AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Quantum Physics

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeronicaChaos

Cam Model
Nov 30, 2011
veronicachaos.com
Twitter Username
@Veronicachaos
Tumblr Username
Veronicachaos
MFC Username
Veronicachaos
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/302592/Veronica-Chaos/
So, I've been reading this book called Alice in Quantumland, trying to wrap my head around this Quantum Mechanics thing that I previously only understood in a very basic conceptual manner. I also realized I was flooding Model's Only with quantum babbling and thought this might be a more appropriate place. :D

What I specifically am intrigued by is the many-universes theory. To paraquote the book:

[Quantum rules] apply to the whole world, to everything. There is no limit to the superposition of states (Quantum superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that holds a physical system—such as an electron—exists partly in all its particular theoretically possible states simultaneously; but when measured or observed, it gives a result corresponding to only one of the possible configurations). When an observer looks at a superposition of quantum states you would expect him or her to see all of the effects that are appropriate to the selection of states present. This is what does happen; one observer does see all the results, or rather the observer also is in a superposition of different states, and each state of the observer has seen the result that goes with one of the states. Each state is simply extended to include the observer in the act of seeing that particular state.

Now, if the reality an individual lives in is simply the experience of one probability out of all probabilities, what does that mean about the consciousness of others within that probability? How can multiple unique consciousnesses share a probability that only one consciousness creates?

Or is this a silly question because part of the notion that every probability exists would automatically account for all the observations that create them? You don't only exist in the reality of your own observation but also in others as well. Would that mean by simply existing and observing other's consciousness that you somehow create them?

I might be jumping the gun since I haven't finished the book yet, but I'm enjoying the questions it's been raising. Would love to hear other's thoughts on the matter. :D

Wow, Veronica, thank you so much for bringing this up :D I take math classes for my boyfriend because he has an overlap in his schedule, and he can't go, but he still wants to take the course. And I have to say, that teacher is not only ruggedly handsome, he's also very funny and intelligent. I was planning on asking for exercise packs with elaborate solutions but god, I really like him, so I'll just keep going to that class :D I don't think there is anything sexier than intelligence and coherent, deep, and motivated thoughts.

The many-universe theory is a very interesting concept and I wish more people could understand what it's really about. According to quantum physics, the world is made up out of really small particles, which travel through roads most people are unable to grasp. (E.g. particles could be in two places at once, if I am not mistaken.) The many-universe theory is a logical consequence of this, as you never may know where the particles actually go - they might be somewhere completely different.

On the consciousness question, I can quote several Enlightenment philosophers, of whom the most important, Descartes, who thought that by knowing you think, you also know you exist; but John Locke, David Hume, Immanuel Kant, and George Berkeley have whole theories about how consciousness works; if you stretch it, you could conclude that you don't exist; you only exist because you know people can see, hear, touch,... you, and the consciousness in itself does not really exist as an entity.

It works both ways imo. You create the others, but the others could be creating you as well. How can you tell?

why does it matter?

or how does it matter?

:?

whether you exist because of others perception or whether you exist because of your own perception? or in any other possibility? does it matter??

I don't think that it is the observer that creates the state, it's that the state exists in all probabilities and the observer is entangled with this state. If this is the case I would say it more in this way: Every probability that exists automatically "accounts for" or "creates" a corresponding observers reactions based on a state. Similar but slightly different to what you state in your second statement.

I think it would mean that simply interacting with the world, you aren't creating new consciousness but as you interact new consciousnesses/worlds are being created. These consciousnesses/worlds are creating their own.

I suppose one can wonder, is any split off of your own consciousness actually even you any longer?

I think they would be considered entirely different versions. Similarly splits of people you know are no longer those that you know. Similarly splits of you caused by people you know are no longer you. Just as any split where you no longer exist also does not mean the actual YOU no longer exists in your world.

Assuming that the many-universe theory is just a real, rather then the theory that the state collapses on observation/measurement; rather then continuing existing.

I hope this makes sense, and I'm surfing on the same wave function you're throwing down!

ACFFAN69 said:
I don't think that it is the observer that creates the state, it's that the state exists in all probabilities and the observer is entangled with this state. If this is the case I would say it more in this way: Every probability that exists automatically "accounts for" or "creates" a corresponding observers reactions based on a state. Similar but slightly different to what you state in your second statement.

I think it would mean that simply interacting with the world, you aren't creating new consciousness but as you interact new consciousnesses/worlds are being created. These consciousnesses/worlds are creating their own.

I suppose one can wonder, is any split off of your own consciousness actually even you any longer?

I think they would be considered entirely different versions. Similarly splits of people you know are no longer those that you know. Similarly splits of you caused by people you know are no longer you. Just as any split where you no longer exist also does not mean the actual YOU no longer exists in your world.

Assuming that the many-universe theory is just a real, rather then the theory that the state collapses on observation/measurement; rather then continuing existing.

I hope this makes sense, and I'm surfing on the same wave function you're throwing down!

Wow, just wow. It took me so much chocolate and caffeine to be able to read through this.

Obviously, you are you, and the people around you are "them." But according to quantum physics, indeed, it may well be possible that these "new" versions of you, as a consequence of what other people decide to do and the way they decide to interact with you, are real as well. If we are indeed a small part of a larger universe that is being guided by the microscopic laws of protons, electrons, neutrons, and even smaller particles, which makes the earth revolve around both its axis and the sun, why would we, as sentient beings, not be guided by those same laws? I like the thought of the human species being on a road, either to superiority (as many like to believe) or extinction (which, at this rate, is likely to happen quite soon.) But of course, that doesn't eliminate the problem of individual consciousness. Your theory might be one possible solution: a person is who he is, thinks what he thinks like, and does what he does, and holds in himself all of the possible consequences of his actions, and so does the universe around him - including the people he interacts with. Still, that doesn't account for the dual location problem, but it may be a good start :)

What I also find very interesting in this matter (haha) is the attempts many scientists have made to merge quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

Early attempts to merge quantum mechanics with special relativity involved the replacement of the Schrödinger equation with a covariant equation such as the Klein–Gordon equation or the Dirac equation. While these theories were successful in explaining many experimental results, they had certain unsatisfactory qualities stemming from their neglect of the relativistic creation and annihilation of particles. A fully relativistic quantum theory required the development of quantum field theory, which applies quantization to a field (rather than a fixed set of particles). The first complete quantum field theory, quantum electrodynamics, provides a fully quantum description of the electromagnetic interaction. The full apparatus of quantum field theory is often unnecessary for describing electrodynamic systems. A simpler approach, one that has been employed since the inception of quantum mechanics, is to treat charged particles as quantum mechanical objects being acted on by a classical electromagnetic field. For example, the elementary quantum model of the hydrogen atom describes the electric field of the hydrogen atom using a classical Coulomb potential. This "semi-classical" approach fails if quantum fluctuations in the electromagnetic field play an important role, such as in the emission of photons by charged particles.

Highly interesting. I should be reading more about this. Penrose, here I come.

xo_Maria_ox said:
ACFFAN69 said:

Wow, just wow. It took me so much chocolate and caffeine to be able to read through this.

Obviously, you are you, and the people around you are "them." But according to quantum physics, indeed, it may well be possible that these "new" versions of you, as a consequence of what other people decide to do and the way they decide to interact with you, are real as well. If we are indeed a small part of a larger universe that is being guided by the microscopic laws of protons, electrons, neutrons, and even smaller particles, which makes the earth revolve around both its axis and the sun, why would we, as sentient beings, not be guided by those same laws? I like the thought of the human species being on a road, either to superiority (as many like to believe) or extinction (which, at this rate, is likely to happen quite soon.) But of course, that doesn't eliminate the problem of individual consciousness. Your theory might be one possible solution: a person is who he is, thinks what he thinks like, and does what he does, and holds in himself all of the possible consequences of his actions, and so does the universe around him - including the people he interacts with. Still, that doesn't account for the dual location problem, but it may be a good start :)

What I also find very interesting in this matter (haha) is the attempts many scientists have made to merge quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

Early attempts to merge quantum mechanics with special relativity involved the replacement of the Schrödinger equation with a covariant equation such as the Klein–Gordon equation or the Dirac equation. While these theories were successful in explaining many experimental results, they had certain unsatisfactory qualities stemming from their neglect of the relativistic creation and annihilation of particles. A fully relativistic quantum theory required the development of quantum field theory, which applies quantization to a field (rather than a fixed set of particles). The first complete quantum field theory, quantum electrodynamics, provides a fully quantum description of the electromagnetic interaction. The full apparatus of quantum field theory is often unnecessary for describing electrodynamic systems. A simpler approach, one that has been employed since the inception of quantum mechanics, is to treat charged particles as quantum mechanical objects being acted on by a classical electromagnetic field. For example, the elementary quantum model of the hydrogen atom describes the electric field of the hydrogen atom using a classical Coulomb potential. This "semi-classical" approach fails if quantum fluctuations in the electromagnetic field play an important role, such as in the emission of photons by charged particles.

Highly interesting. I should be reading more about this. Penrose, here I come.

I'm sorry for my post being a mess, I didn't mean to imply that those new splits were not real, I just meant that they are no longer your "individual consciousness". I still hold that to be true, but the question gets muddled a bit when thinking about it:

"Man is nothing else but what he purposes, he exists only in so far as he realizes himself, he is therefore nothing else but the sum of his actions, nothing else but what his life is" - Sartre

In regards to the Many Worlds theory, one of the main reasons it was theorized was to remove the importance on the observer causing the wave function collapse, but rather explain that all probabilities of the wave function all exist. Therefore, the observer is not a creature of sentience or measuring device, the observer is really anything that reacts to any thermodynamic process that can occur (in other words, anything that can happen, did happen). Billions of splits causing "new universes" happen every fraction of a second. In most of these universes we will have the exact same thoughts and do the exact same actions that we would in other universes, and our universe. The main time these splits would actually create a "different you" are only in the rare processes that would affect you or someone you know personally. This seems to be an argument for it being the same you, even consciousness-wise, in most cases.

Also on split, these universes are only created when the thermodynamic process occurs (or on measurement), and split off like a tree, sharing the same roots/past. So when you specify "location problem", it is kind of still in the same location, even though it isn't...?

It really confuses things when it comes to consciousness, if the theory is right.

I love the question, and was about to start on the fourth or fifth post, (the one after Red's), but right now the reality I have created is one in which I am likely to get hit in the head with a frying pan by my GF if I do not do as she suggest, and put down the keyboard and back away from the computer. ;)

"an electron—exists partly in all its particular theoretically possible states simultaneously; but when measured or observed, it gives a result corresponding to only one of the possible configurations"

If the electron, when measured, is shown to be in just one place at that moment then guess what? That's where it is at that moment. Quantum physics reminds me of masturbation. Fun but produces little. Almost all of it is theoretical and tends to contradicts itself. Scientific American periodically has articles on this that do make me laugh. One genius posited that there is an universe somewhere just like ours BEACAUSE if there are infinite universes (a dubious claim) then eventually ONE of them has to be like ours. The problem with this supposition is that with each permutation from the original universe, such as one sub atomic particle moving in a different direction, an almost infinite set of variables has been affected making that universe different. As we expand forward in time the variables increase and the differences increase so with time the author's infinite universes become even more different and the likelihood of one being the same is nil.

Now how many of you older ones ran out and bought Steven Hawking's " A Brief History of Time" some 20 yrs ago because he was an ALS victim and a brilliant scientist ( and you wanted to impress your friends) of all the regular folks and PhDs that I quizzed on the content of the book, not a single one could explain even one concept. I suffered through it and those hours are lost forever lol

Rude Boy

Reactions: Red7227
ACFFAN69 said:
I'm sorry for my post being a mess, I didn't mean to imply that those new splits were not real, I just meant that they are no longer your "individual consciousness". I still hold that to be true, but the question gets muddled a bit when thinking about it:

"Man is nothing else but what he purposes, he exists only in so far as he realizes himself, he is therefore nothing else but the sum of his actions, nothing else but what his life is" - Sartre
Yeah, I know what you meant :) the point of most sciences is that they study real things and try to explain reality. Hence...

ACFFAN69 said:
In regards to the Many Worlds theory, one of the main reasons it was theorized was to remove the importance on the observer causing the wave function collapse, but rather explain that all probabilities of the wave function all exist. Therefore, the observer is not a creature of sentience or measuring device, the observer is really anything that reacts to any thermodynamic process that can occur (in other words, anything that can happen, did happen). Billions of splits causing "new universes" happen every fraction of a second. In most of these universes we will have the exact same thoughts and do the exact same actions that we would in other universes, and our universe. The main time these splits would actually create a "different you" are only in the rare processes that would affect you or someone you know personally. This seems to be an argument for it being the same you, even consciousness-wise, in most cases.

Also on split, these universes are only created when the thermodynamic process occurs (or on measurement), and split off like a tree, sharing the same roots/past. So when you specify "location problem", it is kind of still in the same location, even though it isn't...?
Quite fascinating. Which would mean that these many worlds are, in fact, around us? I didn't know that. It makes sense. And yes, I have read "A brief history of time". Like three years ago. I thought this was dealing with parallel universes and such. It doesn't always have to be far-fetched :)

ACFFAN69 said:
It really confuses things when it comes to consciousness, if the theory is right.

Exactly my point.

RudeBoy said:
"an electron—exists partly in all its particular theoretically possible states simultaneously; but when measured or observed, it gives a result corresponding to only one of the possible configurations"

If the electron, when measured, is shown to be in just one place at that moment then guess what? That's where it is at that moment. Quantum physics reminds me of masturbation. Fun but produces little.
Haha, truth. But LHC experiments have shown that a lot is possible so I'm trying to be open-minded about all this :)

RudeBoy said:
Almost all of it is theoretical and tends to contradicts itself. Scientific American periodically has articles on this that do make me laugh. One genius posited that there is an universe somewhere just like ours BECAUSE if there are infinite universes (a dubious claim) then eventually ONE of them has to be like ours.
There's that little, but massively important word "if" again... Nearly everything about theoretic physics and quantum theory wasn't based upon observations, solely upon calculations and reason. It wouldn't surprise me if Einstein was both correct (which was evidenced not that long ago) and incorrect. (Because string theory and relativity are not easy to correlate.) That's what our universe works like & I doubt we will ever know everything.

RudeBoy said:
The problem with this supposition is that with each permutation from the original universe, such as one sub atomic particle moving in a different direction, an almost infinite set of variables has been affected making that universe different. As we expand forward in time the variables increase and the differences increase so with time the author's infinite universes become even more different and the likelihood of one being the same is nil.
Fair point.

RudeBoy said:
Now how many of you older ones ran out and bought Steven Hawking's " A Brief History of Time" some 20 yrs ago because he was an ALS victim and a brilliant scientist ( and you wanted to impress your friends) of all the regular folks and PhDs that I quizzed on the content of the book, not a single one could explain even one concept. I suffered through it and those hours are lost forever lol

Rude Boy
I read it bc I literally held it in my hands at the bookstore where I used to work. I loved it. It's quite hard, though, I know.

I love complex brain work. I have spent some time on the ideas of advanced physics, but have always found that before I can truly come to any understanding that the building blocks become too abstract for me to put together. I have come to the conclusion that I have not the intelligence, and/or the preexisting knowledge/education to really comprehend such things.

On the other hand i have for years been interested in fluid dynamics, and have even built a few models to explore some ideas i have had about how water would behave. All very rudimentary, but very rewarding to see your ideas work, or sometimes not, but be able to understand why. Something that would not be possible to do with quantum physics.

And if we are discussing consenseness and its interaction with what we understand to be the physical world, are we not mixing the metaphysical and the physical? Not to suggest there is no connection, i think there is, but to spend much time thinking about such currently unanswerable questions to me seems rather fruitless. It's fine as a form of recreation, but as has been mentioned in an earlier post, our continued existence on this plant is dubious, and i would love to see the genius of ppl like miss Chaos spending some thought on questions more applicable to fixing that problem.

Reactions: ACFFAN69
xo_Maria_ox said:
Camstory: in the end, the world we see around us and the world within us are both made out of the same particles. Even if there is free will, interaction between the human brain and the outside world is worth digging into :) methinks anyways
Me thinks so as well, I am just constantly possessed by what I feel is the urgency of other matters - possessed, like Linda Blair's Regan in The Exorcist. (Yesterday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences a report on the condition of the Amazon basin was released, one of the conclusion reached was that it is likely that the rainforest has been pushed beyond the point of no return, and the halt of deforestation alone will not be enough to prevent its collapse as a rainforest.) So, though I am aware that my focus is uncommonly narrow, I am not always mindfully respectful of the broad scope of others.

Back on topic, I have been shaking the OP around in my head for a few days now. Not concentrating on it, b/c (for me) it is not the sort of thing I could develop an informed opinion about. (I don't have the tools to truly understand the available information that might inform others.) However, this afternoon as it drift past another time, my gaze held, and almost as if it had been previously drafted, a non informed, or self informed opinion rolled out before me.

If we are allowing that an electron at any instant might inhabit any possible position, and that while we might measure it in any given position, that it simultaneously inhabits all of its other possible positions, then lets apply that to what we do know. We know that most of what fills our universe, that which we have labeled dark matter, is something other than the matter of atoms. So why would we not call it possible matter?

It is all those position of the electron that are not measured, but were/are possibilities, that are dark matter. And, it is not just electrons, it is the bits that they're made of, and it is the realities, that conciseness, of one, or the interaction of two, or of all, is the possible reality that is not ours. (Or the reality that we measure.)

If there are so many possible realities, or positions of an electron, but what we measure, or experience is not in fact any other possibility, than what is/were/are the other possibilities, would be much more than that possibility which we measured and/or are experiencing. Maybe about the same much more dark matter that fills our universe?

This is not the sort of theory that makes much sense from a mathematical, or scientific pov, but it is most surly not incorrect b/c in the vagueness of possibility, or should I say the possibility of possibility, all things are possible. If that is so, one of those possibilities will be the one we may eventually measure.

I have no idea what that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ means, but Phaedrus might.

RudeBoy said:

If the electron, when measured, is shown to be in just one place at that moment then guess what? That's where it is at that moment. Quantum physics reminds me of masturbation. Fun but produces little. Almost all of it is theoretical and tends to contradicts itself.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Quantum physics has actually give the real world a lot of value. The computer you are reading this on uses transistors which rely on the properties of semiconductors - a direct outcome of our studies of QM. Clocks that are used on satellites make use of QM properties - satellites you use to tell you where you are, to make phone calls, and sometimes transmit internet porn to your screen.

Then we have the laser. Whilst you may not encounter them directly in your day to day life, they are central to our lives in many ways. Fibre optics that transmit data (and porn), cancer treatment, laser eye surgery, barcode scanning when you buy something at the store, manufacturing, etc.

So QM, whilst counter-intuitive in our macro sized lives, does produce a LOT. Just because people may struggle to understand the duality of a wave function, doesn't mean it's not real.

Honestly, I saw it, and thought, it would be good for a bump. I don't think this thread has played out like it should, (which I am not sure how that should be, but it could go much further than it has), and the gif is my way of saying, let's keep this one going, but it's friday night so please forgive the lazy brain bump.

Attachments

• chaosbump.jpg
    chaosbump.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: ACFFAN69
I was talking to a friend who is a physics teacher who loves to get high and discuss this stuff, and he told me about a new theory has just been proposed a few weeks ago which is an offshoot to the "Many Worlds" theory, called the "Many Interactive Worlds" theory (it's a giant read, FYI. I tl;dr it a bit in quotes below).
https://journals.aps.org/prx/abstract/1 ... .041013#s5

In short it's a manner of merging Newtonian mechanics and Quantum mechanics. It's the idea that:

What_is_MIW? said:
Quantum mechanics provides our most fundamental description of nature, but there is a long-standing and passionate debate among physicists about what all the math “really” means. We provide an answer based on a very simple picture: The world we experience is just one of an enormous number of essentially classical worlds, and all quantum phenomena arise from a universal force of repulsion that prevents worlds from having identical physical configurations. Probabilities arise only because of our ignorance as to which world an observer occupies. This picture is all that is needed to explain bizarre quantum effects such as particles that tunnel through solid barriers and wave behavior in double-slit experiments.

PhysRevX.4.041013.png

Our “many-interacting-worlds” approach hinges on the assumption that interactions between deterministically evolving worlds cause all quantum effects. Each world is simply the position of particles in three-dimensional space, and each would evolve according to Newton’s laws if there were no interworld interactions. A surprising feature of our approach is that the formulation contains nothing that corresponds to the mysterious quantum wave function, except in the formal mathematical limit in which the number of worlds becomes infinitely large. Conversely, Newtonian mechanics corresponds to the opposite limit of just one world. Thus, our approach incorporates both classical and quantum theory. We perform numerical simulations and show that our approach can reproduce interference with a double slit. As few as two interacting worlds can result in quantumlike effects, such as tunneling through a barrier.

(...)

One way to think about it is that they coexist in the same space as our universe, like ghost universes. These other worlds are mostly invisible because they only interact with ours under very strict conditions, and only in very minute ways, he says, via a force acting between similar particles in different universes. But this interaction could be enough to explain quantum mechanics.

They believe they can use this idea of repulsion between similar Worlds to reproduce quantum phenomenon such as Ehrenfest’s theorem, wave packet spreading, barrier tunneling, zero-point energy.

It also a theory that can be easier proven then others, by overcoming this repulsion.

What_is_MIW? said:
In the Holland-Poirier hydrodynamical approach, the wave function plays no dynamical role. However, it may be recovered, in a nontrivial manner, by integrating the trajectories up to any given time [8]. This has proved a useful tool for making efficient and accurate numerical calculations in quantum chemistry [9,10]. Schiff and Poirier [11], while “drawing no definite conclusions,” interpret their formulation as a “kind of ‘many worlds’ theory,” albeit they have a continuum of trajectories (i.e., flow lines), not a discrete set of worlds.

Here, we take a different but related approach, with the aim of avoiding the ontological difficulty of a continuum of worlds. In particular, we explore the possibility of replacing the continuum of fluid elements in the Holland-Poirier approach by a huge but finite number of interacting “worlds.” Each world is classical in the sense of having determinate properties that are functions of its configuration. In the absence of the interaction with other worlds, each world evolves according to classical Newtonian physics. All quantum effects arise from, and only from, the interaction between worlds. We therefore call this the many interacting worlds (MIW) approach to quantum mechanics. A broadly similar idea has been independently suggested by Sebens [12], although without any explicit model being given.

The MIW approach can only become equivalent to standard quantum dynamics in the continuum limit, where the number of worlds becomes uncountably infinite. However, we show that even in the case of just two interacting worlds it is a useful toy model for modeling and explaining quantum phenomena, such as the spreading of wave packets and tunneling through a potential barrier. Regarded as a fundamental physical theory in its own right, the MIW approach may also lead to new predictions arising from the restriction to a finite number of worlds. Finally, it provides a natural discretization of the Holland-Poirier approach, which may be useful for numerical purposes. Before considering how its dynamics might be mathematically formulated and used as a numerical tool, however, we give a brief discussion of how its ontology may appeal to those who favor realist interpretations.

(...)

In the MIW approach there is no wave function, only a very large number of classical-like worlds with definite configurations that evolve deterministically. Probabilities arise only because observers are ignorant of which world they actually occupy, and so assign an equal weighting to all worlds compatible with the macroscopic state of affairs they perceive. In a typical quantum experiment, where the outcome is indeterminate in orthodox quantum mechanics, the final configurations of the worlds in the MIW approach can be grouped into different classes based on macroscopic properties corresponding to the different possible outcomes. The orthodox quantum probabilities will then be approximately proportional to the number of worlds in each class.

(...)

In the Everett or MW interpretation, the worlds are orthogonal components of a universal wave function [3]. The particular decomposition at any time, and the identity of worlds through time, is argued to be defined (at least well enough for practical purposes) by the quantum dynamics which generates essentially independent evolution of these quasiclassical worlds into the future (a phenomenon called effective decoherence). The inherent fuzziness of Everettian worlds is in contrast to the corresponding concepts in the MIW approach of a well-defined group of deterministically evolving configurations. In the MW interpretation, it is meaningless to ask exactly how many worlds there are at a given time, or exactly when a branching event into subcomponents occurs, leading to criticisms that there is no precise ontology [16]. Another difficult issue is that worlds are not equally “real” in the MW interpretation, but are “weighted” by the modulus squared of the corresponding superposition coefficients. As noted above, in the MIW approach, all worlds are equally weighted, so that Laplace’s theory of probability is sufficient to account for our experience and expectations.

The skeptical reader may wonder whether it is appropriate to call the entities in our MIW theory worlds at all. After all, each world corresponds to a set of positions of particles in real (3D) space. How, then, is the nature and interaction of these worlds any different from those of different gas species, say A and B, where the positions of all the A molecules constitute one world and those of the B molecules (each one partnered, nominally and uniquely, with one of the A molecules) constitute another world? The answer lies in the details of the interaction.

In the above example, any given A molecule will interact with any B molecule whenever they are close together in 3D space. Thus, a hypothetical being in the “ A world,” made of some subset of the A molecules, would experience the presence of B molecules in much the same way that it would feel the presence of other A molecules. By contrast, as will be shown later in this paper, the force between worlds in our MIW approach is non-negligible only when the two worlds are close in configuration space. It would be as if the A gas and B gas were completely oblivious to each other unless every single A molecule were close to its B partner. Such an interaction is quite unlike anything in classical physics, and it is clear that our hypothetical A-composed observer would have no experience of the B world in its everyday observations, but by careful experiment might detect a subtle and nonlocal action on the A molecules of its world. Such action, though involving very many, rather than just two, worlds, is what we propose could lie behind the subtle and nonlocal character of quantum mechanics.

(...)

Other matters for future investigation include how spin and entanglement phenomena such as teleportation and Bell-inequality violation are modeled in the MIW approach. The latter will require studying the case of worlds with configuration spaces of at least two dimensions (corresponding to two one-dimensional systems), and will also allow analysis of the quantum measurement problem (where one system acts as an “apparatus” for the other). This may help clarify the ontology and epistemology of any fundamental new theory based upon the MIW approach to quantum mechanics.

In the context of entanglement, it is worth comparing our MIW approach with conventional many-worlds approaches. The latter are often motivated by the desire, first, to restrict reality to only the wave function, and second, to avoid the explicit nonlocality that arises from entanglement in other realist versions of quantum mechanics. Our approach is, by contrast, motivated by the desire to eliminate the wave function. It furthermore elevates the nonlocality of quantum mechanics to a kind of “supernonlocality”: particles in different worlds are nonlocally connected through the proposed MIW interaction, thus leading, indirectly, to nonlocal interactions between particles in the same world.

Turning from questions of foundations and interpretations to applied science, the MIW approach provides a promising controlled approximation for simulating quantum ground states and the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, as discussed in Secs. V and VI. In particular, we show that it is able to reproduce quantum interference phenomena, at least qualitatively. Quantitative comparisons with different initial conditions, convergence as a function of the number of worlds N, and generalizations to higher dimensions, are a matter for immediate future work.

http://www.livescience.com/49028-farthe ... ation.html?

In a recent experiment, the quantum state (the direction it was spinning) of a light particle instantly traveled 15.5 miles (25 kilometers) across an optical fiber, becoming the farthest successful quantum teleportation feat yet. Advances in quantum teleportation could lead to better Internet and communication security, and get scientists closer to developing quantum computers.

About five years ago, researchers could only teleport quantum information, such as which direction a particle is spinning, across a few meters. Now, they can beam that information across several miles. [Twisted Physics: 7 Mind-Blowing Findings]

Quantum teleportation doesn't mean it's possible for a person to instantly pop from New York to London, or be instantly beamed aboard a spacecraft like in television's "Star Trek." Physicists can't instantly transport matter, but they can instantly transport information through quantum teleportation. This works thanks to a bizarre quantum mechanics property called entanglement.

Quantum entanglement happens when two subatomic particles stay connected no matter how far apart they are. When one particle is disturbed, it instantly affects the entangled partner. It's impossible to tell the state of either particle until one is directly measured, but measuring one particle instantly determines the state of its partner.

In the new, record-breaking experiment, researchers from the University of Geneva, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the National Institute of Standards and Technology used a superfast laser to pump out photons. Every once in a while, two photons would become entangled. Once the researchers had an entangled pair, they sent one down the optical fiber and stored the other in a crystal at the end of the cable. Then, the researchers shot a third particle of light at the photon traveling down the cable. When the two collided, they obliterated each other.

Though both photons vanished, the quantum information from the collision appeared in the crystal that held the second entangled photon.

Quantum information has already been transferred dozens of miles, but this is the farthest it's been transported using an optical fiber, and then recorded and stored at the other end. Other quantum teleportation experiments that beamed photons farther used lasers instead of optical fibers to send the information. But unlike the laser method, the optical-fiber method could eventually be used to develop technology like quantum computers that are capable of extremely fast computing, or quantum cryptography that could make secure communication possible.

Physicists think quantum teleportation will lead to secure wireless communication — something that is extremely difficult but important in an increasingly digital world. Advances in quantum teleportation could also help make online banking more secure.

The research was published Sept. 21 in the journal Nature Photonics.

Reactions: camstory
Status
Not open for further replies.