AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Why do models have greys turned on?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2022
What is the purpose of leaving greys on to chat? I see top models with over 100k followers with very busy rooms that have greys enabled to talk, and all they do is talk constant bullshit, spam, are abusive etc. They can't tip and seem to annoy everyone so what is the benefit to these models to allow greys to talk when their rooms are full of chatty people who are tipping?

What is the purpose of leaving greys on to chat? I see top models with over 100k followers with very busy rooms that have greys enabled to talk, and all they do is talk constant bullshit, spam, are abusive etc. They can't tip and seem to annoy everyone so what is the benefit to these models to allow greys to talk when their rooms are full of chatty people who are tipping?

While I agree with you completely I think there can be a certain argument to be had that if every single model was to block greys that sales would go down. Me personally I stayed grey for a very brief moment until I encountered a room that required me to have tokens to speak and so I bought tokens 🤷‍♂️ but you know i'm not so sure I would have stuck around long enough to encounter that room if the first room I entered I couldn't chat at all.

Upvote 0
While I agree with you completely I think there can be a certain argument to be had that if every single model was to block greys that sales would go down. Me personally I stayed grey for a very brief moment until I encountered a room that required me to have tokens to speak and so I bought tokens 🤷‍♂️ but you know i'm not so sure I would have stuck around long enough to encounter that room if the first room I entered I couldn't chat at all.
I had a similar experience. Thee was one specific model whose room I would frequent who allowed greys to talk and would treat them like everybody else if they were nice, took part in the room convo, and didn’t ask for free shit. After a week or so I not only understand her perspective on why it was important for users to tip, but it made me want to have similar conversations with other models.

Once I bought tokens, the first thing I did was send her a private tip and thanked her for letting me take part in her room conversation. She sent me a really nice message back, which I appreciated. I am not sure how long it would have taken me to “convert” without her.

Upvote 0
The model I mod for had grey's silenced for over a year. When she went independent she allowed grey's to talk. So far it hasn't been bad. I usually silence those with tokens more than greys. Most greys are lurkers. Users with tokens are often trying to get something free prior to tipping.

We all started as grey's (most of us) until we bought tokens.

Some models ignore the comments and so e silence them.

Reactions: inertvolcano
Upvote 0
I am curious - do models get any kind of credit for “converting” a grey to buy tokens? Maybe some tokens for being the first tip by a new user?

The model I described probably converted others besides me. I know another model who used to have occasional success converting greys who asked for free stuff - instead of berating them she would come back with something like “oooo … I’d love to show you that, it would make me sooooo hot” and then make them aware of how cheap the lowest token package was. She only tried it in greys who had been members for a short time and who were polite.

If it doesn’t exist it seems like some sort of model incentive could be put in place. Both the site and the model benefit from more paying users on the site.

Reactions: yummybrownfox
Upvote 0
I am curious - do models get any kind of credit for “converting” a grey to buy tokens? Maybe some tokens for being the first tip by a new user?

The model I described probably converted others besides me. I know another model who used to have occasional success converting greys who asked for free stuff - instead of berating them she would come back with something like “oooo … I’d love to show you that, it would make me sooooo hot” and then make them aware of how cheap the lowest token package was. She only tried it in greys who had been members for a short time and who were polite.

If it doesn’t exist it seems like some sort of model incentive could be put in place. Both the site and the model benefit from more paying users on the site.
Generally no, not unless they convert after going through the models affiliate link. There might be some sites that are outliers but from what I have seen affiliate link for new account signups is the only way that a model gets any kind of kick back or bouns from converting that member.
This is why there was a big stink about models having members that went through an affiliate link sign up using their affiliate link instead. IMO a way that would have stratified everyone would have been giving the model like 50% of the members first purchase, that way the site and the affiliate get paid for the lifetime and the model gets a small bonus for converting the member.

Reactions: Hiunds and AudriTwo
Upvote 0
On SC there are two situations I think.

You have grey users and then you have unregistered users: "GuestXXXX". Grey users I see no problem with, has been said by others, they can convert to paying users; if they are impolite either the model or their knights can take care of them. However the unregistered users seem to me (whenever I have encountered a room with them in it) to be almost completely out of control.

Reactions: NotYou
Upvote 0
On SC there are two situations I think.

You have grey users and then you have unregistered users: "GuestXXXX". Grey users I see no problem with, has been said by others, they can convert to paying users; if they are impolite either the model or their knights can take care of them. However the unregistered users seem to me (whenever I have encountered a room with them in it) to be almost completely out of control.
Yeah, if I were designing a platform I would be tempted to only allow registered users - it would create more accountability for the user, make it easier to police the accounts and probably cut down on the incidence of minors on the site.

What I don’t know is the relative numbers of these groups. for example, I could see guests being some huge number. If registered users come out if this group after they have tried the site, I could see there being incentive for the site to allow the,. Requiring registration would drastically cut the number of site viewers and probably cut the numbers of new members entering the system

Reactions: Ozzie_
Upvote 0
I can't speak for other models, but when I was on Stripchat...my first two weeks on there I decided that'd I'd allow them to chat during my new girl 2-week period. I was trying to give them a chance to show that some grays can be cool...and actually have conversation beyond just "Ass bb." And I had hoped that some of them would have the mindset of Hey, this chick is pretty cool. Let me start tipping her a lil' something, just like I tip my food delivery person/etc. in real life. But nope. Lol. I remember one gray member being in my chat everyday, and laying it on thick with that nice guy/lovey-dovey stuff. When I announced beforehand that I'd soon be disable grays after my two weeks is up (just to give a heads up that they wouldn't be able to chat), he said he was gonna upgrade and get tokens so he could continue chatting with me. Well I saw that he did upgrade and buy tokens, however he NEVER spend a single one on me. But he continued to come to my chat...only this time he'd totally stopped talking to me and only lurked. 🙄

Upvote 0
I don't know why models allow Grey's to Chat. Many clutter Public Chat with the filthiest comments. Many have been members for Several years. For every one Grey that Eventually purchases tokens, there are thousands that never will. Imo, a model's room should not be FREE Speech. Have some tokens in your pocket.

Upvote 0
I can't speak for other models, but when I was on Stripchat...my first two weeks on there I decided that'd I'd allow them to chat during my new girl 2-week period. I was trying to give them a chance to show that some grays can be cool...and actually have conversation beyond just "Ass bb." And I had hoped that some of them would have the mindset of Hey, this chick is pretty cool. Let me start tipping her a lil' something, just like I tip my food delivery person/etc. in real life. But nope. Lol. I remember one gray member being in my chat everyday, and laying it on thick with that nice guy/lovey-dovey stuff. When I announced beforehand that I'd soon be disable grays after my two weeks is up (just to give a heads up that they wouldn't be able to chat), he said he was gonna upgrade and get tokens so he could continue chatting with me. Well I saw that he did upgrade and buy tokens, however he NEVER spend a single one on me. But he continued to come to my chat...only this time he'd totally stopped talking to me and only lurked. 🙄
That's right yummybrownfox. I'm the only Knight for a StripChat model. The best thing she did for her business, her faithful tippers and her Knight was to disable the ability of Gray's to write. Oh, they still lurk but now they can just mumble to themselves and.... it's so nice!

Reactions: yummybrownfox
Upvote 0
Just my 2 cents fwiw as a viewer, but not all greys are rude and demanding. Allowing them to chat at least provides an opportunity to show behaviour without assuming the worst of them with a group label, then mute/kick/ban just the problem ones.
I've had some nice interactions with grey users over the years, especially when they contribute positively to the room, even if they're not contributing financially to the model.
And I have seen quite a few greys eventually get tokens, become regular tippers and even join fan clubs when their circumstances change.
As someone already mentioned, other coloured users can behave badly too. And as for freeloading, some of the serial non-tippers in the (CB) rooms I frequent are blues and purples.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree how annoying GUESTS # are when they are allowed to chat, BUT I can completely see why it's an option both from the platform and the models allowing it. It helps to give a taster of what it is like to chat with a model, it's just unfortunate that most of them are rude, demanding or excessive with compliments etc. But I do completely see the point of it.

This topic is interesting because it was only 2 days ago when there was a grey in a model's room and she was not responding to all his messages, and he got bitchy about it and started to ask and argue "why do you let greys talk if you aren't going to talk back to them?". I had to go away from my computer but she did start to tell him but I didn't hear the reason/s why she herself said.
I think it can depend in many instances on what the guy is saying, if there is another conversation happening, etc. I mean, this model in particular hates guys who suck up to her and kiss ass - regardless of colour. As you can tell this grey guy kept doing stupid 1 liners for compliments and just being cheesy etc so I am sure that is why she ignored him. And I can see why others do the same.

But I think if a grey actually says "hello" and talks to a model without coming across weird, creepy, demanding and rude, then it's great and this is the reason WHY greys are allowed to chat.
I was one of the polite greys for a while before buying tokens. The model was always so nice and polite to everyone but ignored the rude guys/greys/colours, and only focused on those talking and being nice etc. And it was those interactions that made me finally decide to buy my first tokens and spend on her. And the rest is history - now I am an addicted pervert hahaha

Upvote 0
I have told obnoxious greys to get their parent's credit card to buy some tokens. They usually leave.

Personally I am bored without tokens. Sometimes in the room I mod for I feel like an outsider if I do not tip a little. ❤️

Upvote 0
Personally I have converted several greys by being nice initially and then telling they have to tip to continue interacting. One gray bought 2000 tokens and spend them all on me in like 30 min lol. I only block them when the bots are getting really bad

Reactions: Ozzie_ and NotYou
Upvote 0
Personally I have converted several greys by being nice initially and then telling they have to tip to continue interacting. One gray bought 2000 tokens and spend them all on me in like 30 min lol. I only block them when the bots are getting really bad
Obviously, there are some "conversions." Are there really That Many? It doesn't matter though. Each model can decide how they want to run their "business." They have to be comfortable with what's good for them. Gray's have Unlimited possibilities to visit models who allow chatting until they Finally find one they are "comfortable with” and Want to finally buy tokens. It's up to the Models and the Gray viewers. These sites offer something for everyone. 🙂

Reactions: LuckyLuciG
Upvote 0
Well I saw that he did upgrade and buy tokens, however he NEVER spend a single one on me. But he continued to come to my chat...only this time he'd totally stopped talking to me and only lurked. 🙄
I had a grey, who I was chatty with for some time and eventually bought tokens, that they "felt awkward tipping a friend". I was like WTF at first but I guess i understand it. I eventually stopped being so friendly with them and they have since evaporated from my room altogether.

Reactions: Diana_Devil
Upvote 0
Obviously, there are some "conversions." Are there really That Many? It doesn't matter though. Each model can decide how they want to run their "business." They have to be comfortable with what's good for them. Gray's have Unlimited possibilities to visit models who allow chatting until they Finally find one they are "comfortable with” and Want to finally buy tokens. It's up to the Models and the Gray viewers. These sites offer something for everyone. 🙂
"Business" ?????? That's a bit insulting.

Reactions: mika_kedi
Upvote 0
Everyone who hasn't tipped ME yet is basically a grey for me. You might be purple on CB or red on SC, but it means nothing to me unless some of these tokens were spent on me.

So I allow grey chat (most of the time). I turn it off when I'm about to start a show I don't want to have to interrupt to ban or if I'm just not in the mood to deal, but in my experience some of the worst behaving guys in my chat were purples (on CB) and reds (on SC) who expected me to do whatever they said and beg for tokens they were dangling in front of me but not spending.

I think the main problem with greys is the fact that there is just significantly more of them than paying users, so by volume we see more of their shitty messages. If my room was really busy or I changed my shows and their new format would make reaching to my keyboard to ban more difficult I would probably permanently turn off grey chat to make moderating easier.

Upvote 0
My SINCERE apologies for a poor word choice. All I meant is each model should do what is good for them. Sorry. 🌹
The word was not a problem here, quotation marks were. It is a business, not "business".

Upvote 1
The word was not a problem here, quotation marks were. It is a business, not "

The word was not a problem here, quotation marks were. It is a business, not "business".
Thank you for educating me. When I saw your reply, I didn't know what I did wrong but knew it was something. I did feel bad. I understand now and I'm still sorry. 🌹

• Hugs
Upvote 0
Having greys turned on is the default setting and it says "recommended" next to it in the control settings. When I used stripchat previously I left it on because it was recommended and I didn't have any experience as a new cam model.

I opened a new account this week and this time I won't leave it on because I found it so annoying that my chat was flooded with "show feet" SHOW FEET BB" WHY AREN'T YOU SHOWING FEET!!!!" "show something", etc. from users who don't even have the ability to tip for their requests. There are some really nice and funny greys, so it's too bad they get thrown out with the trash greys, but with experience I have learned that members will watch how I interact with others and decide to spend based on that. They don't need to talk to me to decide whether they like my personality. From personal experience too, on MFC I signed up as a spending user so I could join the conversation in a room I found myself visiting all the time that had greys blocked.

I mean if I could generate ad revenue based on viewer count then I'd let everyone talk... lol

Upvote 0
Thank you for educating me. When I saw your reply, I didn't know what I did wrong but knew it was something. I did feel bad. I understand now and I'm still sorry. 🌹
Thanks for the apology, all good 🙂

• Hugs
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.