AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

So much lag I can't cam

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SensualFreeSpirit

Inactive Cam Model
Apr 9, 2015
US for now
Twitter Username
@SensualFreeSpir
Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can tell me what the problem is.

It's been going on for 3 days now & I can't work :(

I'm using the Logitech C920 & I bought it on Dec. 4th 2014, by the time I got it, let's say Dec. 10th.

I noticed about a week ago that I was getting a glow surrounding my image. You know like that romantic filter they used back in the 1940's in movies? It actually made me look better.

Then 3 days ago I started to get MAJOR lag even with only one site open. I haven't been able to work b/c of it & it's freaking me out. But the odd thing is on Skype it's fine. No issues.

Even when not using HD it's slightly better, but not wonderful.

I have tested out several possibilities by eliminating what it could be, & nothing is making sense.

I tried the cam on my desktop & also lag. I always work on my laptop.

Tried using a Hot Spot from my cell to see if maybe it's my ISP as they have been having server issues which also block some of the sites. Same issue.

Unfortunately now being overseas I can't rush to get a new cam & I'm still not 100% that it is the cam. Why would it break down only after 15 months of use :(

My friend who's a smart GEEK thinks it's my PCs that got infected somehow, but I'm well protected with ESET & MBAM & nothing has been triggered on either computer.

The next step is to try & find someone's computer I can test the sites on which won't be easy as I know no one here & I certainly can't ask someone I barely know if I can run webcam sites on their computer. LOL

Any thoughts?

Maybe someone else has had this experience before?

Thanks a ton :)

Do http://www.speedtest.net/ and tell us what your download and upload speed is.
What version of windows are you using? I assume it's some flavour of windows Malwares bytes is windows only.
Are you noticing any slowdown when not camming? For example viewing youtube videos? Is that normal?
Can you explain more about your physical setup. Do you use your computer with wifi or a physical cable plugged into a home plug or router?
Is your place of camming (I'm assuming your in the UK), running on broadband or fibre? What speed?
Can you give the name and brand of the router? Some routers (Draytech etc) have diagnostics that could help you understand what is going on.

I'm not sure I understand the timeline of events. You got the Logitech C920 in December, but your slowdown was a week ago.
So do you have an old webcam you used before December? Not sure why you say about getting a C920 in December?
You say your overseas, does that mean you been overseas for some time? Like since December? There will be a small lag for everyone who is outside North America.

Last edited:
Do http://www.speedtest.net/ and tell us what your download and upload speed is.
What version of windows are you using? I assume it's some flavour of windows Malwares bytes is windows only.
Are you noticing any slowdown when not camming? For example viewing youtube videos? Is that normal?
Can you explain more about your physical setup. Do you use your computer with wifi or a physical cable plugged into a home plug or router?
Is your place of camming (I'm assuming your in the UK), running on broadband or fibre? What speed?
Can you give the name and brand of the router? Some routers (Draytech etc) have diagnostics that could help you understand what is going on.

I'm not sure I understand the timeline of events. You got the Logitech C920 in December, but your slowdown was a week ago.
So do you have an old webcam you used before December? Not sure why you say about getting a C920 in December?
You say your overseas, does that mean you been overseas for some time? Like since December? There will be a small lag for everyone who is outside North America.

Thanks for responding Puffin. I actually know what a Puffin is oddly enough LOL

Answers to your questions:

1. Laptop - Win 8.1
2. Desktop - Win 7
3. Speeds are fine, but the ISP has been having issues with a server they got from the US. I had problems when I first signed up with them & then again 1 1/2 weeks ago when I had to get a static IP.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5200365273 - I'm now on a static IP
4. No slowdown except when camming. Not even on Skype, although I really can't gauge as my speeds are so high I wouldn't even notice.
5. Both computers are hardwired into the modem. I don't believe in wifi unless it's for my phone or I'm on the road.
6. Not in the UK & it's cable. I don't think it's fiber optics yet, but I can't be 100% sure. I was supposed to get 100 down, but now with the static IP it's slower. When I go back to a dynamic IP, I may get 200 down which will give me 5 up which is what is so important for camming, but I'd have to switch companies. I may do that tomorrow.
7. The modem is custom made for the ISP, so that won't help unfortunately. It's called Hot
8. I'm just saying if it is the cam, why is it suddenly causing problems. It's not that old. That's all I'm saying. I was using the laptop's cam prior to that. So no, no issues with the cam until the white glow & now the lag, assuming it is the cam that's the issue.
9. Been overseas since Oct. 28th of last year, camming here since around mid Dec. as I had to get a desk & get set up.

Someone else on Fiverr is now is trying to help & had me to do a traceroute. I'm not sure what the results mean as that's beyond my knowledge, but he said if there's an * showing up, it's a problem & there is one there. He went to bed, so I won't know until tomorrow when he comes onto my computer via Teamviewer. :( I really wanted to cam today, but I guess I can't <sigh>

Thanks again :)

Ok, well I thought it was the laptop until I tried my desktop & had the same problem. The laptop is crap (an Asus), but the desktop should be working fine.

Again, I have no way of testing with a 3rd computer b/c I don't know anyone who I can get a laptop from.

Thanks for the thread though :)

What browser are you using? Chrome, Firefox, Opera...

3. Speedtest: Download 67.43Mb/s Upload 2.03Mb/s

2.03Mb/s(megabits) is 0.254 megabytes per second which is 254 kilobytes per second.

First impression, that upload speed seems slow. I imagine(just a guess!) every frame on chaturbate is 100kilobytes or more. If correct, that means two frames a second, that seems an issue.

Last edited:
Jerry I normally use Chrome & I have it all set up properly.

I once tried to use Fx with the sites, but there were too many issues with it.

I did try to use Fx 2 days ago & it was slightly less laggy, but then I had problems again even being able to click on tabs, the camera & allow bullets/checkboxes.

I think I've tried with Opera in the past, but it has the same backend interface as Chrome, so I didn't try it this time.

Puffin - that's the same UL speed I've had since day one & I never had these issues.

Thanks

Tried using traceroute (tracert), when tracert-ing to chaturbate.com it lists IP devices near me, then has * showing up after leaving london. That seems normal for a server network hiding it's technical stuff from the public side of the internet. The *'s are not a problem in this case in my opinion.

3. Speedtest: Download 67.43Mb/s Upload 2.03Mb/s

2.03Mb/s(megabits) is 0.254 megabytes per second which is 254 kilobytes per second.

First impression, that upload speed seems slow. I imagine(just a guess!) every frame on chaturbate is 100kilobytes or more. If correct, that means two frames a second, that seems an issue.

That is right at the border for 1080p even with the c920 using h.264 compression. Makes me wonder if somehow settings on both the desktop and laptop got set to 1080p in the last few days. Seems a bit unlikely both would change. But it's probably worth trying going into the logitech settings and try switching it to 720p. Also make sure it's not trying to transmit at 60fps, lower that setting too.

C920 specs

Screenshot - 3_26_2016 , 4_54_47 PM.png

• Helpful!
Reactions: Puffin
Jerry I normally use Chrome & I have it all set up properly.

Okay, there's two things you may want to try in Chrome. Since it happened on both your desktop and laptop at the same time it makes me wonder if some extension you have installed in Chrome is messing you up. Those sync between computers in Chrome, so it would also account for both being affected at the same time.

First, could you try to clean your browsing history in Chrome?
Go to settings.
Scroll all the way to the bottom and click 'show advanced settings.'
Click on 'clear browsing data...'
Make sure 'the beginning of time' is selected and check most of the boxes, if not all.

Screenshot - 3_26_2016 , 5_02_25 PM.png Screenshot - 3_26_2016 , 5_02_41 PM.png Screenshot - 3_26_2016 , 5_02_48 PM.png Screenshot - 3_26_2016 , 5_03_22 PM.png

You could try camming at that point just to see if clearing out your history helped. But if you still have problems, or just want to rule out this to begin with, try disabling every extension you have installed.

So while you're still in settings, in the upper left corner, click on extensions. Uncheck the 'enabled' box on every one of them. Then try camming and see. That doesn't uninstall any of them, so you can always just go back into extensions and click to enable all of them again if you like. This is just to rule those out. If it does take care of the problem then you know it's one of them. Then it's just a matter of narrowing it down to which one and getting rid of it.

Screenshot - 3_26_2016 , 5_06_23 PM.png

• Helpful!
Reactions: Puffin
That is right at the border for 1080p even with the c920 using h.264 compression. Makes me wonder if somehow settings on both the desktop and laptop got set to 1080p in the last few days. Seems a bit unlikely both would change. But it's probably worth trying going into the logitech settings and try switching it to 720p. Also make sure it's not trying to transmit at 60fps, lower that setting too.

C920 specs

View attachment 61830

Sorry for the delay. I don't think I'm getting notices when someone responds here.

So I guess I never DLed the drivers as I thought it was just plug & play.

I DLed software on both computers now & checked on the laptop & don't see any settings for changing any of those numbers. I even watched a couple of YT videos & there was nothing in there related to that.

Do you know where I can change them?

Thank you :)

Okay, there's two things you may want to try in Chrome. Since it happened on both your desktop and laptop at the same time it makes me wonder if some extension you have installed in Chrome is messing you up. Those sync between computers in Chrome, so it would also account for both being affected at the same time.

First, could you try to clean your browsing history in Chrome?
Go to settings.
Scroll all the way to the bottom and click 'show advanced settings.'
Click on 'clear browsing data...'
Make sure 'the beginning of time' is selected and check most of the boxes, if not all.

View attachment 61831 View attachment 61832 View attachment 61833 View attachment 61834

You could try camming at that point just to see if clearing out your history helped. But if you still have problems, or just want to rule out this to begin with, try disabling every extension you have installed.

So while you're still in settings, in the upper left corner, click on extensions. Uncheck the 'enabled' box on every one of them. Then try camming and see. That doesn't uninstall any of them, so you can always just go back into extensions and click to enable all of them again if you like. This is just to rule those out. If it does take care of the problem then you know it's one of them. Then it's just a matter of narrowing it down to which one and getting rid of it.

View attachment 61835

Oh I did all of that the very minute I started to have problems. I used CCleaner twice & then manually deleted my cache, & rebooted 4 times & someone came onto my computer & disabled some extensions, but I did it just now on Chrome & the issue is still there.

Ok, so a few things:

1. Where I'm living they make you get an account with 2 different companies, the infrastructure (which is the coaxial cable) & the ISP (which is the provider). I had been having problems with the ISP a couple of times, so I changed them yesterday & it STILL hasn't fixed the problem. :(

2. I argued with the cable company that it's them causing me problems b/c 1 1/2 weeks ago they came out & did find a problem outside the apt. & he said he fixed it. Today they refuse to take responsibility & I'm not going to pay for someone to come out & take a look at it. Since I spoke to them this morning, I have had my Internet flicker on & off 3 times while the modem lights were still on, so I called them back & I'm waiting for a response now.

3. While I had both companies on the phone with me, they wanted me to test IE. I NEVER use IE, but I decided to appease them & try it & BOY was I shocked when it WORKED!!!

So this begs the question, why is it working on IE?

I tried my Chrome for the 10th time & even Opera, & neither work, but then again Opera uses Chromes interface.

The problem with even using IE in the meantime is that it won't let me load more then one cam site. It's telling the 2nd cam site that the cam is busy even though I have no problems doing this on all 3 other browsers. <sigh>

The ISP guy wanted me to uninstall & reinstall Chrome & Flash, but really this all makes no logical sense. If it was just one browser causing problems I'd agree with him, but it's 3 browsers (Chrome, Fx & Opera).

4. I'm still having the occasional lag problem just with typing on both computers. It happens, then stops, then happens again then is fine.

5. I thought this whole issue was b/c of Flash, why? Because on my desktop I noticed that Opera wouldn't load www.speedtest.net fully (you know the middle flash area) & all cam sites are jam packed with flash. Opera's flash works on my laptop no problem, just not on my desktop.

VERY strange & this is really starting to piss me off.

You can download the logitech c920 software(includes driver) from logitech.com

Yeh I think that's what I already DLed, although on the desktop I got an error when DLing the extra VID software they offer.

Now I can't install it after uninstalling the other one. I'll have to wait until I restart the computer, but that's on the desktop, not the laptop, which is where I work from. And on the laptop there is no area to change those numbers either. Same software, just not that extra VID software.

I read somewhere that there are no drivers for Win 8 or you don't need the software, but I DLed what I could from there as well.

Can you unplug the webcam, remove the driver then install the software. It could be, that you have a generic microsoft webcam driver rather then the logitech on, that would explain why you don't get the extra functionality. Not having a Windows 8 machine here I can't test that scenario.

Uninstall Chrome and re-install, it will take you a whole 5 minutes , old versions of Chrome were terrible in Flash video. Worth a try

Can you unplug the webcam, remove the driver then install the software. It could be, that you have a generic microsoft webcam driver rather then the logitech on, that would explain why you don't get the extra functionality. Not having a Windows 8 machine here I can't test that scenario.

But I only installed the driver just today & then that wouldn't explain why it's not working on both computers. One is 7 & the other 8. :)

Uninstall Chrome and re-install, it will take you a whole 5 minutes , old versions of Chrome were terrible in Flash video. Worth a try

I'd try it no problem if it was the only browser causing problems, but it's not & then I'd have to redo everything. It's not 5 minutes for me, it's all my extensions.

Thanks though, b/c of you I went to go check what vs. I have & it wasn't up-to-date. Chrome is supposed to update automatically :(

I also thought of something else.

I read somewhere a week or so ago a cam girl saying that her cam issues are back to normal now after she downgraded her vs of flash. Let me try to downgrade flash. I will KILL flash if this was the problem all along. I tried to search for viruses re: flash & didn't come up with anything.

Reactions: Bia
But I only installed the driver just today & then that wouldn't explain why it's not working on both computers. One is 7 & the other 8. :)
If it's all installed correctly, then have you found the option to adjust the resolution? Remember you want 720 as your internet does appear fast enough for 1080.

Another useful figure is your FPS(Frames Per Second) which you can find here => https://www.onlinemictest.com/webcam-test

Ok, FINALLY I got someone to fix the problem.

It WAS the FUCKED UP Flash in the end. He wasn't even going to go in that direction until I mentioned it. It took him 2 hours to get rid of all the flash files & then even once that was done he couldn't get flash back onto the computer as it wasn't recognizing it.

I'M SOOO HAPPY the sites are working now.

Thank you guys for ALL your help !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.