AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Get your lighting in order please.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tubby556

Banhammered
Mar 3, 2010
midwest
profiles.myfreecams.com
Gorgeous ladies, please get your lighting in order before you go live. So many cute women get passed up because of inadequate lighting.

Get your camera (handheld digital, I know you got one) and set it on the timer. Set it up where you would go on cam and take a pic. If I can't make out the details of your beautiful figure, I'm going to the next model's room. Doesn't matter how beautiful you are or appear to be. If I can't see you, I can't tip you. I give a lot of "newb" points to new models, as a few here can probably attest from my past demeanor. For your sake and your income, please show yourself.

Unfortunately if you're on this forum you're already a model and may have not figured this out. Try it out with a trusted friend or head over to the model only section of the forum and ask a model to critique your lighting over Skype or something.

Just some general constructive feedback not targeting anyone specifically on the forum. I passed up on a half dozen models tonight that didn't have adequate lighting. Please, veteran models, articulate to the new generation that proper sound and lighting are essential to success.

That is all.

Love,

Tubby

Reactions: spikyhaired
There is actually a very, very detailed lighting thread in the models only section! So gals, get your model status verified & get in there. :-D

(crap, Frankie made this redundant while I was typing it out - still, hopefully it helps some of you, both models and others needing good lighting for other things).

Thanks for starting this thread Tubby, I've been meaning to do something similar. While I appreciate the point you're trying to make, it doesn't really provide anything in the way of tips for setting up good lighting (particularly on a low-budget).

So, along those lines, allow me to offer some links that should help out any models who are either confused about how to set up good lighting or just want to see why it's worth doing...

Why should you bother about your lighting?

For starters, have a look at this article on photographing models (not the forum-type of models, the action-figure type). While some of it isn't really too relevant, it does show some examples along the way of why you need at least two light sources and a rough guide on setting them up. (It also has an excellent tip for making a cheap diffuser which will come in handy once you know what a diffuser is).

Next, here are some youtube links;

This first one shows a more complicated setup than most models will need but does a pretty good job of explaining the basics of three point lighting. For most models here, I'd recommend just worrying about the first two light sources - not only might the third one be tricky to set in a small room, it's not as valuable for camming unless your skintone, hair and clothes tend to blend into your background.

This second one might seem to cover the same ground as the first, but it does fill in a few important points and explains the problems with not following the setup described in the first one as closely as you might want to. Again, some of it is irrelevant but on the whole, it should be another five minutes well spent.

This third video is almost totally overkill - those lights are frickin' way bigger than you should need for camming. However, it does show a very useful tip on making and setting up a reflector. For models on a super shoestring budget who can only afford one light, you could use a reflector with flat foil as a substitute fill light. I would advise against this, but if you can't afford a second lamp, it's better than nothing.

This one is about equipment. It reminds me of a home shopping network clip - it doesn't actually show any examples of setting things up, but it does give you examples of the kind of equipment you can buy very cheaply at IKEA or suchlike to carry out the tips described above. They got their whole setup for under $100 (way under if you don't count the stools they bought or bother with a backlight).

Last link: Here's a slightly odd guy showing you a home studio setup he did for $35. The clip runs for under two minutes and shows the same guy sitting at his desk with each light gradually added to the picture. Hopefully, this will help you see the usefulness of proper lighting.

(Don't forget about that diffuser in the first link as an excellent way to make a fill light or to soften your main light - it's so cheap and elegant, I love it)

Apart from these tips, the biggest other recommendation I'd make to models is to avoid having any lamps or direct light sources in the frame with you. Webcams are particularly good at adjusting contrast to suit what they receive; this means that if you have a very bright area of the frame, it will darken the other areas quite dramatically. If you can't move a lamp (or a window with sunlight), try hanging a sheet in front of it (never over it, big fire hazard) or placing some other object in the way. Even if you ignore all other suggestions in these links, this is the biggest mistake I notice in model lighting.

Good luck all, don't be afraid to ask for clarification on any of this either in here or by sending a forum PM or MFCmail.

And remember; the better your image quality, the better you look, the better you feel and the better you will do. :p

ps- Thanks Frankie :)

Dazza235 said:
Last link: Here's a slightly odd guy showing you a home studio setup he did for $35. The clip runs for under two minutes and shows the same guy sitting at his desk with each light gradually added to the picture. Hopefully, this will help you see the usefulness of proper lighting.

.. slightly? :shock:

I can't tell you how many times I've seen very cute profile pics, then went to the room and it looked like a "Blair Witch Project" parody, due to poor lighting. All's I can do is shrug and click next.

To me, almost worse than inadequate light is lighting that shows a strong color cast, almost to the extent that the entire room seems monochromatic--usually shades of yellow.

One very attractive model, who is also very entertaining is Starry_Night, but I rarely go in her room because the color almost makes me ill. Jaundiced is not attractive. :)

Sometimes I'm not so good at the 'read and then apply' method of webcams, so if any of you wanna pop into my room and tell me if my lighting is ok or not, I swear I won't hammer time you! I like getting help from people I know aren't trying to fuck with me.

I tried Amber's suggestion of using a light below me but it didn't do much. Sometimes I'm at a loss with the lighting in my room.

Lighting is 3 dimensional.

Think of it this way:

photo
graph

What does that mean?

"light wrighting". Write with light.

You need good light source(s) and a good capture of that light. That translates to good lighting and good camera lens.

Ms. Rosemary, if you can PM me your MFC (assumption) model name, I can make it a point to provide constructive, respectful criticism. The models and members here that know me can attest to my demeanor. You can also MFC email me at the same username as here.

I use Manycam and then play with my lamps/the color adjustments in the program until everything looks good. I always fuck around while looking at my manycam preview BEFORE getting online. Although, sometimes things go weird on me and i need to slightly adjust things while on cam. I don't really think lighting needs to be so complicated. Just move lamps around until it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.