AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

U.S. Food & Drug Administration Wants To Ban Trans Fats

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefish

I did bad things, privileges revoked!
In the Dog House
Mar 26, 2010
Usually somewhere between flippant and glib.
More nanny nonsense...

If the government wants to assume responsibility for people's diets, I guess people should then be able to sue them if they get high cholesterol? Is a bacon ban next??

What say you about the proposed ban?

The Food and Drug Administration has declared war on trans fats. The government agency said Thursday it would require food makers to gradually phase out artificial trans fats — the artery-clogging ingredient found in crackers, cookies, pizza and many other baked goods.

The change could potentially prevent 20,000 heart attacks a year and 7,000 deaths, said FDA commissioner Margaret Hamburg.

While the amount of trans fats consumed by Americans has dropped dramatically over the last decade, they still “remain an area of significant public health concern,” Hamburg said during a press conference.

Bocefish said:
More nanny nonsense...

If the government wants to assume responsibility for people's diets, I guess people should then be able to sue them if they get high cholesterol? Is a bacon ban next??

What say you about the proposed ban?

The Food and Drug Administration has declared war on trans fats. The government agency said Thursday it would require food makers to gradually phase out artificial trans fats — the artery-clogging ingredient found in crackers, cookies, pizza and many other baked goods.

The change could potentially prevent 20,000 heart attacks a year and 7,000 deaths, said FDA commissioner Margaret Hamburg.

While the amount of trans fats consumed by Americans has dropped dramatically over the last decade, they still “remain an area of significant public health concern,” Hamburg said during a press conference.

If you're going to bold part of that, at bold something that matters. The FDA isn't trying to ban pizza, as your emphasis seems to imply...

They want to GRADUALLY phase out ARTIFICAL trans-fats. Trans fats only exist to be cheaper, longer-lasting alternatives to other products, such as lard, butter, or palm oil. Trans fats occur very rarely in nature.

it's not something anyone will even notice. And fake fats are generally horrible for you. It's a good thing. I'm from NY where it's been illegal for several years where I lived and everywhere nearby, and I wasn't even aware. It's mostly used in take outs and fast food chains.
I've lived in the midwest for about a year where they still use it. Now anytime I eat chinese food or mcdonalds or something I've had more of that "omg I'm dying. I can't move" feeling than I used to. I thought I was just getting older, but apparently it's also the trans fats. Tastes the same, less feeling of impending doom. I'll take it.

No trans fats back home anymore. Yet the food's still better than everywhere else's. :whistle: :shifty:

HollieCakes said:
Well I think looking at obesity stats we can all agree something has to be done so this is better than nothing. I'd rather see them take down the dairy industry :lol: I realize that won't happen in my life time but we can dream right?!

IIRC, NY City's Mayor Bloomberg banned unhealthy trans fats from menus starting in 2007 and obesity rates continue to climb. His brilliant idea in response to that was to also try & ban large sodas. Where does it end? When will the government learn it's NOT their job to control every little aspect of people's lives? It's called freedom of choice and personal responsibility.

Trans fats have nine calories per gram, just like any other fat. No matter what you eat, the key to staying healthy is calories in versus calories out. You can't legislate healthy diets.

:twocents-02cents:

GA1mwra.png

ETA source of poll: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... rans-fats/

Reactions: LadyLuna
Don't get me wrong, I like greasy heart-clogging food as much as the next person. But let's get real, you can make your own pizza from scratch and not only will it probably be healthier, but it'll probably taste better. That goes for just about all foods.

I don't really understand how it works, but, the foods that are currently made with transfats... could they not be made with natural fats? Natural fats may still not be the best for our obesity rates, but I do believe that natural fats have at least some benefit to our bodies, right?

Or can Pizza only be made with fake fat? :think:

Bocefish said:
HollieCakes said:
Well I think looking at obesity stats we can all agree something has to be done so this is better than nothing. I'd rather see them take down the dairy industry :lol: I realize that won't happen in my life time but we can dream right?!

IIRC, NY City's Mayor Bloomberg banned unhealthy trans fats from menus starting in 2007 and obesity rates continue to climb. His brilliant idea in response to that was to also try & ban large sodas. Where does it end? When will the government learn it's NOT their job to control every little aspect of people's lives? It's called freedom of choice and personal responsibility.

Trans fats have nine calories per gram, just like any other fat. No matter what you eat, the key to staying healthy is calories in versus calories out. You can't legislate healthy diets.

Something like that, bloomberg banned it in the boroughs and all the surrounding counties followed the precedent. My point is no matter where I ate in the last or 6 years back there, it didn't exist anymore, and I didn't notice the change in taste. Not once, not ever.
Fatty foods are fatty foods but natural fat is always better for you. Natural fat found in something like an avacado is statistically like a bazillion times better for you than trans fat in a french fry. Actual Stat. :lol:
Butter is healthier than margarine, even though margarine was marketed as healthier.

Actual food is always better for you than a chemical. I like less chemicals, more food. Pick your battles.

AmberCutie said:
I don't really understand how it works, but, the foods that are currently made with transfats... could they not be made with natural fats? Natural fats may still not be the best for our obesity rates, but I do believe that natural fats have at least some benefit to our bodies, right?

Or can Pizza only be made with fake fat? :think:

What I've found about replacement products:

"We developed the canola sunflower program to create new oils that would have novel fatty acid profiles and deliver the needed taste but not require hydrogenation," explained David Dzisak, Global Oils Leader for Dow AgroSciences.

"Therefore, the oils are trans-fat free," Dzisak continued. "We have also been able to develop a lower amount of saturated fat in our canola oil. The amount of saturated fat in them is half of what is found in soybean oil, which is the most widely used oil today."

Partially hydrogenated oil produces trans-fatty acids. During the hydrogenation process, liquid oils become solids as several hydrogen atoms are added to each molecule. Restaurants use the solid oils because they are cheap and have a long shelf life. Critics of trans fats claim they clog arteries and lead to dangerous conditions such as obesity and hypertension.

Scientists' Doubts

Though advocates of the bans say the end is near for trans fats, others say the growing movement to eliminate them isn't scientifically justified.

"The fact that the city of New York banned trans fats and that it's a consideration in Chicago is unreal," said Dr. Elizabeth Whelan, president of the American Council on Science and Health, a consumer-education nonprofit focused on health and lifestyle issues based in Manhattan. "The fact that restaurants can't use a safe, wholesome product to prepare their foods is staggering. We are talking about margarine and cooking oils--not chemicals.

"As a scientist, I get all these letters saying the media is hyping this up, but I don't think it's the media's fault," Whelan continued. "It's the science community's fault. I've talked to a number of scientists who say they know this is wrong but want to stay out of it."

Growing Concern

Whelan said trans fats are no more dangerous than any other calories.

"We need to look at the real causes of heart disease and work with the controllable ones," Whelan said. "Diabetes, high serum cholesterol and bad lipid levels, obesity, smoking, and high blood pressure are controllable causes of heart disease. If you have high cholesterol, you need to be on a statin. Keeping your weight down is another way to handle heart disease.

"The looming obesity problem in our country is very scary, but there is no relation between trans fats and obesity," Whelan continued. "Yet, that has been a major catalyst to this movement against them.
http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-art ... er-obesity

LilyEvans said:
If you're going to bold part of that, at bold something that matters. The FDA isn't trying to ban pizza, as your emphasis seems to imply...

After finally finding a decent pizza joint close to home (which is kind of a mixed blessing for my diet) I don't want anybody messing with their recipe! :p

Truth be told, they use all natural ingredients so it won't affect the taste any. Their pizza tastes just like my home made version and it's about the same price as all the ingredients I buy. Now I want pizza!

You need a certain amount of fat in your diet in order to be healthy. Fats are not bad for you, it's how the fat is processed that determines whether or not it's "healthy" or not.

You get a great amount of "healthy" fat in avocados, fish, vegetable oil, etc.

Trans fat is basically used to prolong the shelf life of an item, which is pretty gnarly if you think about it, which is why I try not to think about it. I like me some carnival food, after all.

I'm not an expert, but that's basically a sum of what I've read over the past couple years. FAT =/= BAD it's really just where it comes from.

HollieCakes said:
What specifically will you be missing that's made with transfat & can't be made with a slightly healthier substitute Boce?
If it really got cut out of everything then your body would start adjusting back to the more natural fats and you would really never notice the difference anyway.

It won't change much of what I eat except for the occasional donut, freedom fries, frozen pizza and microwave popcorn. It's all basically junk food anyway.

It will likely have a big impact on small businesses and farmers. I'm not sure it's worth all the added costs and retooling and certainly don't want the government intruding in people's lives any more than they currently are. Anything consumed too frequently or excessively is potentially dangerous, especially things like salt, bacon, runny eggs, red meat, processed flour, etc. but you don't see the government banning them... YET.

The government can't legislate us from obesity or unhealthy diets. Better choices, better parenting, exercise and personal restraint are the keys.

Some other foods it will impact:

1. Doughnuts: Without trans fats, they may become more oily. Many desserts, like cookies, cakes and doughnuts rely on trans fats to give them a lighter texture. “Only partially hydrogenated oils continue to stay a part of the matrix and don’t exude out of the food,” says Kantha Shelke, a food scientist at Corvus Blue LLC and spokesperson for the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT).

2. Crackers: Trans fats may be replaced by soy bean oil or canola oil.

3. Movie Theater and Microwaveable Popcorn: Popcorn commonly has trans fats, and according to Kristin Kirkpatrick, a wellness manager and registered dietitian at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, we will probably more actual butter may replace the trans fats to maintain that popcorn flavor.

4. Frozen Pizza: Any frozen food with many ingredients can contain trans fats, and some easy swaps could include vegetable oils, but some experts worry about what other additives might be added to achieve the same food preserving features that trans fats had. “We don’t want other additives to make these last longer. Do we really want something in our food that can stay in our pantry for three years?” says Kirkpatrick.

5. Coffee Creamers: Anytime there is cream in a product, you can thank trans fats. “We will probably see more soy bean oil or even some vegetables oils used,” says Kirkpatrick. Some brands, like MimicCreme, achieve their thickness with finely lacerated cashews and almonds.

6. Refrigerated Dough Products: “We will probably see canola oil increase more because we know it has some benefits, and it can be very stable in these products,” says Kirkpatrick, of ready-to-bake biscuits and cinnamon rolls.

7. Canned Frosting: The trans fats may be substituted with lard or vegetable oils.

Even with the FDA’s conclusion that trans fats are no longer recognized as safe, it doesn’t necessarily mean all PHOs will be gone for good. It’s still possible for a company to petition the FDA to prove that a specific use of PHO is safe, under the “reasonable certainty of no harm” FDA safety standard, but this would be quite difficult to prove — and make it harder for companies to justify their use.

What worries some health experts is what the food industry will come up with to replace the trans fats. “That question is the potential devil in the details,” says Dr. Katz. “There are other ways to manipulate fat, and we have to be careful we don’t wind up with another bad invention.”

Read more: 7 Foods That Won’t Be the Same If Trans Fats Are Banned | TIME.com http://healthland.time.com/2013/11/07/7 ... z2k67Bb8T3

This is fucking ridiculous.

Trans fats aren't causing obesity... they might be causing heart disease, but know what causes more heart disease than transfats? A population stressed to the max with no time for exercise.

High fructose corn syrup causes obesity AND a host of other health problems.
Why not ban HFCS... oh right. Corporations make shittonnes of money off it. ._.

About the "American Council on Science and Health".

Yet internal financial documents (read them here) provided to Mother Jones show that ACSH depends heavily on funding from corporations that have a financial stake in the scientific debates it aims to shape. The group also directly solicits donations from these industry sources around specific issues. ACSH's financial links to corporations involved in hot-button health and safety controversies have been highlighted in the past, but these documents offer a more extensive accounting of ACSH's reliance on industry money—giving a rare window into the operations of a prominent and frequent defender of industry in the science wars.

Source:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... undraising

Basically, the ACSH are the nicest scientists money can buy.

This debate is similar to the one about Global Warming. This type of regulation will be problematic, and lead to some workers losing jobs in industries that rely on marketing unhealthy fat, sugar and salt-laden foods, but will provide employment with companies that come up with products that are healthier.

Lest anyone think that we freely choose foods that are fatty, sugary and salty, remember that we have had some of the greatest minds in marketing selling us on this stuff since we are children.

it's a slippery slope as Boce alluded to
Is a bacon ban next??
it's not the role of the government to monitor my health nor do I like them taking away my freedom of choice to consume what I want be it good or for ill.

Reactions: Bocefish
Huge difference between "monitoring your health" and stopping huge, multi-national, profit-making corporations from selling poison.

The regulation doesn't proscribe you from consuming tran fat, it simply proscribes corporations from selling it. If anyone wishes to brew up any kind of poison they want in their basement and consume it, no one will stop you. I would agree that it's an overreach, if there wasn't about ten bajillion alternatives available.

I will not miss trans fats, but I fail to see how trans fats are more dangerous than tobacco, which shall remain legal. A lot of what the government does makes no sense if you look at the big picture, it really is lacking in the consistency department.

Shaun__ said:
I will not miss trans fats, but I fail to see how trans fats are more dangerous than tobacco, which shall remain legal. A lot of what the government does makes no sense if you look at the big picture, it really is lacking in the consistency department.
The difference is that trans fats are marketed to children.

Sevrin said:
Shaun__ said:
The difference is that trans fats are marketed to children.

We used to burn the ends when I was a kid, to look more adult.

q3ZiYOC.jpg

every time you turn around there is a new study saying this or that is bad for us, how many studies have there been about eggs, first they're high in bad cholesterol so don't eat eggs , then a new study says they were wrong and eggs aren't bad for you , substitutes for sugar cause cancer, but in quantities so high you can't eat that much for it to affect you, but they must ban it for your own good. GET OUT of my stomach you NANNY STATE busybodies.

I really hate how they're trying to legislate health.

And I really hate how the health bunk keeps publishing articles skewing the results of studies to make it seem like things which are good for you aren't really good for you after all.

1. We need dairy in our diets. It's the best source of calcium. Dairy fat is shown to make you eat less, because you feel full longer. Cheese is especially good at this. Studies which came out saying "dairy is bad for you", they really don't know what they're talking about. Oh sure, eating a ton of cheese with everything isn't healthy. But you need 3 servings of dairy a day.

2. Eggs are good for you. With the yolk.

3. We are designed to get more use out of meat than vegetables. We need fruits and vegetables mostly for the vitamins and minerals, but red meat is full of iron, which we need in our blood, and protein. Now, if you have a sedentary life, a life spent sitting in front of a computer not doing anything, you don't need as much meat, because the energy you're not using moving around can go towards making the proteins you need. But if you're working out and trying to gain strength, you need to be eating meat. And if you're a girl who loses a lot of blood on your period, it's best if you like steak, broccoli, and beets (luckily, I love all three ^_^).

4. EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. We need some salt in our diet. We need some fat in our diet. We need some sugar, and some starch. We don't need glucose. Humans evolved eating meat, fruits, and vegetables. Bread didn't come until we started farming, which was after our digestive systems were mostly evolved. This bullshit about needing 7 servings of bread a day that the original food pyramid came up with is just that, bullshit. I think that is part of why we have so much obesity now. We need a couple servings of protein, a couple servings of dairy, a few servings of fruits, and a bunch of vegetables. Why that way?

When human digestive tracks first evolved, it was a hunter-gather society without the means of preserving meat. So, at night, hunters bring back the meat, and they have that plus fruits, vegetables, and nuts that the gatherers found. In the morning, they have pretty much the same thing as at dinner, using the rest of the meat. But throughout the day, the hunters haven't brought the meat back yet, so they snack on nuts, berries, and roots. Thus, humans evolved to have the following eating pattern:

a medium sized meal for breakfast including all the food groups
a large meal at night including all the food groups
snacking throughout the day on fruits, nuts, and vegetables

How do I know this? This is what Native Americans were STILL doing when we got here, except they knew how to smoke the meat by then. Back then, the only fat Native Americans were the ones who didn't go out hunting and/or gathering, due to age, illness, or because they were the shaman/medicine-man and were considered too valuable for their knowledge to be risked on a hunt.

3 servings of dairy
2-3 servings of protein (meats, eggs, nuts)
3-4 servings of fruit (CAN be in juice form)
3-4 servings of vegetables
1 serving of fats and sweets
as much water as you can stomach
-stay away from soda
-if you have to drink kool-aide, water it down. Make pitcher as recommended, but fill glass half with kool-aid, half with water.

that's the basics for someone who works out for half an hour a day. If you work out more, add an extra small meal in there. If you're trying to build muscle, make that extra meal protein. That's what I've been eating most of my life, except the few years I gained more weight than I needed to. When I was gaining more weight than needed, I was drinking protein shakes and a lot of soda, plus eating a ton of unmodified ramen. (now, I add mixed veges to it and more water than needed, and it becomes about as healthy as canned soup). When I hit 25, the only thing I really needed to add to that to stay healthy is exercise. Before that, I didn't exercise, but I could eat a gallon of ice cream without gaining weight. (Though, it did make me really hyper, so that could be the culprit).

But the government really needs to get out of homes. They need to get out of our bedrooms, and out of our kitchens. They need to stop telling us what we need to do, and go back to making sure we don't hurt each other unnecessarily. "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." No matter how much you tell us not to do something, it's our choice to do it.

Now, I can heartily agree with the government making it illegal to advertise stuff that has been proven unhealthy. But it better have been proven unhealthy by at least 10 different studies before it's commercials are banned. And they can't have been twisted studies, they have to be properly done in the scientific manner. All variables controlled for, and a control group, and all that jazz. But they can't make it illegal to sell it- there are people out there who get healthier from smoking cigarettes. There's always exceptions within the human race, we're all different and chemicals treat us differently. The meal plan I laid out works for most of humanity, but there are some who will need it modified.

Margarine VS. Butter

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

And now, for Margarine...

High in trans fatty acids...

Triple risk of coronary heart disease...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL this is the bad cholesterol) Lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) ....

Lowers quality of breast milk...

Decreases insulin response.

Margarine decreases immune response

We need educated consumers, not a nanny government.

I honestly don't have a problem with this. I generally don't like the government in my business but telling companies that they now have to use REAL natural fats rather than artificial fats? I'm A-OK with that.

Food companies will adapt. As long as there is money to be made, they will find ingredients that will allow them to make it. It might mean an increase in price of fatty foods, but they won't be *as* unhealthy, and healthier alternatives will become relatively more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.