AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Sucker Punch

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACFFAN69

V.I.P. AmberLander
Aug 19, 2014
Twitter Username
@ACFFAN69
MFC Username
Belial_D
I know it's "older" movie (2011) but personally I think it's horribly underrated. At first glance it seems incredibly shallow but when examined the storyline is incredibly deep. At worst I think anyone that watches it can admit it's a fun movie with an incredible soundtrack.

I mainly made this post though because I've put a lot of thought into the movie and thought I fully understood it, but I just read a post about it that really made me rethink what the true meaning was. I actually really like this posters interpretation:

Beyond the obvious layering of fantasies in making the asylum a brothel to cope with the rape going on in the asylum, there is much more to the movie.

I've always gone back and forth on whether or not all the girls are an aspect of Babydolls imagination/personality or if there are two girls (Babydoll and Sweetpea) and the girls are disassociated identities of SweetPea's. I was pretty convinced it was the latter, but this post has made me totally reconsider:

article_by_Xen11 said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0978764/boa ... /239294931

"When walking into the asylum, Baby Doll (M. Rease) displaced herself onto that girl sitting on the bed and imagined herself as her. Sweet Pea was Baby Doll's Courage and her courage was the star of the show, her escape from her physical self, her courage within her to overcome the guilt of her sister and to escape through that character that she created. Sweet Pea is her creation and she used that girl as a template. It's the same with the other girls, they are just models for the parts of Baby Doll.

Baby Doll, Sweet Pea, Rocket, Blondie, Amber
are all aspects of that one girl (M. Rease) (you)
because you displaced yourself onto that one girl when the curtains opened.
You used her as a model to project yourself on, to escape this reality.

Rocket is innocence.
Amber is loyalty.
Blondie is fear.
Baby Doll is the physical self.
Sweet Pea is courage.

Innocence is killed.
Loyalty shattered.
Fear falls away.
Physical self is lobotomized.
All that's left is Courage.

At the very end, the physical self is defeated (Baby Doll) but the courage of the mind (Sweet Pea) lives on. And that's what this movie is saying, that it's you who holds yourself back, you determine what you are afraid of, you are capable of escaping whatever prison you are in, take the courage from your mind, from this fantasy you create, and fight.

As seen when the stepfather puts her name on the patient form: M. Rease
M. Rease = Memories = Mind Erase

Madame Gorski mentioned that M. Rease helped another patient to ... escape.
Maybe the other patient she helped to "escape" is you.

You > BabyDoll > SweetPea > You

You displaced yourself onto BabyDoll.
As BabyDoll you displaced yourself onto SweetPea to further escape within the fantasy world(s) of the film.
At the end, SweetPea, the voice of Courage, speaks to you, encouraging you to take control of your reality.

The start of the movie is like you closing your eyes and then opening to a flash of theater lights. When the curtain opens, you see a faceless protagonist, that you zoom in on and swing around to see what the face of the mask will look like that you don. That later transfers to SweetPea. The last thing seen is the swing around to the back of your latest mask and she is moving away. Cut to black, 'closing your eyes', and the last voice reminding you who's story it is. You open your eyes back in your reality.
This is your story.

It's a two way mirror.
On one side, there is you.
On the other, Sweet Pea.
You both look into the mirror and see BabyDoll.
(Though you can interchange the three)
But its all the same, just different masks of a psyche.
Eventually the mirror shatters and you are left all alone with courage.

(I also created Dark Side Of The Sucker Punch.)
I encourage people to experience the film in its many ways: With that album as the audio combined with the visual storytelling. https://vimeo.com/59223101 (Whole other story about that.)

Also focusing on the audio {dialogue and music}. Listening to Madam Gorski lead you into the therapy session(s).

Listening to the official Sucker Punch soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvW-biqz8yM Each track is an escape, a melody to fall into a reverie; a therapy session. An anthem to inspire and encourage.

http://sciencefictionworld.com/films/sc ... t-two.html

The two way mirror should be noted, as you can see the perspective from BabyDoll and/or SweetPea. Two sides of a mirror. They are parts of a psyche (you). Zack Snyder is the Madam Gorski of your reality. Both perspectives are written in the link above. Gerard Wood wrote from Sweet Pea's perspective. Under that in the comments section, I shared my perspective from BabyDoll. I also love what AshleyRI wrote as it adds to Mr. Wood's write-up.

The monarch article above http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/ ... -sexy-7-2/ is also important to understand the hidden meaning in the style of the film.

An extremely layered film: from the sexual suggestive imagery in the fantasies that imply what's happening in one layer of reality to the meta-psychological displacement happening to the viewer (if they are willing to be a participant and not a gawking idiot in the audience that dismisses the film as nothing more than eye candy), the therapeutic nature between doctor (director) and patient (viewer), the levels of ascension (enlightenment) in Buddhism philosophy, the commentary on how society (the asylum) treats people (patients), the cry for help and reassurance that you're not alone, the empowerment to help others, the voice whispering to fight."

This is very interesting, I had read that vigilant citizen article before and it was like suddenly the whole movie made sense to me (I had watched it quite a while ago though). I remember when I first watched it I was expecting something way different than it actually is and I couldn't pin point the meaning of what I was watching. Everything looked so gorgeous but felt so wrong. Thanks for posting, this goes way in depth and seems very well analyzed and interpreted.

If anyone ever wants to see what she was experiencing from an outside point of view, just google multiple personality disorder and the effects severe and prolonged trauma can have on the mind. If you're up for a wild ride, research monarch mind control.

MayaEden said:
If you're up for a wild ride, research monarch mind control.

I rarely actually consider trigger warnings, but Monarch programming and MK-Ultra definitely deserve to have that attached to it!
What the CIA did to those poor inmates in Montreal should have had people thrown in jail. The court settlement money just isn't enough. $100,000 for a lifetime of terror is criminal. The assholes who actually took part in it got away with no punishment.

Reactions: MayaEden
I do like the movie, but I don't think there's any fan theory out there that's going to make that story any less of a hot mess than it is. But, hey, theories like this are fun because they endeavor to add meaning to it, and turn it into something interesting. That's the great thing about art -- it's a dialogue between creator and audience.

The thing that gets me about Sucker Punch is that I think it really did have some groundbreaking action sequences. All of the fantasy sequences display some really beautiful and imaginative work on Snyder's part. Yet, it all gets dismissed out of hand by most people because Snyder had wrapped it up in such a convoluted shit show of a narrative. It'd be cool to make a recut version that just takes out the asylum bits completely, and turns it all into a fast-paced fever dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.