AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

It's not pop, it's ^#$%@$! soda

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Florida and it says I'm from California but I guess maybe that's why a lot of people ask if I'm from Cali? I'm a bit of cheater though in that I had to have speech classes and that changed the way I pronounce things quite a bit in comparison to my family.

to the 405 to the 90
Then maybe to the 1, because the 90 ends at it! Hehe. (I never called it that, though, it was just Lincoln Blvd)

By the way, very hellish commute! I do not miss those freeways at all.

Where I'm from, we will call Interstate highways I-(number). If the US or state highway has more than one syllable, it gets referenced solely by number (e.g., we took 30 to this town). Single syllable, then we will call it Highway 2, or whatever.

Then maybe to the 1, because the 90 ends at it! Hehe. (I never called it that, though, it was just Lincoln Blvd)

Nope, from the 90 I took Mindanao to Admiralty. But yeah, CA-1 is never "the 1" … it's always either “the Pacific Coast Highway” or just “the Coast Highway” or whatever the local street name is. (I'd definitely alway say “Lincoln” for the part going through Marina del Rey.)

By the way, very hellish commute! I do not miss those freeways at all.

It was only for a few months. For the past 10 years I've just taken the 210 in the opposite direction from traffic. I can usually go 70-80 MPH. :)

Oh and sorry everyone about hijacking the thread. We Angelenos can't help but talk this way about the routes we drive. The SNL skit is pretty accurate. (Aside from the ridiculous fake accents.)

Reactions: AmberCutie
I grew up in Florida and it says I'm from California but I guess maybe that's why a lot of people ask if I'm from Cali? I'm a bit of cheater though in that I had to have speech classes and that changed the way I pronounce things quite a bit in comparison to my family.

I did the same thing! I grew up in Kentucky, around a bunch of backwoods rednecks who think "I seen that the other day" is a perfectly correct sentence. So I decided to change the way I spoke. Even as a child in elementary school, I knew that the people around me (including my family, despite my love for them) were ignorant. For example, my family has always said "wush" instead of "wash." That's the first word that I realized made me sound like an idiot. So I trained myself to say it correctly. And ever since, I have an internal struggle to pronounce things correctly versus how I've said them my whole life.

I did the same thing! I grew up in Kentucky, around a bunch of backwoods rednecks who think "I seen that the other day" is a perfectly correct sentence. So I decided to change the way I spoke. Even as a child in elementary school, I knew that the people around me (including my family, despite my love for them) were ignorant. For example, my family has always said "wush" instead of "wash." That's the first word that I realized made me sound like an idiot. So I trained myself to say it correctly. And ever since, I have an internal struggle to pronounce things correctly versus how I've said them my whole life.

That brings up another one, is pronouncing wash "warsh" common anywhere else? It's pretty common around here

another one that drives me batty... adding extra "s" to things...
"Are you gonna stop and get some pop at walmart's?"
"maybe after I stop at Ford's to check me out a new f-150"

STOP THE INSANITY :D
*clicks heels three times*

Yeah, I'm guessing that "warsh" is more "country/rural" than region. Same with "ketch" vs "catch."

A close relative of mine will use a hard A or whatever you call it in a lot of words, or replace vowels in words with A. The one that really bugs me is potato. They like to pretend there's an A at the end of potato. So, it's potatA and potatAs. Maybe it's because I grew up during the Dan Quayle era, but it drives me batty.

Reactions: Nordling
A close relative of mine will use a hard A or whatever you call it in a lot of words, or replace vowels in words with A. The one that really bugs me is potato. They like to pretend there's an A at the end of potato. So, it's potatA and potatAs. Maybe it's because I grew up during the Dan Quayle era, but it drives me batty.
Wait. Potatays or potatuhs? Maybe it's a short u sound.
Long a as in name. Short a as in sand.
I can't imagine either of those at the end of potato lol.

By the way, puhtatuhs is a common word from my stepdad. He's from Nebraska. There's also warsh and oinge (orange).

Wait. Potatays or potatuhs? Maybe it's a short u sound.
Long a as in name. Short a as in sand.
I can't imagine either of those at the end of potato lol.

By the way, puhtatuhs is a common word from my stepdad. He's from Nebraska. There's also warsh and oinge (orange).

Your stepdad's pronunciation sounds more accurate. This relative is from Eastern Nebraska and that side of the family has roots in Western Iowa. She pronounces wash "warsh" too.

That brings up another one, is pronouncing wash "warsh" common anywhere else? It's pretty common around here

We do our warsh and say crick instead of creek, because Iowa.

And we take I-235 to I-80, and "the" is for the bus numbers: take the 3 downtown, then transfer to the 7.

Reactions: ArtsyAmelia
Apparently my accent is from Colorado, Missouri and Illinois. I've barely been to any of these states *shrug Guess I'm just a classic Mid-Westerner.

I think I've heard some of my native people saying "potaytuhs" too... but I think as NY'ers it might be a form of hillbilly mockery...or maybe to rhyme with rutabagas...
I... actually.. no I think I pronounce them both the same. dammit. Rutabagas and potatoes feel the same way coming out of my mouth.

I think I go both ways(puntastic over here.) I say potaTOE wedges, but also eat mashed potaytahs.

(also I can't tell the difference between potaytuh and potaytah I'm saying these both the same)

Im not orginally from but now in the south and they call anything make with the potatoes .....TATERS!lol

Reactions: TacoBelle
I've lived in a few places over my life, so there are definitely answers here that sound super familiar, but are things that I'd consciously or semi-consciously avoid out here in CA for ease of understanding.

Still, even carefully avoiding everything I know to be a regionalism, it highlighted the city I lived near from age 0-5 as well as the one I spent most of age 6-18. My current area shows as a dark red, but doesn't get a labelled callout.

The biggest surprise to me was "sneakers". I had no idea that was a northeast thing. What do the rest of you guys call rubber-soled athletic shoes?

I've lived in a few places over my life, so there are definitely answers here that sound super familiar, but are things that I'd consciously or semi-consciously avoid out here in CA for ease of understanding.

Still, even carefully avoiding everything I know to be a regionalism, it highlighted the city I lived near from age 0-5 as well as the one I spent most of age 6-18. My current area shows as a dark red, but doesn't get a labelled callout.

The biggest surprise to me was "sneakers". I had no idea that was a northeast thing. What do the rest of you guys call rubber-soled athletic shoes?

Tennis shoes

Reactions: Always_Tim
Apparently my words are from Boston, which is funny considering I am not an american and english isn't my native language.

Since I learned english mostly by watching movies and tv shows I always thought I would probably use words from California or NYC. Makes sense since most shows and movies are produced there. But now I think there could possibly be an idealization of Boston words which would explain why they use them and how I picked them up?

• Funny!
Reactions: LuckySmiles
@supermila that's interesting! There are flaws in the quiz. It could be that there are 2 or 3 choices you've picked up that are distinctly boston and if other choices you make are all over the map, that's it's best guess.

(I am refusing to accept an America that idealizes Bostonians heheh. go Yankees)

According to the quiz, I'm from Phoenix. Which my grandma is, so that makes a little sense. Though the general west coast, southwest, and northeast are reddest. I somehow don't talk like an Iowan.

Here's a fun quiz! This has been around awhile but is fun and spot on for me: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

Christ, this has just made things worse... Americans really are illiterate :D :p

Most of my answers were universally blue across the entirety of America. I am most like New York apparently - but that can only be based on a few answers. Was rather hoping it'd say "You're not American, are you?" :D

As for "sneakers" - it's Trainers; however, if you're at school and this is a thin, rubber bottomed canvas shoe which most young children wear during inside activities, then plimsolls. But that wasn't even on the list! WHAT?!

Last edited:
Reactions: LuckySmiles
rubber bottomed canvas shoe which most young children wear during inside activities, then plimsolls. But that wasn't even on the list! WHAT?!
Hah, I had never heard that before. I imagine it wasn't on the list because it's likely only a British thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.