AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

When you think MFC is back online..

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2011
Sunny England
MFC Username
Sweetiebatman
and_it_s_gone_by_celeith-d5div3y.jpg

Although seriously though i feel for those who are struggling to make payout, the lack of communication is staggering, it must be the 7 or 8th time its gone down in a month and on the last day of the period is shitty

Annnnd its gone

Fucking idiots, I have emailed them as a customer as I am really pissed off about the lack of service and zero communication tonight for both models and customers (8pm-3am GMT) Ive been on MFC since 2010 and im just on the verge of giving up. They rely (IMO) on the relationships many people have on the site and take the absolute piss! you deserve better models

Today is going to be remembered as the Miss MFC finale that wasn't. I've only been a regular of one top model, and that was a long time ago, but I know that the last night is almost as big a deal socially for those models' members as it is financially for the models. MFC has a lot of explaining to do.

Reactions: ComicOzzie
hovering between 110 and 130 models online, and oddly, none of them are the big "top row" earners..

Mainly, because I believe they know through forums like this, twitter, etc that 90 percent of the models/members that inhabit the site are not going anywhere. *shrug*
I disagree. If this becomes a regular occurance people will leave. unfortunatly there isn't quite a site that relies on the social aspect and competition as much as mfc. But new sites can pop up or existing sites can adjust their business model. Mfc's business model works so someone soon can implement it somewhere in a platform that is more reliable.

I have no specific evidence to support this conjecture, but based on the circumstances of these outages, I strongly suspect that MFC has been getting attacked. Most likely an extortion-based DDoS attack from one of the several organized criminal enterprises involved in these types of attacks against Internet businesses. MFC is an ideal target (adult-oriented, several single points of failure, poor site security posture, etc).

My guess is that Leo isn't saying anything because he doesn't want to admit the attack, although I'm dubious that he'd say anything in any case.

It's just so unfair to members and to models--I've been on several sites who experienced DDoS attacks, and after a couple of times they get it sorted--and those sites don't have MFC's budget! It's such a slap in the face that they can't even give us more than a shitty little blurb on the model's newsfeed.

I said it in other tweets, but I remember when SM went down, they apologized profusely, kept us up to date, and even upped our payouts to make amends for the inconvenience. I think they went above and beyond, and I don't expect nearly the same from MFC, but they need to do more than what they are. SMH.

I've been @ mfc since '09 when outages were common from what was called server overload. The dialogue hasn't really changed. MFC is still pretty mum about it all. Girls and customers whine on various social media and guys get all buthurt because they cant ogle their favorite girls breasticles. It does get sorted out and fixed and the feathers are smoothed till the next major drama in camland. IMO, I look at Leos toy the same as the wall street banks.... to big to fail and too big to answer to the commoners any more. Life goes on.

My guess is that Leo isn't saying anything because he doesn't want to admit the attack, although I'm dubious that he'd say anything in any case.

They don't need to say the site is under attack if they don't want - there's plenty of other plausible explanations they could give instead. Or they could openly say they are being attacked for extortion - the key is communicating *a lot* to ensure users are aware that you are working on it, even if results take a while to happen.

And to be honest, DDoS are a pain to deal with, but if you have money you can get things sorted really quickly to a point where the attacker just sits there wasting their money (assuming they bought the DDoS somewhere) until they give up.

....IMO, I look at Leos toy the same as the wall street banks.... to big to fail and too big to answer to the commoners any more. Life goes on.

I agree except for the too big to fail part. If a big Wall Street bank goes under, there are negative repercussions throughout the economy, maybe the world. If MFC goes under, some cam models and members might try to find another site, or maybe they would just find something else to do altogether. If MFC is too big to fail, it's in its owner's mind.

I agree except for the too big to fail part. If a big Wall Street bank goes under, there are negative repercussions throughout the economy, maybe the world. If MFC goes under, some cam models and members might try to find another site, or maybe they would just find something else to do altogether. If MFC is too big to fail, it's in its owner's mind.

LoL... i guess I need to change fonts when there's supposed to be sarcasm implied.... :haha:

Curious on other people's opinions on why they think MFC is not doing more as in the above quote. Thanks.

Since MFC is privately held, your guess is as good as anyone's. If they were a public corporation, there would be more transparency and accountability, but I suspect they don't need the investment or welcome the transparency and other hassles that come with being public. Still, it seems likely that MFC has some good reasons (not apparent or disclosable to outsiders) for their handling of the recent outages. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

It's just so unfair to members and to models--I've been on several sites who experienced DDoS attacks, and after a couple of times they get it sorted--and those sites don't have MFC's budget!
Well, the scale of DDoS attacks vary greatly, while most are small, not all are. Unfortunately I was involved to help defend a few DDoS's, one situation pretty much took down a whole ISP for long periods of time. A target site was offline for weeks, the ISP's budget and resources would likely exceeded MFC's.

It's such a slap in the face that they can't even give us more than a shitty little blurb on the model's newsfeed.
I'm sure if Leo thought is was in everyone interest he'd say more, but for various reasons its considered good practice to say nothing.

Well, the scale of DDoS attacks vary greatly, while most are small, not all are. Unfortunately I was involved to help defend a few DDoS's, one situation pretty much took down a whole ISP for long periods of time. A target site was offline for weeks, the ISP's budget and resources would likely exceeded MFC's.

I'm sure if Leo thought is was in everyone interest he'd say more, but for various reasons its considered good practice to say nothing.
The most thoughtful answer I've seen yet. Here or on Twitter.

It's just easier and more fun to assume it's because they don't give a shit about their models and members. Amirite!?

It's just easier and more fun to assume it's because they don't give a shit about their models and members. Amirite!?

Eh, I disagree. Even if they just came out and acknowledged that the site was down, or was having problems, and that they are working on it, it would have been better. But getting even that level of communication took over a week!

A site can communicate without tipping it's hand. MFC chooses not to prioritize user communication and they get away with it because they can. It might be an acceptable business decision, but it's hardly the best.

Sometimes it really is in a site's best interest to keep quiet when there are attacks going on (if that's what is happening), or to keep holes in code secret because that kind of stuff can be a liability to the site in question.

Still, I do kind of wish that they would just acknowledge the problem when it happens and say, "hey the site is having issues, we are working hard to have it back up ASAP" even if all that involves is a message in the news feed or whatever and is otherwise extremely vague.

I disagree. If this becomes a regular occurance people will leave. unfortunatly there isn't quite a site that relies on the social aspect and competition as much as mfc. But new sites can pop up or existing sites can adjust their business model. Mfc's business model works so someone soon can implement it somewhere in a platform that is more reliable.

THIS.

Ever since MFC has had glitches nearly every day (pretty much all of May), SO many members have moved to other sites or stated that they feel uncomfortable either buying tokens or spending them when they site is so glitchy. I've already had one member offer to tip tokens for Skype sessions, and this is literally my most loyal regular. He is really exasperated with the site, and honestly I NEVER thought this person would be asking for Skype rather than hanging out in public chat and tipping that way.

It is definitely becoming a huge problem and it seems like a lot of members are leaving MFC in a way that goes well beyond what is a normal ebb and flow of traffic. It's starting to get really concerning because what was easily my best site to make an income off of is now sinking really badly. :/

Reactions: MadJohnson

MFC is on the (slowly dying) side of the silence wall - most companies still stick to secrecy when issues happen, but that only leads to loss of consumer trust as we're seeing now with MFC. As a result, most of the big tech companies have been publishing public postmortems of outages (primarily for 'infrastructure' services like Amazon's AWS and Google's GCE, but also now for other products), which is slowly trickling down to other companies. It also has technical benefits - usually when a site goes down, users will keep hitting refresh *all the time*, overloading any other part of the serving infrastructure that is still up, so now instead of just one thing being overloaded, you have two (you should see our graphs for QPS during outages - they spike *a lot*).

And I'm not even asking for a full postmortem like those I mentioned - all they need to do is tweet *while the incident is happening* saying that they are aware and are investigating/working on it.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Osmia

And I'm not even asking for a full postmortem like those I mentioned - all they need to do is tweet *while the incident is happening* saying that they are aware and are investigating/working on it.

That's all I'm saying. I know MFC values their members and their models, because without the two of them, what would they have left? But it's tough to keep that in mind when some models live paycheck to paycheck (or payout to payout) and need every last minute in their room at the end of one, especially when you consider that the site was down several times throughout the month which also could have inhibited their earnings.

I would give JennyBlighe as an example. When she won Miss MFC for May, Leo popped into her room to congratulate her, and said "sorry everyone for all the issues this month, thanks for sticking with us :)" which she then relayed to Twitter--but why couldn't he tweet/have someone tweet that on the official Twitter? Like @weirdbr says, you don't have to go into details (EVERYTHING is speculation at this point) but a little info is better than nothing.

You guys do realize that they have somewhat acknowledged it right? No it's not really enough.. imo, and more communication would be better.. I trust that there's some reason they are not. Not sure if its a stupid reason or not, but... we really have no way of knowing so *shrug*

But i just want to address this since a few people seem to think they have said absolutely nothing on the issue in this thread, and they have.

They sent out newsfeeds and a model news update earlier this month apologizing, and leo did apologize in the #1 room the other night...

• Helpful!
Reactions: AmberCutie
You guys do realize that they have somewhat acknowledged it right?... <SNIP>
They sent out newsfeeds and a model news update earlier this month apologizing, and leo did apologize in the #1 room the other night...

The fact that so many people are unaware that they said anything about it anywhere shows a big issue: that their choice of how/where to publish that information needs to be revisited: newsfeeds are useless if people still are having issues loading the site (and even for those that do, how many people read them? MFC tries to fix that by forcibly showing their own newsfeeds on every room for a day or so, but if you can't access for longer than a day, then they don't show up). And saying it on a model's room is useless for everyone else who isn't on that model's room at that time (luckily she tweeted about it and it got widely retweeted).

Status
Not open for further replies.