AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Undersea train from Beijing to the United States.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryBoBerry

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jul 6, 2011
China-Russia-Canada-America train line.

China is planning to build a train line that would, in theory, connect Beijing to the United States. According to a report in the Beijing Times, citing an expert at the Chinese Academy of Engineering, Chinese officials are considering a route that would start in the country's northeast, thread through eastern Siberia and cross the Bering Strait via a 125-mile long underwater tunnel into Alaska.

"Right now we're already in discussions. Russia has already been thinking about this for many years," says Wang Mengshu, the engineer cited in the article. The proposed "China-Russia-Canada-America" line would be some 8,000 miles long, 1,800 miles longer than the Trans-Siberian railroad. The tunnel that the Chinese would help bore beneath the icy seas would be four times the length of what traverses the English Channel.

That's reason enough to be skeptical of the project, of which there are few details beyond what was attributed to the one official cited by the state-run Beijing Times. Meanwhile, a report in the state-run China Daily insists the country does have the technology and means to complete a construction project of this scale, including another tunnel that would link the Chinese province of Fujian with nearby Taiwan.

In the past half decade or so, China has embarked on an astonishing rail construction spree, laying down tens of thousands of miles tracks and launching myriad high-speed lines. It has signaled its intent to build a "New Silk Road" -- a heavy-duty freight network through Central Asia that would connect with Europe via rail rather than the old caravans that once bridged West and East. A map that appeared on Xinhua's news site outlines the route below, alongside a parallel vision for a "maritime Silk Road."

While some of its neighbors watch China's rise warily, the main plank of Beijing's soft power pitch has always been its stated desire to improve economic ties and trade with virtually everyone. "China’s wisdom for building an open world economy and open international relations is being drawn on more and more each day," trumpets the Xinhua report that accompanies the map above, according to the Diplomat.

To that end, Beijing has assiduously resurrected the narrative of the ancient Silk Road as well as given prime billing to the tales of China's famed Ming dynasty treasure fleets, which sailed all across the Indian Ocean. Seen in such grand historic perspective, a tunnel to Alaska doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Now if only the tectonic plates of the pacific would not move that much.. While I can see a lot of benefits of a vacuum trainline between, say, Shanghai and San Francisco, I do fear that the distances involved may make this a big challenge at least.

Reactions: Sansa
China needs to build stuff to keep its economy chugging along. Maybe they have decided they have enough empty cities, and want to branch out to underwater tunnels now.

Reactions: ACFFAN69
Ohhhh, I did the Trans-Siberian railway as vacation back in 1995, that was a amazing ! The russian dudes did have home brewed wodka, omg, if I think about it, it burns again ))))

Reactions: gingerhobbit
Now if only the tectonic plates of the pacific would not move that much.. While I can see a lot of benefits of a vacuum trainline between, say, Shanghai and San Francisco, I do fear that the distances involved may make this a big challenge at least.

This was my second thought. The idea of an underwater train sounds amazing, sign me up for a ticket ASAP!

But, realistically, this seems like it would be a dangerous endeavor due to the large number of subduction zones in the Pacific Ocean. Yes, perhaps the rail could be built to avoid certain areas, but only those we know about. The ocean is vast enough that it's unlikely that we know about every active zone out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.