AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Why do so many people hate fruit cake?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people have never eaten fruit cake, they just say they hate fruit cake. Saying you hate fruit cake is a part of modern culture, or something you could call a cultural meme. Lots of people grew up with fruit cakes being the butt of jokes on broadcast television sitcoms during the Christmas season.

We're spoiled. Fruitcake was made to be stored and rationed. We're all so used to having access to fresh fruit, nuts and baking ingredients year round that fruitcake doesn't seem special or necessary. A lot of home cooks these days also seem to shy away from cooking with alcohol. I guess that probably takes some of the fun out of a fruitcake too. Hehe.

my nan made some bomb ass fruitcake.

Reactions: Theo Theater
I'm allergic and will die so thats why I don't like it..

• Hugs
  • Sorry to hear that.
Reactions: AudriTwo and Guy
I've eaten fruit cake, my entire family loooooves it. I despise it with a fiery passion. It's disgusting. I've tried just about every incarnation of it you can imagine (forcibly, of course), from those soaked in rum, to those just slightly spritzed with it, to those not made with gummy candies, and I just... cannot stand the stuff.

now, fruit breads? Like, zucchini bread or banana bread? Fuck yeah!

Why do so many people hate fruit cake?

I love all kinds of fruit cake... from simple cherry cake, sultana loaf, all the way up to a fully decorated Christmas cake with all the trimmings. Shop bought ones can be dodgy on occasion.. too dry, too heavy etc, but there are tons of variations out there to provide alternatives. IMO, saying you don't like all fruit cake is a bit like having a dodgy plate of fusilli and then declaring that you dislike all pasta! o_O

Also, if you check out the "free from" aisle in your local supermarket you can find nut free, gluten free, wheat free, alcohol free dairy free etc., so there are tons to choose from.

P.S. Btw... fusilli rocks!

:cool:

• Helpful!
Reactions: n_i_c_u and Gen
I don't think I've ever had fruitcake (if I did when I was younger it wasn't a horrible experience that I remember). It is interesting to see the responses. I might have to try one some day. Vegetarian fruitcake? Is that a thing? I've never had Spam either, though it seems to be big in a place I would love to live. No sardines from a can either--damn, my dad used to open that can up in his work area at home and put them on a cracker and I would just run out of the area (all you parents out there: want to get rid of annoying kids? Just open up a can of sardines!) LOL.

All I've ever had was bad fruitcake. I like the idea of it, I just haven't decided to go on a hunt for GOOD fruitcake. I guess I'm too lazy.

I've never had fruit cake, and I'm not totally sure what it contains. From pictures it looks like very dense cake with fruity gummy candy inside? I like gummies, and I like cake, but I don't know what to make of combining the two. That said, mass media claims that brussels sprouts are gross, and I really like them. Also, pickled herring is the ultimate Xmas food in my family, so...
Vegetarian fruitcake? Is that a thing?
Maybe I'm seriously missing something regarding the contents of a fruitcake, but why would it NOT be vegetarian? Obviously making a vegan cake is a challenge, but aren't most cakes vegetarian? Are people still cooking with lard or something? (This is a real question - I don't bake very much, and I don't look that closely at the nutrition labels on cake.)

Maybe I'm seriously missing something regarding the contents of a fruitcake, but why would it NOT be vegetarian? Obviously making a vegan cake is a challenge, but aren't most cakes vegetarian? Are people still cooking with lard or something? (This is a real question - I don't bake very much, and I don't look that closely at the nutrition labels on cake.)

I don't know for sure as I have never eaten it or gifted it or been gifted it. I would guess the ingredients for fruitcake might be on the package if you purchase it in the store. I found this site:

http://fruitcakerescue.com/ingredients.htm

It mentions a suet/fat as being a part of it, but oddly enough, the recipes on the same site don't mention suet (unless I missed it in the fine print). I guess, unless someone makes it from scratch I can always check the ingredients, although I never knew what suet was until I read that. It probably isn't important and probably depends on how old school the person/corporation making it is. :)

I don't know for sure as I have never eaten it or gifted it or been gifted it. I would guess the ingredients for fruitcake might be on the package if you purchase it in the store. I found this site:

http://fruitcakerescue.com/ingredients.htm

It mentions a suet/fat as being a part of it, but oddly enough, the recipes on the same site don't mention suet (unless I missed it in the fine print). I guess, unless someone makes it from scratch I can always check the ingredients, although I never knew what suet was until I read that. It probably isn't important and probably depends on how old school the person/corporation making it is. :)
Huh...! Well TIL many things! Firstly, I thought suet was another word for sinew, which it is not (suet is hard animal fat). Then I learned that it is a critical ingredient in many British dishes, including the infamous spotted dick. While I've never had the courage to google "spotted dick," I absolutely clicked on the handy Wikipedia link and discovered that it's not nearly as foreboding as it sounds, and appears to be a close relative of fruitcake! I also learned that the British version of "pudding" is nothing like the American version, and seems to include things that we would refer to as cakes, sausages, and pot pies.

• Funny!
Reactions: n_i_c_u
Huh...! Well TIL many things! Firstly, I thought suet was another word for sinew, which it is not (suet is hard animal fat). Then I learned that it is a critical ingredient in many British dishes, including the infamous spotted dick. While I've never had the courage to google "spotted dick," I absolutely clicked on the handy Wikipedia link and discovered that it's not nearly as foreboding as it sounds, and appears to be a close relative of fruitcake! I also learned that the British version of "pudding" is nothing like the American version, and seems to include things that we would refer to as cakes, sausages, and pot pies.

See now, this is one of those instances where I want to 'helpful' your post and also find it 'funny.'

I have to go with funny just because I'm never gonna look up spotted dick either (sounds like a superhero)!

• Funny!
Reactions: Ms_Gingersnatch
I'm never gonna look up spotted dick either (sounds like a superhero)!
:hilarious::hilarious: I genuinely can't decide if "superhero" was what autocorrect wrote when you typed "STD," or if there are people that do not immediately think "venereal disease" when they hear "spotted dick." Considering that Brits still seem to eat the food and haven't changed the name, clearly they aren't troubled by it.
(The link in my post goes to the wikipedia page, if you're curious to see a picture and possible explanations for the name.)

I've only had a fresh fruitcake once. And I thought it was alright. And I can also count on one hand the number of times I've had your Holiday basket variety of fruitcake which I would say was awful each time.

I think overall I would some what compare it to my experience with punch bowl cake. I have an aunt that makes an awesome one. Anyone else's or a manufactured one has been gross in my tasting experience.

So for the most part I just say I hate both if offered.

I've always heard that fruitcake is rock hard and gross. But a coworker made one once, with dried fruit instead of the gummy ones, and it was delightful. That's my sole experience with fruit cake, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.