AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Firewatch

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Anglais
Did anyone pick this one up yet?

*VERY MILD SPOILERS*

I just finished it (it's fairly short) and loved it. It's at once beautiful, heartbreaking, nostalgic, melancholy, frightening, funny, subversive, immersive, romantic and sobering. It just gets so much right. You play as Hank, a dood running from the heavy shit going on in his life, and taking a job as a fire lookout in this huge, sprawling, gorgeous national park in 1989. You're essentially cut off from human contact, save for the voice at the other end of your walkie-talkie. When something needs investigating, it's your job to investigate. When something goes bump in the dead of night, it's your job to pull on your big boy pants and deal with it.

Most of the game consists of walking from Point A to B with only a compass and map to guide you. Most of the story and characterisation is fleshed out through brilliantly scripted and acted conversations between Hank and Delilah (the voice at the other end of the walkie-talkie). You get to choose how to respond to Delilah - you can be open and honest, you can deflect with humour, you can be an asshole - but you don't get to shape the story past that. There are no enemies in the traditional gaming sense. There is no combat to speak of. There is no challenge. The only way to fail is to stop playing. And yet this is a game that left me feeling immersed in its world like few others ever have.

The game does such a good job of ably holding your attention throughout even seemingly mundane tasks - hiking through picturesque, sun-drenched woodland to tell off a couple of teenagers for letting off fireworks or collecting wood panels to cover a broken window - that being pulled out of that newly established comfort zone by something out of the ordinary, even remotely so, feels pant-wettingly ominous in the moment.

In one sense, the ending of the game is an anti-climax (albeit purposefully so), but in another, it's one of the better gaming conclusions I can recall. It's not just the resolution of a story; it's a very relatable moment in a series of them, some fleeting and some not so, that trade on universal themes so much bigger than the particulars of any one narrative. And if you don't get misty-eyed as the credits roll and Etta James plays over that slide-show of photographs, you might be bereft of a soul.

Reactions: Always_Tim and Gen
I was so excited and picked Firewatch up day one! I'd followed their marketing for ages (a year maybe?) and when they announced the release was two weeks away I was so stoked. Then I read an interview and saw that the writers were previously at Telltale on The Walking Dead, which I adored, so that got me even more excited.

I played it all in a day because it is super short. It is so beautiful, and a cool concept, and I enjoyed playing it. But I felt weird about my own feelings toward it - firstly the trailer felt a bit misleading (I played it before watching the trailer but if I'd done the opposite I'd likely have been displeased), and I felt like the game built me up for one thing, took it away and made me feel guilty for wanting the more exciting alternative. Does that makes sense? Like it sells you this idea and then it is something different and I felt judged for liking the first idea better, lol. Obviously that's a lot of my own interpretation but I found it a bit anti-climactic.

I like games with that kind of feel/story but I also like when it feels consistent and when I feel like the buildup has payoff. I wouldn't have expected certain things if the game didn't tell me to expect them, and then not deliver.

But - it is beautiful and enjoyable, and it took me through many emotions. I think I just expected, and then wanted, something else, so it felt like a letdown. I'm going to replay it and I think it'll be more satisfying this time.

Also if I knew then what I know now, is likely have waited for a sale. As beautiful as it is, and I like Campo Santo, it didn't feel worth $20 to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.