AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Will it show up in an employment background check?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueViolet

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Aug 21, 2011
Does anyone know if a 1099 will show up on an employment background check? Or credit check, etc.?

Or any background check that is very thorough? I heard that only employers show up and independent contractor 1099s do not, except sometimes the business that issued you the 1099 will show up (MFC as "mfcxy", Streamate as "streamates"). But I heard that is usually only if you deposit your checks at a bank and they list it as "potential employer" or something.

I also read that if it does, it will show up the job title you listed on your taxes so if you list "webcam model" that could show up or "chat host" if that's what you put. How would I find out anyway?

I'm talking about serious employment checks for like nursing, school teachers, etc.

eta:
Being discovered by looks is another topic really, I'm only concerned about knowing the actual hard data of passing background checks.

This is what I've learned from a family member who works for the IRS, and my own research. If any of it's wrong, please correct me!

Only federal jobs will look at your tax returns during employment consideration (liens don't count, those are public knowledge if it's been less than 7 years, but won't reveal camming). Technically, any job can request a 4506 or 4506T, you need to agree and sign that, then send it into the IRS, but jobs virtually never ask for that. More commonly, some jobs, particularly sales jobs, will ask for previous W-2s or 1099s, to prove your income, and you can just omit that.

Part of an in-depth background check can include checking all businesses from which your SSN has had taxes taken from. Since you did not pay taxes to your employer as a camgirl, it won't show up there. If you're in a studio that takes out the taxes, then it might. I did some research on the bank/check thing and couldn't come up with anything, so that looks safe.

That said, I honestly believe that if someone wants to get into that kind of field (teaching, nursing, police, etc) they would be better off not camming.

Thank you so much for your answer.

While I agree with the last statement, I've always been so sure that I just want to run a working farm and therefore it wouldn't matter if I did camming. Only, recently, I feel so foolish because I've had such a hard time pushing away the fact that I feel so passionately about wanting to teach as well. I feel there is so much wrong with the education system and I truly believe I'd be able to help students cultivate their creativity and use it productively--in particular middle school to high school, which the hard part here. I just can't shake it.

I know that if I get out of camming soon, I'm not too worried about being discovered. I cam two nights a week at most for maybe 2 - 3 hours a night making just enough to pay my bills and am not very well known. I know how to make myself look completely unrecognizable with new hair, makeup, accessories, contacts, and clothing. Not to mention I would have to go back to school for few years and I'll be older.

I was thinking about getting my TEFL certificate to teach English overseas in South Korea and I figure that would be the easiest way to teach. If I taught overseas for a while and have volunteer and other independent contracting experience in vanilla activities, I figure it would be easier to get a job here teaching foreign language.

If my employment history or tax return history will inhibit me from getting a teaching job in the public school system (which is what I'd really prefer), maybe getting a job at a private school might be easier here. But I'd rather not teach private school. And I really do not wish to teach adults which most people suggest as an alternative.

Ugh, I just feel so mad at myself now if I can't do something I really want to do because I chose to cam. : /

NataliaGrey said:
Only federal jobs will look at your tax returns during employment consideration (liens don't count, those are public knowledge if it's been less than 7 years, but won't reveal camming). Technically, any job can request a 4506 or 4506T, you need to agree and sign that, then send it into the IRS, but jobs virtually never ask for that. More commonly, some jobs, particularly sales jobs, will ask for previous W-2s or 1099s, to prove your income, and you can just omit that.

Part of an in-depth background check can include checking all businesses from which your SSN has had taxes taken from. Since you did not pay taxes to your employer as a camgirl, it won't show up there. If you're in a studio that takes out the taxes, then it might. I did some research on the bank/check thing and couldn't come up with anything, so that looks safe.

If they look at tax returns, will they be able to determine the actual having cammed? I mean, I guess they would see the "streamates" or "mfcxy" but if you right down "Internet Host" or something generic, would they be able to tell?

I don't work for a studio or anything so my taxes were not taken from any of my checks and I get payed out by Payoneer so my checks aren't linked with any bank.

Reactions: emptiedglass
I had to submit the last three years of tax returns for an IT job I had a couple years ago. So, I think it depends on the employer. If asked, you could always say you work for the "technical" side of those websites dealing with customer service issues, etc. (I mean, you technically do deal with customer service issues...)

:)

lilithgrant said:
I had to submit the last three years of tax returns for an IT job I had a couple years ago. So, I think it depends on the employer. If asked, you could always say you work for the "technical" side of those websites dealing with customer service issues, etc. (I mean, you technically do deal with customer service issues...)

The problem with that is, that they probably won't bother to ask. Once they reach a conclusion on their own that someone has gotten naked for money, they probably won't even want to ask. That's the world we live in today. :oops: Maybe the world of tomorrow will be better.

Teaching English as a foreign language is an amazing alternative. You may very well wind up teaching the same age you want to teach.

And I hate to be snippy about it, but young teachers who think they can revolutionize the school system are a dime a dozen. You have better chances of revolutionizing North Korean politics. XD HAHAHAH!

ETA: Just saw you guys on SM for a moment. Have to add, you two are GORGEOUS!!! O_O Such beautiful ladies!!!

Jillybean said:
lilithgrant said:

The problem with that is, that they probably won't bother to ask. Once they reach a conclusion on their own that someone has gotten naked for money, they probably won't even want to ask. That's the world we live in today. :oops: Maybe the world of tomorrow will be better.

Teaching English as a foreign language is an amazing alternative. You may very well wind up teaching the same age you want to teach.

And I hate to be snippy about it, but young teachers who think they can revolutionize the school system are a dime a dozen. You have better chances of revolutionizing North Korean politics. XD HAHAHAH!

ETA: Just saw you guys on SM for a moment. Have to add, you two are GORGEOUS!!! O_O Such beautiful ladies!!!

Aw, thanks : )

I'm not out to revolutionize the school system, I just love to teach. I don't think the American school system is going to change anytime soon, I would just like to be one of those teachers that made a difference in my own life.

It's not really about the school system here anyway, I don't care where I teach geographically speaking and I feel that everything happens for a reason. Maybe me having a passion to teach but being restricted due to my choice in profession forces me to teach in another country for a reason. I think it is... because I've always wanted to travel and explore the world, and what a better way to force me to? That's just the way I see it.

ESL teachers are in high demand in many parts of the world.

Also, if I wouldn't plan on trying to teach here in the US for probably another 6 - 10 years... So giving tax records for the past three years would be fine, but if they went back further I don't know if they'd see streamate or mfc show up.

But it would just be easier to teach in another country anyway, less of a chance of being outed and if so I could just teach elsewhere. I think doing ESL would be the best route for me so long as I'm not disqualified for the same reasons here. I don't think they'd do as detailed of employment check especially in more rural areas.

BlueViolet said:
Jillybean said:
lilithgrant said:

Aw, thanks : )

I'm not out to revolutionize the school system, I just love to teach. I don't think the American school system is going to change anytime soon, I would just like to be one of those teachers that made a difference in my own life.

It's not really about the school system here anyway, I don't care where I teach geographically speaking and I feel that everything happens for a reason. Maybe me having a passion to teach but being restricted due to my choice in profession forces me to teach in another country for a reason. I think it is... because I've always wanted to travel and explore the world, and what a better way to force me to? That's just the way I see it.

Also, if I wouldn't plan on trying to teach here in the US for probably another 6 - 10 years... So giving tax records for the past three years would be fine, but if they went back further I don't know if they'd see streamate or mfc show up.

But it would just be easier to teach in another country anyway, less of a chance of being outed and if so I could just teach elsewhere. I think doing ESL would be the best route for me so long as I'm not disqualified for the same reasons here. I don't think they'd do as detailed of employment check especially in more rural areas.

And doing English in another country is bound to stick you in a rural area eventually. :p My dream (and the whole reason I went back to school in the first place) is to teach English in Japan and live over there for as long as I can! I don't think working on SM or MFC is going to hurt my chances of that happening.

I really think it's a huge shame that there's all this stigma over our jobs because we just want to earn a buck. I hate people who say it's not a "decent way" to make a living. :roll:
I really, really wish I could give you a high five for saying you just want to make a difference in individual kids' lives! :dance: WE NEED TEACHERS LIKE THIS!!!

ESL teachers are in high demand in many parts of the world, though. And you know those kids are going to give you more attention because you're foreign and exotic and know things about the world. At least they think you do, hehe.

If you want to travel the world doing it, you won't be disappointed. Like you said, they're in demand everywhere. And maybe even after a while doing that, you can land a job over in the states based on your experience! Maybe then they will be willing to ask you about your past employment (and then you can tell them that you did background work and basically lie to their faces) rather than write you off right away.

Good luck to you!

Jillybean said:
And doing English in another country is bound to stick you in a rural area eventually. :p My dream (and the whole reason I went back to school in the first place) is to teach English in Japan and live over there for as long as I can! I don't think working on SM or MFC is going to hurt my chances of that happening.

I really think it's a huge shame that there's all this stigma over our jobs because we just want to earn a buck. I hate people who say it's not a "decent way" to make a living. :roll:
I really, really wish I could give you a high five for saying you just want to make a difference in individual kids' lives! :dance: WE NEED TEACHERS LIKE THIS!!!

ESL teachers are in high demand in many parts of the world, though. And you know those kids are going to give you more attention because you're foreign and exotic and know things about the world. At least they think you do, hehe.

If you want to travel the world doing it, you won't be disappointed. Like you said, they're in demand everywhere. And maybe even after a while doing that, you can land a job over in the states based on your experience! Maybe then they will be willing to ask you about your past employment (and then you can tell them that you did background work and basically lie to their faces) rather than write you off right away.

Good luck to you!

Thanks, you too! : ) Teaching in Japan is something I'd like to do as well, especially since it's only a two hour and fifty-five minute ferry ride from Korea. I plan on visiting it a lot while I'm staying there anyway, and I already almost understand Japanese conversationally. I know nothing about Korean, yet! But I'd like to eventually be able to teach in Japan, Taiwan, and Thailand at some point.

I'm pretty excited about finishing school, now! I'm going to try and learn as much Korean starting now and while I'm finishing my degree. I definitely think getting a lot of work experience abroad will help my chances of getting a job when I come back if that's what I still want to do, and if I'm still limited, I think I'll just be happy knowing I can teach somewhere, you know. Especially awesome places full of so much culture.

:-D We should definitely keep in touch, because if you are teaching in Japan and I'm in Korea, we could easily visit one another!

BlueViolet said:
If they look at tax returns, will they be able to determine the actual having cammed? I mean, I guess they would see the "streamates" or "mfcxy" but if you right down "Internet Host" or something generic, would they be able to tell?

I don't work for a studio or anything so my taxes were not taken from any of my checks and I get payed out by Payoneer so my checks aren't linked with any bank.

Oh yeah, they'll definitely connect the dots there. You could just put model and go with standard deductions, which would make it a little less sketchy.

I imagine most private schools would actually be harsher on you, since most are religious. You might be able to find something more liberal (Montessori school?), but I'm not sure. Your best chance would some ghetto, low-funded public school that is desperate for teachers that will accept low wages, and then move on from there. ESL would be much more inviting, and a really cool experience!

Just so you know, teaching isn't a federal job, so most likely they won't see your tax records. but if they do request them it won't be many years worth, I wouldn't think.

NataliaGrey said:
Oh yeah, they'll definitely connect the dots there. You could just put model and go with standard deductions, which would make it a little less sketchy.

I imagine most private schools would actually be harsher on you, since most are religious. You might be able to find something more liberal (Montessori school?), but I'm not sure. Your best chance would some ghetto, low-funded public school that is desperate for teachers that will accept low wages, and then move on from there. ESL would be much more inviting, and a really cool experience!

Just so you know, teaching isn't a federal job, so most likely they won't see your tax records. but if they do request them it won't be many years worth, I wouldn't think.

Thanks so much. Yeah, I was thinking about the whole religious part of private schools, but where I am at, most private schools here have lower requirements than the public schools, not that I'd really want to really work there. I went to a Southern Baptist private school and I had teachers who didn't even have a four-year degree or even a teaching license.

But yeah, I was thinking that it was a federal job for some reason, so that is really awesome to know. Actually, most of the schools I was looking at teaching at here for the long-term are very low-income, low-funded schools because they are in super rural, southern areas because that's where I'm moving to get my farm eventually. I think I'll just teach ESL and put away some money for a few years and come back and buy a property wherever I can get a teaching job.

Reactions: emptiedglass
If you don't mind being so far away from friends & family, go for ESL.
If I could turn the clock back a decade or so, it's definitely what I'd do.
A friend from university took a year off and taught in Japan. We all thought she was nuts until she returned the following year... with more than enough cash to pay her entire year. :shock:

One thing I do not understand is, how do you teach ESL if you are not fluent in their language? Maybe it is something very basic I am missing and have not had enough interest in to research how this is done. :lol:

Just Me said:
One thing I do not understand is, how do you teach ESL if you are not fluent in their language? Maybe it is something very basic I am missing and have not had enough interest in to research how this is done. :lol:

I wouldn't personally teach unless I had a very strong grasp on the language, but that's just me. I know about an ESL teacher who only knew nine words in Korean where she was teaching, some schools prefer that you don't know any of their language so the class can be fully in English.

I don't think I could teach like that. I would need to be able to communicate in both languages to teach it properly. I know Japanese pretty conversationally and I've started studying Korean and it's pretty similar in sound, so it shouldn't be hard to learn it.

emptiedglass said:
If you don't mind being so far away from friends & family, go for ESL.
If I could turn the clock back a decade or so, it's definitely what I'd do.
A friend from university took a year off and taught in Japan. We all thought she was nuts until she returned the following year... with more than enough cash to pay her entire year. :shock:

Yeah, I am pretty much a shut in so moving away wouldn't be a big deal for me. Most schools in Korea and Japan pay for teacher housing for ESL teachers so you can put away a good bit with that. I hear it's pretty normal to have between $500 - $1200 extra a month to save, though I'll probably have to just take the housing stipend and live elsewhere because the housing is usually single occupancy.

BlueViolet said:
Jillybean said:

Good luck to you!

Thanks, you too! : ) Teaching in Japan is something I'd like to do as well, especially since it's only a two hour and fifty-five minute ferry ride from Korea. I plan on visiting it a lot while I'm staying there anyway, and I already almost understand Japanese conversationally. I know nothing about Korean, yet! But I'd like to eventually be able to teach in Japan, Taiwan, and Thailand at some point.

I'm pretty excited about finishing school, now! I'm going to try and learn as much Korean starting now and while I'm finishing my degree. I definitely think getting a lot of work experience abroad will help my chances of getting a job when I come back if that's what I still want to do, and if I'm still limited, I think I'll just be happy knowing I can teach somewhere, you know. Especially awesome places full of so much culture.

:-D We should definitely keep in touch, because if you are teaching in Japan and I'm in Korea, we could easily visit one another!

Oh girl! Hahaha. I will SO hit you up! I want to see South Korea (and meet all the sexy pop singers) too so we will be going back and forth! :p

Just Me said:

In Japan, at most conversation schools they don't want you speaking any Japanese at all, ever, to the students. They want them to come into that classroom completely immersed. It's actually the best way to learn.

でも、少しわかります。 But, I understand a little. :p

Also, in the JET programme, they place you as an ALT, an assistant teacher. There is usually another teacher, who speaks English and Japanese running the class. :)

I plan to work in a conversation school because you get more control over where you're placed, but if worse comes to worse, I'll work through the JET programme. :p

Jillybean said:
Also, in the JET programme, they place you as an ALT, an assistant teacher. There is usually another teacher, who speaks English and Japanese running the class. :)

I plan to work in a conversation school because you get more control over where you're placed, but if worse comes to worse, I'll work through the JET programme. :p

Are all English language teachers in Japan placed as ALTs, or in Korea/Taiwan/Thailand/etc. if you know?

I don't care very much where I'm placed, though I'd prefer somewhere more rural and at preferably a high school. One of the reasons I want to teach is to have as much creative control over the lessons so teaching as an assistant doesn't really appeal to me. I can work with a provided syllabus, but I love coming up with lesson plans and I know that what an ALT does is up to the discretion of the teacher and some have a lot of freedom while others are just walking tape recorders for pronunciation.

It seems like it's mostly the luck-of-the-draw as to how much input you have in the classroom and pretty much anywhere in Japan, Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, etc. the foreign English teachers are all pretty much considered ALTs.

I'm reading lots of stories on how diverse the co-teacher situation is, from teachers sitting in the back of the class on their phone and not participating, co-teachers not showing up for class, to co-teachers who only allow you to participate during pronunciation and you pretty much just get paid for doing nothing and co-teachers who expect you to come up with lesson plans and then dissect it and change it until you aren't doing anything.

I don't mind a co-teacher, but I would prefer to be more than an assistant, you know? I'd like to have input on lesson plans and actually being able to see a difference in their language ability over time from teaching them.

Reactions: Jillybean
BlueViolet said:
It seems like it's mostly the luck-of-the-draw as to how much input you have in the classroom and pretty much anywhere in Japan, Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, etc. the foreign English teachers are all pretty much considered ALTs.

I'm reading lots of stories on how diverse the co-teacher situation is, from teachers sitting in the back of the class on their phone and not participating, co-teachers not showing up for class, to co-teachers who only allow you to participate during pronunciation and you pretty much just get paid for doing nothing and co-teachers who expect you to come up with lesson plans and then dissect it and change it until you aren't doing anything.

I don't mind a co-teacher, but I would prefer to be more than an assistant, you know? I'd like to have input on lesson plans and actually being able to see a difference in their language ability over time from teaching them.

I feel the same as you! I think that how much control you get depends on your experience teaching, and your attitude. If you legitimately WANT to help, and you CAN help, then of course you should be able to help. You can always tell the school, or the program your experiences if you're feeling undervalued and they can try to do something about it.

If you offer help, and are completely blocked from providing any help, then you should definitely complain about it. But if you never offer help, don't complain about never being given any control. Do you know what I mean, because I'm not making any sense? LOL!

Reactions: BlueViolet
In starting most occupations, there is a period where you don't know anything, regardless of your credentials, and are learning the ropes. Just like with camming. Maybe you will get lucky and everything will work out great, but you have to remember, that the folks you are working with will be made aware of your lack of experience, and might not be willing to trust you with their classes. The outcomes will reflect on them, and they most likely treat teaching as a career and not an adventure.

Also, your ability to communicate in the native language will influence how well you can get the locals on your side.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it at all anymore. Regardless, I'll have a wonderful experience and I'll help out as much as I can. I've been talking to other English teachers from Japan and Korea and they tell me that it just depends on how the teacher wants to use them, some lead some just help, and I'm okay with whatever works for them.

Before going over, I plan on learning the language just because I feel like it would make the experience a lot better. I'm going to have to finish my Bachelor's before going there and I'm going to try to get some volunteer experience in teaching or tutoring at least. Anyway, I'm pretty excited and I finally feel like I have a game plan in my head now which is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.