AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

mobile feed

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2013
Midwest USA
Twitter Username
@pg2400
MFC Username
pg240
I found a discussion thread here about MFC's mobile feed when it was introduced but didn't see why most models use it but some don't. I'm assuming it's an option. Is there a primary reason that some models don't offer the mobile feed? Is it an equipment thing? Or just personal preference?

Reactions: Puffin
I'm pretty sure it was answered in the other thread: on the model's end, she has to select the High Definition video option in order to appear on the mobile feed.

Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 8.14.05 AM.png

So if her system/setup can't handle the HD option, she won't be on the mobile feed. Some models say that members complain about her feed being choppy or laggy if she uses HD, so they remain on normal/default.

I know one model says her audio get messed up every time she turns on HD/mobile feed. Not sure how recent'y she's tried it though.

MFC's wiki outlines some probs that members using the mobile feed encounter... It's still kinda sucky!

http://wiki.myfreecams.com/wiki/MyFreeCams_Mobile#Mobile_Feeds

Do the other major cam sites have a mobile version of their site? :smuggrin: I am inclined to say no, but I'm not positive. I sort of feel like no matter what MFC does, people will still complain that it isn't good enough.

I'm really impressed and happy that they detail things so well on that wiki page. Lets you know that they're aware of the delays and drawbacks and they prepare you for that going in. Sounds like the limitations are a bit out of their control at the moment, but I'm sure with improvements to iOS and other mobile operating systems they'll continue to update the mobile site.

I will always feel that the best and most immersive experience you can get on MFC or any cam site is to be on an actual computer but I appreciate that they have the mobile version of their site available for those who really want to get their fix when they're either on-the-go or don't have access to a computer.

Do the other major cam sites have a mobile version of their site? :smuggrin: I am inclined to say no, but I'm not positive. I sort of feel like no matter what MFC does, people will still complain that it isn't good enough.

cams.com does, but it kinda sucks dong

• Funny!
Reactions: AmberCutie

Yep, it sucks majorly! There's no guarantee that the sound will work, and for a lot of people it never does.

Streammate on mobile is also poop. A lot of people find that it only loads the top half of the frame, which is just ridiculous and means that in private, I can either be just a face, or just a pussy, cause there's just no way to have them both in frame for mobile viewers.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Puffin
Yeah, it's not perfect, but last year all I had to access the internet was a PS4, which has an incredibly bad browser, and I was just happy to be able to access MFC through the mobile site. The feed delay was horrendous and I couldn't go private, but I could at least log in every once in a while and drop a tip here and there. I did notice a couple of models on my friend's list didn't have a mobile feed, but the majority did.

These are the other major sites with mobile version:
  • Cams.com
  • ImLive
  • Flirt 4 Free
  • LiveJasmin
  • Webcams.com
  • XLoveCam (looks much better than their desktop version)
Naked.com has a different site for mobile where not even half of their models appear online.
Chaturbate loads the desktop version with HTML5 video.​

Chatting is hard on any mobile site. I just used it for the science.

Jasmin does too, via an an app you have to DL from their site directly
I tried Jasmin on iPad the other day. I didn't have to download any app. It worked as good as the desktop version, with video and audio working perfectly. The video feed was better than in most sites, almost like true HD. The same thing on iPhone. No app. Though the video feed was compressed a little too much.

Streammate on mobile is also poop. A lot of people find that it only loads the top half of the frame, which is just ridiculous and means that in private, I can either be just a face, or just a pussy, cause there's just no way to have them both in frame for mobile viewers.
This never happened to me. The first version was indeed bad. They seem to have improved it and now it works well. Video and audio. Only the video stream that seems to auto adjust to medium quality too often. But you can also get the same high quality you see on desktop.

On Cams.com the video fails to load too many times. But when it loads, it looks good and has audio too.

Sounds like the limitations are a bit out of their control at the moment, but I'm sure with improvements to iOS and other mobile operating systems they'll continue to update the mobile site.

It's not outside of their control to be honest - all major desktop and mobile browsers have supported the required technology for a couple years already; most sites with simple feature sets (such as MFC) could had migrated years ago, while more complex sites like Youtube were waiting on additional HTML5 features (mostly required to properly implement the ads).

What MFC needs to do now is roughly this:
- add support for HTML5 on the desktop site, initially allowing users to choose between it or the flash player. The majority of users won't notice that setting, but those interested in testing will be able to do so.
- Once stability has been confirmed, change the broadcaster to always create HTML5 video first and make it optional to create flash-quality video.
- at a later point, just remove completely generation of flash video since it's a waste of processing power.

And to be fair, MFC will have to do this sooner rather than later - Adobe doesn't want to believe that Flash will be killed, but all browser vendors are slowly making it harder for Flash to run since it's a gigantic pile of security flaws that can be easily replaced with better tools (primarily HTML5).

• Helpful!
Reactions: DuoShi and Puffin
And to be fair, MFC will have to do this sooner rather than later - Adobe doesn't want to believe that Flash will be killed, but all browser vendors are slowly making it harder for Flash to run since it's a gigantic pile of security flaws that can be easily replaced with better tools (primarily HTML5).

I was an early adopter of the very first iPhone and I've been hearing this since 2007. Still find myself using Photon way too much to watch flash video on mobile.

I was an early adopter of the very first iPhone and I've been hearing this since 2007. Still find myself using Photon way too much to watch flash video on mobile.

That's because Steve Jobs hated Flash (for the wrong reasons) back then and was very vocal about it, but then the features weren't in place in HTML5 to support the move. Now that HTML5 is good enough and Flash security vulnerabilities keep getting worse (for example, last wave of flaws included 3 discovered in a week), there's a push to get rid of it - both Chrome and Firefox as of two or three weeks ago disable Flash by default and force you to manually enable it *for each site*. Firefox later re-enabled it, but I believe Chrome is sticking with its approach which will lead users to complain to site developers who will either have to teach each user how to re-enable it or just redo their site to conform with today's reality.

Reactions: DuoShi and Puffin
The main problem I have with the MFC mobile site is the feed delay. Obviously using any site that requires text chat + video can be kind of cumbersome to get around in unless implemented perfectly, and MFC has a lot of UI options to fit on the mobile screen. But having a 30-40 second delay on the mobile feed is a complete dealbreaker for me. For me, that makes it an absolute last resort option (except it's good for offline tips). I'll only use the mobile site if I were at a convention and standing in front of the model on cam and wanted to peer in her room to see what everyone was talking about. Or if I was out and say, it was someone's birthday that I had to miss due to obligations and not being at a computer and wanted to tip (again, the delay would be really annoying).

Status
Not open for further replies.