AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Song meanings/lyrical interpretations

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2012
profiles.myfreecams.com
Joanna Newsom: Go Long

Joanna Newsom is an incredibly talented wordsmith that writes all her own songs, plays the harp and piano. In one interview she mentions that during a show once, one of the strings on her harp cut her finger. It was bleeding but she kept playing and every time she plucked a string and felt blood splatter on her face, she smiled. (I just added that part because she's super cute and you'd never expect that of her)
joanna.jpg

There are guys like this everywhere and I hope that most of you never have to figure that out but for those of you that have, this song is a startling reminder to always be careful with who you give your heart to.

Last night, again, you were in my dreams

Several expendable limbs were at stake

You were a prince, spinning rims

All sentiments Indian-given and half-baked

(The song begins with the set-up of a dream. I believe the entire song is meant to be a dream, made up of shifting imagery about a singular situation, told through metaphors. It seems to be about a man, “tortured” in a sense. From one view it would seem that the man is cruel (and he probably is) but the song lends a lot of sympathy, makes him sound weak and pathetic and pitiful rather than strong and secure and manly as he might imagine he is viewed.)

I was brought in on a palanquin,

Made of the many bodies of beautiful women

Brought to this place to be examined,

Swaying on an elephant:

A princess of India

<br>
6-1.jpg

<br>

(the 'palanquin' is a sacrificial platform by definition and this, like many of the lyrics in this song, is another reference to the legend of Bluebeard, who had many wives that all disappeared. She's saying that many women have come before her and now she takes the place of the last.

(The narrator is supposed to “save” this man. The first verse looks as if she is a beautiful woman (a “princess of India”) brought in almost as an offering to this wealthy, extravagant and insincere man. It’s no secret that he goes through women quickly, as she’s brought in on a bed of their sacrifice to him. These women, too, hoped to be the one to “save him,” to end his cruelty, to make him love truly another person. Instead, he has continued to live a life of extravagance, of freedom, and therefore, of great loneliness)

We both want the very same thing.

We are praying

I am the one to save you

But you don't even own,

your own violence

Run away from home-

your beard is still blue

(The man truly does believe he is being “saved,” he will no longer have to prove himself as a man, he will sink into the sweet bliss of domesticity and care from a woman he loves, and when he still does not feel fulfilled, with his disappointment, kills these women. The narrator is the newest addition, and they both hope for him. She recognizes though, as he does not, that when he kills these women for their failure, it is his failure, and his violence, which is truly causing him such pain. He can’t own this. He thinks that when he leaves his palace, his woman, disappears, takes advantage of his wealth and freedom, he will again be free, but he is forever stained by the remains of the women who have loved him and who he has torn up. He does not change by leaving; leaving does not save him)

With the loneliness of you mighty men,

With your jaws, and fists, and guitars

And pens, and your sugar-lip,

But I've never been to the fire pits with you mighty men

6-2.jpg

(The list of attributes these lonely men have: jaws, fists – to represent violence, masculinity, fighting; guitars and pens – artistic and intellectual endeavors; and then sugarlip, a way of being irresistible to women. These men value these things and focus on them so entirely, seeing that men and only men can have these aspects, and gather around firepits to celebrate their manliness. No women are allowed, no women could be as violent, have such a great mind, as these men believe they have. And no woman has ever been invited, or crossed the threshold, into this burning and sad manliness, isolated in its surety of isolation)

Who made you this way?

Who made you this way?

Who is going to bear your beautiful children?

Do you think you can just stop,

when you're ready for a change?

Who will take care of you

when you're old and dying?

(The narrator is concerned and sad for the man, wondering how he got this way, if he will ever have children, if he will ever have a wife that will care for him when he needs it. In his stark independence, his refusal to need anyone (ironically while needing someone so badly) he will end up alone. Worried for him, almost like a mother, the narrator is telling him softly how miserable he will be, and that soon enough, he won’t have a chance. No one will love him)

You burn in the Mekong,

to prove your worth,

Go Long! Go Long!

Right over the edge of the earth!

You have been wronged,

tore up since birth.

You have done harm.

Others have done worse.

(The Mekong is a sacrificial fire lit over the palanquin, or sacrificial platform. It's a reference to another legend in which a nation of snake gods were tricked into the fire, or Mekong, their deaths reaching near-genocidal proportions. Instead of mellowing himself, forgetting his quests for valor, he repeatedly goes on them; he tortures himself to prove himself. However, the sympathy is there. As a man, he’s repeatedly been failed by those who raised him, those around him, from his birth. It becomes a cycle, everyone just hurting each other)

Will you tuck your shirt?

Will you leave it loose?

You are badly hurt.

You're a silly goose.

(Again, softly, maternally, yearning for a simple domesticity, the narrator asks him about his clothing, wondering about his choices, teasing him. At this point though, he has almost destroyed himself. Covered in the remnants of him trying so hard to prove himself, he acts like a delirious and senile old man, groping at the women around them, not even able to respect or understand the women that are paid to care for him.)

You are caked in mud,

and in blood, and worse.

Chew your bitter cud,

Grope your little nurse.

(The narrator likens herself to a horse, to something men watch and use for a sport. She tries to appeal to him, saying look at your princess now. She is also failing him, she has not saved him, and he will kill her soon. She attempts to get him to look at his life spiritually, to show him his fear, and his ignorance and betrayal of women and how he is hurting himself. She tells him that though he’s looking, he’s blinded himself. He’s sunk further into isolation and as she tries to pull him out, she wonders if she’s done the right thing, or if she’s made it worse.)

Do you know why

my ankles are bound in gauze

sickly dressage:

a princess of kentucky?

(Newsom’s narrator comes into the story on a “palanquin.” She’s a princess of India and Kentucky. Her “ankles are bound in gauze.” This finery from Bluebeard is not only a confinement for Carter’s narrator, it is a way for Bluebeard to dehumanize her. He dresses up his new wife in all this excess because he wants to own her. And if he owns his wives, he then has even more of a right to brutally destroy them. Throughout Carter’s version of myth, there are the motifs of red rubies and white lilies, which Bluebeard showers upon his potential next victim. He makes his new wife wear them before they first have sex and even “kissed those blazing rubies…he kissed them before he kissed her mouth.” <br>
6.jpg
<br>
Both pieces of finery also forebode her death. We see that he orders her to place the red rubies around her neck before he intends to decapitate her and there are so many lilies in her room after the loss of her virginity, the narrator remarked that it looked like an “embalming parlour”. She even later finds his other wives dressed up in their former fineries in the “terrible room.” Newsom’s version of the Bluebeard myth does not expand very much on luxury’s connections to violence, but such overtones are definitely present in “Go Long” (“Do you know why my ankles are bound in gauze?/ Sickly dressage, a princess of Kentucky?”)

In the middle of the woods

which were the probable cause,

we danced in the lodge

like two panting monkeys.

(I think this might actually be a personal reference. I would definitely like to have sex in the middle of the woods in a sweat lodge like two panting monkeys. Sounds hot. )

I will give you a call, for one last hurrah.

If this tale is tall, forgive my scrambling.

But you keep palming along the wall,

moving at a blind crawl, but always rambling.

(Though he is lonely and sad and terrible, she has loved him, like all other women have too, and forever they feel his kiss, and he is forever kissing, asking for something he won’t accept. He is far away, lonely and alone, with all the other men, begging for and refusing help in the same breath.)

Wolf-spider, crouch in your funnel nest,

If I knew you, once,

now I know you less,

In the sinking sand,

where we've come to rest,

have I had a hand in your loneliness?

<br>
6-3-1.jpg

<br>

(Wolf spiders are strictly solitary creatures who prefer to build a funnel nest whose primary objective is to keep everything else but that spider OUT. )

When you leave me alone

in this old palace of yours,

it starts to get to me. I take to walking,

What a woman does is open doors.

And it is not a question of locking

or unlocking.

(If you're not familiar with Bluebeard, he had numerous wives that all disappeared. He convinces a local girl to marry him and leaves the country, giving her the keys to the castle and telling her not to open one particular door. He told each wife not to open the door, but each did. Her curiosity also gets the best of her, and in the forbidden room she finds the bodies of all his previous wives on hooks. )

Well, I have never seen

such a terrible room-

gilded with the gold teeth

of the women who loved you!

6.jpg

Now, though I die,

Magpie, this I bequeath:

by any other name

a jay is still blue

(The Magpie in a monogamous bird, it takes one mate its entire life while the Blue Jay is the opposite, always mating with a different bird. She's saying that she's the faithful Magpie and he's the Blue Jay, once a cheater, always a cheater. It's also a Shakespeare reference to "Romeo and Juliet" where Juliet says in her famous monologue "A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet." )

With the loneliness

of you mighty men,

with your mighty kiss

that might never end,

while, so far away,

in the seat of the west,

burns the fount

of the heat of that loneliness.

There's a man

who only will speak in code,

backing slowly, slowly down the road.

May he master everything

that such men may know about loving,

and then letting go.

(She accepts it then, and speaks of him, of every man like him, the ones that are on an eternal quest to be something that doesn’t exist. They understand nothing about themselves and are always moving. The narrator knows now that they cannot be helped. She hopes only for the next best thing: that he becomes what he wants to be in a true sense, that, like he’s been doing his whole life, he will love, and then he will cast away, and then he will do it again, until he’s let everyone go, and it is only him, only the men, in one place, all together, steeping themselves in isolation and a journey that they refuse to let end. )

Here is a video of this song with the lyrics posted on screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtVaHkJc4I

Here is a good quality, live versionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X ... re=related

This is brilliant :clap: Well played, lady :)
I don't have anything (nor am I capable of writing anything) as perceptive or as informative as your song breakdown but I posted these to an older thread a while back that I'm pretty sure is now defunct. Nowhere near as in-depth as what you've posted (you've set the bar high, ma'am :)) and really only looking at the opening lines in any detail (and even then there isn't much "interpretation" going on) but these kinda fit here so I'll post them.

Two opening lines from two very different songs (one's an ode to romanticism, one's a bitter "fuck you" to an undisclosed ex)...

You've got a lot of nerve
To say you are my friend

Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street

That opening gambit is the perfect distilation of EVERYTHING that the song endeavours to communicate. All the bitterness, the vitriol, the hurt, the regret, the anger - it's all there. You wouldn't even need to listen to the rest of the song to know what it's about (though you should, cos' it's a great tune, yeah?). It's the very essence of the song boiled down to a single soundbite AND it acts as the perfect launching pad for the rest of tune, a tune that also contains these gems

You say you lost your faith
But that’s not where it’s at
You had no faith to lose
And you know it

And now I know you’re dissatisfied
With your position and your place
Don’t you understand
It’s not my problem

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You’d know what a drag it is
To see you

The whole song is just a torrent of bitterness filtered though Dylan's genius. It's brilliant.

And then there's Bruce...

Spanish Johnny drove in from the underworld last night
With bruised arms and broken rhythm in a beat-up old Buick
But dressed just like dynamite

Bruce Springsteen - Incident On 57th Street

Different street, different song. In fact, I'd go so far as to say this is the most unflinchingly romantic song ever written. It does away with schmaltzy platitudes and twee declarations of undying love and all that jazz, instead telling the story of a love that's imperfect, young and fleeting, coloured by honesty and not hyperbole and bullshit. It's refreshing. And it's all set against this impossibly perfect backdrop of 1950's Americana.

He tried sellin' his heart to the hard girls over on Easy Street
But they sighed "Johnny it falls apart so easy and you know hearts these days are cheap"
And the pimps swung their axes and said "Johnny you're a cheater."
Well the pimps swung their axes and said "Johnny you're a liar"
And from out of the shadows came a young girl's voice said: "Johnny don't cry"
Puerto Rican Jane, oh won't you tell me what's your name.
I want to drive you down to the other side of town where paradise ain't so crowded, there'll be action goin' down on Shanty Lane tonight
All them golden-heeled fairies in a real bitch fight
Pull .38s and kiss the girls good night

This one's from a kid's TV show...

I like this song cos' of what it is, or at least what it has come to be - a giant fucking juxtaposition. It's a song that was used at the front end of a kid's TV show (the unspeakably brilliant The Adventures Of Pete & Pete) and if you forget about the lyrics for a second and just listen to the thing, it probably evokes images of Autumnal reverie. Or puppies. BUT, peel back that shimmering indie-pop veneer, and the lyrics expose a daaaaaaaaaark undercurrent. And this shit runs deep.

Hey smilin' strange
You're lookin' happily deranged
Could you settle to shoot me?
Or have you picked your target yet?

Polaris - Hey Sandy

It's a song about the Kent State shootings. Not Autumnal reverie. Not puppies. It's a song about the ugliest recesses of the human condition, the part that allows the National Guard to shoot and kill unarmed college kids (see also, Neil Young's Ohio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6aaaJBAv0) because Richard Nixon says it's okay.

Four feet away
End of speech, it's the end of the day
We was only funnin'
But guiltily I thought you had it comin'

Hey Sandy
Don't you talk back,
Hey Sandy

It also has a sweet guitar solo.

Reactions: SexyRapunzel

"Two Little Girls"

you were fresh off the boat from virginia
i had a year in new york city under my belt
1-1.jpg

we met in a dream
we were both 19
i remember where we were standing
i remember how it felt
1-2.jpg

2 little girls growing out of their training bras
this little girl breaks furniture, this little girl breaks laws
1-3.jpg

2 girls together
just a little less alone
this little girl cries wee wee
all the way home
1-4.jpg

you were always half crazy, now look at you baby
make about as much sense as a nursery rhyme
love is a piano dropped out a four story window
and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time
1-5.jpg

i don't like your girlfriend, yeah i don't like her
never seen one of your lovers do you so much harm
i loved you first and you know i would prefer
if she didn't empty her syringes into your arm
1-6.jpg

here comes little naked me padding up to the bathroom door
to find little naked you slumped on the bathroom floor
1-7.jpg

so i guess i'll just stand here with my back against the wall
while you distilled your whole life down to a 911 call
[chorus]

so now you bring me your bruises
so i can oh and ah at the display
1-8.jpg

maybe i'm supposed to make one of my famous jokes that makes everything ok
1-9.jpg

maybe i'm supposed to be the handsome prince who rides up and unties your hands
2-1.jpg

or maybe i'm supposed to be the furrow-browed friend who thinks she understands
1-10.jpg

here comes little naked me......[etc]

"Grow Grow Grow"

I sowed a seed
1-11.jpg

Underneath the oak tree
1-12.jpg

I trod it in
With my boots I trampled it down
1-14.jpg

Grow
2-2.jpg

Grow
1-15.jpg

Grow
1-16.jpg

I sowed a rose
1-17.jpg

Underneath the oak grove
1-13.jpg

With my boots on the ground
Into the earth I trampled it down
1-18.jpg

Grow
Whirlpool-1.jpg

Grow
Whirlpool.jpg

Grow
Stormdesktop.jpg

Teach me how to...
Teach me how to...

Teach me, Mommy
How to grow
1-19.jpg

How to catch someone's fancy
1-20.jpg

Underneath the twisted oak grove
1-21.jpg

SexyRapunzel said:
*gasp* I gots a response! And someone with a great taste in music! XD

Yes, and here's another response, although my musical tastes may be somewhat suspect. ;)

Although I will not break it down as eloquently as you and sans the pictorial backup.

Trees by Rush

There is unrest in the forest,
There is trouble with the trees,
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples,
(And they're quite convinced they're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light.
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made.
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the forest,
And the creatures all have fled,
As the maples scream "Oppression!"
And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights.
"The oaks are just too greedy;
We will make them give us light."
Now there's no more oak oppression,
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw

While released in 1978 under a much different political climate and from a Canadian group, I think these lyrics are very apropos of what is going on today.

When things are legislated to equality, i.e. "fairness" it will always regress to the lowest common denominator, not to the highest. I don't know that it can ever be more effectively stated than in these parable-like lyrics.

Or maybe it's just about trees.

[/media]

Rapunzel,

Not to threadjack, but I'm gonna post some lyrics that I have no idea what they mean so I cannot interpret, but I love the lyrical imagery.

Cross Canadian Ragweed
Lighthouse Keeper

VERSE 1:
A long haired man came to my door
Wearing roman sandles, carrying a golden sword
Said come with me, and I'll take you higher.

We soared out of the atmosphere
On his magic carpet that he let me steer
He said take the ring, son, and I'll let you fly her.

We escalated through a thick of clouds
And our only thought was not coming down
Towards the amber glow I started to feel the fire.

It was a unicorn with a neon arm
Wearing a belted saddle that was slightly worn
And I pulled my mystic rug right up beside her.

I sat down on a floatin stool
She knealt her head and produced a jewel
I smiled and asked, If I could ride her.

CHORUS:
And I saw the lighthouse keeper.
His hollow eyes that pierced my soul
He said that I'm just a desperate seeker
Searching for what I did not know.

VERSE 2:
On pegasus I was flying free
A careless loss of a purple sea
When I came upon a lonesome fortune teller.

She gazed into a crystal ball
And I saw that giant gavel fall
And she asked if I could be her pallbearer.

I heard that gypsy prophesize
Of the tearing flesh and the mothers' cry
And the crimson flow of blood that would run forever.

We stood before the Kings and Queens
And a hooded man with a guillotine
And prepared to meet the eternal tax collector.

Then a dying man with an aristocrat
On his balcony with a welcome mat
And he laughed and drank all the wine from his cellar.

Nice 2 minute guitar solo to end the song.

I'm on a bit of a Big Star kick at the moment. Alex Chilton was quite possibly the most under-appreciated songwriter of his time, which makes his death all the more tragic as it's only really been in the ensuing years that his work has seen the kind of attention and praise that it deserved all along.
The one song of his I keep going back to again and again, is "Thirteen". It's just this unspeakably beautiful, wonderfully nostalgiac ode to that time in your life before you had to worry about things like money and responsibility, and how an adolescent crush seemed like the most important thing in the world.
It also hints at the ways in which adult relationships share more in common with the flailing around in the dark you did when you were thirteen and convinced you were in love than you'd probably like to admit.

It's about one person in the relationship trying harder than the other

Won't you let me walk you home from school
Won't you let me meet you at the pool
Maybe Friday I can
Get tickets for the dance
And I'll take you

It's about trying to find common ground with, and desperately bargaining for acceptance from, your partner's parents, even if all you have to work with is the mutual admiration of a Rolling Stones' song

Won't you tell your dad "Get off my back"
Tell him what we said 'bout 'Paint It Black'

It's about the redemptive potential of music, and having a space to retreat to when it all comes crashing down

Rock 'n' roll is here to stay
Come inside now it's okay

And finally it's about that last gasp bid to salvage it all, and the acceptance that you're likely to come up short

Won't you tell me what you're thinking of
And would you be an outlaw for my love?
If it's so then let me know
If it's "no", well, I can go
I won't make you

Status
Not open for further replies.