AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Friend Adds/PMs

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2019
Hey models! I am perfecting my Tip Menu before I have my first show on MFC, and I want to add Friend Add to my menu. My question is: What is the nature of PMs? Like, how frequently, and for how long, are models expected to reply PMs? I don't want to reply to PMs my entire shift, ignoring my chatroom. Also, what are most PMs like? Are a lot of them extremely explicit right off the bat, or are the majority like awkward Tinder convos? Thank you all in advance!

I very rarely PM on cam. It's usually to say thank you for a big tip, something that's important for that member only, or a short, sweet reply to someone who messages me first.

If you are PMing a lot on cam, I think it takes away from the chat room. It depends though, because I've seen my fair share of models who mostly PM members when they're online instead of focusing on chat, and that can be a way you cam, too.

As a new model I would advise you to do pms for free. Depending on how long your broadcast will be, you will get hundreds of them. Most of them are a waste of time (ALL kinds of scam attempts, "I'm on cam for you bb" etc.). BUT many guys will just not spend money for a friend add for a new model, so you lose potential tippers. Depending on how much traffic you get, you can later add guys to friends and restrict pms. It's best when you take a look at myfreecams chat rooms yourself. Only the really top rooms have a vivid public chat room. Even in the region of 4,000 to 7,000 camscore you will see public chat rooms that are empty and communication is just through pm.

As a new model I would advise you to do pms for free. Depending on how long your broadcast will be, you will get hundreds of them. Most of them are a waste of time (ALL kinds of scam attempts, "I'm on cam for you bb" etc.). BUT many guys will just not spend money for a friend add for a new model, so you lose potential tippers. Depending on how much traffic you get, you can later add guys to friends and restrict pms. It's best when you take a look at myfreecams chat rooms yourself. Only the really top rooms have a vivid public chat room. Even in the region of 4,000 to 7,000 camscore you will see public chat rooms that are empty and communication is just through pm.
I very rarely PM on cam. It's usually to say thank you for a big tip, something that's important for that member only, or a short, sweet reply to someone who messages me first.

If you are PMing a lot on cam, I think it takes away from the chat room. It depends though, because I've seen my fair share of models who mostly PM members when they're online instead of focusing on chat, and that can be a way you cam, too.
Thank you two! I really appreciate your responses. I won't add it to my tip menu.

Hey models! I am perfecting my Tip Menu before I have my first show on MFC, and I want to add Friend Add to my menu. My question is: What is the nature of PMs? Like, how frequently, and for how long, are models expected to reply PMs? I don't want to reply to PMs my entire shift, ignoring my chatroom. Also, what are most PMs like? Are a lot of them extremely explicit right off the bat, or are the majority like awkward Tinder convos? Thank you all in advance!
I did have a ton of PMs on my first show. I have decided to do the Friend Add on my menu but I kept it low (25 tokens on MFC) just to keep it manageable. Other models have suggested that I do it this way and to use the settings so only friends can PM. I will say that since I changed that, i get less PMs but I also get MFC mail now so it is kind of a trade off lol but the mail can be answered whenever. But it is completely up to you! Do whatever works for you and feel free to change your mind and change things up! Maybe try not charging and see how it works out or try charging and see what the difference is? You just got to try things and see what works for you. You've got this! :h:

Reactions: AmberCutie
Yeah, before using public chat many users will rather send an mfc mail. Public chat seems to be the biggest evil for many users.
Maybe combine the friend add with another item from your tip menu? Who tips for item xy gets a friend add too?
But again, on the first days I'd just leave pms for free if you think you will identify the scammers and time wasters quickly and leave these pms unanswered. When you look around on mfc, you will see quite many rooms even in high camscore regions with barely any public chat and since I don't think they communicate by telepathy or something I will just assume that it's pms. For most users it just is the preferred way to communicate and also THE biggest difference to other camsites, the easy 1:1 communication.

Reactions: Mila_ and FoxyDame
I don't think having open pm's is a good idea, in the sense that MFC is all about the room and entertaining it, vs talking to people individually. I personally hated dealing with it when I was on MFC so I priced them moderately high so not many people bought them. If someone wants to say something personally to me they can send me mail that I'll check after the show or write in a private tip note. During the show they should be in the group talking and encouraging others to participate, not trying to commandeer all my attention for themselves through a private chat.

In my opinion and own experience for a NEW model restricting pms from day one is not good, because you keep a number of tippers away. There ARE tippers who will rather chew their leg off than ever use public chat or pay just for a pm with a new model. These people are on mfc, because they never ever have to use public chat and can have 1:1 attention. These people exist, don't keep them out. Unless you feel stressed by the scam pm attack that you will get, in my opinion having free pms when you start is the less bad choice.

Reactions: Mila_
Idk, when I had pm's open on MFC all I got were freeloaders trying to dirty talk with me without tipping for anything and it was very frustrating. I guess I just don't see how someone who wants to pm but isn't willing to tip even a small amount for it would be willing to tip for other things. If they want one on one attention there are better ways to go about, like scheduling privates with a model or using streamate.

Idk, when I had pm's open on MFC all I got were freeloaders trying to dirty talk with me without tipping for anything and it was very frustrating. I guess I just don't see how someone who wants to pm but isn't willing to tip even a small amount for it would be willing to tip for other things. If they want one on one attention there are better ways to go about, like scheduling privates with a model or using streamate.

I'd also like to add that as a member, I do a lot of tip note communications ( /tip -s -m 5 Message to model ) or will chat in room primariliy. Especially if it's a room I might not have been in before. I usually leave it to the model to initiate any kind of PM communication, especially in a room I've not been in. If it's a model frequent regularly, I might PM a quick hello or message. But, regardless of that or new model, I always leave it to her discretion on when/how/if she responds as I know she's probably got a ton of PM's already and don't want to distract from the room

A new model should be open to anything and nice to everyone. Charging for PMs off the bat can give the wrong impression. Members with tokens for the most part have a favorite model or 5 (lol) that they save their tokens for. On occasion they might stumble upon a new girl they might like but they are initially closed off to tipping because they save their tokens for the “tried and true” rooms they visit. If this model has PMs open they can strike up a conversation and get to know her better and might even change their minds and tip or request a private show or buy content. When you have no friends and no experience the best thing is to open yourself up to every opportunity even if that means you have to weed out the time wasters and scammers. In my opinion new models should keep PMs open and reply to all of them with one word or so and let the member reveal what he wants. Then ignore the PMs unless he sounds like a cool member who won’t take advantage. If she happens to become a sensation from day 1 which is rare but it does happen then she can close off PMs, but not with a camscore of 1000 and no friends in a room of 10 viewers .

OK, guess I'm the oddball here. My first move is never to PM a model. If there is no public chat and the model is only PMing, I'm out. As a member, I don't have my PMs open, only for friends, so I sure as hell don't expect a model to have her's open.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-pm. It is useful and definitely has its place. Just a random dude/member offering an opinion. Don't take anything I say as gospel.

OK, guess I'm the oddball here. My first move is never to PM a model. If there is no public chat and the model is only PMing, I'm out. As a member, I don't have my PMs open, only for friends, so I sure as hell don't expect a model to have her's open.

You are not the only one dude! This has been exactly the same way I have rolled on MFC since April 2010.

I have never initiated a PM convo with a model. Not once! I have never needed to open a PM. I usually say 'hi' in public chat and send a tip along with a tip note, which is also a great method to contact the model with any message or request btw... ;)

If I come across a room where the model has abandoned public chat to cater to the freeloaders, beggars, scammers, time wasters and attention whores on PM, then I'm off next door to check out the next room along. Sorry, but she just lost another tipper.

It's interesting to see the different opinions and experiences on pm's here. Some members don't like them, some won't engage in a room without them, some models keep them open and some don't.
I think it really shows how there isn't any one way to cam and how you shouldn't take any one person's word as gospel cuz everyone does things differently. There's pros and cons to each method, and what works for one person doesn't work for another. I'm really glad this forum exists so we can see these different opinions; it's really easy to get stuck in this mindset of "this is how you do it, that way is wrong", so it's nice seeing things from the other side.

I wanna know how op's been doing with the pm's open and if that ended up working out for her. How did it go @EveAngelical ?

It's interesting to see the different opinions and experiences on pm's here. Some members don't like them, some won't engage in a room without them, some models keep them open and some don't.
I think it really shows how there isn't any one way to cam and how you shouldn't take any one person's word as gospel cuz everyone does things differently. There's pros and cons to each method, and what works for one person doesn't work for another. I'm really glad this forum exists so we can see these different opinions; it's really easy to get stuck in this mindset of "this is how you do it, that way is wrong", so it's nice seeing things from the other side.

I wanna know how op's been doing with the pm's open and if that ended up working out for her. How did it go @EveAngelical ?
Thank you for checking in! So sweet. I've actually got a wifi problem I'm trying to sort out before I'm up and running, but I well definitely keep you updated!

Reactions: AlexaCrush
I was told on my first night that PMs should be friends only (by a model friend and some members) with a token amount attached to it. I keep it low usually 12 tokens for the add and ability to PM me. I don't usually have a very high room count or camscore, but it does get some action. I hate to type while I'm in chat. I've thought about opening them up for a night to see if it drives any traffic to my room, but I don't want the members who have tipped for a friend add and the exclusive ability to PM with me to feel jipped (sp?) Thoughts?

If it was 12 tokens I don't think the previous tippers will feel cheated upon. Even if it was more, I would just try.

I will add another perspective. I formerly worked for an Eastern European studio on mfc. There are thousands of them on mfc. All we did, all our admins and managers did was pm guys, we have lists, we have scripts, we're told what to say, how to look, how to create pity and emotional distress and it works. This is your competition.

Last edited:
If it was 12 tokens I don't think the previous tippers will feel cheated upon. Even if it was more, I would just try.

I will add another perspective. I formerly worked for an Eastern European studio on mfc. There are thousands of them on mfc. All we did, all our admins and managers did was pm guys, we have lists, we have scripts, we're told what to say, how to look, how to create pity and emotional distress and it works. This is your competition.

Thanks, I think I will give it a shot next time I go on solo for a shorter period of time when it's quiet in my room and see what happens!

Sorry, I'm not sure what that second part of the quote was if you edited it out or not, so I apologize if you didn't want it shown.

Just wanted to say thanks, it worked out pretty well opening the pms up! I'll probably keep it like this for now until my room grows.

And to add...I had a member pming about something for a while the other night, and i am super glad it was only in the pms even though the vibe of it affected the vibe of my room, I'm glad all the stuff he was saying was not public.

I'm all over the board when it comes to PMs, some of the rooms I regularly visit I almost never PM the model, others I typically dont say anything past hello in public chat. Some of the models I talk with in PM do the "tip xxx tokens for friend add/PM" others its kind of an unwritten rule that if you tipped today, feel free to PM, I almost prefer the latter because its pretty uncommon for me to visit a friend without tipping.

Last edited:

Hey Alexa! I forgot to reply to you after my first show. I went on last week, Friday night, about 11:30 CT. I was on for 20 minutes without any tips, freaked about my camscore, and logged off. I unknowingly had my PMs off. I fixed it once I logged on, but had members tell me it still wasn't working.

A new model should be open to anything and nice to everyone. Charging for PMs off the bat can give the wrong impression. Members with tokens for the most part have a favorite model or 5 (lol) that they save their tokens for. On occasion they might stumble upon a new girl they might like but they are initially closed off to tipping because they save their tokens for the “tried and true” rooms they visit. If this model has PMs open they can strike up a conversation and get to know her better and might even change their minds and tip or request a private show or buy content. When you have no friends and no experience the best thing is to open yourself up to every opportunity even if that means you have to weed out the time wasters and scammers. In my opinion new models should keep PMs open and reply to all of them with one word or so and let the member reveal what he wants. Then ignore the PMs unless he sounds like a cool member who won’t take advantage. If she happens to become a sensation from day 1 which is rare but it does happen then she can close off PMs, but not with a camscore of 1000 and no friends in a room of 10 viewers .

But at what point with a cool customer do you bring up, hey It's cool that we get along but this is a job and I can't keep chatting with you for free exclusively?

But at what point with a cool customer do you bring up, hey It's cool that we get along but this is a job and I can't keep chatting with you for free exclusively?

You don’t chat with anyone that’s not tipping you, you don’t dirty talk in PM at all, but you keep them open so you can answer questions members might have about private shows or anything else. Basically greet them back and be kind in your tone but don’t answer back if you realise they are time wasters

You don’t chat with anyone that’s not tipping you, you don’t dirty talk in PM at all, but you keep them open so you can answer questions members might have about private shows or anything else. Basically greet them back and be kind in your tone but don’t answer back if you realise they are time wasters

I think I will try this as an experiment over the weekend. In general i keep PMs closed to anyone not on my friends list, because, in my experience, it can be extremely overwhelming to have them all coming at you when you're trying to focus on general chat. It's been a long minute since I had open PMs, so we'll see how it goes!

Reactions: BadgirlIvy
so, i always have had PMs turned off on MFC since i started, as on my first day i had like 50 dudes tryna pm me right away. stressful af.

this week I turned them back on (it's been months since i had new status lol) and it actually turned out very well for me!

i've been exploring my findom side, but this may work for others too -- if they're trying to dirty talk in your pms, say something like "why don't you send a tip first and we'll see where things go" or something. if they're being obnoxious/boring/don't have any tokens i'll say something like "why don't you send a tip to prove it ;)" etc etc. It's an easy way to weed out a lot of freeloaders or get them out of your pms without being rude or ignoring them. And hey, might end up getting you some tips if they're not complete dildos. :)

aside from that, i find a lot of folks like to get to know people in pms either cause they... like pms for whatever reason, and/or don't have sound. i obviously spend more time on people with tokens, or people who i just enjoy talking to more. even those who i enjoy more, i still push them towards tipping after a while. this worked out today, i actually got a guy with zero tokens to go buy some for me. very satisfying :)

i usually still talk to myself a lil bit or say hi to new users to show people that i do still talk in public chat though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.