AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Your fav comic books and graphic novels?.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2011
Essex/UK
I have not read a decent comic or graphic novel for quite some time even though own a pretty big collection.
Heres my favs :-

Batman:-
A killing joke , awesome story, excellent Brian bolland artwork.
Digital justice, only because it was a first when it came out.
Batman - Judge Dredd.
Arkham Asylum, Chilling story, awesome air brush artwork by Dave McKean.
A death in the family, Controversial killing of Robin.

Superman :-
The death and return, have the original black and white new-stand lmtd packs plus the novel version.

Chopper: song of the surfer, very very sad story, 2000AD fans will know this one.
Judge Dredd: America, brill story, I have the front cover tattooed on my right shin.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    708.9 KB · Views: 145
Not big on comics but the first graphic novel that comes to mind is "Image of the Beast" by Phillip José
Farmer.

It's a combination horror, SF, fantasy and detective novel. :) Very graphic scenes but written extremely well. :)

PS: It has a sequel too, "Blown."
PSS: There's a comic based on it too. lol

I miss comics. I had to quit them when I was unemployed and just never got back to collecting.

For me Walking Dead was best written thing when I stopped. Kirkman's superhero Invincible was great, too.
Fables was brilliant, though I haven't bothered to finish the crossover trade with Jack of Fables, so I wonder if it's lost it's luster.
Grant Morrison's run on JLA and especially his run on Animal Man are faves. Arkham Asylum, as well. And I'm usually annoyed by his writing- he just seems to try and talk over the reader to appear superior. Or maybe I just read it that way.
I'll read just about anything written by Mark Millar. Same with Warren Ellis.

What I really really miss though- Poison Elves. Drew Hayes did something no other comics writer had done and that was let you in on his life at the beginning of each book. Good, bad, or in between, he let the reader know what was going on and I identified a lot with his artistic struggles. When I learned he died I felt like I'd lost a friend.

Also, Maus: both volumes. Brilliant work.

Now I just read a few web-comics

Some of my favorites-

Walking Dead, Green Lantern: Blackest Night, Transfomers: The War Within, Battle Royale (manga), Akira (manga) , Marvel Zombies, Pre one more day/brand new day Spider-Man

i just saw a potential trailer for a Luke Cage movie, with Isaiah Mustafa as the lead. Could be interesting, no?

Watchmen loved it as soon as I read it.

Astonishing X-men 1-4. It did what I thought was impossible, It made me like and respect Cyclops. Its written by Joss Whedon so that also helps contribute to why I love it so much.

I'm currently reading the Early Works of Winsor McCay. He's the guy that influenced Walt Disney heavily with his early animations. He's got some great comic strips and I've heard great things about his animation (no doubt if it influenced Disney before becoming the empire it is today). Probably not what you were thinking, but given what I've been reading and doing the last week (hint: nothing but comics) the most enjoyable thing I can think of is reading his works.
I'll have to post pictures of my collection later this week, I would love to compare it to others and see what they're collecting.

For sure, my favorite would be RASL...
Though I also like some series of manga: Adolf, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Kami No Nawa, Akira (one of my top... and a master work. I really recommend it), ah... and let's not forget Dragon Ball (I grew up with it, sorry)
Hmm... and a couple Spanish comic series I bet nobody has heard of, so... whatever.

Ehm... I can see now I'm not a huge comic collector, hehe.

Hellblazer. Absolutely has to be my favorite comic series with my favorite character. It's weird to say that now because when I first found out about it my first thought was "A comic STARTED in the 1980's? :? " My favorite storyline from it will always be "Empathy is the Enemy". The cover art for some of the books in that are some of my favorite images. I even went so far earlier this year to have a suedo-half sleeve of ol' Johnny tattooed on my arm.

Others that I easily dive into are Batman, The Walking Dead (only comic series I've ever experienced to pull on my heart strings in a big way) & Marvel Zombies.

Attachments

• Picture 572.jpg
    Picture 572.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 92
August 31st is the END of the DC comics as we know it with the finale of Flashpoint. Justice League #1 releases the same day starting a NEW era of DC comics and the relaunch of 51 more series by DC all starting over from issue #1.

Keithy said:
August 31st is the END of the DC comics as we know it with the finale of Flashpoint. Justice League #1 releases the same day starting a NEW era of DC comics and the relaunch of 51 more series by DC all starting over from issue #1.
Again?

lordmagellan said:
Keithy said:
Again?

No, this isn't a restructure like Crisis that's used to clean up crap. This is actually a total reboot. They have never done a reboot like this, nor have they reset all the counters to #1. Their is debate on if Action Comics will continue as is or if it will end at #904.

Am I seriously the only Lone Wolf and Cub fan here?? Do yourselves a favour and check it out :p

Keithy said:
lordmagellan said:
Keithy said:
Again?

No, this isn't a restructure like Crisis that's used to clean up crap. This is actually a total reboot. They have never done a reboot like this, nor have they reset all the counters to #1. Their is debate on if Action Comics will continue as is or if it will end at #904.

Well, that debate is over, they're restarting at #1 with Grant Morrison writing (I think I seriously got a boner when I read that the first time).

Cause my favorite comic is All-Star Superman by Mr Morrison. Followed closely by his Seven Soldiers. And his Final Crisis, but most especially his Superman Beyond side story in FC. And his Batman stuff, despite not having finished it all, yet, cause it's fucking LONG.

And Darwyn Cooke's JLA: New Frontier. And his adaptations of Parker and The Outfit. Nie noir type stuff, those 2.

Oh, and Asterios Polyp was pretty fucking good.

Oh, derp, almost forgot Queen & Country. and Whiteout (don't judge it by the movie, which I hear is pretty bad)

And I'll list the good "true story" stuff I like, just cause. The obligatory Maus, of course. And Persepolis. And Sentences by MF Grimm was surprisingly good. Autobiographical story of how he was confined to a wheel chair, and made his name in the rap community. And Pride of Baghdad. About a pride of lions who got out of a zoo during the Iraq war, and their somewhat embellished adventures. Good, but sad.

Almost forgot, manga: Pluto and Monster. Both by the same guy, forget his name, now. Haven't finished either, but they're both that good. Pluto is a retelling of an Astro-Boy story as a standalone thing. Kind of a noir sci-fi thing. Really good, though.

i still don't get this DC stuff.

Do i just order the #1 issues in August and they tell the stories new?
Can i get Hal Gordon and Barry Allen back? Maybe i would start DC comics again.

Superman and Batman have always been my favorite. The reason behind this, is that their alter egos are just as important as the superhero persona themselves. Bruce Wayne had to exist and experience the things he did to create Batman, and Superman needed to be introduced and live with humans for Clark Kent to exist. Also, each aspect of both of their personalities can stand on it's own.

Reactions: SatanJonez
I stopped reading comics after Preacher ended. There was no way to keep up with all the big events that DC and Marvel were throwing around. The last graphic novel that I picked up that was worth reading was Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan and Niko Henrichon.

Axe Cop! Comic written by a five year old and illustrated by his 29 year old graphic artist brother. It's hi-larious :)

http://axecop.com

Ok, so with the DC thing the answer to everything is they're back pedaling and screwing up something that would have been either awesome or fucking shit and turning it into something that will suck but not that badly. The writer of Batman basically said pretty much nothing is being rebooted and the only real change is Barbara Gordon is batgirl again. There are 15 Batman related comics (of 50) including one for Tim Drake, Dick Grayson and Jason Todd as well as Batgirl (Barbara) and Batwoman. So basically they're renumbering for no reason. There's a lot of pissed off collectors right now. Fortunately for DC collectors don't buy a whole lot of modern comics.

Axe Cop is awesome. I do love it.

Another great one I've been getting into is Phoenix from Atlas. Here's the (bad version) story of Atlas. Timely Comics was founded by Martin Goodman. MArtin Goodman believed in publishing books through different publishers all owned by the same company. Timely remained through the Golden Age of comics, ending around 1950. Goodman continued publishing however as he began using his Atlas logo (which had been a newsstand distribution company) to start publishing new comics and used it as an umbrella company for all his comics publishing companies. Atlas began publishing Marvel Comics. Soon enough Marvel Comics became the new company. Goodman later started Seaboard and Atlas/Seaboard. Basically everything you know about comics is thanks to Martin Goodman. Which brings us to the current day. Jason Goodman, grandson of Martin Goodman (who died in 1992) has received all the rights to certain characters and has begun publishing old favorites Phoenix, Wulf and Grim Ghost.

So right now I'm reading Grim Ghost, Wulf and Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.