AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How to Lighting for a Room

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLeighDDD

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Jun 7, 2014
I have now been on MFC for almost a month... Yay. This has been way more of a learning process then I ever imagined. I just bought a great webcam ( Logitech HD c920) Now I have to figure out the lighting. The clamp light setup now makes me look to washed out with the Hd... I have adjusted everything. What do you use? Placement in the room?

The following post is copied from a previous thread in the Models Only section (which you should get model status so you can access that area!)

Basically 4 of these, http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials ... A-12242155 2 in black, two in white one in/near each corner of my room, plus a fluorescent light behind my TV/pc monitors, and a 2 bulb lamp on the floor near the legs of my cam tripod.

Here's some pics:

In front of me: 2 tall floor lamps, 1 desk lamp (on floor) and the florescent behind the TVs
xrIymOpl.jpg

Behind
fZtLJ2rl.jpg

Then the other floor lamp is to my right and slightly behind me.

I only use soft white bulbs, as the daylight ones make me look way too pale and wash out all the colors on cam. I use a Logitech 9000 still, because the c910/920/930e all have the same effect of the daylight bulbs: washed out and pale, colorless.

I've used the pro lighting setup with umbrellas for a video and a couple photo sets. I find them too bright and "daylight" and much prefer my own lamps.

Edit to add: here's what my cam feed looks like with the current lighting setup:

VdIfpP5.jpg

e3f1x8E.jpg

Also try googling "video lighting" the first youtube video that came up was super useful.
Once you get approved for model status, there is a really detailed thread on this in that section.

Jessi said:
Also try googling "video lighting" the first youtube video that came up was super useful.
Once you get approved for model status, there is a really detailed thread on this in that section.
The top results on google are going to be dominated by professional light kits and light boxes and umbrellas. I feel like girls think they HAVE to get professional lighting kits for their cam shows but it really isn't necessary. Sometimes they make things look less natural (nevermind the fact that those lights are hideous to look at whereas my floor lamps are more aesthetically pleasing to have strewn around the room.)

AmberCutie said:
I only use soft white bulbs, as the daylight ones make me look way too pale and wash out all the colors on cam. I use a Logitech 9000 still, because the c910/920/930e all have the same effect of the daylight bulbs: washed out and pale, colorless.

Since most newer cam girls can't find the logitech 9000 anymore I think it's worthwhile to mention that you CAN get really nice colors from the c910/920/930e. It is not hopeless.

I've found that using two different bulbs (One leaning sliiiiightly more yellow and one pure daylight) produces stunning color with the c930e. I also use one gold umbrella and one white umbrella. Both lights are at 45 degrees. These umbrella photography lights are actually cheaper than the the 5 head floor lamp but they are very tell-tale of cam, photography or video work. Not easy to hide.

LacieLaPlante said:
AmberCutie said:

Since most newer cam girls can't find the logitech 9000 anymore I think it's worthwhile to mention that you CAN get really nice colors from the c910/920/930e. It is not hopeless.

I've found that using two different bulbs (One leaning sliiiiightly more yellow and one pure daylight) produces stunning color with the c930e. I also use one gold umbrella and one white umbrella. Both lights are at 45 degrees. These umbrella photography lights are actually cheaper than the the 5 head floor lamp but they are very tell-tale of cam, photography or video work. Not easy to hide.
My new cam room actually has a warmer/more neutral color on the walls than my last one so I will give the 920/930e another shot at some point and see if it makes a difference, too. I'm actually not sure at all what my new room will look like with a duplicated setup from my old room, so I may have to rearrange how I do things.

The 5 head floor lamps do run about 35-55 bucks depending on where you get them and the brand, but I've certainly found their appearance and re-usability worth the cost. I have a cowboy studio light set with white and gold umbrellas but even after tinkering around with them not only on my 9000 cam but on my high end camcorder too, they're just too darn cumbersome. I just don't want cam girls thinking that's their only option.

Thank you again!!! Went out and bought a floor lamp ( hope to buy more soon) This made a huge difference plus putting the smaller lamp next to the tripod. Made more money last night too. :) Very helpful

Amber, can I just say how much I appreciate that you share your equipment set up? There's nothing that's forced you to share your behind the scenes, and I find it really awesome that you've freely put this information out here. Thanks!

AmberCutie said:
The top results on google are going to be dominated by professional light kits and light boxes and umbrellas. I feel like girls think they HAVE to get professional lighting kits for their cam shows but it really isn't necessary. Sometimes they make things look less natural (nevermind the fact that those lights are hideous to look at whereas my floor lamps are more aesthetically pleasing to have strewn around the room.)

This makes me happy to read coming from one of our most established ladies. Although I don't do much live camming at the moment my lighting is still important for clip making and photo taking. Aesthetically pleasing lamps that provide good lighting make me happy. MUCH happier than awkwardly sitting in a room where I'm secretly surrounded by all these awkward fucking umbrellas. I feel weird, crowded and end up being noticeably awkward.

Much more awkward than sitting among some fairy lights or cool lamps an average person would have in an average room anyway.

:shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.