AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Prometheus

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yah..... what a waste of cash.

Reactions: LacieLaPlante
I haven't seen it yet but am planning to. Friends have told me it's not as bad as Aliens vs Predators, but far from being as good as the original two--Alien and Aliens. Also, they said it was 10,000% better than Resurrection. lol

Just came back from seeing it. The one thing that pissed me off was that most of the scientists with PhDs were all,

"Ooooooh look! Things! Alien goo! Artifacts! Let me touch it with my sticky human hands and rub it in my eyeeeee."

If they answered the big-all question, then yeah, maybe worth it, but the whole thing felt like a big prequel to another film. It was basically just a hot bitch. Pretty to look at, doesn't end your night satisfactorily.

Saw it today. Loooooooved it! I like that it touched on the mystery of the space jockey the crew of the Nostromo finds in the first Alien movie and then just opened the door for all sorts of more questions. The main characters of David, Shaw, Vickers, and Weyland seemed to be the most developed. The rest were pretty much blah. Obviously they were setting the stage for sequels, so I hope they do some. Saw it in IMAX and it really looked awesome. Couldnt believe how immersive it was. There were lots of little easter eggs for fans of the first 2 Alien films, so I feel like I have to see it again to get everything.

HERE BE SPOILERS

I was so disappointed by it. I'm a huge Alien/Aliens fan and while I never expected it to be as good as those films, I still had high hopes for it. You let me down, Ridley. You let me down.

Sure, it looked beautiful (like, really, stunningly beautiful) and Michael Fassbender was awesome (Oscar nomination worthy, maybe) but everything else about it sucked balls.

The plot just didn't make sense. It was more concerned with quasi-religious allegories and metatextuality and allusions to intellectualism and extistentialism than it was with forming a coherent and cohesive narrative - in short, it tried to be smarter than it was and wound up looking remarkably dumb.

There were so many plot holes I wouldn't know where to start if I was to list them for prosperity - how did the "punk rock" geologist (haha he's a rocker and he studies rocks for a living olololol :?) get lost in a cave that was established as being essentually circular and not remotely labyrinthine (and this is to say nothing of the super advanced mapping and tracking equipment they were carrying)? how was Shaw able to run and jump around unhindered mere moments after having a caesarean? why was the machine she used for that caesarean not set up for females to begin with when it was in a female's quarters (Vickers')? why weren't the crew informed of Weyland's presence? was Weyland's plan really to seek out his "maker" in the hopes of being granted eternal life ('cos that's just stupid)? why were the crew only meeting for the first time when they were already in space? why did they agree to the mission not knowing what it was? why were the Engineers trying to kill that which they created (humankind)? why did the Engineer head explode? why didn't the crew bring an arsenal (or an army for that matter)? what killed the Engineers? how did the alien that Shaw birthed get so big so quick? why did the last Engineer go after Shaw instead of completing its mission? why did the "punk rock" geologist return as a super zombie? what were the actual properties of the black goo (besides being a lazy narrative device that could conveniently do anything the plot called for it to do)? why did about half the crew just disappear an hour or so in to the film with no further explanation of their whereabouts? - I could go on, but I'm becoming depressed (I really wanted to like this movie, yo).

The other major problem with it was the characters. They were so fucking stupid! The bit where the scientists (moments after running like bitches at the sight of the fossilised remains of an Engineer) played with the serpent alien like it was a cuddly puppy was utterly fucking moronic. As was the scene where the scientist removed his helmet for no apparent reason on an uncharted alien planet. As was Vicker's insistence on running in line with the ship as it was about to roll over her instead of simply stepping to the left or right to evade it. In addition to being stupid, the majority of the characters were paper-thin, lacking any depth whatsoever and completely defined by plot, rather than character. They didn't react to events like real people would, they did things because that's what the plot called for them to do (even if it meant them behaving like no person ever would).

The dialogue was pretty agonising at times too.

I also didn't care for the pacing. And nothing truly exciting happened. At all.

Okay, I think I'm done bitching.

Actually, ya know what? I thought the Engineers looked like something out of a computer game (and not in a good way).

Okay. Done.

:?

mynameisbob84 said:
HERE BE SPOILERS

I was so disappointed by it. I'm a huge Alien/Aliens fan and while I never expected it to be as good as those films, I still had high hopes for it. You let me down, Ridley. You let me down.

Sure, it looked beautiful (like, really, stunningly beautiful) and Michael Fassbender was awesome (Oscar nomination worthy, maybe) but everything else about it sucked balls.

The plot just didn't make sense. It was more concerned with quasi-religious allegories and metatextuality and allusions to intellectualism and extistentialism than it was with forming a coherent and cohesive narrative - in short, it tried to be smarter than it was and wound up looking remarkably dumb.

There were so many plot holes I wouldn't know where to start if I was to list them for prosperity - how did the "punk rock" geologist (haha he's a rocker and he studies rocks for a living olololol :?) get lost in a cave that was established as being essentually circular and not remotely labyrinthine (and this is to say nothing of the super advanced mapping and tracking equipment they were carrying)? how was Shaw able to run and jump around unhindered mere moments after having a caesarean? why was the machine she used for that caesarean not set up for females to begin with when it was in a female's quarters (Vickers')? why weren't the crew informed of Weyland's presence? was Weyland's plan really to seek out his "maker" in the hopes of being granted eternal life ('cos that's just stupid)? why were the crew only meeting for the first time when they were already in space? why did they agree to the mission not knowing what it was? why were the Engineers trying to kill that which they created (humankind)? why did the Engineer head explode? why didn't the crew bring an arsenal (or an army for that matter)? what killed the Engineers? how did the alien that Shaw birthed get so big so quick? why did the last Engineer go after Shaw instead of completing its mission? why did the "punk rock" geologist return as a super zombie? what were the actual properties of the black goo (besides being a lazy narrative device that could conveniently do anything the plot called for it to do)? why did about half the crew just disappear an hour or so in to the film with no further explanation of their whereabouts? - I could go on, but I'm becoming depressed (I really wanted to like this movie, yo).

The other major problem with it was the characters. They were so fucking stupid! The bit where the scientists (moments after running like bitches at the sight of the fossilised remains of an Engineer) played with the serpent alien like it was a cuddly puppy was utterly fucking moronic. As was the scene where the scientist removed his helmet for no apparent reason on an uncharted alien planet. As was Vicker's insistence on running in line with the ship as it was about to roll over her instead of simply stepping to the left or right to evade it. In addition to being stupid, the majority of the characters were paper-thin, lacking any depth whatsoever and completely defined by plot, rather than character. They didn't react to events like real people would, they did things because that's what the plot called for them to do (even if it meant them behaving like no person ever would).

The dialogue was pretty agonising at times too.

I also didn't care for the pacing. And nothing truly exciting happened. At all.

Okay, I think I'm done bitching.

Actually, ya know what? I thought the Engineers looked like something out of a computer game (and not in a good way).

Okay. Done.

:?

Thanks for saying pretty much how i felt about the movie (in a better way than i could). i saw the midnight screening in a packed theater full of excited people. When it ended, instead of applause, it was perfectly silent except for one guy who just said "Boooo." Although it looked cool, that pretty much summed it up for me. M is a big film buff and loved the Alien movies (okay, the first two) and was pretty disappointed. We were both really looking forward to this movie and it was so frustrating to watch the characters act like idiots within a plot that made little sense.

SophiaLocke said:
Thanks for saying pretty much how i felt about the movie (in a better way than i could). i saw the midnight screening in a packed theater full of excited people. When it ended, instead of applause, it was perfectly silent except for one guy who just said "Boooo." Although it looked cool, that pretty much summed it up for me. M is a big film buff and loved the Alien movies (okay, the first two) and was pretty disappointed. We were both really looking forward to this movie and it was so frustrating to watch the characters act like idiots within a plot that made little sense.

That's exactly how it was for me. I went to see it with a few friends and usually when we come out of a picture, we'll talk about it on the way back to the car park. Even if the film was bad. In fact, especially if the film was bad. But after this we barely spoke outside of all agreeing it was shit.

Having typed that, I am wary of the fact I might benefit from not treating films like srs bsns :?

mynameisbob84 said:
SophiaLocke said:

That's exactly how it was for me. I went to see it with a few friends and usually when we come out of a picture, we'll talk about it on the way back to the car park. Even if the film was bad. In fact, especially if the film was bad. But after this we barely spoke outside of all agreeing it was shit.

Having typed that, I am wary of the fact I might benefit from not treating films like srs bsns :?

You were the last straw, this movie has been put in the wait for TV list.

mynameisbob84 said:

Hmm. You call them plot holes, but here are the answers to some of your questions that I found in the film.

why was the machine she used for that caesarean not set up for females to begin with when it was in a female's quarters (Vickers')?

The autodoc machine was clearly intended for Weyland's use only. The man funded the expedition purely out of his own interest. He wanted to ensure he'd survive it. Even though Vickers (his daughter) is in charge of protecting that module of the ship, its not her quarters.

why weren't the crew informed of Weyland's presence? was Weyland's plan really to seek out his "maker" in the hopes of being granted eternal life ('cos that's just stupid)? why were the crew only meeting for the first time when they were already in space? why did they agree to the mission not knowing what it was?

The crew were all hired on a need to know basis. Clearly Weyland wasnt interested in sharing his plan with anyone else except David and Vickers. We're talking about a very rich and powerful man here. Obviously he's interested in finding some way of cheating death. I dont see how thats stupid at all. Most of the crew, while having some scientific background, didnt seem like strictly scientific types to me. They were quite obviously rogue-types and adventurers. After all, the geologist rigs up his suit to be a bong. What kind of scientist does that?

why didn't the crew bring an arsenal (or an army for that matter)?

This wasnt a mission of conquest. You remember the briefing scene, right? The team wasnt even supposed to attempt any type of contact with who or whatever they found. Seems like only David was supposed to do that. Then, going back to the types they hired for this venture, the crew did whatever they wanted, then all hell breaks loose.

how did the alien that Shaw birthed get so big so quick?

You've seen the other Alien flicks, right? Didn't they all have an accelerated growth rate? Why would this be any different?

what were the actual properties of the black goo (besides being a lazy narrative device that could conveniently do anything the plot called for it to do)?

I thought they did a good job explaining that the black goo was a weapon with mutagenic properties. When it came into contact with the worms in the cannister chamber, it turned them into the snake like creatures. When David slipped the black goo into Holloway's drink, it mutated his sperm and caused Shaw to become pregnant with a mutant sperm like creature. When the engineer in the opening sequence ingested the black goo, it began to break down his DNA, then when he fell into the water, it seeded Earth with life. That seemed to me to be support for the fact there are 2 different types of the black goo and engineers.

The opening sequence to me seemed to suggest a religious ceremony. Also, the engineer and his ship seemed different than the ones we see on the planet, which we know was a military installation. Obviously this movie was meant to spark questions about creation, evolution, and other matters of faith and religion. Otherwise why make mention of how the engineers seemed to have changed their mind about life on Earth 2000 years ago? What happened 2000 years ago? And why the Christ like imagery with the opening creation scene?

So yeah, I think this movie intended to raise questions and get people using their imagination. Just look at all the mythology created around the Alien franchise. This movie is just keeping up that same type of thing.

JoeEmGee said:
The autodoc machine was clearly intended for Weyland's use only. The man funded the expedition purely out of his own interest. He wanted to ensure he'd survive it. Even though Vickers (his daughter) is in charge of protecting that module of the ship, its not her quarters.

That makes some sense. But then again, Weyland's survival was dependent on the rest of his crew, which consisted of men AND women. Shaw was key to the whole expedition. Without her, there would be no mission, and without her, David's mission to create life (to what end I'm still not sure - religious iconography?) could not have happened. So it still makes little sense that the machine would only be equipped to operate on one sex, even if its owner/primary user belonged to that sex.

The crew were all hired on a need to know basis. Clearly Weyland wasnt interested in sharing his plan with anyone else except David and Vickers. We're talking about a very rich and powerful man here. Obviously he's interested in finding some way of cheating death. I dont see how thats stupid at all. Most of the crew, while having some scientific background, didnt seem like strictly scientific types to me. They were quite obviously rogue-types and adventurers. After all, the geologist rigs up his suit to be a bong. What kind of scientist does that?

"Plot hole" might not be the correct term here - but it's still shoddy writing and lends nothing positive to the film overall. While they may not have been typical scientists, they were still (in theory) intelligent people. It's unlikely that an intelligent person (let alone a whole team of them) would go to work with someone not knowing what they'll be doing, where they'll be doing it, how they'll be doing it, when they'll be doing it or why they'll be doing it. It also makes little sense that they wouldn't meet one another BEFORE setting off to space.

This wasnt a mission of conquest. You remember the briefing scene, right? The team wasnt even supposed to attempt any type of contact with who or whatever they found. Seems like only David was supposed to do that. Then, going back to the types they hired for this venture, the crew did whatever they wanted, then all hell breaks loose.

This was a 150 trillion dollar venture, exploring an unknown planet with unknown life on it. That they'd only bring a flamethrower with them (and I have to assume that the only reason that was used was to pay lip service to the legend of Prometheus [the Greek Titan, not the ship]) is, if not a plot hole, at the very least, hard to believe. Again, these were supposed to be intelligent people. These are not the actions of intelligent people.

You've seen the other Alien flicks, right? Didn't they all have an accelerated growth rate? Why would this be any different?

You raise a good point, sir. Though I will point out that this was not the same creature as in the previous Alien films and it grew much bigger in a much shorter space of time than in any of those films.

I thought they did a good job explaining that the black goo was a weapon with mutagenic properties. When it came into contact with the worms in the cannister chamber, it turned them into the snake like creatures. When David slipped the black goo into Holloway's drink, it mutated his sperm and caused Shaw to become pregnant with a mutant sperm like creature. When the engineer in the opening sequence ingested the black goo, it began to break down his DNA, then when he fell into the water, it seeded Earth with life. That seemed to me to be support for the fact there are 2 different types of the black goo and engineers.

But they never explained anything. In the opening scene, it helps create human life; then 2000 years later it causes a human to give birth to an alien, creates a giant serpent (religious iconography FTW!) and turns another human into a super zombie. By never explaining what it is and what it does, it just felt like they were making shit up as they went along.

"Um, we need an action beat here"
"Right, how about a zombie attack?"
"Sounds good, but let's give the zombie super strength"
"Right, right... but there's no zombies on this planet"
"Maybe that black goo stuff can create one!"

The opening sequence to me seemed to suggest a religious ceremony. Also, the engineer and his ship seemed different than the ones we see on the planet, which we know was a military installation. Obviously this movie was meant to spark questions about creation, evolution, and other matters of faith and religion. Otherwise why make mention of how the engineers seemed to have changed their mind about life on Earth 2000 years ago? What happened 2000 years ago? And why the Christ like imagery with the opening creation scene?

This is what I was referring to at the top of my previous post. The film got hung up on the big picture stuff with the religious overtones (were they really insinuating Jesus was an alien?) and all the Prometheus (Greek Titan) references and failed to frame those things in a coherent and cohesive story with believable characters with believable motives. It felt like they wanted to make this giant thinkpiece and forgot that in order to provoke thought, there first needs to be a story that works on a basic level. In my opinion, they didn't provide that, so the meta stuff winds up being a detriment as opposed to something that could actually enhance the film. Without all that stuff, they might have been able to concentrate on the basic story and the characters.

Reactions: lordmagellan
It was enjoyable and looked really nice but you can't think about it because all the plot holes and general nonsense become apparent. But given what Lindelof did with LOST it shouldn't be surprising that this is a mess as well. And the religious overtones just make it worse.

The nods to Alien are even more bizarre when you consider that it's not the same planet.

AshaSnow said:
The ridiculousness of this movie hurt. I mean seriously. How could Shaw run around so much after major surgery that cut all her ab muscles? Makes NO sense. The machine didn't even STERILIZE her.

Right?? Not only that but why did the scientists that she'd just escaped from not stop the machine before it could operate on her? They were about to put her into stasis before she escaped so they clearly had plans for her/her alien baby but once she escaped and ran into the next room, they just...what? forgot about her? got lost?

mynameisbob84 said:
AshaSnow said:
The ridiculousness of this movie hurt. I mean seriously. How could Shaw run around so much after major surgery that cut all her ab muscles? Makes NO sense. The machine didn't even STERILIZE her.

Right?? Not only that but why did the scientists that she'd just escaped from not stop the machine before it could operate on her? They were about to put her into stasis before she escaped so they clearly had plans for her/her alien baby but once she escaped and ran into the next room, they just...what? forgot about her? got lost?

It's not even that well-defined. David was the only one that knew about the alien, they were just following directions from him.

A couple of friends and I attempted to see it Friday in iMAX but something cam up and we had to leave so we got passes to come back. Which we did yesterday. As we were dealing with getting passes to tickets a guy come walking through the line saying "Don't see Prometheus" a couple times, no idea why or anything. After seeing it we figured it was some bible thumping religious a-hole, so that's how our movie going started lol. Also go there 30 mins before so we had perfect seats....middle of theater middle of the row...perfection.

iMAX never disappoints. I saw Avatar in the same theater, unbelievable.

Let me say 2 things, if you went in with expectations and the movie didn't live up to them that's on you. Leave your expectations at the door and STFU. Not saying that to anyone in particular, just in general.

Second, I liked Shaw as Swedish Lizbeth better...just putting that out there lol

I agree completely that they did things that no true scientist or reasonably intelligent person would. The helmet thing, messing with goo, and playing with life forms. The whole time I was thinking "Ummm who would do any of this stuff?"

Yeah the getting lost thing was dumb considering they had locators. Like the captain asking them where they were when on the 3D image of the place in front of him are their locator signals.

Vickers's chambers was the life pod, she just made it hers. The surgery thing was for Weyland. Why some of them didn't meet before? When you pay over 1 trillion $ for a trip and you're going along, its on a need to know basis on who is there and why. I never question why the very rich do the things they do...I just accept that its because they want to and continue on my way lol.

My friend and I both where sorta pointing left or right when they were running and it was like stupid x 10 to the 14th that when Shaw fell she rolled like maybe 10 - 15 feet and watched it come down on Vickers and then when it started to flop she ran in another straight line..lol. But that is in almost any movie where something is coming at people. The only movie I forgive that is Indiana Jones..Raiders....he's in a tube and the rock is going to seal him in so he HAS to out run it.

I liked David tho. altho if I were one of the people, I would have told him to stop opening doors FFS lol. And i want the Weyland shirt the captain had on when he was talking to Shaw after her surgery, that she could not only move but run just after lol.

The other questions you have about the "engineers" I think will be better answered on the video release where I hope we get a directors cut and commentary.

Even with its problems, I liked it. But yeesh could you leave a bigger opening for another series of movies? lol I mean c'mon Shaw having Ripley's same hair style/cut as Alien? :whistle:

I saw this, and I wanted to love it so badly! But I didn't, it just fell flat for me.

I agree that there are plenty of plot holes and stuff that just doesn't make sense.

Yes, these people were probably being paid a lot of money - but I sure wouldn't agree to get in a spaceship, be put in stasis for an undisclosed period of time and be shipped off to an unknown destination to finish a mission that I'm not told.
As for the "I don't question why the rich do what they do"... Um, you would, if they were doing it to you!

The black goo has no logic. While I don't believe it's the same stuff that the Engineer drinks in the opening scene, it still acts completely crazy. It puts tiny death worms in the guy's eye and makes his sperm impregnate a sterile woman with a giant space octopus (which then impregnates a big alien human with another alien that has no resemblance to the octopus OR the death worm). It makes another guy into a super-limber zombie (who would be great at yoga - that's a mean back bend!). It spontaneously bubbles out of the "containers" that were placed in a room that the Engineers tried to seek refuge in - why would they put bio-missiles on steroids in the room they were using to get AWAY from the bio-missiles on steroids?

Why did the old rich dude think that the Engineers could (or would) help him cheat death?? If I had created a species and made it mortal, I'd get pissed off if some pompous ass came to me saying he was so much better than everyone else (alive or dead) and that I should grant him eternal life - I probably would grant it to him and make him live out eternity through a punishment of my choice (perhaps make him invisible and non-solid, so he could never interact with the people he thought himself above again - and watch the world get on fine without him)...

If this planet was just a military base devoted 100% to creating and supplying the weapon to kill off the entire Earth - why did every ancient culture on Earth have the map to it's location? Not to mention the fact that a constellation of 5+ (I didn't count them) stars isn't the map to ONE sun!! -.-

I actually have to give the movie some slack on the "running after surgery" point. The fact is that this is set in the future, and we don't know what kind of medicine they have - their local anaesthetic is an orange spray and surgery is performed by a machine, they might very well have a drug that accelerates the healing process.

Religious BS just pissed me off...

I have to say that it felt like the whole movie was a big let down. By the end, I honestly didn't care anymore, Found myself thinking that I wouldn't really mind if they all died and the Engineer was allowed to bomb the earth with the death-goo...

Alice, I'm going to say something and I'm going to sound like a dick so I am sorry ahead of time. But have you watched any of the Alien movies? Because the Wetland corp just doesn't care. While I'll agree for us right now the idea of going to sleep, put on a space ship and flown to points unknown seems like a bad idea. These movies are not based in our time they are based in a time when space travel is like taking a vacation to some weird lil hole in the wall here on Earth not a big deal. As far as why would they do it? Everyone has a price. You do, I do, everyone does. Most just not sure what it is. Right now somewhere on this world someone is doing something so dumb that they could get killed at any moment for no other reason than, its their job.

The goo is a bit of a conundrum. I have no idea why they'd need more than 1 canister to kill any planet.

Clearly this movie was made to stir up controversy, make us have questions. What better to do that than religion? I mean besides politics lol.

Neudiin said:
Alice, I'm going to say something and I'm going to sound like a dick so I am sorry ahead of time. But have you watched any of the Alien movies? Because the Wetland corp just doesn't care. While I'll agree for us right now the idea of going to sleep, put on a space ship and flown to points unknown seems like a bad idea. These movies are not based in our time they are based in a time when space travel is like taking a vacation to some weird lil hole in the wall here on Earth not a big deal. As far as why would they do it? Everyone has a price. You do, I do, everyone does. Most just not sure what it is. Right now somewhere on this world someone is doing something so dumb that they could get killed at any moment for no other reason than, its their job.

The goo is a bit of a conundrum. I have no idea why they'd need more than 1 canister to kill any planet.

Clearly this movie was made to stir up controversy, make us have questions. What better to do that than religion? I mean besides politics lol.

No, I haven't seen the Alien movies. Partly because I'm a bit young for that, and partly because I've never been much for movies that are all about a big, scary monster and the way to kill it by destroying everything (which is the impression I've gotten of the Alien movies, as well as predator and films like that). I'm all for sci-fi, but it can be made so much deeper than that.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't get in a car, blindfolded and taken to an undisclosed destination either - and cars are pretty damn commonplace today. These guys are scientists with plenty of education and overall smarts, I don't think it's logical that they'd agree to this no matter the money. This movie is not set far enough in the future to remove that human instinct, I don't think so at least.

As for the religious stuff - it doesn't make me have questions about my existence. It just makes me take the movie less serious because they feel the need to bring it up. But then again, I'm atheist...

As far as the "why did the aliens decide to come kill us nao?" I think David and Shaw gave us a pretty pointed clue after Shaw's surgery, when they're in the car taking the old guy to see the alien.

Shaw and David talk, and Shaw asks what happens if the old guy dies. David says he would be free. Shaw says, "is that something you want?" And David says, "want isn't something I'm familiar with. That being said, don't all children want their parents dead?"

I think it would be a too-easy cop-out to turn around and say, "oh noes, we're too powerful and our creator fears us!" but currently it's the only clue in the movie that makes sense.

As far as the black goo doing stupid things, I think we've all agreed that it's supposed to be like a genetic mutator thing?

If we assume that the Alien 0 at the end of the film made a whole race of alien babies or whatever, they would have to use the engineer's technology to fly about and stuff, right? So they would have access to the goo. And being creatures of goo, perhaps the goo lasts around for a while and makes them grow more quickly for a few generations before it wears off. On human people, the effects of the goo have already worn off. So when Shaw gets her boyfriend's alien baby sperm, it's just ripe with goo, and that might explain why the squid grew so quickly.

AliceDoe said:
No, I haven't seen the Alien movies. Partly because I'm a bit young for that, and partly because I've never been much for movies that are all about a big, scary monster and the way to kill it by destroying everything (which is the impression I've gotten of the Alien movies, as well as predator and films like that). I'm all for sci-fi, but it can be made so much deeper than that.
A bit to young? to watch DVDs? lol kidding But that splains somethings. Altho the ship landed differently in Prometheus than it showed in Alien, lets assume that is the ship they find in Alien. Alien - Weyland knew what was on that planet and sent a mining ship to look at a "distress beacon". When the guy was infected Weyland instructed the "robot" they had to preserve the life form at all costs, that included the crew. Aliens - they sent a terraforming colony to the same planet and when they lost contact with them sent marines in after them, again not to really save people but get the creature that they figured could be a weapon. Alien 3 - Ripley lands on a prison planet, I forget how a face hugger got to the planet and infected a dog, Ripley was infected when she was put in stasis from Aliens and once Weyland learns this they send a bunch of people to get the weapon. Alien Resurrection - they stopped fucking around and directly started cloning Ripley so they can get the fucking weapon. So I conclude that Weyland is like most corps and don't give a fuck about humans just about profits.

AliceDoe said:
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't get in a car, blindfolded and taken to an undisclosed destination either - and cars are pretty damn commonplace today. These guys are scientists with plenty of education and overall smarts, I don't think it's logical that they'd agree to this no matter the money. This movie is not set far enough in the future to remove that human instinct, I don't think so at least.
I never said you'd get in a car and do that. I said people do dangerous things in very dangerous places for a paycheck. At the start of the movie it said the crew was 17, I am assuming crew = all people on the ship. Of those 17 I count only 5 "scientist" (I am horrible with names lol) - Shaw, the guy that fucked her, the other woman that wasn't Vickers, the rock guy and the guy that got deepthroated by a giant worm. Weyland, Vickers and David were there for their own reasons. That leaves 9 ship crew whose job was to make the ship go where their boss(es) said it needed to go( ie their jobs) And the scientist on the trip were hell bent on finding answers. Hell one of them rather than go home(to saftey) went looking for that same answers when she knew the people she'd get them from wanted her and her planet dead.

AliceDoe said:
As for the religious stuff - it doesn't make me have questions about my existence. It just makes me take the movie less serious because they feel the need to bring it up. But then again, I'm atheist...
As am I but seeings how atheists are in the minority in this world I wasn't really referring to us(even tho I said us..didn't mean atheists) when I said "raise questions." But more to stir up the religious nut jobs out there. No better way to get people to go see a movie than to have the nut jobs say not to =)

Neudiin said:
AliceDoe said:
A bit to young? to watch DVDs? lol kidding But that splains somethings. Altho the ship landed differently in Prometheus than it showed in Alien, lets assume that is the ship they find in Alien. Alien - Weyland knew what was on that planet and sent a mining ship to look at a "distress beacon". When the guy was infected Weyland instructed the "robot" they had to preserve the life form at all costs, that included the crew. Aliens - they sent a terraforming colony to the same planet and when they lost contact with them sent marines in after them, again not to really save people but get the creature that they figured could be a weapon. Alien 3 - Ripley lands on a prison planet, I forget how a face hugger got to the planet and infected a dog, Ripley was infected when she was put in stasis from Aliens and once Weyland learns this they send a bunch of people to get the weapon. Alien Resurrection - they stopped fucking around and directly started cloning Ripley so they can get the fucking weapon. So I conclude that Weyland is like most corps and don't give a fuck about humans just about profits.

Weyland is a heartless bastard - got it! I never argued that he wasn't (in fact, I do recall calling him a pompous ass)...

Neudiin said:
AliceDoe said:
I never said you'd get in a car and do that. I said people do dangerous things in very dangerous places for a paycheck. At the start of the movie it said the crew was 17, I am assuming crew = all people on the ship. Of those 17 I count only 5 "scientist" (I am horrible with names lol) - Shaw, the guy that fucked her, the other woman that wasn't Vickers, the rock guy and the guy that got deepthroated by a giant worm. Weyland, Vickers and David were there for their own reasons. That leaves 9 ship crew whose job was to make the ship go where their boss(es) said it needed to go( ie their jobs) And the scientist on the trip were hell bent on finding answers. Hell one of them rather than go home(to saftey) went looking for that same answers when she knew the people she'd get them from wanted her and her planet dead.

Which means we've got 3 people who know the whole story about the mission - Weyland, Vickers and David. 9 people who know where they're going but not why they're going there or what they'll be doing there - the ship crew. 2 people that know where they're going and why, but not the actual nature of the mission - the couple. And the 3 people that are completely clueless about everything.

Personally I'd get on that ship if I was in the situation of the "Weylands", possibly if I was a ship crew and knew my job was just to fly the ship. If I was Shaw or her bf I'd actually think I knew the whole story and would of course get on the ship. But if I was one of the scientists I'd stay as far away from it as I could possibly get!

Neudiin said:
AliceDoe said:
As am I but seeings how atheists are in the minority in this world I wasn't really referring to us(even tho I said us..didn't mean atheists) when I said "raise questions." But more to stir up the religious nut jobs out there. No better way to get people to go see a movie than to have the nut jobs say not to =)

Haha, I guess on a global scale, or even in USA, we're a minority.. I'm just so used to being surrounded by atheists I forget that not everyone is. Finding a truly religious person here isn't something that happens often.

The thing about it is....no matter what the mission scientist by pure nature of what they do are curious. So if a geologist that had been to say 5 or 6 planets. I came to them and said hey I have an expedition to this that is going to go to a planet that will take almost 3 years to get to..you wanna go? I'll pay you X amount for the trip. Yeah they might ask some questions, the answers to which I really wouldn't have because no one has been there. Chances are, they'd go even with the unknown. Because that is what drives scientists...discovery of the unknown.

Speaking from a US view - our navy takes marines over to places all the time without knowing the marines mission. All the navy is to the marines is a ride. So the ship crew of the Prometheus knew to take the ship to point B and bring it back to point A. Which to me is totally logical. They don't need to know why, just how to drive err fly..whatever lol

And yeah...you tend to be around like minded people if you can be. I am the lone atheist in my family, I started questioning religion when I was 8 by 11 I was agnostic and by 16 or so figured there was no god. Many of my friends hate religion but still think there is creator or something akin to god. And I live in the south eastern US, the buckle of the bible belt so I run into religious nut jobs all the time.

Anyway....you should watch the other Alien movies, altho I gave the huge plot points away sorry. Alien is very good because of its isolation theme. Aliens is good because of the marines. The 3rd one is good...really good cept right at the end. The mercs in the 4th make that movie...lol I hate Alien vs Predator. I may have liked it had it taken place on another planet but it didn't. All dressed in parkas and shit then the final fight takes place outside, in Antarctica, in a wife beater :woops:

lol did we derail this or what? Mwahahaha....my job is done.

Neudiin said:
The thing about it is....no matter what the mission scientist by pure nature of what they do are curious. So if a geologist that had been to say 5 or 6 planets. I came to them and said hey I have an expedition to this that is going to go to a planet that will take almost 3 years to get to..you wanna go? I'll pay you X amount for the trip. Yeah they might ask some questions, the answers to which I really wouldn't have because no one has been there. Chances are, they'd go even with the unknown. Because that is what drives scientists...discovery of the unknown.

Speaking from a US view - our navy takes marines over to places all the time without knowing the marines mission. All the navy is to the marines is a ride. So the ship crew of the Prometheus knew to take the ship to point B and bring it back to point A. Which to me is totally logical. They don't need to know why, just how to drive err fly..whatever lol

And yeah...you tend to be around like minded people if you can be. I am the lone atheist in my family, I started questioning religion when I was 8 by 11 I was agnostic and by 16 or so figured there was no god. Many of my friends hate religion but still think there is creator or something akin to god. And I live in the south eastern US, the buckle of the bible belt so I run into religious nut jobs all the time.

Anyway....you should watch the other Alien movies, altho I gave the huge plot points away sorry. Alien is very good because of its isolation theme. Aliens is good because of the marines. The 3rd one is good...really good cept right at the end. The mercs in the 4th make that movie...lol I hate Alien vs Predator. I may have liked it had it taken place on another planet but it didn't. All dressed in parkas and shit then the final fight takes place outside, in Antarctica, in a wife beater :woops:

lol did we derail this or what? Mwahahaha....my job is done.

Just a quicky note here because I'm about to go on cam.

I feel your pain, having to run into bible thumpers all the time. Sweden is largely Atheist, and the people who do believe are very discreet and flexible about it - we don't have many extremists (your average bible thumper would be considered extremist here) and religion is a private matter as opposed to a public one as it seems to be in America.

I allowed myself to enjoy the visual aspects of this movie and several of the action sequences. I'm not the type to be terribly hard on a movie as long as I found something in it that I regarded as entertaining. The need to repeatedly tell people on a "scientific" mission not to fuck around with things they found until they'd been at least rudimentarily studied seemed a bit odd. The two guys leaving quite a bit before everyone else and then getting themselves lost was a bit strange as well. And half the theater thought running in a straight line as the Engineer's ship rolled towards Shaw and Vickers was rather dumb on their part.

All of that aside, I personally was able to just watch and enjoy the movie for what it was instead of being angry for what it wasn't. I enjoyed the Alien movies but never became a huge fan of the series so perhaps that's why I am more forgiving as well. My expectations just weren't so high for this movie.

i realize i'm late to the party on this thread but i really hated this movie... the last movie i hated this much was the last star trek movie. because of all the nonsensical sub-plots, bad science, and stupid plot twists that didn't have anything to do with the main plot of the movie.... i was pissed off for wasting 2 hours of my day. i didn't expected it to be as good as alien/aliens... but i wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.