AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Website help?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to create my own website, nothing fancy, just something simple to host all of my information in one place. What are some free hosting sites I could use?

I have just started using http://www.weebly.com/ in the last few days for a website (RL interest so I am reluctant to link the site in public).

So far I have found it pretty good for a basic site, especially one that is free. Though I have stuck to the weebly url (i.e. xxxx.weebly.com), they give you the option of buying a domain name through them or using a preregistered one (GoDaddy is probably the best and cheapest place to register domain names).

You can choose from a multitude of themes, and then edit them to your own liking. The drag and drop options means that you don't need html/css knowledge, though it gives you the option to use it if you wish.

There is even an option to password/restrict certain pages.

There are limitations to how much you can store for free, but one way of getting around that is using free hosting and using the html option to hotlink. My photos are hosted on photobucket and then thumbnailed on the site.

What kind of content will you be showing on the site? adult? If so you might be hard pressed to find a free adult hoster that does not have any catches (injecting adverts into your pages, secured by adult pass sites, etc.).

Always read the Terms of Service before you pick one as they do differ from site to site. You might try and visit WebHosting forums and ask there too.

Reactions: curvyredhead
Paid shared hosting is so cheap, and has so many advantages, why not go for that?

Having your own domain name is also golden as it is something that isn't going to change and you can hang on to that branding even if/when you have to change hosting.

I'd suggest namecheap instead of godaddy for the domain registration, less drama.

If you're just looking to put up things like your schedule, your content listings and links to where people can find you, tumblr works pretty well. Mine is under construction at the moment, but you can add pages for different things that you can easily link people to.

• Helpful!
Reactions: spankamber
I do want to host adult pics, I would like to have an adult only section. I do not know how to make a website and am not very good with technology. How cheap is it?

What if you want to have streaming video chat for camming? I want a place to be able to occasionally do free shows for regs and maybe even have members sign up. I don't know where to start and won't have a lot of money to spend

Ursavannah said:
What if you want to have streaming video chat for camming? I want a place to be able to occasionally do free shows for regs and maybe even have members sign up. I don't know where to start and won't have a lot of money to spend
wowza.com : This is what some webmasters implement when they offer live chat in members area of a solo girl site.

Ideal: Event-based usage, such as weekly one-time events ... Example: A house of worship activates one (1) instance of Wowza Media Server software to broadcast a sermon every Sunday. Total Wowza fees for four (4) Sundays is $20 a month.
You will just broadcast a different kind of sermon :p

Streamate allows girls with solo sites to broadcast their shows also in their personal sites. But I don't know if they offer this to every girl or if it is only to those with high traffic.

LolasLiger said:
I have just started using http://www.weebly.com/ in the last few days for a website (RL interest so I am reluctant to link the site in public).

So far I have found it pretty good for a basic site, especially one that is free. Though I have stuck to the weebly url (i.e. xxxx.weebly.com), they give you the option of buying a domain name through them or using a preregistered one (GoDaddy is probably the best and cheapest place to register domain names).

You can choose from a multitude of themes, and then edit them to your own liking. The drag and drop options means that you don't need html/css knowledge, though it gives you the option to use it if you wish.

There are limitations to how much you can store for free, but one way of getting around that is using free hosting and using the html option to hotlink. My photos are hosted on photobucket and then thumbnailed on the site.

The free template sites are all pretty much the same, they aren't good, but they're something someone can use if they aren't going to have something done for them properly.

In regards to registering domain names, if you care about animals this may effect whether you'd do business with Godaddy. Last year a lot of people were sickened when the CEO of Godaddy posted pictures of himself standing over an elephant he'd shot and killed. People were appalled at his actions and people started moving their domains away from Godaddy. No idea how many people did in total, but at the time, one webhost offered to donate $1.00 to save the elephants charity, for each site that left godaddy for them, and they ended up donating over 20k pretty quick... The guy seems to compete with himself for worst PR moves, as recently he has supported SOPA (basically he supported removing a lot of freedom from the internet users) until there was huge public backlash and he/godaddy flipflopped and said they would not support it... And on top of that, quite a few people have found that after checking to see if the domain they want is available (through godaddy) but not registering it right then, coming back in a couple days, they'd find the domain was registered - by Godaddy - and now was for sale as a "premium domain" at a jacked up price. Great company, really great...

Godaddy is known because they are one of the only hosts that advertise on TV, but they aren't good. Instead of using an industry standard control panel, like cPanel, they use their own proprietary system, which is slower and can be a big pain in the ass if you want to migrate your site from them to elsewhere.

December 29th was declared "leave godaddy day".

Reactions: LadyLuna
Littlegringo said:
LolasLiger said:

The free template sites are all pretty much the same, they aren't good, but they're something someone can use if they aren't going to have something done for them properly.

In regards to registering domain names, if you care about animals this may effect whether you'd do business with Godaddy. Last year a lot of people were sickened when the CEO of Godaddy posted pictures of himself standing over an elephant he'd shot and killed. People were appalled at his actions and people started moving their domains away from Godaddy. No idea how many people did in total, but at the time, one webhost offered to donate $1.00 to save the elephants charity, for each site that left godaddy for them, and they ended up donating over 20k pretty quick... The guy seems to compete with himself for worst PR moves, as recently he has supported SOPA (basically he supported removing a lot of freedom from the internet users) until there was huge public backlash and he/godaddy flipflopped and said they would not support it... And on top of that, quite a few people have found that after checking to see if the domain they want is available (through godaddy) but not registering it right then, coming back in a couple days, they'd find the domain was registered - by Godaddy - and now was for sale as a "premium domain" at a jacked up price. Great company, really great...

Godaddy is known because they are one of the only hosts that advertise on TV, but they aren't good. Instead of using an industry standard control panel, like cPanel, they use their own proprietary system, which is slower and can be a big pain in the ass if you want to migrate your site from them to elsewhere.

December 29th was declared "leave godaddy day".

As a graphic designer/web designer who's had to deal with godaddy intimately on a technological basis... THEY SUCK. Not just because of the aforementioned story (Which in itself is pretty fuckin' horrible) but they make it NOTORIOUSLY difficult to do anything you want to do in regards to hosting, domains, what have you.

Just like you really don't want to go to a college that spends a bunch of money on commercials like AI, IADT or University of Pheonix, DON'T use a site that spends all their money on PR campaigns and commercials featuring sexy NASCAR drivers. They're only in it for the money, and could give two shits about user experience, etc.

I would recommend dotster.com. There are other good ones, but dotster is my go-to for website URLS.

(I don't mean to rant. I just really. really hate working with godaddy XD)

Status
Not open for further replies.