AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

MFC Super Crash

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it was very strange today.. the menu is no working the start a new PM is not working.. the chat was blank OR when I tried to chat it did nothing. i refreshed 7 times and everything worked.

I saw that going on and didn't even bother to log on. My shows are primarily based on groups and privates, and when the site is being hanky premiums are wary about committing to those types of shows (I don't blame them, if they're in group/private when it crashes or hiccups their tokens get sucked into space and they have to appeal to admin to get them back)
Crashes make premiums nervous, make models nervous, and generally suck the sexiness out of the whole scenario.

tightlockup said:
I've been telling you guys, MFC needs to upgrade and expand their infrastructure. In a hurry.

I suspect the problems run deeper.

You start out with a nice clean sheet of paper, and you draw out an architectural diagram of your system.

You implement it, and it scales well for a year or so.
Then you have to pile hacks and disproportionate amounts of hardware on, as traffic grows, as the architecture is wrong.

Traffic grows further, and you have hacks piled on top of hacks to keep it from all falling down, which causes further unpredictibilities and instability.

You're basically better off at this point starting off with a fresh sheet of paper, and designing and implementing a new system.

But - quite often if the people who designed the original system are still around, they are reluctant to let people tear it all out, when they think that with just a few more tweaks, it'll be OK.

MFC needs to use dedicated servers for each application of its site.
Right now, they are on a shared server - Everything uses one server, even used for Admin's personal browsing.

I used a spider program one day, which is legal, and found that Admin uses the same server that MFC is on to store all their personal things also; as a personal computer.

Leo won't upgrade for many reasons.

Dedicated servers cost money and with thousands of models running video and some members running video, then you have the chat, then photos, then profiles (which some are running videos and music), member's profiles (video and photos) and all the animated emoticons - All this pulls a load of resources, especially on a shared server. Everything should be separated. Videos on one, chat on a different server, etc. He would need at least 6 servers at $12,000 each. Then you have to make sure the servers are loaded with the proper software that makes MFC compatible on the server (ie, AJAX, Flash, Cube, etc.) and that costs money. If the software and MFC not loaded in proper order, then MFC will not work.

The transfer from old server to new server means a "down time" and Leo and models lose money when down. Leo only cares about money. And if the new servers failed, then longer down time.

Leo thinks "if it works okay now, why change?"... But it is not working.

As an IT Analyst, Cisco and Microsoft certified, I can promise that one day, as more models sign on and more members, MFC will crash hard. I know Leo backups the server - but if it crashes, he can only restore to the point of the last date of backup.

MFC is a great concept of a site, just needs to be managed better. Needs a MAJOR upgrade!
Hopefully, MFC 2.0 comes out soon... :lol:
But I know it will not happen.

I guess it was meant to be that I worked a few hours during the day instead of Monday night.

i was doing a cooking show when this happened, i could still get pms but noone could chat in public. i thought it was funny they could still tip but not talk - i told them a model into witchcraft had one too maby stupid things written in her room and put a curse on them lol! Thought it was funny , even though i didnt make much but i never do during cooking shows , they like it but dont tip for it...

CamGirlsUnlimited said:
Right now, they are on a shared server - Everything uses one server, even used for Admin's personal browsing.

I used a spider program one day, which is legal, and found that Admin uses the same server that MFC is on to store all their personal things also; as a personal computer.

Leo won't upgrade for many reasons.

Dedicated servers cost money and with thousands of models running video and some members running video, then you have the chat, then photos, then profiles (which some are running videos and music), member's profiles (video and photos) and all the animated emoticons - All this pulls a load of resources, especially on a shared server. Everything should be separated. Videos on one, chat on a different server, etc. He would need at least 6 servers at $12,000 each. Then you have to make sure the servers are loaded with the proper software that makes MFC compatible on the server (ie, AJAX, Flash, Cube, etc.) and that costs money. If the software and MFC not loaded in proper order, then MFC will not work.

The transfer from old server to new server means a "down time" and Leo and models lose money when down. Leo only cares about money. And if the new servers failed, then longer down time.

Leo thinks "if it works okay now, why change?"... But it is not working.

As an IT Analyst, Cisco and Microsoft certified, I can promise that one day, as more models sign on and more members, MFC will crash hard. I know Leo backups the server - but if it crashes, he can only restore to the point of the last date of backup.

MFC is a great concept of a site, just needs to be managed better. Needs a MAJOR upgrade!
Hopefully, MFC 2.0 comes out soon... :lol:
But I know it will not happen.

o_O

What the fuck did i just read!? Seriously? You ran a "spider" and determined all of this? How about you stop talking out of your ass. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop.

FifthElephant said:
tightlockup said:
I've been telling you guys, MFC needs to upgrade and expand their infrastructure. In a hurry.

You start out with a nice clean sheet of paper, and you draw out an architectural diagram of your system.

You implement it, and it scales well for a year or so.
Then you have to pile hacks and disproportionate amounts of hardware on, as traffic grows, as the architecture is wrong.

Traffic grows further, and you have hacks piled on top of hacks to keep it from all falling down, which causes further unpredictibilities and instability.

You're basically better off at this point starting off with a fresh sheet of paper, and designing and implementing a new system.

But - quite often if the people who designed the original system are still around, they are reluctant to let people tear it all out, when they think that with just a few more tweaks, it'll be OK.

This is why you need to use subversion, bazaar or git or some such to maintain your code. Then you can see what you did and when, and it makes it easier to move to a new system.

I wonder about starting with something like Joomla or Drupal if you could build out a site like that and then develop the other stuff independently. Make it open source, perhaps you are building something like a webapp that allows people to see and choose many different cam streams, not necessarily camgirl streams.

hmmm

CamGirlsUnlimited said:
<snip>

Hahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahhaha.

You sir, are an asshat.
You're claiming that they are streaming video to 20-80K people, using a bandwidth of around 5 gigabytes/second, from one shared server?
That's not even incompetence.
A trivial investigation would reveal that there are around 30 chat-servers, and a couple of hundred video servers.

tightlockup said:
FifthElephant said:
tightlockup said:

<snip>

This is why you need to use subversion, bazaar or git or some such to maintain your code. Then you can see what you did and when, and it makes it easier to move to a new system.
It's in many ways often more a managerial problem.
The decision to walk away from a huge codebase that sort-of-works with a few K of maintainance now and then, and start with a nice clean sheet of paper, and a budget of $x00K for new code is not an easy one.

FifthElephant said:
CamGirlsUnlimited said:
<snip>

Hahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahhahahahahhaha.

You sir, are an asshat.
You're claiming that they are streaming video to 20-80K people, using a bandwidth of around 5 gigabytes/second, from one shared server?
That's not even incompetence.
A trivial investigation would reveal that there are around 30 chat-servers, and a couple of hundred video servers.

I was just about to mention something very similar, Fifth. When chat was broken, there was speculation that just a small number of the chat servers were able to talk while the rest could just watch so I ran netstat to see which server I was attached to. If I am not mistaken, the name of the server I was on at the time was chat21.myfreecams.com. I had 2 or 3 other connections that were MFC servers as well.

I have a feeling building ONE SERVER that could handle all of MFCs needs would be insanely costly IF even possible. I suspect it is more a case of MFC's code and software were designed to be optimal up to a certain size and they have now exceded that point. While resources have been added to key areas to keep everything afloat, the actual MFC site, Model Console, and other soft-resources have also just recieved patch jobs. It works but there are circumstances that just cause instability until you get a crash or admin intervention to remedy the problem.

Looks like certifications on the internets don't mean much when you're BSing your ass off. Also find it funny that CGU banned anyone who was signed up to the forum but didn't post from accessing their website. That's a cool policy. Do they teach you that when you get your MCSE or MCITP? Or maybe it was in the CCNA material as a method to help manage incoming requests to your network.

I'm not the guys biggest fan either, he needlessly picks fights with my friends and bashes on people ALL THE DAMN TIME, but there is no need for everybody on the site to write a novel about why he's an ass hat when he speaks. That just makes us look bad.

If you examine a given IP or DNS address there is no way of knowing exactly what you are looking at. Any of the info you get back could be spoofed. You may simply be hitting the public IP of a load balancer.

You can take existing codebases and upload them to a code repository at any time. I think it might help them diagnose their problems. For all we know they may already be doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.