AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

What do you think about music on cam? (viewers and models)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDaughter

Inactive Cam Model
Mar 26, 2015
Los Angeles
Twitter Username
@gothcharlotte
Chaturbate Username
devildaughter
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/417059/CharlotteSartre/
Some people hate watching models when they have music playing and find it distracting. On the other hand it gets very boring sitting in front of a webcam with no one talking and listening to music helps pass the time. What are your opinions on playing music on cam?

Music is so great, it energizes you and the room! I generally play classic rock mostly because I love it and most people like it. Some music, like country, EDM, and rap will drive customers away as many people don't like those types. I can't count how many people have stayed in my room because I was playing the beatles or something awesome that they love.

However, if you play music on your laptop, it means your music may be louder than you, making it harder to hear what you say. I play it on my phone, and place the phone a further distance away from the laptop mic than I am (thus they hear my voice much clearer than the music.)

Oops was too late to edit the last post but another thought was you could also do tips for song requests or to add/remove a song from your playlist. A lot of models do this and its quite popular.

I do not do it, does not work for me so far. Guess music needs to be audience compatibel. Maybe should experiment with it again in the future. Thanks for raising the topic :)

Reactions: starsign
Personally: Always, every time, and whatever the model enjoys...but keep the sound balanced. There is nothing as off-putting as unbalanced sound, be it music or from microphone effects. I guess silence could be included as unbalanced sound too, in general silence is a turn off.

I guess some styles will turn off some members, but there is no way a model can really know which ones...keeping in mind most members are older, the model should throw in a few 'classics', but anything 'good' is usually okay.

I may have Windows Media Player open to play music, or I may just keep a CD in my DVD/CD player going for that purpose. Sometimes I won't even have music playing, because (when I don't have anyone in my paid chat) I'm sitting there watching that day's episode of General Hospital on my cell phone, which I have propped up on a cell phone stand. I keep it positioned next to my laptop, so that when I do get someone in my paid chat, I can immediately pause it and greet/chat with the member.

On MFC if I was playing one CD all the way through, I usually went for Stevie Wonder or Queen, because I like those artists...and I figured MOST people wouldn't object to Stevie Wonder or Queen. Or I might play Justin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience all the way through (and couldn't care less who objects to JT) because that's my man right there. :) It depends on the mood I'm in.

But I absolutely cannot do 3 hours on MFC without some sort of music or movie playing in the background. No, ma'am, Pam! Lol. I'd die..

Often, people who like the same music as a model will watch her more. I've had other Tech N9ne fans get excited that I was playing him, and I've been tipped for playing Celtic music because a member was so excited that I was playing that. I've had people ask me not to turn down my music (I think I was playing Zeppelin) for a private, "because I like that song and want to hear it," though the thought of paying $3.99/minute to listen to my music instead of me seems preposterous to me - you can buy the song for a dollar!

So, I typically play what I like and feel like at the moment, because anything I like, someone else likes, too.

I ~always~ have music on in my room. Last night was The Cult, which went over really well, ended the night with some edm. I can't sit there with only token noises for that long.

I always play music. Can't stand to be in silence. I'm not sure if people like it or not. But it DEFINITELY makes me feel sexier if I'm listening to the right jam. Sadly, often what I *feel* like listening to is Aqua or showtunes..... lol

Music is a HUGE component in my chatroom and when I watch other models. It really sets the mood for me. I primarily listen to classic rock and rock but I do allow members to tip for whatever song they wish to hear. It can become really fun when members are tipping for some bizarre songs and it gets the whole room laughing at their choices. Most members I have spoken with enjoy music in the background but not if it makes my voice hard to hear or is coming across their speakers in a blaring manner.

However, if you always play music and silence isn't an option (like me), you should be very aware of how it sounds on the member's side of things. I usually ask at the beginning of the show how I look and sound to get a general idea of what the room sees and hears. Sometimes you need to make little adjustments so your show is the best it can be.

I play music in my room. Just make sure to check your levels before streaming. Record yourself while talking and playing music to see what it sounds like and turn off any automatic noise correctors on your cam (RightSound if you have a Logitech).

Can models be sued for playing copyrighted music in their rooms?

I know some cam sites (like Naked) don't allow models to play music and it's not allowed in clips for copyright reasons. That makes me think it's possible, but maybe not likely.

I know some cam sites (like Naked) don't allow models to play music and it's not allowed in clips for copyright reasons. That makes me think it's possible, but maybe not likely.
I think that would be within their legal rights, since you are broadcasting a show for profit. That seems to be the litmus test.

Absolutely they could be sued, since it's very much illegal (whether you're using it commercially or not). In practice, I think it's unlikely. Publishers have bigger fish to fry. I could see them suing cam sites as opposed to individual models, but in that case, if the site complies with Safe Harbor, that might not get them far (though it's muddy considering they pay us, I'm not sure I've seen that scenario come up before).

As mentioned above, some sites do play it safe and disallow music. I think I've heard of one or two that even require brand labels on clothing or food items etc, to be covered up, which I find absurd. Streamate doesn't allow music during TopSpot shows, I'm assuming because they repost them elsewhere themselves, and so in that case they would be directly liable (I'm not entirely sure what is done with those shows anymore, though).

Personally I would never use music I didn't have rights to in any of my videos, but I don't worry about it when I'm streaming live between shows. I typically turn my music down or off when in a private show. Not even for copyright reasons, I just think it's distracting for the viewer. I'm usually listening to something annoying... My music is usually more for my benefit. It's uncomfortable for me to talk out loud and have all the responses be silent and typed. Music makes me feel less like I'm talking to myself.

Absolutely they could be sued, since it's very much illegal (whether you're using it commercially or not). In practice, I think it's unlikely. Publishers have bigger fish to fry. I could see them suing cam sites as opposed to individual models, but in that case, if the site complies with Safe Harbor, that might not get them far (though it's muddy considering they pay us, I'm not sure I've seen that scenario come up before).

As mentioned above, some sites do play it safe and disallow music. I think I've heard of one or two that even require brand labels on clothing or food items etc, to be covered up, which I find absurd. Streamate doesn't allow music during TopSpot shows, I'm assuming because they repost them elsewhere themselves, and so in that case they would be directly liable (I'm not entirely sure what is done with those shows anymore, though).

Personally I would never use music I didn't have rights to in any of my videos, but I don't worry about it when I'm streaming live between shows. I typically turn my music down or off when in a private show. Not even for copyright reasons, I just think it's distracting for the viewer. I'm usually listening to something annoying... My music is usually more for my benefit. It's uncomfortable for me to talk out loud and have all the responses be silent and typed. Music makes me feel less like I'm talking to myself.
What's a topspot show?

What's a topspot show?

It's a Streamate gold show. They used to broadcast them on TV, but now I think they just get pushed to the front page with more publicity (and get recorded). Gold shows are basically group shows that members buy into during a countdown.

It's a Streamate gold show. They used to broadcast them on TV, but now I think they just get pushed to the front page with more publicity (and get recorded). Gold shows are basically group shows that members buy into during a countdown.
Streamate had ads on TV?

I always play music. Can't stand to be in silence. I'm not sure if people like it or not. But it DEFINITELY makes me feel sexier if I'm listening to the right jam. Sadly, often what I *feel* like listening to is Aqua or showtunes..... lol
Yoooo nothing against Aqua!!

I haven't listen to them since they released that Like A Robot song lol

But I need music to run my room. Special old 80's stuff. I've been into Hair Bands like Europe and some of these songs are great also for pole dancing. Since I am currently doing non nude, I have to put extra effort and dancing is a big part of my room - therefore music is a MUST.

i like to play music, but im not sure if it actually is working for me. well, it works for me but i dont know if it works for them lol but i like to play casual laying down music

Yoooo nothing against Aqua!!

I haven't listen to them since they released that Like A Robot song lol

But I need music to run my room. Special old 80's stuff. I've been into Hair Bands like Europe and some of these songs are great also for pole dancing. Since I am currently doing non nude, I have to put extra effort and dancing is a big part of my room - therefore music is a MUST.

Yes to all of this. Aqua rocks. I'm thinking of doing a doll themed show and playing "Lollipop (Candyman)". for whatever ending. AQUA FOREVER!

All music is copyrighted. If it's not published by a major label, then the owner is usually the artist who wrote the song or a independent record company.

http://www.riaa.com/resources-learning/about-piracy/

The intellectual property alliances are getting more active suing individual people for copyright infringement, but I don't think they have the resources yet to investigate which webcam performers are broadcasting music. So to answer your question, it's not very likely at this point. However, we don't know what they will do in the future.

In a traditional TV broadcast there are two copyright payments, first one for the show producers and second one for the TV station when they air it. In the cam world I could imagine they would attack the websites first, who will in turn state they have no-music policy in they TOS (which they probably added 5 mins earlier) and the focus might turn to the performers. The club owners of physical strip clubs are also paying fees for music they are playing.

Someone mentioned earlier adding song request in the topic or tip menu. It might be a bad idea, because I know the lawyers will do a bit of investigation before the case actually goes to court, and the room topic and tip menus are saved on several websites forever so it would be easy for them to find the evidence there. I'm not sure if I can mention the websites here but they do exist.

I'm not saying all this will happen tomorrow but it might in the future. We also used to think they wouldn't be able to sue teenagers with only downloads from their IP addresses but somehow they managed to find more evidence when the police searched their houses and computers.

I think music is great. Of course some people will be driven away by certain types of music but you could say the same thing about anything else you do.

Nope, music is more important because people tend to identify with artists and genres they are following more than with the kind of furniture the model has in her room.

The best way to attract people is playing music best suitable for the target group, i.e. not playing songs for teenage girls if you're targeting 25+ men.

Streamate had ads on TV?

No, they used to have strip shows among late night sexy TV shows, but I think they have discontinued them long time ago.

When they were on, they didn't play music. Probably because it's easier to get caught on TV.

Reactions: LuxVendetta
I like rooms with music... as long as it's not too loud, distorted or drowns out the model. A varied playlist helps as well. Too much of one genre can make a room as unappealing as a room that has no music at all. Some rooms could increase their customer base if they were to just rein in the EDM and Russian techno... just a lil bit! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.