pretty well. They have daily contests held sometimes and they publicly make that available to members on the site, so on a day where there's a contest, they show the top 25 rankings sometimes girls and guys separatly, but most of the time they combine both sexes, and a lot of guys do very well on there actually, you can even go check yourself. Alot of guys have been the #1 earner of the day even. They even publish the most credits(which are like tokens there) earned ever monthly and the somebody on the guys side way surpassed the most credit earned ever in a month than the record on the female which would be found in the Hall of Fame Page on their site. He did over a million credits in sale and of which he's probably get anywhere from 20-30% cut or 34% at most if he's his own studio which I doubt. I don't know the guy personally but he's been on the site for 4 years, and he's half white half black. Aaron Best is his name.

Tricky things is, you've gotta be willing to do things out of your comfort zone if you aren't gay. You gotta be willing to do anal shows, use toys, role play and such, and keep consistent which is key to building your fan base.

Surprisingly, gay men are actually really good tippers, if you make an account on there for free(all they need is a credit card verification you don't even need to buy credits) you can browse around the models' profiles and you can click under "gifts" and see all of the tips they've earned for a given time(I think it even tracks as far back as when they started on the site) so you can see for yourself if you're curious. I think Aaron has made over 100k in tips in a 24 hour period, you can even double check on the site. There's another guy that's been in private for over 23 hours last month setting a record and he beat his own record by being in a 24 hour private over a couple of weeks ago I think.

Bottom line is, you gotta be Gay4Pay lol to make good money. There was a month long contest actually that was held this last June(like a miss MFC thing, but it was meant for the top ten models to win a trip), of which I worked pretty much everyday that month only took 3 days break, I came up at #6 that month, I was soooo happy, it was the most money I've ever made on that site! And 3 guys actually did more in earnings than I did, ,the #1 and 4 were girls, and #2, 3 and 5 were guys!

So it's entirely possible to make it very good money as a male cam model, you've got to have determination, a great attitude and be very open minded.

Hope this helps, :p

Reactions: Always_Tim
A female model can make anywhere from 5$ to 100+ and hr.
It all depends on the site she works on, and her personality/camming style/consistency etc.
We wouldn't KNOW about what guys make because we arent guys and most of us don't personally know any camguys.

From what Ive seen browsing around, solo male models don't very well at all compared to female models because the market is much smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.