AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Lady Suing Jelly Belly Because She Didn't Know Jelly Bean's Had Sugar?! WTF.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not entirely without merit IMO,
Jelly Belly’s Sport Beans, a product marketed as an exercise supplement containing carbohydrates, electrolytes and vitamins, which lists "evaporated cane juice" on the label instead of citing sugar as an ingredient.

The ingredients section is where folks go to find out if the product is safe or appropriate for their allergies, sensitivities and needs, and not really the right place to play cute with obscure descriptions of ingredients that have common accepted names like "cane sugar".

Jelly Belly are of course not the only folks that play games to make things seem healthier than they are.

• Helpful!
Reactions: n_i_c_u and Gen
Not entirely without merit IMO,

The ingredients section is where folks go to find out if the product is safe or appropriate for their allergies, sensitivities and needs, and not really the right place to play cute with obscure descriptions of ingredients that have common accepted names like "cane sugar".

Jelly Belly are of course not the only folks that play games to make things seem healthier than they are.

Considering the level of labeling they have on their actual "sugar free" packages I can't believe this could be misunderstood.

I think she actually has a case.

It wasn't just a bag of Jelly Belly's. It was a specially labeled package designed to convince people it was a sports product. And "the FDA has warned that use of the term "evaporated cane juice" is misleading because it does not reflect the "common name" of the ingredient (i.e., sugar) and because evaporated cane juice is not juice."

They also had packaging claiming it is energizing and contains carbs, electrolytes, and vitamins to specifically market it to athletes as a performance aid. It's nothing but a gob of sugar.

They chose to use a misleading ingredient term, and misleading packaging, and they got called on it. If she wins she's asking for damages for all people who bought it within the past 4 years. So, I think the lawyers are going to get rich off this one!

This is the actual court case as filed if anyone wants to read the source material.

U.S. District Court for the Central District of California Case number 5:17-cv-00575-CAS-FFM
https://www.truthinadvertising.org/...-Candy-Co-notice-of-removal-and-complaint.pdf

Yeah, I think they did purposely make their packaging and list of ingredients to deceive people. She's got a rather strong case on this one.

Jelly Belly’s Sport Beans, a product marketed as an exercise supplement containing carbohydrates

But.... Carbohydrates are: sugars and fiber. What else would you think it was? Read the nutrition label, is there a percentage of sugar? It has sugar! Holy DICK!

• Funny!
Reactions: Sneeqie and weirdbr
But.... Carbohydrates are: sugars and fiber. What else would you think it was? Read the nutrition label, is there a percentage of sugar? It has sugar! Holy DICK!

Many people tend to just look at the ingredients. In this case it appears Jelly Belly has already changed the labeling now.

The original labeling with the 'evaporated cane juice' wording. It does say sugar amount up above. But the way they bold certain things makes the sugar a lot less noticeable there too.

sport-beans-lime_package-back.jpg

The current nutrition info directly from their site.
http://www.sportbeans.com/products/assorted_sport_beans.aspx
chrome_2017-05-25_19-08-55.png

I think its an epic reach. People are stupid man....

I feel like in this day and time common sense (which isn't super common) says that we all are aware of companies producing food and drink and disguising sugar names in the ingredients with its over 200 different names for it that basically all boil down to ... SUGAH.

Also, if you couldn't take the time out to read the nutrition facts where it states on one of the examples that there is 17g of sugar/serving and 19g of sugar/serving on the other....is that realllllly Jelly Belly's fault?

Seconding the sentiment also that @SaffronBurke mentioned. Carbohydrates break down into what now? Can we up the volume for those in the back? SUGAH.

While I understand the concept that the cane juice shit is also could be seen as misleading...what do yall suspect the full name is? oh thats right.... SUGAR CANE. Do you know what they express out of it? cane juice. What is almost all juice chock full of? SUGAH.

I'm sure this will be an epic shitstorm of a case, but its really annoying to me.

I think this is just a case of stupidity.

People sue over anything these days tbh.

Like the dude suing for like $17 because the girl was texting during the movie. Motherfucker, you know it's going to cost you more than that to even sue right? Petty.

I'm cool with the lawsuit only because I want more regulations on ingredients. I know that with something like Jelly Belly one shouldn't expect much in terms of nutrition or what comes from what and where. I guess everyone doesn't know that "Cane Juice" isn't sugar. I think most people should know that anything cane is sugar, but, America really doesn't always know stuff.

It's kind of like the whole "natural" thing on other packaging which bothers me a bit: what isn't natural? Natural how? I'm actually surprised they didn't label it "Natural Evaporated Cane Juice."

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2012 - FDA issued a guidance three years ago suggesting that manufacturers shouldn't use the term evaporated cane juice to describe sweeteners made from sugar cane syrup because the term hides the fact that ultimately it's sugar.

Although I think the lawsuit may be bogus and greedy... they need to pay a price for deceptive labeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.