AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

It's not pop, it's ^#$%@$! soda

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckySmiles

Cam Model
Sep 24, 2012
Inspired by recent posts and the tragedy that is my daily life as an out of towner...

Here's a fun quiz! This has been around awhile but is fun and spot on for me: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

who the eff says Lookie Lou? Seek mental counseling...

I just retook it to see if I've changed, But my results are frighteningly specific/accurate to where I grew up.

Last edited:
Same here. Right on the mark...and what I found interesting, the geographical influence showed more about where my mother grew up, than where I actually grew up and live now, but both locations were concentrated.

Mine says I am closest to the very southern tip of Florida!!!

Also up here in Canada everyone says pop, but I usually say soda.

I've only heard Lookie Lou in the context of like, "let's go to the store and have a lookie lou". But I hate it too, lol.

Inspired by recent posts and the tragedy that is my daily life as an out of towner...

Here's a fun quiz! This has been around awhile but is fun and spot on for me: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

who the eff says Lookie Lou? Seek mental counseling...

I just retook it to see if I've changed, But my results are frighteningly specific/accurate to where I grew up.
Lookyloos would be the people who congregate near a recent accident or other event, nosy people.
Same here. Right on the mark...and what I found interesting, the geographical influence showed more about where my mother grew up, than where I actually grew up and live now, but both locations were concentrated.
Makes sense because you're likely to grow up using some of the verbiage your parents are used to.

Lookyloos would be the people who congregate near a recent accident or other event, nosy people.

they bring it up in terms of traffic, thats just rubbernecking!

some of the questions are hard and I want to pick two. Like for roads... I'd call a major interstate a highway, but the two laned windy as fuck things that seem to have been carved for horses, and full of traffic are the major parkways.

Also I've noticed the questions are not the same for everyone/everytime you take it

Reactions: SoTxBob and Gen
they bring it up in terms of traffic, thats just rubbernecking!

some of the questions are hard and I want to pick two. Like for roads... I'd call a major interstate a highway, but the two laned windy as fuck things that seem to have been carved for horses, and full of traffic are the major parkways.

Also I've noticed the questions are not the same for everyone/everytime you take it
Yeah I didn't get a lookie Lou question. And yes rubbernecking is different!

Reactions: LuckySmiles
Mine was spot on. That's pretty cool actually :) I'm pretty sure half the things I responded with the option that we don't have a term for that.

I have heard people say lookie lou but usually when like window shopping. "Let's go in this store and take a lookie lou". It makes me want to stab myself in the ears.

Reactions: LuckySmiles and Gen
My entire map was orange except for maine and maryland area which was blue. Hahah.

To me a lookie lou is someone nosy. Like a nosy neighbor who is always watching the others. Mrs Kravitz from Bewitched basically.

• Funny!
Reactions: LuckySmiles and Gen
Also up here in Canada everyone says pop, but I usually say soda.

Here in Quebec, English-speakers usually say "soft drink" because it's the closest English equivalent of the French term "liqueur douce". Our English is influenced by the French around us, and our French is influenced by the English around us.

Here in Quebec, English-speakers usually say "soft drink" because it's the closest English equivalent of the French term "liqueur douce". Our English is influenced by the French around us, and our French is influenced by the English around us.

Oh you Quebecois! Actually I have heard soft drink used here too! It's kind of cute. I like the sound of it.

I remember taking this quiz a couple years ago. Unless they were using IP location tagging, the quiz was pretty accurate considering there's a large block in my region which is fairly similar.

In terms of vernacular, it fascinates me that many people from Wisconsin call drinking/water fountains, "bubblers." I guess that has to do with Wisconsin based plumbing giant Kohler and their original trade name for the devices.

"Soft drink" is not uncommon in southern California. It's pretty standard on menus, but less common in speech. Soda currently seems to be the winner in casual use, but not as strongly as in some places. Some old people say "soda pop" (although that's mostly disappeared, as mostly it's the over 85 crowd that says it) but almost nobody says just "pop" unless they're from somewhere else (typically the midwest or northwest). I don't think most people really care what term is used. All you really have to do to fit in in Los Angeles it to put the word "the" before freeway numbers.

All you really have to do to fit in in Los Angeles it to put the word "the" before freeway numbers.
It really sounds weird to me and doesn't really make sense when people DON'T use "the" for freeways or highways.

Take 405 to 5 to 14

Just doesn't sound as correct as Take the 405 to the 5 to the 14.

Here in Washington it's the same. Maybe it's a West Coast thing in general, or maybe we are the majority and only a select few zones remove "the"?

Mine was stupid accurate, blocking off Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. No shockers here, I am a transplant from Charleston, SC. I live in a big metro area now, though, and have gotten used to adding "the" in front of highways too. I agree, it just sounds better.

Also, I use a VPN that puts me on the West Coast, so I am going to guess that IP location isn't necessarily a factor.

Oh yeah East coast/midwest lady, have never used this "the" you speak of with the highways.

In NY so many of them have names though and most people just go by the name. 87 for example, everyone calls the deegan or the thruway (it's official name is the Major Deegan Expressway within NYC and the NYS Thruway north of the city) So you'd substitute 87 for the name. But calling it by name you would use "the"... I'm confused haha.

Ok Yeah you would never say "the" first around any of these here parts hah. It sounds weird to me. You would say take 80 to 95, or take 95 to 87, or take 95 to the deegan(same highway as 87). haha SO MANY RULES.

/me realizes I forgot the 118! Ain't nobody getting to the 14 from the 5 directly. Hehe been out of LA less than 2 years and already forgetting how to get around!

• Funny!
Reactions: Gen
It really sounds weird to me and doesn't really make sense when people DON'T use "the" for freeways or highways.

Take 405 to 5 to 14

Here in Washington it's the same. Maybe it's a West Coast thing in general, or maybe we are the majority and only a select few zones remove "the"?

Here we would say take US-23 to I-75, saying "the" just sounds weird lol. It's amazing how different parts of our country use vastly different ways to speak :D

It's amazing how different parts of our country use vastly different ways to speak
Yep, and it's a hoot to make fun of each other for it!

Take 405 to 5 to 14

I have a lot of friends in WA who hate it (and it drove them nuts while they were in college in CA). So it's not universal there. But yeah, I've heard it some in Seattle.

It's also common in parts of OR, but not in most of northern CA. Go figure. But I think we'll convert them all eventually.

Reactions: AmberCutie
Oh! oh! I just had something else pointed out to me... If you say take the 7 into Manhattan everyone knows you're talking about the subway. So an extra "the" used in terms of buses and train #'s. No "the" for road numbers. Also with times for trains and buses. Try to Take the 5:05 home from work.
:D

• Helpful!
Reactions: Gen and AmberCutie
Lmao so the Californians skit from Snl is true?!??
Well, once upon a time when I had a crappy commute I took the 210 to the 605 to the 60 to the 10 to the 405 to the 90. Later, when I had reason to be commuting the opposite way I took the 105 to the 605 to the 210, which was much better. (Well, sometimes I took the 105 to the 605 to the 60 to the 57 to the 210, if the 605 was backed up for some reason.)

• Funny!
Reactions: ThePrincessLuxy
growing up in Monterey CA. soft drink was a general term soda was seltzer water a coke was in a red can. and pop were rocks. using then was for roads like the ! was the PCH. for buses we uses route and the number.

Status
Not open for further replies.