AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

What to do?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2013
Bucharest
camgirl.cloud
Twitter Username
@CamgirlCloud
Chaturbate Username
redglove
I'm aware that adult industry, especially (or, in this particular case) webcam performers go through a rough patch. I read like 80% of AC forum is about complaining and from what I remember the same issues were since forever (forever means before I've stumbled upon adult industry back in 2007 -- yea I'm old, deal with it!)
"Low traffic, low tips"... Yes the scales differ yet the "problems" persist since forever.

Indeed, some do feel the pressure, the strive, the struggle more than others yet "the problem persists"... like in the old commercial "drei wetter taft"
Pointing fingers is a solution? I doubt ... Platform managers/companies are doing enough to ensure high-quality traffic? Bots are cool to pump-up numbers but bots don't tip.
What else? Did I do anything I can to ensure and take advantage of all tools these platform have to offer?
Maybe yes, maybe no!
Let's see the obvious options shall we:
- active on social platforms
- active and "gathering" a fan base
- active on live streaming sites

What else?
- investing in hardware/software tech stuff for better streams and performance
- invest in looks like outfit, tats, tongue out, roleplay bla bla bla
- invest in adult toys

All these are direct investments with immediate effects. Now, to touch the less known, less popular investments:
- invest in branding
- invest in online image
- invest in promo materials, campaigns

The online environment is the best opportunity to get popularity (famous & fabulous) but what is missing?
The platform? Emmm nope, OF can be considered a platform to gain a fan base but most users are focused on revenue and less on popularity ...
TikTok, Twitter, FB, Instagram and other social networks are using the "we don't accept adult content"... but "we kind of allow it for...sort of"
Adult content banned from SERP ... all major search engines ban adult content so how one becomes popular if the search tool is not allowing this kind of popularity?

Anyway... the purpose of this topic is not to offer a solution, but to "put on paper" the questions and ideas which we should ask ourselves instead of just bitching about it.

"What we ca do to make it better, what we can do to adapt to new situations? "

And that means a change in perspective, a change in one's mentality rather than hoping for better times.
Since forever, each generation says the same thing "we live bitter, hard times" and next generation laughs about previous statement (with few exceptions)

My suggestion would be the change in mentality, focus on what we have and what we can do with what we have rather than focus on what we miss, what we don't have.

PS: kind of looks like therapy yet a truth most of us face every single day in our adult-related activity.
I don't dismiss the idea of this text is mostly helping me, a talk to myself yet I don't struggle like webcam performers do so it might not be about me, yet from my own perspectives.... You'll get it, you're smart!
PS2: yea, english is not my native language so long texts tend to ... I don't know... "sound" funny and difficult to read yet I own it all. "cuz I can"
Be well!

Genuine question though, if models were doing ok in November and December with the same promotion and branding and suddenly things went south in January, February then that to me sounds more like the time of year (taxes etc) than anything else. Spending to fix something that isn't within your gift to fix doesn't seem fiscally wise.

Genuine question though, if models were doing ok in November and December with the same promotion and branding and suddenly things went south in January, February then that to me sounds more like the time of year (taxes etc) than anything else. Spending to fix something that isn't within your gift to fix doesn't seem fiscally wise.
I have been dying for someone to comment on this thread so I could hop into it without Dan thinking I was going for the jugular.

The suggestions he makes are not wrong on their face, but to assume we aren't already doing that to the levels we can comfortably manage for our audiences based on their expectations of past interactions with us is absurd and quite frankly insulting. Every single one of us that has complained about the slow period has opened a new avenue to a different stream of revenue. Every.single.one.of.us. That doesn't change our boundaries across the platforms or who we choose to show the world we are.

And then adds in the "make do with what you have."

Here's what I have.

- A mortgage that is far below national average
- A gas bill for heating, a water bill, an internet bill, a cell phone bill, an electricity bill
- Vehicle gas bill
- Groceries for two grown ass adults and a cat with special needs

I haven't been to a concert, a restaurant, a movie theater, or shopping just for "funsies" in almost three years. Because every time I even get slightly ahead something fucks up and kills my ascent to the top of the mountain. The latest thing that fucked me head over feet was my coffee pot caught on fire.

I was going through my bills and noticed DirecTV (satellite tv) upped my bill by almost $30 without warning. So I started researching how to move to a different lesser service. It cost me $57 on the spot to sign up, it'll cost me another $64 in five days when the trial period runs out and I still have to pay the $165 to finish out my satellite service with them to turn it off. So in a matter of days I will have spent over $270 to SAVE $100 every month for the next year. But it hurt because there is only $200 in my checking account. I've had a good weekend, but now I have to pay the phone, the internet, the gas and the electric all before the 28th. I've made far less than what is needed to do that so far.

/end rant because I'm broadcasting now and need to pay attention

I even have two campaigns set up to help me buy the new Lovense camera but nooooo one is biting.

Feel free to send the entire $305 to my CashApp at @$angeliceyes69

I have absolutely nothing to offer other than, after participating in this forum, I have a new respect for cam models.
They all have my support in any way, even if sometimes it is only kind words.
I understand the OP is well-intentioned, but sometimes advice, especially from those outside the profession, can come across as condescending and often un-informed.
My suggestion is to read the forum a bit more closely and with the intent to try and understand the model's POV.
To quote Rick and Morty, "A little empathy goes a long way."

I understand the OP is well-intentioned, but sometimes advice, especially from those outside the profession, can come across as condescending and often un-informed.
This, completely.

We as cam models, actual performers in the adult industry, get this all too often. Other people who are "in adult web work" (but only to the extent that they do tech/coding or SEO stuff) trying to be inspirational to us who actually do the performing and content creation makes our heads ache.

Last edited:
What else?
- investing in hardware/software tech stuff for better streams and performance
- invest in looks like outfit, tats, tongue out, roleplay bla bla bla
- invest in adult toys

All these are direct investments with immediate effects. Now, to touch the less known, less popular investments:
- invest in branding
- invest in online image
- invest in promo materials, campaigns
This all sounds good in theory, but in practice this won't lead to any immediate effect other than toys if you have none, and a decent webcam if you only have a built in one, but those are the basic things that most models start with anyways. Branding and creating an image is also not something someone can just easily invest in. Not every model is going to know what exactly their brand or online image should be, and it can be difficult to figure it out. For models with smaller following, who will have higher fluctuations in their earnings it can also be much more difficult to determine what is working or not.

Coming back to this for a longer response.

I think this is one of those threads that is like better as a brainstorm/conversation over wine with a few industry people rather than an open forum like this. I get the intention, it's about just kinda mulling over/discussing what to do when things are slow. I think maybe the language barrier added some issues with tone. I THINK Dan maybe meant this to be a thread where we sort of all spitball best strategies for how best to handle slow/hard times.

Reality is though: When times are tough and you can't pay your bills due to cost of living going up, or income going down you cannot typically afford to invest much. The only things I'd call exception to are if you are just starting and have a terrible webcam, or terrible internet connection etc. Upgrading from a potato to a reasonable piece of equipment is worthwhile. But more toys, more outfits etc.. none of that will help enough.

"Invest" in branding/online image/promo materials campaign.. may be somewhat better advice. But again, I think the tone comes off badly. Invest in english usually means spending $$$ unless you say "invest energy" or 'invest time". I don't think investing $$$ into branding is the way to go when you're struggling badly. I DO think that investing more time into a *CAREFULLY* considered niche is worthwhile. Figuring out where the $$ is for you (when there is any) and leaning into that.

But most of us know this. This isn't revolutionary or very helpful.

I think this line here: "Anyway... the purpose of this topic is not to offer a solution, but to "put on paper" the questions and ideas which we should ask ourselves instead of just bitching about it."
is the biggest issue where the tone of this thread goes awry.

We do need and want to bitch about it sometimes. It's healthy and normal. Folks that bitch here (with a few very occasional exceptions) are usually just venting, and they're also taking what actions they can to change their situations. I agree there's a moment for action and brainstorming, but I think that works best when it's sex worker-led with lived experience of the area of the industry we're working on.

Moving on:

In the spirit of offering small actionable solutions for folks who these sweeping statements may not help I would say that I have noticed MOST places around me are raising prices. my dog groomer, my vet, my apartments, my mechanics.. all hiking prices. I get emails about it. If everyone around me is charging more (therefore my cost of living is going up) one strategy is to raise my own prices. But everyone else is suffering too.. my clients are perceiving everything as going up in price and it sets a negative tone. Adult content/cam models are a luxury to consume, vs the car mechanic. So the tolerance for a price hike will be lower. The BEST way I have found to raise prices while people are feeling a pinch is to add on fees. So for example, my custom videos have not gone up in price on paper, but in practice I am now adding on fees to all but the most simple requests. Complicated outfit + $10. More complex editing+$50. The client needs me to memorize lines + $20.

For skype shows the same. I used to give clients recordings as a perk, but now they come with a fee.
Want to pick my outfit? $20 extra.
Want a bigger toy? $30
Want a show outside normal hours? + 10%

etc.
It's easier to swallow for people than when you're just like "Hey, so inflation sucks so I'm having to increase my prices by this much!" and allows customers with a very strict budget to forgo the extras. It makes them feel in control of their pricing (same strategy as like car insurance "name your price" stuff).

Last edited:
Coming back to this for a longer response.

I think this is one of those threads that is like better as a brainstorm/conversation over wine with a few industry people rather than an open forum like this. I get the intention, it's about just kinda mulling over/discussing what to do when things are slow. I think maybe the language barrier added some issues with tone. I THINK Dan maybe meant this to be a thread where we sort of all spitball best strategies for how best to handle slow/hard times.

Reality is though: When times are tough and you can't pay your bills due to cost of living going up, or income going down you cannot typically afford to invest much. The only things I'd call exception to are if you are just starting and have a terrible webcam, or terrible internet connection etc. Upgrading from a potato to a reasonable piece of equipment is worthwhile. But more toys, more outfits etc.. none of that will help enough.

"Invest" in branding/online image/promo materials campaign.. may be somewhat better advice. But again, I think the tone comes off badly. Invest in english usually means spending $$$ unless you say "invest energy" or 'invest time". I don't think investing $$$ into branding is the way to go when you're struggling badly. I DO think that investing more time into a *CAREFULLY* considered niche is worthwhile. Figuring out where the $$ is for you (when there is any) and leaning into that.

But most of us know this. This isn't revolutionary or very helpful.

I think this line here: "Anyway... the purpose of this topic is not to offer a solution, but to "put on paper" the questions and ideas which we should ask ourselves instead of just bitching about it."
is the biggest issue where the tone of this thread goes awry.

We do need and want to bitch about it sometimes. It's healthy and normal. Folks that bitch here (with a few very occasional exceptions) are usually just venting, and they're also taking what actions they can to change their situations. I agree there's a moment for action and brainstorming, but I think that works best when it's sex worker-led with lived experience of the area of the industry we're working on.
Can I marry you via the internet cause girl you just nailed this! LOLOL We are venting. Venting is healthy.

Yeah I'll be redundant but.... Seems impossible right now to invest in anything while I'm struggling with groceries.
Right? Even investing more time is difficult when I'm barely being able to survive and I really need my time off if I don't want to end up sent for grippy socks holidays, which would result in even worse financial situation.

The original post here feels a bit predatory. Maybe it isn't meant to be but from the outside looking in it seems like an attempt to capitalise on the low traffic, low tipping posts that have been appearing here in recent weeks and the resulting stress that models are under. Offering "magic beans" solutions when the cause of the problems are well documented in global media is disingenuous at best. There is a cost of living crisis, we're only two months past Christmas and everyone has tax bills to pay.

I have absolutely nothing to offer other than, after participating in this forum, I have a new respect for cam models.
They all have my support in any way, even if sometimes it is only kind words.
My suggestion is to read the forum a bit more closely and with the intent to try and understand the model's POV.
To quote Rick and Morty, "A little empathy goes a long way."
For me camming opened my eyes to a lot of things. I'm not going to be holier than thou and claim I got into it for any reason beyond being horny, however I've learned a lot. I've visited the same model pretty consistently for a long time now and just sitting observing has taught me a lot.
  • I've seen the kind of stress that working in a job with an unstable income brings. I've never been in that situation myself so this was quite revealing.
  • I have a new appreciation for how hard a job it is. Even before you consider the actual sex stuff itself, dealing with all of the guys who come into a room making ridiculous and often downright abusive comments must be mentally exhausting. PMs, bizarre requests etc
  • All of the technical stuff is another layer on top. It's like being a Twitch streamer for perverts. And some of it is beyond the model's control. I watched my friend close to tears last night after being consistently kicked out of her streaming platform, often mid conversation.
I saw a post on these forums where a model said that they rarely have anyone who just tips for nothing. People might tip for nothing more if they considered that what they were actually tipping for was all of the above. Any guy who visits the same model regularly will feel the same way and will have seen the same things.

So, to all the models on here, I'm off to buy a hat now, just so that I can take it off to you all.

Thank you all your your input :)
As I've already mentioned, it is not a topic where I offer advice... I am already aware how the dynamics of work-related activity connect individuals into groups, so it would be a waste of my and your time to throw ideas... it's not me.

What I've noticed since 2007 (the very beginning of my activity with adult industry and not limited to live streaming) is the same issues which haven't changed at all platforms did not tailored on webcam performer's needs (except adding bots to pump up numbers but not revenue) and webcam performers still could face the same major problems ... low traffic and low income...
It didn't crossed my mind that these facts could and are interpreted in so many ways... Again, I don't do tips and tricks, those are for my own business and for me personally.

@Vixxen81 - don't worry, I'm in a place where my jugular is fine, do take the opportunity and let havy energies out rather than consuming you from within. I don't mind, I understand. Allow me to virtually hug you.

@Miss_Lollipop SERP - search engine result page...
And I agree with you on so many points, seams you understood better my long, boring "waste of time" topic.
I don't try to change minds, nor offer other perspectives, it is not my thing, I only observed the long way of "low traffic, low income" complains since forever and after decades nothing changed, that's it... :D Or maybe I should of started with that.... :D

Anyway, thank you all for all your efforts in reading and come up with a reply for what I had to express with such difficulty :)
Be well.

For me camming opened my eyes to a lot of things. I'm not going to be holier than thou and claim I got into it for any reason beyond being horny, however I've learned a lot. I've visited the same model pretty consistently for a long time now and just sitting observing has taught me a lot.
  • I've seen the kind of stress that working in a job with an unstable income brings. I've never been in that situation myself so this was quite revealing.
  • I have a new appreciation for how hard a job it is. Even before you consider the actual sex stuff itself, dealing with all of the guys who come into a room making ridiculous and often downright abusive comments must be mentally exhausting. PMs, bizarre requests etc
  • All of the technical stuff is another layer on top. It's like being a Twitch streamer for perverts. And some of it is beyond the model's control. I watched my friend close to tears last night after being consistently kicked out of her streaming platform, often mid conversation.
I saw a post on these forums where a model said that they rarely have anyone who just tips for nothing. People might tip for nothing more if they considered that what they were actually tipping for was all of the above. Any guy who visits the same model regularly will feel the same way and will have seen the same things.

So, to all the models on here, I'm off to buy a hat now, just so that I can take it off to you all.
And in the case of the model I visit, I think she should be really proud of herself. I'd never be so patronising as to tell her that but she juggles way more shit on a daily basis than I ever had to do at her age. In fact, way more shit than I have to juggle now, and I don't need to do it with a constant smile on my face and a constant stream of dickheads asking me to "show feet bb". I'd love to be able to tell her that some day but ultimately she doesn't need validation from me.

I hope the bad times pass soon for you all.

Last edited:
And in the case of the model I visit, I think she should be really proud of herself. I'd never be so patronising as to tell her that
Obviously you know your relationship, but I do not see telling a friend that they should be proud of their achievements to be patronising a at all. I think that we can all benefit from (truthful) validation of our worthiness, and even our efforts to merely live a good life, by our friends and people we trust to have no ulterior motives.

Reactions: ElGato
Thank you all your your input :)
As I've already mentioned, it is not a topic where I offer advice... I am already aware how the dynamics of work-related activity connect individuals into groups, so it would be a waste of my and your time to throw ideas... it's not me.

What I've noticed since 2007 (the very beginning of my activity with adult industry and not limited to live streaming) is the same issues which haven't changed at all platforms did not tailored on webcam performer's needs (except adding bots to pump up numbers but not revenue) and webcam performers still could face the same major problems ... low traffic and low income...
It didn't crossed my mind that these facts could and are interpreted in so many ways... Again, I don't do tips and tricks, those are for my own business and for me personally.

@Vixxen81 - don't worry, I'm in a place where my jugular is fine, do take the opportunity and let havy energies out rather than consuming you from within. I don't mind, I understand. Allow me to virtually hug you.

@Miss_Lollipop SERP - search engine result page...
And I agree with you on so many points, seams you understood better my long, boring "waste of time" topic.
I don't try to change minds, nor offer other perspectives, it is not my thing, I only observed the long way of "low traffic, low income" complains since forever and after decades nothing changed, that's it... :D Or maybe I should of started with that.... :D

Anyway, thank you all for all your efforts in reading and come up with a reply for what I had to express with such difficulty :)
Be well.

Dan I appreciate your good intentions and willingness to listen to feedback. I didn't see your op as ill intended mostly because I've seen your other posts here and they're always either helpful or reasonable. I just think suggesting investment can be really delicate because it is in no way a guaranteed return, and if I'm going to choose between new shoes for my family or a new toy, I won't think twice. My lush is broken and it costs the same as a washing machine or a stove where I live - two things that my house still lacks and that I'm trying to save for. How the hell am I supposed to buy the lush?

But I see it as something I can't control, except for working more hours, and that is still not guaranteed because you might make $50 in a few minutes then nothing for five hours. Same goes for content - no guarantee that the hours spent filming/ writing/editing/promoting will result in sales. "Oh but then you should up your sales game" maybe but I have only so many hours before I burn out.

I know things haven't always been like this - I've bought a new TV and went on vacations on the mountains, then had no money for my rent, months apart. It will get better. Then maybe worse again. In my opinion the best plan of action now - which I still struggle a lot with - is learn how to use the wealthy times to prepare for times of need.

Last edited:
Moving on:

In the spirit of offering small actionable solutions for folks who these sweeping statements may not help I would say that I have noticed MOST places around me are raising prices. my dog groomer, my vet, my apartments, my mechanics.. all hiking prices. I get emails about it. If everyone around me is charging more (therefore my cost of living is going up) one strategy is to raise my own prices. But everyone else is suffering too.. my clients are perceiving everything as going up in price and it sets a negative tone. Adult content/cam models are a luxury to consume, vs the car mechanic. So the tolerance for a price hike will be lower. The BEST way I have found to raise prices while people are feeling a pinch is to add on fees. So for example, my custom videos have not gone up in price on paper, but in practice I am now adding on fees to all but the most simple requests. Complicated outfit + $10. More complex editing+$50. The client needs me to memorize lines + $20.

For skype shows the same. I used to give clients recordings as a perk, but now they come with a fee.
Want to pick my outfit? $20 extra.
Want a bigger toy? $30
Want a show outside normal hours? + 10%

etc.
It's easier to swallow for people than when you're just like "Hey, so inflation sucks so I'm having to increase my prices by this much!" and allows customers with a very strict budget to forgo the extras. It makes them feel in control of their pricing (same strategy as like car insurance "name your price" stuff).
Double post but I failed to add the last one, sorry - thank you so much for this. It's so tempting to go the other way around about this during hard times - discounts, sales etc. And I learned from more experienced models here that this is not the way. In the end, 3 cheap sales are the same as an expensive one and this is one of the most valuable lessons in this industry. This was a super helpful reminder.

Reactions: mika_kedi
You seem well intentioned @Dan N but like others have already said, it comes off as patronising unfortunately.

But I wanted to add that you're seeing this forum as a place where many models are struggling/complaining and looking for solutions. But in reality, it's more just a place to vent and get things off our chests, and find validation in what we're feeling when we struggle. We know how to help ourselves and the tips you've given are for the most part already being put into place or available to see on this site somewhere.

We also know there are limits to what we can do to influence our success during slow periods etc. and that's why this place helps. It's more for a sense of community and mental health than it is a place to learn to boost profits. At least for me.

(Plus it helps for troubleshooting tech or other issues in the same way as you would do in a staff room at work. We don't have a staffroom to complain about our boss or the company, or that rude client we just had to deal with. We have this.)

Reactions: LydiaFrost
You seem well intentioned @Dan N but like others have already said, it comes off as patronising unfortunately.

But I wanted to add that you're seeing this forum as a place where many models are struggling/complaining and looking for solutions. But in reality, it's more just a place to vent and get things off our chests, and find validation in what we're feeling when we struggle. We know how to help ourselves and the tips you've given are for the most part already being put into place or available to see on this site somewhere.

We also know there are limits to what we can do to influence our success during slow periods etc. and that's why this place helps. It's more for a sense of community and mental health than it is a place to learn to boost profits. At least for me.

(Plus it helps for troubleshooting tech or other issues in the same way as you would do in a staff room at work. We don't have a staffroom to complain about our boss or the company, or that rude client we just had to deal with. We have this.)
In no way my post was intended to have a judgemental or patronising feel and I do apologize for this because it was simply not my intention.
I've mentioned already, I don't have solutions because (at least as I am aware) no platform and no webcam performer in the industry come up with a global "fit all size" solution.
I haven't said, "hey, do that or do this" I've only mentioned what I noticed has been done... Basically I didn't come up with something new, but just what I've observed and if I am to judge what the topic is all about is kind of venting, me complaining from a more neutral point of view ... reason for which some of you might say ... "here's another idiot trying to scam, sell, teach us the ropes..." .... far from true yet it is a valid point of view nevertheless.

@Lilly_____ I am sorry about your (and so many others) situations I do understand and I do get emotional when I stumble upon these "stories" because I was homeless for 2 whole years in my beautiful country romania and I had no help from any living soul, no benefits (as US are used with the term/concept), no help, no nothing... We all have our drama to bare and we kind of believe we go through the worst and nobody else can understand, and yes, it is true, nobody can feel what you feel yet some of us pushed to the same shit and found the power to move on. I'm not good at encouraging people in any other language than my native one.
Anyhow, that particular empathy made me decide to froze the prices on one of my services and even if it is an US based company we kept the same prices since 2016 just to be "helpful" in our own way with our own tools and support webcam performers how we can best, yet without going bankrupt .

In that particular note I do understand why most of webcam performers "see me as the bad guy" the one who comes here and "teach us how to do stuff"... Nope not doing that, that's an collective aspect with which I do not resonate and (again for the 3rd time) I apologize if I had an opinion ... even a misunderstood one.

I'm fine with it. Love ya all, poor, rich, sad, angry, pissed of with me or whatever. Hugs to everyone!

Obviously you know your relationship, but I do not see telling a friend that they should be proud of their achievements to be patronising a at all. I think that we can all benefit from (truthful) validation of our worthiness, and even our efforts to merely live a good life, by our friends and people we trust to have no ulterior motives.
You're right, and after seeing your post, I told her.

Thank you for elaborating on your intentions.

My brain is fried right now so I can't formulate much more of a response other than this.

The suggestion I've seen a lady post on these forums (sorry I cannot remember who) that could help without having to go out of comfort zone or altering prices is to change your hashtags.

Status
Not open for further replies.