AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Tipping faux pas'?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2015
I'm new and I don't want to make mistakes. Is there any faux pas' I should be worried about with regards to tipping?

I know I am asking a general question, so I am also including my experience below. Am I going about it wrong? Right?

I almost exclusively offline tip. I am very busy and don't often find time to join rooms. What I have done is for models I like, I purchase their content (videos and photos) offline and try to also get the snapchat. What I then do is I try once a day to send a tip with a comment on something they either said on Twitter or saying something about how I enjoyed the snapchat. Of course, I try to interact when I can via Twitter, but I feel since I can't join rooms often that I need to send tips offline with comments.

Is that okay? I'm sure if the model was annoyed they would say something, right? What are your thoughts on this? Someone who isn't very active, but tries to be active offline.

On another note, is there anything I can read to help a new tipper? I know that probably sounds nerdy, but I want to be respectful. You may have been able to tell by this post, but I'm not the best socially so I try to read and learn.

Also, one last thing. What about an influx of tips? As someone new I've been looking for favourites (I hope that isn't bad to say) so I've been spreading a lot of tips around, but one model in particular I've been sending a lot of tips and even PayPal. I didn't realize it, but looking back, the total over the last week or so is high. I personally don't mind, but is that a faux pas? Should I not show up out of no where and go a little crazy? Do models want you to be a "regular" so to speak before getting a lot?

I hope this topic is okay. I really want to learn and not screw up.

You're giving them money. Most models are not going to complain. If they do, find a new model.

Reactions: FelixTheCat
You sounds like a great tipper to be honest! There is nothing wrong with offline tipping especially if you don't have time to be online and just want videos. I'm sure those models would rather have someone buy their video offline rather than not at all. The extra tips for liking snaps are actually pretty sweet, there are a lot of members who don't do that.

As a model, the only thing that generally irks me about an actual tipper is if they are getting possessive or are trying to guilt trip me by tipping big. Thankfully most have not been like that. There was one guy last year who sent several 1000 tips in a row after I already said no to something to something. Don't do that. Camgirls are humans, not vending machines. Also if a certain model doesn't want to do something, there's probably someone else out there who will.

It doesn't annoy me if someone doesn't check my profile for a tip menu first, when someone does, it really is quite nice! Models who spend a lot of time of their profiles do so for a reason!

Another tipping faux pas is that some think that they shouldn't tip a model because they are just chatting. It's generally courteous to tip models, even just a small amount if that's all you can afford, no matter what the reason as they are giving you their time.

I can't speak for the models, but I would assume that they appreciate that you're tipping rather than just asking for free shit.

You're giving them money. Most models are not going to complain. If they do, find a new model.

This is what I was hoping and thinking, but then I got to start over thinking and thought about stuff like do people appreciate random money/tip? Is it rude? I'm glad to see it would be more of an appreciation than rude.

You sounds like a great tipper to be honest! There is nothing wrong with offline tipping especially if you don't have time to be online and just want videos. I'm sure those models would rather have someone buy their video offline rather than not at all. The extra tips for liking snaps are actually pretty sweet, there are a lot of members who don't do that.

As a model, the only thing that generally irks me about an actual tipper is if they are getting possessive or are trying to guilt trip me by tipping big. Thankfully most have not been like that. There was one guy last year who sent several 1000 tips in a row after I already said no to something to something. Don't do that. Camgirls are humans, not vending machines. Also if a certain model doesn't want to do something, there's probably someone else out there who will.

It doesn't annoy me if someone doesn't check my profile for a tip menu first, when someone does, it really is quite nice! Models who spend a lot of time of their profiles do so for a reason!

Another tipping faux pas is that some think that they shouldn't tip a model because they are just chatting. It's generally courteous to tip models, even just a small amount if that's all you can afford, no matter what the reason as they are giving you their time.

Thank you for the tips!

I definitely will never pester someone. That sounds wrong and very awkward. Like you said, if they say no, you can probably find someone else. Speaking of that and your profile comment, if something isn't on the profile, is it okay to ask? Say custom photos, for example. Is it okay to ask once? If you get a no, you would drop the subject. Or is that a faux pas? If it's not in the profile, don't try to prod around?

For your last point, I'm glad to hear you say that. I kind of try to do that in my own way offline. I try to respond and comment on Twitter and tip offline once I get the chance to login to the site. That is similar to what you mean, right? Chat and have a good time, just don't forget to show appreciation?

This is what I was hoping and thinking, but then I got to start over thinking and thought about stuff like do people appreciate random money/tip? Is it rude? I'm glad to see it would be more of an appreciation than rude.

Thank you for the tips!

I definitely will never pester someone. That sounds wrong and very awkward. Like you said, if they say no, you can probably find someone else. Speaking of that and your profile comment, if something isn't on the profile, is it okay to ask? Say custom photos, for example. Is it okay to ask once? If you get a no, you would drop the subject. Or is that a faux pas? If it's not in the profile, don't try to prod around?

For your last point, I'm glad to hear you say that. I kind of try to do that in my own way offline. I try to respond and comment on Twitter and tip offline once I get the chance to login to the site. That is similar to what you mean, right? Chat and have a good time, just don't forget to show appreciation?

Random tips are not rude. :) Most girls are going to be super appreciate of any tips if the person is being nice.

If something isn't on a profile, most models are probably not going to have an issue with someone asking if they would do something not listed. It's best to phrase it as "How much would it be for you to do x" since it shows an indication that you'd like to tip for it. Sending a PM is also a good way to ask if you aren't sure. Sometimes someone will tip a small amount (5-10 tokens) and ask how much it would be to do something in a private tip note, that is generally very courteous. As a model, if I am getting a bunch of requests at once, I will answer the one who tipped.

I do have to point out that every model is different, and will have their own standards of courtesy. Example, some don't like dirty talk at all in their room, not even in tip notes. Some don't mind dirty talk, but don't want it visible in their chat room to other members, and of course there are some who don't mind dirty talk at all.

Thank you for the tips!For your last point, I'm glad to hear you say that. I kind of try to do that in my own way offline. I try to respond and comment on Twitter and tip offline once I get the chance to login to the site. That is similar to what you mean, right? Chat and have a good time, just don't forget to show appreciation?
Is your twitter the same as your tipping account? If not you should make sure it is, or let her know what it is in the tip note.
Based on things I've seen posted here and on twitter itself, it can be somewhat demoralizing for a model to have the majority of the people hitting her up on twitter as non-tippers. I think it's important to show them that at least some of their followers there support them.

Well, the fact that you are asking for advice on how not to be awkward already means you care so that is good. It is also great when a guy gets it... When he gets that he can support me seamlessly offline as well as on cam. Offline tips are a great way to start a relationship because they leave a great first impression especially if they are "just because" tips.

The only thing you should keep in mind is the last question you asked: if you start tipping someone big off the bat you need to understand that the model will be surprised and really excited to have you. If you are only testing the waters and you will move on shortly she might feel disappointed and resent you if you start visiting/tipping less (crazy, I know, but managing expectations can be difficult at times)

Is your twitter the same as your tipping account? If not you should make sure it is, or let her know what it is in the tip note.
Based on things I've seen posted here and on twitter itself, it can be somewhat demoralizing for a model to have the majority of the people hitting her up on twitter as non-tippers. I think it's important to show them that at least some of their followers there support them.
Yeah, it's super confusing when people have different handles on and off MFC. :rofl:

My only suggestion would be to remember that just because you can't be online as much, doesn't mean she wasn't either. Just keep in mind that a models offline time is her offline time, and try not to swamp her TOO much with offline messages. :)
I don't think a single model alive would have a problem with the way you like to tip.

The main tipping faux paus is to tip without knowing the context of the room.
Tips while she's in private are just intrusive, if you're not the one who took her private.
Tip a yellow wall while she's telling the story of her cat's death last night, that's gonna be a problem.

Offline tips are loved.
I think some more curious models would be driven crazy wondering 'who is this guy'. But they'll get over it.

There's only really one tip I've made that I felt was a "faux pas" and it was because of an interaction with another member and not the model. The model was running a thing where the daily high tipper was recognized and I tipped one over someone else who had tipped a significant amount. To make it a little worse I taunted them slightly in the tip note (they had a sports team logo as their avatar, I root for the rival team, that kind of thing).

There was no real reason for me to tip that way. I could have done it another day and I certainly didn't need the taunt. I meant it in a friendly way but it didn't come off like that to the other guy. In some rooms and with some members that might have been perfectly fine. If I had known the other member it might have been fine. Ever since, however, I've been a little careful when tipping publicly about the nature of the room and the members in it, and also when tipping around others larger tips.

Random tips are not rude. :) Most girls are going to be super appreciate of any tips if the person is being nice.

If something isn't on a profile, most models are probably not going to have an issue with someone asking if they would do something not listed. It's best to phrase it as "How much would it be for you to do x" since it shows an indication that you'd like to tip for it. Sending a PM is also a good way to ask if you aren't sure. Sometimes someone will tip a small amount (5-10 tokens) and ask how much it would be to do something in a private tip note, that is generally very courteous. As a model, if I am getting a bunch of requests at once, I will answer the one who tipped.

I do have to point out that every model is different, and will have their own standards of courtesy. Example, some don't like dirty talk at all in their room, not even in tip notes. Some don't mind dirty talk, but don't want it visible in their chat room to other members, and of course there are some who don't mind dirty talk at all.

Thank you for the good points! Tipping while asking for something not on the profile sounds like a very good way to go about it. I imagine it's more rude to make requests without showing that you are good with tipping.

I completely understand that each model will have their own standards. While this thread will give me good general advice, not everyone will be along the same lines. My hope is that with general advice I will upset no one or at the very least upset the least amount of people.

Jeez, I didn't even think of that! My Twitter is different even my username here is different. One model knows my Twitter as we continue a few times from Twitter to the webcam site, but most probably don't. I will take your advice and let them know!

Well, the fact that you are asking for advice on how not to be awkward already means you care so that is good. It is also great when a guy gets it... When he gets that he can support me seamlessly offline as well as on cam. Offline tips are a great way to start a relationship because they leave a great first impression especially if they are "just because" tips.

The only thing you should keep in mind is the last question you asked: if you start tipping someone big off the bat you need to understand that the model will be surprised and really excited to have you. If you are only testing the waters and you will move on shortly she might feel disappointed and resent you if you start visiting/tipping less (crazy, I know, but managing expectations can be difficult at times)

Most tips will be "just because", but because I don't get the chance to be online much I do purchase content as well. I'm glad to hear that the offline approach isn't a bad one.

I really should have asked for advice before hand. For the most part, I haven't been going crazy, but that one model is an exception to that. I definitely have done a lot out of know where. I hope I didn't set expectations too high! I think it would be rude to explain that it won't stay crazy, so I'll just have to hope that I didn't set the bar too high. I don't plan on dropping out of sight, but definitely can't continue.

I definitely will take your advice from now on. I never thought about the frequency/amount and how that would affect things.

Yeah, it's super confusing when people have different handles on and off MFC. :rofl:

Would you recommend changing my MFC name to match or just inform models of the difference? I imagine it would be confusing if I change my MFC name, though it may already be confusing already. :)

My only suggestion would be to remember that just because you can't be online as much, doesn't mean she wasn't either. Just keep in mind that a models offline time is her offline time, and try not to swamp her TOO much with offline messages. :)
I don't think a single model alive would have a problem with the way you like to tip.

I will definitely try to remember that. When you get tips offline, does it notify you who it is from? I'm wondering if it would be okay to inform the model that if they see something from me, they don't have to respond immediately or even same day. Would that be something you would appreciate or does it not really matter? I completely understand that models have a life off-cam. I would hate if I infringed on that in anyway. I definitely don't want to tip with the expectation of immediate interaction.

The main tipping faux paus is to tip without knowing the context of the room.
Tips while she's in private are just intrusive, if you're not the one who took her private.
Tip a yellow wall while she's telling the story of her cat's death last night, that's gonna be a problem.

Offline tips are loved.
I think some more curious models would be driven crazy wondering 'who is this guy'. But they'll get over it.

Thank you for the good tips! Context is definitely a good idea to pay attention to. Your examples would be completely rude and I would definitely want to avoid that. The key here, I guess, is paying attention to the situation.

There's only really one tip I've made that I felt was a "faux pas" and it was because of an interaction with another member and not the model. The model was running a thing where the daily high tipper was recognized and I tipped one over someone else who had tipped a significant amount. To make it a little worse I taunted them slightly in the tip note (they had a sports team logo as their avatar, I root for the rival team, that kind of thing).

There was no real reason for me to tip that way. I could have done it another day and I certainly didn't need the taunt. I meant it in a friendly way but it didn't come off like that to the other guy. In some rooms and with some members that might have been perfectly fine. If I had known the other member it might have been fine. Ever since, however, I've been a little careful when tipping publicly about the nature of the room and the members in it, and also when tipping around others larger tips.

I didn't even think of that. I think the few times I've been able to join the chat room I've tipped publicly. I'll have to pay attention to that and not mess with the room chemistry.

Oh no I was only talking about the Twitter DMS, or Twitter messages not tip notes. We choose to check our offline tips when we have time.

• Helpful!
I pretty much agree with Swarles. Offline tips are great! It's kind of a way of saying you thought about her even when she wasn't in the online models list right in front of you ;) I just think the only issue is if you expect a response straight away - some models might check their MFC mail regularly, some might not check much at all. Other than that I don't think they'd be offended to get tips.

Thank you for the tips!

Personally this is exactly the most perfect way I'd like members to behave haha. Unless I've specifically already said no to something, I don't mind being asked - especially as I'm new, it'll help me figure out what things people want that I might have to refuse again and should write on my profile that I'm not into, or what things people want that I can do and could maybe advertise. The only thing I think could be considered rude is asking a model to do something that's against the site rules, but even then I would probably just politely refuse and state that it's against the rules (after all, you might not have known it was against the rules) and let that be that, or find a compromise perhaps. I think if you ask once and then drop it if you get a no, you haven't really done wrong.

• Helpful!
Most have said what I was thinking. I don't think I read where anyone's mentioned possibly the worst tipping faux pas I can think of. A tip note saying "If only you were on yesterday! I had tons of tokens to spend then!"

What is read by the then irritated/depressed model:

Tip note: Would've tipped more if you had only read my mind and been on when I happened to be. Yeah I could've scheduled a time with you, or bothered to check your schedule. I'd much rather tell you that I could've spent majillions of tokens on you while you weren't on/able to cam. Misery loves company ya know?! Heck, I probably never even had all those tokens! I just don't want to always seem like I'm a cheap freeloader haha! My cock's super hard for you though! :*

Last edited:
Oh no I was only talking about the Twitter DMS, or Twitter messages not tip notes. We choose to check our offline tips when we have time.

Oh! I understand now. I never DM, as I never ask for a follow back, but I do message/@reply. Usually I never start a message/question. If I need to say something I'll do it via the cam site with a tip. With Twitter it's usually just replying when a model tweets something like "good morning everyone!". That is okay?

Personally this is exactly the most perfect way I'd like members to behave haha. Unless I've specifically already said no to something, I don't mind being asked - especially as I'm new, it'll help me figure out what things people want that I might have to refuse again and should write on my profile that I'm not into, or what things people want that I can do and could maybe advertise. The only thing I think could be considered rude is asking a model to do something that's against the site rules, but even then I would probably just politely refuse and state that it's against the rules (after all, you might not have known it was against the rules) and let that be that, or find a compromise perhaps. I think if you ask once and then drop it if you get a no, you haven't really done wrong.

Thanks for confirming! It's good to see models confirm what others have said as it gives me confidence that the advice is sound.

Most have said what I was thinking. I don't think I read where anyone's mentioned possibly the worst tipping faux pas I can think of. A tip note saying "If only you were on yesterday! I had tons of tokens to spend then!"

What is read by the then irritated/depressed model:

Tip note: Would've tipped more if you had only read my mind and been on when I happened to be. Yeah I could've scheduled a time with you, or bothered to check your schedule. I'd much rather tell you that I could've spent majillions of tokens on you while you weren't on/able to cam. Misery loves company ya know?! Heck, I probably never even had all those tokens! I just don't want to always seem like I'm a cheap freeloader haha! My cock's super hard for you though! :*

Very good point! I was reading a topic on ACF about something similar where the topic was about promises. This sounds similar to making a promise. It's not exactly a promise, but more of a slap to the face. Not making promises and not saying what could have been (and like you said, probably a lie anyway). Don't comment on what you didn't do in the past or what you will do in the future.

Oh! I understand now. I never DM, as I never ask for a follow back, but I do message/@reply. Usually I never start a message/question. If I need to say something I'll do it via the cam site with a tip. With Twitter it's usually just replying when a model tweets something like "good morning everyone!". That is okay?
Oh yes yes of course and very appreciated! :)

Perfect! Thank you again for our reply!

I just want to thank everyone who has responded. I very much appreciate the helpfulness that everyone has shown. I feel I am much better off after reading every response. I hope that I can show the models the same kindness you have showed me.

To be honest, I was second guessing myself on whether to join this forum and post this topic. I am very glad that I went through with posting. Everyone was very open to helping and discussing my questions. Thank you so much!

• Hugs
Reactions: CherryChu and Sansa

If you were tipping because you wanted a particular item, there's nothing wrong with that. Next time just let someone else win. The personal tip note though was definitely a faux pas if you didn't know the other person.

If you were tipping against the other person though, that's definitely not a good idea and a lot worse than just a simple faux pas. In rare cases I might tip against someone else, but only for a very good reason. For example, a certain model once offered a certain prize to her highest tipper. The guy who was winning was a guy I knew she wouldn't be comfortable giving the prize to. So I tipped against him and won. I didn't care for the prize myself and will probably never ask for nor receive it. I just wanted to help out the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.