AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Modding addiction.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zippypinhead

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jan 21, 2013
Cyberpunk 2077's latest update also dropped official modding support. Yesterday, a DRM-free version of Skyrim finally became available through GOG.com. Try as I might to fight it, these two recent occurrences are luring me back to what happens to be the deepest and most difficult game of them all: installing mods and getting them to work.

When Skyrim's latest version, the Anniversary Edition, came out last November, the update thoroughly broke my over-modded game, and that kinda broke me. So, I moved on from playing, even though there was a bunch of new added content to the game. Now that I can pretty much have infinite "clean installs" with this DRM-free version, I'm already perusing and downloading favorite mods -- again. It's a bit insane, really -- I don't even know how many instances of Skyrim I have installed on my computers at this point. Probably half a dozen. I tried fixing the absolute mess of the Steam version I had modded and which broke, and I think that's a lost cause. So, now comes the multi-day task of going through the mods I want, and reinstalling them on a clean version of the game.

And while I do this, I'm also thinking about doing it all over again with Fallout 4, too. Not to mention I got heavy into modded Minecraft over the last year, and even dabbled in modded Stardew Valley. It is an addiction. I want to play games "vanilla", but if I'm aware of mods, I'm going to eventually try them out, and it's very likely going to take more time to do than time spent actually playing the games.

So far, I've avoided the same fate with Cyberpunk, but official mod support means the modding scene is likely to really take off. These ambitious open-world games are perfect for modding, because there's always going to be potential unfulfilled, and people willing to work to add more and fill out the empty spots of such big settings. Fortunately, modding for Cyberpunk still seems a bit oblique at the moment, but I think in maybe a year's time, it could really become something. And in a year's time, I'm sure I'll have fallen into the trap, and modded, broken, and reinstalled the damn game a few times.

The cool thing about healthy modding scenes, though, is that they really make a game evergreen. I've been playing BethSoft rpgs and Minecraft for a decade or more because of all the options I have in front of me, and having all those options even help me appreciate the out-of-the-box experience of these games. Break enough games enough times, and it's just refreshing to boot up a clean copy.

Anyone else addicted to modding, or is this just a "me" thing?

I am way more into Stardew Valley mods than I wish I were. I love the cute scenery people make and cute furniture but I especially like the little machines that automate the crafts and things to make fishing easier (what the fuck is wrong with fishing in that game, btw? It's simply impossible without a mod).

I do think the game is very fun without any add ons but with all the things you can do, there's just no point in playing it without the mods anymore, so I'd say I'm a bit like you.

Back when Sims 3 was out I only played it if heavily modded because honestly the clothing, hair and furniture were just lame, but for The Sims 4 I don't feel the need anymore because there's so much added to the game.

I think it kinda only makes sense for me in these life sim type of games. The other ones I play are pretty much JRPGs so it doesn't really make sense to mod them (I'm pretty sure there isn't anything available anyway?).

Reactions: zippypinhead
I know some mods for games can really make a ton of improvements and make things a lot more fun as well in some cases.

Typically i'll play a game that I enjoy in it's original state and complete it, and if i'm really enjoying it then i'll look into all the cool nick knacks and customization options (mods if any), etc.

I very rarely mod though I got extremely into Fallout 4, Sims 3, and Mount & Blade mods for a while. It's been years though. I'm usually like @Coffeelounge - I prefer the game in its original state and then if I'm looking to keep playing after I've completed it once, then I'll mod it. But I have a short attention span so I rarely play games much once I've completed them. 😅

Kindred spirits! I'm glad I'm not alone. What kind of mods do y'all install?

lol I used to mod Doom 2 all these years ago. there was a text driven tool where you could mod the monsters and weapons. I changed the rocket launcher to rapid fire and set the weight of the monsters to zero. Great fun!

lol I used to mod Doom 2 all these years ago. there was a text driven tool where you could mod the monsters and weapons. I changed the rocket launcher to rapid fire and set the weight of the monsters to zero. Great fun!
Idk why but this reminded me of the Goldeneye game on N64… we used to do cheats that would make his head huge and it was so funny

Status
Not open for further replies.