AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

the hunger games

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydenrainey

Inactive Cam Model
Aug 30, 2010
so admittedly i kept hearing about the hunger games everywhere on the internet and from friends too so i was verrrry late on this bandwagon. i got all three books and ate two and a half of them up in two days. so good. im gonna go see the movie when i get paid tomorrow.
anyone else obsessed? btw im about half a book out from finishing the entire series so no end of series spoilers please! im hoping katniss makes a decision gale or peeta cause its driving me crazy.

I felt like the whole 'love-triangle' angle was slightly juvenile...although I guess these are primarily books for teenagers right? I did enjoy them, maybe I'm just a bit cynical but that felt a bit twilight-esque to me.

In the end it also kinda felt like she traded one shitty authoritarian govt for another.

I'm glad how she asked about no at the end spoilers and the first comment is "Well in the end it felt like..." So that's fun

I was late on this bandwagon mostly because up until I started giving plasma I never read anything that didn't have pictures in it. I started talking about books with some nurses there and this trilogy was suggested to me when I was very close to my last book and I wanted something good to read. It wasn't until I saw the trailer for the movie that my interest was peaked and decided to give it a try. It is a fast fun read, it grabbed my attention where I can finish four chapters in one sitting when giving plasma and before I know it it's time to go. The book prior to this I would zone out, bored, have to re-read things because I couldn't remember what happened two pages prior and had no idea what was going on.

As for the movie- I wish they spent more time developing her relationship with Rue more than anything, that moment could and should have been more emotional than it was, but my friend who didn't read the book had no issues with the movie and really enjoyed it.

I don't know how this compares to twilight. Granted I never read any of the books or seen any of the movies because of how that author took a shit on the mythology of vampires and werewolves along with how the acting from the trailers alone looked pitiful. Or is the only connection that can be made is a love triangle among young adults- when did that become synonymous with twilight? Because that's been going on for well...a lot longer than Twilight has been around.

Jaydenrainey said:
so admittedly i kept hearing about the hunger games everywhere on the internet and from friends too so i was verrrry late on this bandwagon. i got all three books and ate two and a half of them up in two days. so good. im gonna go see the movie when i get paid tomorrow.
anyone else obsessed? btw im about half a book out from finishing the entire series so no end of series spoilers please! im hoping katniss makes a decision gale or peeta cause its driving me crazy.

I really enjoyed the trilogy. I think I liked Catching Fire the best, although it is a hard decision since you can't have that one with out the first. Very similar situation to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I liked the second one, The Girl Who Played With Fire, the best. Great books, by the way.

Did you finish Mockingjay yet? We'll have to talk. :)

SweepTheLeg said:
I'm glad how she asked about no at the end spoilers and the first comment is "Well in the end it felt like..." So that's fun

I was late on this bandwagon mostly because up until I started giving plasma I never read anything that didn't have pictures in it. I started talking about books with some nurses there and this trilogy was suggested to me when I was very close to my last book and I wanted something good to read. It wasn't until I saw the trailer for the movie that my interest was peaked and decided to give it a try. It is a fast fun read, it grabbed my attention where I can finish four chapters in one sitting when giving plasma and before I know it it's time to go. The book prior to this I would zone out, bored, have to re-read things because I couldn't remember what happened two pages prior and had no idea what was going on.

As for the movie- I wish they spent more time developing her relationship with Rue more than anything, that moment could and should have been more emotional than it was, but my friend who didn't read the book had no issues with the movie and really enjoyed it.

I don't know how this compares to twilight. Granted I never read any of the books or seen any of the movies because of how that author took a shit on the mythology of vampires and werewolves along with how the acting from the trailers alone looked pitiful. Or is the only connection that can be made is a love triangle among young adults- when did that become synonymous with twilight? Because that's been going on for well...a lot longer than Twilight has been around.
Well what I said isn't really a spoiler if she's half a book away from the end but actually I thought she said she was half a book away so didn't care about spoilers - my bad.

I dunno if the love triangle is the only thing in common with twilight, I haven't seen or read those either. It just made it seem slightly teenager-y to me; the lovestruck girl unable to decide between the blonde good-guy or the dashing outlaw :roll:

Not saying it made it bad...but it just made me imagine what books for teenage girls and/or romance novels must have for plot points, because all the other books I read mostly have nothing to do with love or having to choose between two guys lol.

I finished the third book the other day, and I do not think the love triangle played a big part in the story. I am also going to ignore the epilogue from the last book as well. It felt tacked on, and the drastic change in tone from the main story screams dream to me.

Reactions: DrRex
Shaun__ said:
...the epilogue from the last book as well. It felt tacked on, and the drastic change in tone from the main story screams dream to me.
I agree. It felt like it was written as an afterthought because "oh yeah, they probably wanna know what happened with such and such, huh? I better explain..." I would have appreciated a good couple of chapters dedicated to that with some detailed imagery of how things were after that point. Wouldn't that have been better?

I'll have finished the first book by next week. I'd be done with the entire series if I read more than twice a week giving plasma. Such a quick read.

AmberCutie said:
Shaun__ said:
...the epilogue from the last book as well. It felt tacked on, and the drastic change in tone from the main story screams dream to me.
I agree. It felt like it was written as an afterthought because "oh yeah, they probably wanna know what happened with such and such, huh? I better explain..." I would have appreciated a good couple of chapters dedicated to that with some detailed imagery of how things were after that point. Wouldn't that have been better?

i finished the last book and i agree. a tiny paragraph to sum up the main love story was a little weak. i thought it was great writing up until that point where it was like huh?

Reactions: DrRex
AmberCutie said:
Shaun__ said:

Amen to that. I didn't care for that at all. It seemed rushed. It seemed like the book was being written normally, with great care and attention, then the publishers said "hey, we need the final manuscript tomorrow" and so it was resolved with a quick epilogue. I usually don't like Hollywood messing around with books, but this is one where I won't mind too much if they embellish a bit on the ending.

Jaydenrainey said:
AmberCutie said:
Shaun__ said:

i finished the last book and i agree. a tiny paragraph to sum up the main love story was a little weak. i thought it was great writing up until that point where it was like huh?

I felt the same way.

So which did you like better...the first or second book?

DrRex said:
Jaydenrainey said:
AmberCutie said:
Shaun__ said:

I felt the same way.

i prefer the first book to the second buttt despite its rushed ending the third book is my favorite of the series.

Jupiter551 said:
Well what I said isn't really a spoiler if she's half a book away from the end but actually I thought she said she was half a book away so didn't care about spoilers - my bad.

I dunno if the love triangle is the only thing in common with twilight, I haven't seen or read those either. It just made it seem slightly teenager-y to me; the lovestruck girl unable to decide between the blonde good-guy or the dashing outlaw :roll:

Not saying it made it bad...but it just made me imagine what books for teenage girls and/or romance novels must have for plot points, because all the other books I read mostly have nothing to do with love or having to choose between two guys lol.

Honestly - this bugs me. We here have two series of books that you haven't read, both "young adult" and both involving a love triangle - and you automatically pair them both together as being the same thing???

As someone who has read both series I can confidently say that you are completely off! Twilight is a romance novel, the love between her and Edward and the triangle with Jacob is the main focus of the story. The Hunger Games is a story about rebellion, of revolution from oppression and taking your fate into your own hands. It is also a reflection of media and the way our world is moving towards a media controlled society where all is fair in the name of entertainment. The Hunger Games is not a love story, though it does involve love - big difference!

Edit: And for the record - Katniss is NOT lovestruck! Far from it! If anything she is socially awkward to the brink of being emotionally handicapped, she has a really hard time even understanding love!

AliceDoe said:
As someone who has read both series I can confidently say that you are completely off! Twilight is a romance novel, the love between her and Edward and the triangle with Jacob is the main focus of the story.

I still think Bella was way too boring to be the main character. Edward and Jacob should have both ditched her, and had a truly forbidden love affair.

Shaun__ said:
AliceDoe said:
As someone who has read both series I can confidently say that you are completely off! Twilight is a romance novel, the love between her and Edward and the triangle with Jacob is the main focus of the story.

I still think Bella was way too boring to be the main character. Edward and Jacob should have both ditched her, and had a truly forbidden love affair.

Haha, yes, Bella is way too blah to attract such attention from those yummy guys (Taylor Lautner, OMG!) and it would have been really funny if it had suddenly turned gay-vampire-werewolf sexy :p

AliceDoe said:
Jupiter551 said:

Honestly - this bugs me. We here have two series of books that you haven't read, both "young adult" and both involving a love triangle - and you automatically pair them both together as being the same thing???

As someone who has read both series I can confidently say that you are completely off! Twilight is a romance novel, the love between her and Edward and the triangle with Jacob is the main focus of the story. The Hunger Games is a story about rebellion, of revolution from oppression and taking your fate into your own hands. It is also a reflection of media and the way our world is moving towards a media controlled society where all is fair in the name of entertainment. The Hunger Games is not a love story, though it does involve love - big difference!

Edit: And for the record - Katniss is NOT lovestruck! Far from it! If anything she is socially awkward to the brink of being emotionally handicapped, she has a really hard time even understanding love!
I have read the hunger games trilogy. I agree it is about those things, though I think a major theme is that the oppressed can very easily become the oppressors. I just got tired of the whole will-she-or-won't-she Peeta/Gale thing :dontknow:

My favorite thing that my friend said during the movie "I can't wait for District 9 to show up in their mech suit and just start slaughtering eeeeeeeveryone"

Jaydenrainey said:
DrRex said:
Jaydenrainey said:
AmberCutie said:
Shaun__ said:

I felt the same way.

i prefer the first book to the second buttt despite its rushed ending the third book is my favorite of the series.

That is cool. I like the second the best. They are all great reads, though.

SweepTheLeg said:
My favorite thing that my friend said during the movie "I can't wait for District 9 to show up in their mech suit and just start slaughtering eeeeeeeveryone"

Hahaha!!!

I did enjoy that Peeta's family were bakers.....Peeta.....bread.....pita bread. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.