AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

What is the etiquette for requested videos?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had someone request a panty stuffing video + the panties. Is it okay to also sell the video to other people, or is that bad? It wasn't anything super custom or specific, they just wanted a video of me stuffing them. So, I figured I'd upload it and sell it for the price I charged them for just the video (not the price with the panties, obviously). Is this okay?

I think it's pretty standard to sell requested/custom videos unless it was agreed beforehand that it would be an exclusive custom video.

I usually ask them first, but if I haven't, I'll ask after - usually guys say yes!! I think it's courteous to double check if you didn't talk beforehand.

When I resell the video, I price it normal for everyone buying it later.

I always resell them unless they ask for an exclusive video, which I would then charge extra for to help cover the cost of not reselling it to others.

I also normally charge extra for custom videos especially if I need to follow a script, since they are essentially playing the director. You're bringing their fantasy to life. I then resell it to others at a normal price (non-custom price) since they weren't the ones that got to pick and choose different things.

I do not like other people getting my custom videos, unless I know ahead of time it is going to happen and the price is adjusted for it.

Reactions: JimsX
Whatever you do, make it clear before accepting the commission that you plan to sell/not sell the video to others after you deliver. That can save a lot of butthurt down the line. It might be the first time the member places an order like this and he might not be familiar with the process.

I don't know if it's general practice or not (but I've seen it done and seems the fairest way to me), if you intend to resell a custom, let the person know ahead of time and give them it at a reduced rate. If they want it to not be resold, up the price. (A bit like private vs true private on MFC; the cheaper rate allows other people to jerk off to the content the member is paying a lot of money for, for a lot less money, the more expensive rate means that the show is only for the eyes of the person paying for it)

I have three prices.

Tier 1 - I'll resell it. No names, and it needs to be kind of mainstream or a popular fetish. Basically, this is a video I think a lot of others would be interested in buying.
Tier 2 - I still resell this, but it probably won't be as popular, so it's a bit more. Usually this is a more unique fetish or it has a name in it or something.
Tier 3 - The most expensive, but it's totally exclusive.

This way the person is totally aware of what I'll be doing with their video once it's done and no one feels cheated. If you didn't have clear rules set when he paid for the video, you can always politely ask him if he's okay with you reselling it, but unless it was determined otherwise before money was exchanged I'd assume all customs are exclusive.

Anything you own, that is yours, is ok to sell in my opinion...technically that goes for the one you customed for in part too. For me it would be ok ethically.

I think the etiquette may differ a bit from site to site also.

I can see MFC members wanting custom videos to be exclusive since they get to know models on more of a personal level. I know everybody is different, but from my experience most C4S customers already expect custom clips to be resold on the site.

My rates are pretty standard and clear, unless you want to pay upwards of triple my base rate, I will resell it on any and all sites that I see fit. I may even give it away, but I'm upfront about all of that.

I hatehatehate exclusive videos because they take almost all of the profit away. :(

Reactions: Teagan
Shaun__ said:
Rose said:
I hatehatehate exclusive videos because they take almost all of the profit away. :(

I can understand that, but paying hundreds of dollars for something sucks when you see other people paying a small fraction of that or even getting it for free.

Which is understandable Shaun however you are paying to play director 100% that is why it cost x price for customs. Paying for director of a video and paying for a pre made video are two completely different things.

Kind of like people who go out to dinner and don't tip. Don't go out to dinner and have someone wait on you. That server is at your every beck and call if you cannot pay for the extra effort then go grab some premade fast food, no tip necessary. :twocents-02cents:

TheAliceLane said:
Which is understandable Shaun however you are paying to play director 100% that is why it cost x price for customs. Paying for director of a video and paying for a pre made video are two completely different things.
Shaun can correct me, but I doubt he has a problem paying a premium for custom content. He has a problem paying a premium for custom content, and then having that content resold for a faction of the original price. I agree with him. I'm perfectly happy to pay a significant premium for content that caters specifically to what I want. If a model resold that underneath me, without first explicitly saying that might happen, I wouldn't do business with that model again.

I think as long as a model is up front about her policy, everything is kosher.

Kradek said:
TheAliceLane said:
Shaun can correct me, but I doubt he has a problem paying a premium for custom content. He has a problem paying a premium for custom content, and then having that content resold for a faction of the original price. I agree with him. I'm perfectly happy to pay a significant premium for content that caters specifically to what I want. If a model resold that underneath me, without first explicitly saying that might happen, I wouldn't do business with that model again.

I have no problem paying for my exclusive videos, true privates, or anything else. What I do dislike is paying a figurative true private rate for what turns out to be a free chat public show though, assuming I was not told ahead of time.

Reactions: JubalCobb and JimsX
Kradek said:
TheAliceLane said:

I was not saying he didn't want to pay it. I simply was stating that when a member is paying a higher price for custom content he is paying to be exclusive director. Explaining that when it is resold at normal price for those who did not play director it is just like any other pre made video to a consumer they had no hand in creating the scene so there may be aspects that they would change had they been director, but they didnt pay for that privilege. That is all I was explaining. General statement.

If the member does not want it sold then there will likely be a price increase.

Members cannot expect us to be able to resell a custom they paid say 1200 tokens for with their name "Bob" in it and other person specific kinks to a member named "John" at the same price of 1200 tokens.

So with complete exclusivity comes a much higher price because the camgirl will never be able to resell that video again if that is what the member prefers.

And yes I tell all of my members up front that the content will be resold at normal video pricing if they do not want that then my time and effort for the created video will be priced accordingly since no other member will be able to purchase it.

Edit:

Also in my original response to Shaun I am pretty sure I didn't see anything about you stating that you were talking about not being told that it would be resold.

Shaun__ said:
Rose said:
My rates are pretty standard and clear, unless you want to pay upwards of triple my base rate, I will resell it on any and all sites that I see fit. I may even give it away, but I'm upfront about all of that.

I can understand that, but paying hundreds of dollars for something sucks when you see other people paying a small fraction of that or even getting it for free.

You only said you didn't like to pay for a custom and see it resold for less. You just now mentioned you meant you didn't like paying hundreds then without knowing it would be you see it being resold.

So in my defense I was merely explaining that when it is being resold at a fraction of the price there are reasons for price differences.

I am pretty sure in the quote you responded to she stated she is upfront with the member also. So again I was under the impression you were just stating you didn't like it being resold period no matter if you were told ahead of time or not.

Shaun__ said:
Rose said:

It completely depends on the custom, and like I said they always know upfront. It's not something I do often, but if I want to use a custom as a gift or prize then I negotiate with the person buying the custom to lower the price. Sometimes they're compensated with something else. Each situation is unique and negotiated beforehand.

I'm actually the opposite, I guess. I sell my customs by default as exclusive, mainly because I use names throughout the videos, and they're usually so specific I don't think anybody else would want them. A lot of times, though, my custom videos will inspire me to try new ideas for generic videos, so it's a win-win. :)

But echoing what others have said, the proper etiquette is to be clear on your standards as far as reselling goes, and just talk to the dude about what he's comfortable with. Preferably before money's exchanged.

When I sell someone a custom video at a premium rate, they are not paying for exclusive content -- they are paying to have me fulfill their fantasy on film exactly how they want to see it. They are paying to script, direct, and have me do whatever they want, exactly how they want me to do it (within my limits, of course).

That is why custom content costs more, regardless of whether or not I resell it.

And I do resell custom videos most of the time, which seems to be a fairly common practice on the sites I use (SM, C4S, etc). Custom content and exclusive content are two different things in my world.

Question: is it okay to ask for an exclusivity period, i.e. I don't really care about exclusivity but for one week for example? I know the requested content won't be resold by the model but published for free on their blog afterwards. Cause I don't wanna feel I'm paying free stuff for freeloaders.
Would you charge for this?

eclipse76 said:
Question: is it okay to ask for an exclusivity period, i.e. I don't really care about exclusivity but for one week for example? I know the requested content won't be resold by the model but published for free on their blog afterwards. Cause I don't wanna feel I'm paying free stuff for freeloaders.

I wouldn't charge for this and usually wait to sell it by default (unless someone specifically says they want me to sell it right away, which a few guys have because they like the idea and want other dudes to buy it)!

Honestly I think bringing up any preference about exclusivity or about resale is totally fine as long as it's done before (this goes for both models and members)! That way you can make sure both people are happy with the value & cost before anything gets made.

Eta, if it isn't brought up before, I'd still bring it up later but maybe just know she might say no (just like a guy might say no to it being resold if you ask him later). Never hurts to ask!! Most girls are happy to accommodate and tbh I think if she doesn't specify, it's fair to assume it will be exclusive.

Ambers Troll said:
Anything you own, that is yours, is ok to sell in my opinion...technically that goes for the one you customed for in part too. For me it would be ok ethically.
Does this mean you find it okay for the member who commissioned the custom to then resell the video to others, once they have received it from the performer? :?

eclipse76 said:
This is going to be different from site to site, but you should definitely ask first. Gen pretty much said it all already.

If it were me and this were on Clips4sale, it would depend on the fetish and how much the custom was going to cost. Take for example the four customs I did just this week, I would have said no if any of those viewers had asked because the clips were fairly cheap, it's the beginning of the month, and if I'd waited to post those clips later in the month then I wouldn't have been able to make any profit from them. That would have been stupid of me to miss out on that much resell.

Reactions: eclipse76 and Gen
It's a freelancer not affiliated with any website. I wouldn't care about it if it was resold actually, it's the fact it will be published for free.

Reactions: Rose and Gen
It sounds to me, in this specific instance, the member just wants to see you stuffing the panties he purchased. So, the main price is for the panties themselves, and the video is just an add on. Correct me if I am wrong. You mentioned there were no names being moaned, etc.

I offer panties, which include a video of me stuffing them at a base price. The video isn't a custom. It is just a video of me stuffing the panties they purchased. I resell these videos. I charge a bit extra if they want something specific in their video, like their name moaned or a script. The extra cost really depends on what they want, as usually the price is mainly based on the panties. In this case of a custom, I do not resell.

Other than that, I have never even thought of reselling a custom. (except in the case of a C4S member; that is pretty much the standard there that the customs are posted to your store) I definitely wouldn't post a custom for free anywhere. I am with Charlotte on this point. I just assume they have no real value to anyone else unless, A: they share the same name, and B: they share the same fetish.

Status
Not open for further replies.