AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Streamate: how to use the HD encoder

• Thread starter Deleted member 8603
  • Start date
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 8603

(to those who also know how to use the encoder, feel free to improve on anything I did wrong or was unclear about!)
First, here are the reference photos.
QJhwnVu.png

5T0Ctu4.png

bCvkk3Z.png

zTsamnP.png

It's best to look at these pictures separately, in order, while reading the posts on them.

PICTURE ONE TAB 1

This is your main tab. It's how you set up your camera.

1-Device. This is where you choose which camera you will be using. Make sure it is on the proper one before continuing.

2-Format. This should always he H.264. There is no real need to know anything beyond that, its just the format that streamate uses.

3-Frame Rate. A video is just, really, a bunch of pictures that are taken per second and shown back to back. The higher the frame rate, the more "pictures" it takes. Never go above 29.97, as streamate doesn't support frame rates above that, but you should always try for the highest you can with your connection and computer.

4-Input size. This is generally where people go wrong. Your input size is the size of the video feed you are putting INTO the encoder from your camera.

5-Bit Rate and Output size. These affect how the OUTCOME of your camera's quality will be AFTER going through the encoder. Try for the highest bit rate you can without your feed skipping or messing up. Most people will use 800kbps. The output size is the size of the video that people will see. Try to, if at all possible, match it to your input size so the encoder isn't doing more work than it has to.

6-Audio. Same as the video, you have to choose your correct device. From there, you must use the audio settings that streamate supports. You can copy these settings.

7-Stream area. Here is where you will copy paste the FMS url and the Stream from Streamate's popup. Make sure that "Stream to Flash Media Server is checked.

8-Auto adjust.
Streamate usually says to click this, but I don't, and here is why. Auto adjust is made to change the quality of your feed depending on how fast your speed is going. Which means if it misreads your speeds, it can make your feed skip or lower in quality. I ONLY recommend using this if you don't care too much about your placement dropping or if you have a VERY unsteady speed.

9-Save to file area. In this area, you can RECORD AND SAVE your feed WHILE you are live. This is great for making videos, but must be clibked BEFORE you start your stream.

TAB 2a

10- This is your encoding log. It will tell you when you logged in, out, etc. You can often watch changes in it to see if you're having a feed issue, as It will try to reconnect repeatedly in these cases, and show in the log.

11- This is your current, right now, at this moment, streaming information. It shows your audio and video info.

12-Duration is the amount of time you have been online streaming, pretty self explanatory. Great for helping keep up with when you take breaks, knowing how long a show has been, etc.

13-Bit rate. Remember how on tab 1 we chose a bitrate? This is what your current one is at. It should be at or above what you chose it to be in tab 1. This means if you chose 800kbps, it should always be that number or higher.

14-FPS (input). This is much like bit rate in that it is just a current showing of what your encoder is going. Remember how we chose how many "pictures" we wanted per second in tab 1? This is a current showing of how smooth your camera is going and how many "pictures" per second are happening. This number specifically shows the input of frames per second.

15-Drops. This will show how many frames, or "pictures" are dropped by the auto adjust from tab 1. Do not worry about it if you are not using auto adjust.

16-FPS (output)This is the same as the input of frames per second, but instead, its what is coming OUT of the encoder.

17-Average. This is the same as your current table, except it is an average of the entire time you've been online. Read it exactly the same way.

TAB 2B

Tab 2B is very important, it can tell how how your quality is doing. Ever had to ask your room if you're freezing/lagging? This can help you figure it out before you even ask!

18-Bandwidth. This is the speed that your feed is using.

19-Buffer. Ever had a video on youtube stop to buffer? If you have anything other than zero, then your viewers are experiencing a version of this. If you have ANY buffer at all, it is a problem. It means your feed is skipping/lagging. The only way to fix this is to lower your settings or find the issue with your computer/isp. It means if you are skipping/lagging, that the problem is very likely not from streamate's end. Pay attention to this number often. It is one of the most important parts of troubleshooting an issue.

20-Frame drops. This is the amount of "pictures" or frames that are being done away with. If this number is over zero, you're having skips. The larger the number, the more you're skipping. Lower your quality settings or unclick AUTO adjust.

Thanks, Chelle!

Why can't I select 854×480 or 864×480 for input size? I'm using a Logitech C920 on a MacBook Pro.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 6.49.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 6.49.17 PM.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 246
WinkingDaisys said:
So how do you record...ive tried and I seem to be doing something wrong. So how do you do it with the encoder?
*I think* there is a post processing tool you must run to convert the recorded files into a format that can be opened and edited in your video editing software of choice.

Reactions: WinkingDaisys
Can anyone help me with their Mac Settings for SM? I have tried the above and for some reason last night everything was fine, but today it has been seriously lagging. I'm so sad about this. It's not my internet. I cannot figure it out.

Is there any super obvious reason that when I use the encoder Im not showing as HD when I look myself up but without the encoder I usually show up as HD? I want the ability to be picked for tv and they dont if you arent using the encoder...

Having a problem... when I try to stream it says my output file name and tags hve same file name us I% to stop this from happening... what do I do? I am so lost... SM sucks with help and when I look for answers there is nothing!

I am going to keep looking for answers or a encoder that works for me since SM is my one and only now just so ARG with it lately

Any issues with CPU usage? I've got a mid 2014 MBP (specs available upon request), but when I'm trying to use the FMLE encoder, I peak at around 300% CPU usage, and it also impacts my stream quality (and therefore my placement).

I've tried using OBS, but for some reason can't get it to connect to stream, even though I've done a great job of mirroring the settings.

I *think* I could fix the problem using x264, but can't see a way to use that codec with FMLE. This is getting really frustrating, and I'd really appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. Thank you!!!

Reactions: K_Luxxe
So, this looks like it was a newbie mistake... I'm upgrading my cam to an HDMI out capable one, and am getting a HD capture device... I think the issue was actually the decompress / recompress of h.264. I'll update when it gets here!

Reactions: K_Luxxe
Any issues with CPU usage? I've got a mid 2014 MBP (specs available upon request), but when I'm trying to use the FMLE encoder, I peak at around 300% CPU usage, and it also impacts my stream quality (and therefore my placement).

I've tried using OBS, but for some reason can't get it to connect to stream, even though I've done a great job of mirroring the settings.

I *think* I could fix the problem using x264, but can't see a way to use that codec with FMLE. This is getting really frustrating, and I'd really appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. Thank you!!!

This might not be the answer to your question, but just my own personal account of dealing with CPU useage.
I work with a studio, and we have 3 cam rooms. The owners have actually had to replace two of the cpu/processors in our towers because this new HD streaming really does a number on the CPU useage. You really want an Intel i7 at minimum.

I was camming from home also before the HD encoder, with a newer Dell Laptop and 100 MBPS download cable internet, but after the HD encoder, my CPU useage was just too high. We ended up building a new machine for about 1k, and now with the streammate encoder my CPU is about 20-40% at any given time. Anything higher than 70-80%, we are learning (myself and studio) that it's just too much for the machine, and it makes your stream look like SHIT... and also effects your ratings on SM. So good luck.

I am newer at camming, and not a computer nerd, so please anyone correct me if my experiences are off. Feel free to ask questions. Trying to be more of a regular on ACF.

They have updated the newer "Streammate" encoder vs. the HD encoder.. And the streammate encoder is actually HD also,,, so that's what I'm going with.... I don't even have the HD Encoder anymore... just the streammate one.

Status
Not open for further replies.