AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Private Message (PM) Settings

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2011
This is MFC specific because it's the only site I use.

As a member, I have my PMs set to friends only. I set it that way a long time ago because I got tired of being PM'd by models I had stopped in once and dropped some tokens, then decided to part ways. And, personally, I'd rather chat in public for the most part unless it involves setting up a private or something personal.

I hate going to a room where the model is spending 80% of the time responding to PMs and occasionally checks the public chat to respond. That's why I would rather chat in public. But, anywell.

I was in a room tonight, trying to chat in public. She was pretty caught up in PMs, but I bided my time. In her topic, she had a token amount for PMs, I wasn't going to pay that (will be addressed later). Then she says "I added you as a friend" (not sure she knows how the PM settings work, but whatever). So, I'm like, OK, I'll add her. I tried to still add to the public chat, but she would only answer in PM. Then she PMs me, gotta, room is slow. Duh?

Which brings me to point number 2. Paying for PM privileges. I totally understand why models would charge for it. Don't want to be bogged down and only serious members would pay for it (theoretically).

I have never paid for it. Never will. 99.9% of what I want to say can be said in public. What cant, hey tip notes. And almost always, I get PM privileges without paying for it specifically. As members, what the hell needs to be said in PM that can't be said in public or conveyed via tip notes?

As members, what the hell needs to be said in PM that can't be said in public or conveyed via tip notes?

[CB perspective FWIW]
if I'm negotiating something or just talking private matters or just catching up with a mod, while they could tip note me if they're people with tokens, I could only speak a response to the whole room ... or PM them my reply. there's no way I can tipnote my reply to them. and if I'm going to PM my reply, why not let them PM theirs?

(I think on CB there is an app you can run that has a /whisper username function, but, well, you only get 1 bot and 3 apps ...you don't necessarily want to run an app just so you can privately message without using another tab. And it may even be worse to do that--if notifications and random comments and chat keep happening in the public window, you might lose track of some of the comments while doing your PM ones, then you're just doing extra scrolling and re-reading to make sure you missed nothing. At least if it gets hectic I can click on the PM tab and see a list of usernames with a number next to their names of how many replies I haven't seen of theirs yet, so I can always catch up ... imagine if all of that was just stacked up in public chat, I'd be much more likely to miss something said in public chat, especially if I'm prioritizing the tipping talkers over the grey talkers.

and if we apply the tip note idea, well, what differs from your perspective as another member?
suppose one guy tips me 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply, 1tk, I reply ... either I reply in PM because it's private, or I reply in public and you don't really know what I'm talking about. and 25 lines of 1tk tips (And possibly 25 auto-thanks notifications sweep anything you have to say out of sight).
and suppose second guy drops in like 'hey, good to see you', 25tks just because, and he starts PMing a catch up with me. How is the second guy worse for your experience than the first guy?

Last edited:
PM stress? I guess is your question?

I have PM on friends only also . I get the mass hi messages from models i have tipped. i like it .)

I type a lot in pm. we talk about secret stuff. mostly penguins fishing in hula skirts.. and er other sarcastic eventful things.

To be fair. the rooms I am in at 7 am eastern time USA are European. Where the first language is not English, and many models use only pm.

In most rooms I am the only premium, not repeating show bobs bb. or u are the best model on mfc.. ect ect... why would I want to talk about rating and admiring a models profile..?

topic over the years, in pm, include
learning english
learning russian
learning romanian
photoshop
art design
coffee makers, moving expenses
file sharing, games... plots to comic book stories I am working on.. ect ect.. there are plenty of personal topics that talking in pm is very useful to me.

i also have never "paid for pm" / but I tip to my daily budget )

I do not give camming advice, but I am not sure how talking only in public room would help a model struggling with english.

I leave my PMs open, but I've only had three models send me unwanted PMs. One I asked politely (I hope) not to message me as soon as I log in; one I answered honestly when she asked how I was, and she hasn't messaged me since; and one in whose room I never set virtual foot, and I ignored until she left me alone. If I had models constantly chasing after me, though, I might adopt a different policy.

I also have a weird thing where I only use my bookmark list, so my PMs are basically on or off, if I understand how the settings work correctly.

As for paying for PMs; I figure if a model doesn't give me the complimentary friend add, she probably doesn't want to be getting PMs from me, and that's just prime; however, if there were a model with whom I had a good rapport, and she had a strict policy on the friend adds, I would not be above tipping for the privilege.

Also, it may be just me, or part of the business, but gratitude expressed in a PM tends to feel more genuine to me, and less filtered through the camming persona than public shows of appreciation.

Last edited:
I have PMs open, there is always the ignore option for anyone making this option difficult. I have a total of around 4 or 5 models on ignore, so it generally isn't an issue.
I meet quite a lot of models, and not all make my friends list. I also tend to edit my friends list every so often removing those I added either because I spent on them in that moment but not since or after a first meeting where I couldn't spend on them I wanted another look. This leaves the door open to invite me back.

There are quite a few models who only speak in PM, they just won't respond in public. Personally I find it a bit odd but they seem to manage it alright.

As members, what the hell needs to be said in PM that can't be said in public or conveyed via tip notes?
For the most part I would agree, rarely is conversation so personal that it couldn't be taken public.

For the most part I would agree, rarely is conversation so personal that it couldn't be taken public.

One time I can recall is when a model sold access to a service and didn't want the name to get out.

Another is when a model asked for advice about a place I had been and didn't want it to get out that she was going there (she's had stalker issues).

But, yes, it is rare.

Reactions: Ambers Troll
I generally do tip notes (/tip -m 10 blah blah) instead of long pm stuff but I really do try to do public chat if it seems people are talking or not- I can talk and I don't necessarily need other guys in the room. I can and do pms, when I am responding to a question or comment by a model, but I always feel like I am not being all that productive in the room.

Sometimes I am the the only one in the room and maybe some guests or basics and I seem to almost annoy the model because I am typing in public chat and the model is typing away to someones that isn't me and she eventually gets around to seeing the public chat and what I said. I figure it is those pm viewers she is talking to. I'm not sure what I think about them; 'them' because I've never really done it before and I don't understand why a person wouldn't want, at the very least, be a member in the model's room to contribute to chat. That said, I have seen the model just disappear to a private based on talking to what I think is a pm viewer.

I just don't understand the pm viewing. Any positives to that? I guess it kinda forces the model in to one on one communication and maybe that is a thing?

I guess members would rather have any roleplays kept private, but yeah, other stuff can and probably should be talked in public chat.

Can I chime in from a model's perspective here?

For a long time I charged for PMing privileges, 199tkns/month and you can PM me anytime. Now the thing was that you didn't have to pay a flat fee of 199tkns, if you tipped me 199tkns over the course of a month even for other things I'd add you. I know that amount might seem a bit steep to some people for just PMing, but I was logged into MFC pretty much all day and would be talking to people in PMs constantly. I felt it was a fair trade and no one complained. I also was PMing mostly when I was off cam, when I was broadcasting it was only when it got quiet, was trying to schedule a private, or someone asking me about content. Basic stuff and I kept an eye on the main chat and wouldn't ignore it.

Now that I don't hang around MFC when I'm not broadcasting, I don't think it is fair to charge a rate for PMing since I can't hold up my end of the bargain and don't like to be PM heavy while on cam. I have open PMing now and it's great! I know a lot of girls would heavily disagree with me, but it works awesome for me and has led to new tippers and a lot of privates/custom vids sales. There are still rules though like if you are just talking me up without asking about purchasing something or a private I'll let you know you can talk freely in the chat or make small talk with me in tip notes. And I still live by my 199tkn rule for friend adds, and friends can PM me some small talk and stuff and it's okay because they are tippers.

At first I thought it would be extremely annoying, and I do get 20+ PMs in an average shift on cam from non-friends, but it's not so bad. If I don't like them or they're freeloading I just ignore it and move on. Plus some people are too shy to ask about certain fetishes or pricing for customs, etc. Having my PMs open makes them feel more comfortable coming to me about those things. And honestly, most of the ones that do come with direct questions end up taking me to private, buying my vids, or buying customs. It's worth the extra bit of hassle and makes my room a more comfortable place for everyone! :)

Reactions: Picnic
PM use is a completely different thing from settings, even though I am happy to chat in public I only tend to do that when I have a direct intent to spend. I find I don't require other member input to enjoy the model, so I only opt into a room when I am truly interested and ready to get involved. If I haven't decided or am only looking for a spending option PM is the only way a model will reach me.

I also tend to do any greetings with friends via PM, just an acknowledgement that I have noticed them on. Sometimes that leads organically to some chat, and from there perhaps a room visit. The message catch up is just easier, and either of us can wait to respond or just drop it when busy.
When spending on a model the first time I often like to anonymous tip from outside the room such as from the lounge (see the reaction), then drop an identified ninja tip (see the response). Often this will lead to some form of PM while I decide if I want to spend more.
The other place I tend to use PM is after a private experience, I think an audience can do without the wind down chat.

Add all of this together and I would spend most of my time in PM chat.

I guess the best thing about PM chat is that it can wait for a response, whereas a room has a chat flow from moment to moment: You respond in time or it moves on.

I had to turn PM's off primarily from being randomly pm'd by models and the occasional member. I eventually set it to friends only. However it has been humorously awkward a couple of times when one of my friends list models is camming with another model and I tip for something and they try to pm me.

I have not tipped to be on a friend list if I have favorites that charge for it I just assume I get added over time but I rarely ever actually use the pm system.

Most of the time if I have a question specifically for the model it comes up offline and I use MFC mail.

I made my PMs friends-only years ago. Too many PMs from random models. (And a little bit of harassment from members and of course most annoyingly the guys who want me to tip for their requests, shit like that.)

I do add most of the regulars in rooms i frequent often as friends. Or at least the ones who tip and have interesting things to say.

I try not to PM models much while they're on cam. I chat in public, if appropriate, or use hidden tip notes if not, especially if I'm not expecting a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.