AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Charity Events

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PunkInDrublic said:
Miss_Lollipop said:
I love doing charity days on cam. I will not apologize in saying that I use them as a camscore/top 100 boost.

I would hope that you use charity days as a means to donate to charity first and the camscore thing second.

That's counter to human nature. Everyone takes care of their own needs first. It's basic law of survival programmed into each of us. Only once our own needs and comforts are met do we look for ways of giving to, or back, to others in need. There's absolutely nothing wrong in thinking of your own income, and in this case camscore, first. If she didn't and score/income dropped then she would only be making enough to live on and wouldn't be in a position to do any charity work.

I say keep thinking of camscore boost first and foremost. The higher the ranking maybe the charity will get even more the next time.

JerryBoBerry said:
There's absolutely nothing wrong in thinking of your own income, and in this case camscore, first. If she didn't and score/income dropped then she would only be making enough to live on and wouldn't be in a position to do any charity work.

I say keep thinking of camscore boost first and foremost. The higher the ranking maybe the charity will get even more the next time.
Ok but the model should be upfront that she's doing it for personal reasons first and charity second. When I give to charity it's to help others, not in any way to help myself. This idea of using charities for personal gain is very new/strange to me.

JerryBoBerry said:
I akin it to Box Tops for education. Say you buy a $4 box of Cheerios, you can cut that little box top coupon and give it to your school and the company will give ten cents to your kid's school. That is only 2.5% of the money they are giving away as a charitable donation. Should they stop? After all they are being a 'grimey bitch' of a company. (sorry, I just couldn't resist that one, it's time had come) But realistically if they didn't do this small little program it would have meant schools didn't get $74 million in funds last year.

Every little bit helps. And it's way more than the charity would get without it. Keep doing it.

That's a great example! Each month my son's elementary school sent home a paper you were supposed to use to glue on those Box Top things. :) We used to get a lot of them from boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Transformers fruit snacks, etc.

PunkInDrublic said:
This idea of using charities for personal gain is very new/strange to me.

I'm torn on this one. I'd agree it's kind of icky but it's probably not something to discourage. Like when a multi billion dollar company writes a million dollar cheque for some starving kids in Africa... it would be naive to think that the company who wrote that cheque aren't gonna benefit - tax write-offs, public image boost, etc. - and it would be equally naive to think that they weren't fully aware of that when they decided to make the donation in the first place. But even though a huge part of their reasoning for making such a donation is ultimately self-serving, the people who are gonna benefit from those donations will benefit just as much as if the donations were made for purely altruistic reasons, ya know?

PunkInDrublic said:
JerryBoBerry said:
There's absolutely nothing wrong in thinking of your own income, and in this case camscore, first. If she didn't and score/income dropped then she would only be making enough to live on and wouldn't be in a position to do any charity work.

Ok but the model should be upfront that she's doing it for personal reasons first and charity second. When I give to charity it's to help others, not in any way to help myself. This idea of using charities for personal gain is very new/strange to me.
What if my personal reason is happiness? It makes me happy to do things for others, therefore I have selfish intentions. Is that also wrong?

PlayboyMegan said:
PunkInDrublic said:
JerryBoBerry said:

What if my personal reason is happiness? It makes me happy to do things for others, therefore I have selfish intentions. Is that also wrong?
It's about quid pro quo...a fair exchange. Humans are social creatures; we survive by cooperating with one another. The payoff is that if you help Joe, then maybe Joe will do something to help Mary and maybe Mary will help you...or someone else in the chain. Where the self serving becomes evil is when charity isn't really helping anyone but the charity. I don't think we should be cynical about charities, but simply quietly skeptical when encountering new ones. Check to see what the percentage is that actually goes to the cause and how much the "charity" keeps for their leaders. As a rule of thumb, I use a 50:50 ratio--not as good as it should be but at that ratio, at least it's not all greed.

PunkInDrublic said:
Miss_Lollipop said:
I love doing charity days on cam. I will not apologize in saying that I use them as a camscore/top 100 boost.

I would hope that you use charity days as a means to donate to charity first and the camscore thing second.

EDIT - i wrote out a LONG post about why i do what i do, justifying my way of giving back, my commitment to a life that gives back, and my long term goals for my non profit ventures. My experience etc etc... and then i realized, its none of your business and it does not matter.

Its mutually beneficial. And I wont apologize for that, or be ashamed of it.

But even if it was a PURELY selfish reason, I still feel like donating is donating. The money spends the same.

When i was running the shelter I didn't care where the money came from, we were so desparate for funds. Some people donated out of guilt,, to make themselves feel better, because someone died and it was their reletives last gift.. Some donated for the tax break. THE MONEY SPENT THE SAME and it SAVED LIVES. period.

Stop being so judgemental and just be thankful that there is giving in this world.

(AND I DIDNT WANT TO GET INTO THE DRAMA DAMMIT)

yummybrownfox said:
JerryBoBerry said:
I akin it to Box Tops for education. Say you buy a $4 box of Cheerios, you can cut that little box top coupon and give it to your school and the company will give ten cents to your kid's school. That is only 2.5% of the money they are giving away as a charitable donation. Should they stop? After all they are being a 'grimey bitch' of a company. (sorry, I just couldn't resist that one, it's time had come) But realistically if they didn't do this small little program it would have meant schools didn't get $74 million in funds last year.

Every little bit helps. And it's way more than the charity would get without it. Keep doing it.

That's a great example! Each month my son's elementary school sent home a paper you were supposed to use to glue on those Box Top things. :) We used to get a lot of them from boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Transformers fruit snacks, etc.

As long as you are not buying these box top things for the main purpose of donating to charity its fine. The charity thing is a bonus. If its a good product, value for money, good price etc + the company donates to charity = awesome. But if you can a better product or an identical one, then you can in most cases (if you use the saving) donate more charity.

There is no obligation for anyone to donate to charity especially in monetary terms. If you can help your friend or your community that is imo enough. Anything more of course is awesome.

Miss_Lollipop said:
EDIT - i wrote out a LONG post about why i do what i do, justifying my way of giving back, my commitment to a life that gives back, and my long term goals for my non profit ventures. My experience etc etc... and then i realized, its none of your business and it does not matter.

Agreed.
Miss_Lollipop said:
But even if it was a PURELY selfish reason, I still feel like donating is donating. The money spends the same.
For like the third time, I agree with this. A post made reference to a model potentially using it for self serving purposes. I brought up that even if this is the case, at least she's donating.
Miss_Lollipop said:
Stop being so judgemental
I don't see how I'm being judgmental.
Miss_Lollipop said:
(AND I DIDNT WANT TO GET INTO THE DRAMA DAMMIT)
I don't see much drama. Just people trying to talk charities.

yummybrownfox said:
JerryBoBerry said:

I actually used it for a personal experience I had with them. I use to be a merchandiser in walmarts (my company got hired by companies selling products in walmart to go in and do tasks related to their stuff). My brother and his wife also did this. We got a job to go in and put on stickers of box tops on various cereal boxes (they shipped in several pallets for back to school stuff).

We were thinking if we put them on the boxes most of them will get thrown out and never used. So we decided to keep them and donate them all to the local school. 5000 tops from each of us. School got $1500 all in one box from an anonymous person. :)

Yes i know, dishonest to the company, blah blah blah. We all decided we didn't care that time. Ends justified the means sort of thing.

Reactions: CharlotteLace
trotskyleon said:
As long as you are not buying these box top things for the main purpose of donating to charity its fine. The charity thing is a bonus. If its a good product, value for money, good price etc + the company donates to charity = awesome. But if you can a better product or an identical one, then you can in most cases (if you use the saving) donate more charity.

Even if the main reason a person buys an item is for those Box Tops, how would that not be fine? They're still doing a good thing for others by donating it. I don't eat Raisin Bran cereal, for example, and I wouldn't buy it just because there's a Box Top on it. I may, however, buy Transformers fruit snacks, because we like those. And yes, those do have Box Tops on them. It's a win/win.

The point is...a lot of people have those Box Top coupons on the package of the item they're about to eat, and they throw them out without thinking about it. If a person cares enough to grab some scissors, cut them out, and send them into the school, cool...they did a good thing and shouldn't be criticized for it. People shouldn't refer to cam girls who donate to charity as 'selfish'...just because part of the reason they do it is beneficial to them.

tumblr_mgfnhsmoha1ql5ylko1_500.gif

When school-age kids/parents do that Jump Rope For Heart campaign, that's for a good cause, and the kids who raise a certain amount of money can get prizes...there are different prize levels. Some of the kids (and their parents) who participate are determined to raise a lot of money...partly because they're trying to win that cool toy. That doesn't make them selfish people who ought to be criticized.

I agree with Lolli and Yummy. Example: For Christmas, we donated a bunch of things to needy families. One little girl with Autism wanted a piano for her mom (apparently the mom used to play, but lost her piano years ago). So with the help of some movers, we traveled over 200 miles to buy a used piano and deliver it to their house while the mom was gone. The mom sent me the sweetest email (yes, it caused many tears) thanking me. You better believe that I shared that story/email with EVERYONE. Mainly because it made me feel so good to make such an impact in someone's life. So I did accept praise and congratulations gladly. And I'm not sorry. There, hate me now. Cause I'm selfish in my selflessness. :lol:

How are any of these examples being given in any way comparable to a model using charity to advance her own financial situation? Box tops? Jump rope? Donating to a family? Ya'll seriously reachin like Dhalsim here.

Reactions: trotskyleon

I was doing a TED marathon the other day and came across this.

The TL;DR is that if something increases giving overall, it's good, no matter what others may think of how charity should work. I kind of felt he glossed over some abuses in the name of charitable organizations, but overall, he makes some excellent points.

PunkInDrublic said:
How are any of these examples being given in any way comparable to a model using charity to advance her own financial situation? Box tops? Jump rope? Donating to a family? Ya'll seriously reachin like Dhalsim here.
Maybe not, but they're perfect examples of the whole idea of charity...which is what the thread was originally about...it's not about trashing folks who abuse the idea of charity. That could be a different thread. In fact, the OP mentions such criticisms...in the sense that some people always criticize charitable events, insofar as what percentage of funds received should the cause receive. A fair question, but not one easily answered since every charity has its own circumstances.

PunkInDrublic said:

You're right, they aren't the same. A model using a charity to advance her financial situation is gross (by that, I mean, lying and saying she'll donate and then not doing it), but a model with a higher camscore (which comes from tokens) means that the more tokens earned, the higher the score and the higher the potential to earn more for the charity because of more exposure. So by the tokens coming in and raising her camscore, the next time she does this, she might be in a financial position to give 50% instead of 30% or 100% instead of 50% simply because the higher camscore ultimately brought in new tippers between charity days.

It's only selfish if the model doesn't donate what she said she would, regardless of the camscore aspect of it.

Edit: I hope that makes sense because I just woke up.

PunkInDrublic said:

Actually box tops is a perfect analogy.

Scenario 1)
A model uses charity to advance her own financial situation

Should a model stop giving any percentage to charity just because her primary objective is to further her personal status? (ranking and financially)

The models motives are not a concern to the charity she is giving the money to. They can keep helping those in need.

There is nothing wrong with a model using a charity event to primarily advance her career. The bottom line is the charity still gets funds.

Scenario 2)
A cereal company uses box tops (charity) to promote sales of product thus advancing their financial situation.

Should the cereal company STOP being greedy and only giving away 2.5% of the cereal price to charity just because it is using the marketing of the charity to gain financially?

The school couldn't care less General Mills is keeping 97.5% of the selling price of the cereal. They have money to buy computers now.

There is nothing wrong with a cereal company using a charity promotion to primarily advance their sales. The bottom line is the school still gets more money than if they hadn't.

It seems like a rather straight forward, and rather easily attained analogy. Not reaching for anything in any way.

JerryBoBerry said:

It's a horrible analogy. Box tops intent is to help others and not push the product. If people buy Cheerio's because of a box top that's a bonus. I completely get "the ends justifying the means" talk. I'm just not going to pretend someone is Robin Hood when they abuse charities for personal gain. I do appreciate you explaining your reasoning.

PunkInDrublic said:
JerryBoBerry said:

It's a horrible analogy. Box tops intent is to help others and not push the product. If people buy Cheerio's because of a box top that's a bonus. I completely get "the ends justifying the means" talk. I'm just not going to pretend someone is Robin Hood when they abuse charities for personal gain. I do appreciate you explaining your reasoning.

Actually, it is a correct analogy. It really is there to push the product. The helping part is psychology to get people to keep buying their products or think "oh look some of the money I spend on this overpriced cereal will help my child's school." or just for public relations. These are examples of "Cause Marketing". But saying, "I am doing some cause marketing" , does not sound very good.

Just Me said:
Actually, it is a correct analogy. It really is there to push the product.

Actually, it really isn't. Even if box tops were created solely to sell the product with helping others not even being a thought, it's still a bad comparison. It's better but still not very good. Appreciate the link.

PunkInDrublic said:

No, almost everyone in this thread is on the same page. Don't accuse us of "reaching" just because you're that person in the thread who doesn't get it.

If it bothers you that much what a model's reasons are for raising funds for a good cause, or you're one of those people who's suspicious of everything, then just don't tip her for it. Simple.

yummybrownfox said:
No, almost everyone in this thread is on the same page. Don't accuse us of "reaching" just because you're that person in the thread who doesn't get it.
lol
yummybrownfox said:
If it bothers you that much what a model's reasons are for raising funds
It doesn't bother me at all. I would prefer transparency but I'm not bothered by anything a model does.

Thank you Sevrin, I've been thinking about that video any time anyone brings up charities and looking into their percentages. I haven't actually looked into percentages of any charities. Do they show how much goes towards advertising? I believe the talk (I haven't watched it since it was first posted) says that it gets lumped in with a bunch of other stuff called "overhead". I think they should change the percentages so that advertising is a separate one. But that's just what I think.

On topic:

I've never done this. I've been interested in doing it, but whenever I think I should, my earnings plummet and I get scared that I'd have no choice but to use that money for my bills. Since I don't want to be a scammer, (not doing what I said I would), I have to wait until my partner is paying most of the bills.

Reactions: Nordling
I_Am_Iris said:
I agree with Lolli and Yummy. Example: For Christmas, we donated a bunch of things to needy families. One little girl with Autism wanted a piano for her mom (apparently the mom used to play, but lost her piano years ago). So with the help of some movers, we traveled over 200 miles to buy a used piano and deliver it to their house while the mom was gone. The mom sent me the sweetest email (yes, it caused many tears) thanking me. You better believe that I shared that story/email with EVERYONE. Mainly because it made me feel so good to make such an impact in someone's life. So I did accept praise and congratulations gladly. And I'm not sorry. There, hate me now. Cause I'm selfish in my selflessness. :lol:

See, the way you do it sets a good example for others and can be infectious. And you should feel good about it. Nothing wrong with that.

LadyLuna said:
I've never done this. I've been interested in doing it, but whenever I think I should, my earnings plummet and I get scared that I'd have no choice but to use that money for my bills. Since I don't want to be a scammer, (not doing what I said I would), I have to wait until my partner is paying most of the bills.

Good way to support charity without worrying about a committment, is to join a charity that has a donation page. So us members can donate directly on that page - $1 to whatever. You set a goal maybe $500 for this month, and if you reach that goal then you can maybe do a special show for your members.

OF course during the special show you will hopefully receive tips and you already have donated a minimum of $500 - so win-win. Nothing comes "out of your pocket", because the members donate directly into your donation fund (i.e members sponsor you). If you dont reach the goal..then you dont do your special show but you just donate whatever you have received.

I hope i explained that well.

And there is no reason why you shouldnt support a members donation page too. Suppose if a member is already part of charity and is being sponsored by a few people. You can sponsor them and set target in that fashion. You dont have to donate, but you are encouraging others to donate which is a good thing too. Of course it will be the member who donates to charity though and not you.

While this is a great idea... I worry that doing so would make my earnings tank more. It's like....

On Monday, I say that I'll be doing a special show on Friday, and explain that it'll be a 2000 token countdown. Mon-Thurs, tips are slower than usual, rarely get any privates. I tell myself it'll be okay, they're just saving for the Friday show. Friday rolls around and 5 people show up, one of which tips 50 tokens eventually. After three hours of practically nothing, I log off and try again an hour later. Ten people show up, two of which tip 100 each. I get one show for 200 tokens. End of the day, I have 450 tokens, when my usual for that long of a day is 1500. AND it was a slow week.

THIS is what happens every single time I do a special of any kind. The only way I've gotten specials to work is if I do it in the background without telling anyone. What kind of special is that?

Reactions: trotskyleon
Status
Not open for further replies.