AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Can you really make good money off of this?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2014
I'm new to this whole thing and this may seem like a dumb question but I've been shopping through sites and I just don't see how people are making the good money that I keep hearing that cam models make.

I was a stripper for a month last summer at a strip club that was doing very poorly. They were losing business fast when I came in and I'd never danced before so they told me that I probably wouldn't make any money for a while. I made $1000 in my first week. The other girls were surprised I did so well and told me I was a natural and I figured that if I tried camming instead that could hopefully make similar money from home. I know it's a different medium, but when I go to MFC or Chaturbate and look at how many tokens the top models have made, I don't see how people are making the money that I've heard some girls say that they make.

I just looked at how many tokens the top models had and how long they'd been on and it looked like they weren't making more than $20 an hour. Am I missing something? Is this one of those jobs were it normally pays like any other job but sometimes you get big bonuses from big tips or something? An experienced model elsewhere told me that a newbie can expect $20-30 an hour starting out, and it obviously goes up from there. Was that a big overestimation? I know another model personally and she drives a nice BMW while being a single mother. Is that pretty rare for a cam girl?

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
Thanks for the link, Jerry. =)

Cora, I was looking on Chaturbate where it says (received/goal) under a girl's feed. And on MFC I was looking at what the goals were and saw a girl with a goal of 600 apologize that she had to log off because she was out of time and hadn't reached goal. I admit I don't know how long she was on, though.

I know that the tips received counter isn't supposed to be a comprehensive example of a model's general earnings which is why I thought it was worth asking what I was missing here.

LadyBugg said:

Cora, I was looking on Chaturbate where it says (received/goal) under a girl's feed. And on MFC I was looking at what the goals were and saw a girl with a goal of 600 apologize that she had to log off because she was out of time and hadn't reached goal. I admit I don't know how long she was on, though.

I know that the tips received counter isn't supposed to be a comprehensive example of a model's general earnings which is why I thought it was worth asking what I was missing here.

Ah, that makes sense now. You're looking at a girl's remaining countdown, you have no idea what she started out at for the day. Could be that her total goal for the day was 3000 or 6000 tokens, but that final 600 was what couldn't be completed. Girls tend to log off if things stagnate, to protect their camscore from dropping.

But yes, you can make good money at this if you're professional about it. Usually more than minimum wage. :)

LadyBugg said:

Sometimes girls have slow days. On MFC 600 tokens is pretty low end earnings. A lot of top girls can get 600 in minutes. My guess is it what Charlotte is talking about.

LadyBugg said:

Ah! Thanks for explaining. Yes, what Charlotte said. That's what was remaining in her goal, not her total goal. On MFC you generally count down as you go (So say you have 2000 til goal and get a 350 tip, you would update it to say 1650). I would say $20-$30/hr for a newbie who has done her research and has a bit of luck is pretty accurate for MFC.

Reactions: LilyMarie
Thanks for the replies everyone! =) I feel reassured now but I'll also try not to get my hopes up too high. I'll try to concentrate on learning the ropes and creating a following at first.

I'm still wondering one thing, though. I know I wasn't at it long, but I did much better as a stripper than what was expected of me and took home more money that month than the other girls on my shift who had been there for years. I know camming is pretty different, but do you think this could be an indication that I have the potential to do fairly well on cam?

LadyBugg said:
Thanks for the replies everyone! =) I feel reassured now but I'll also try not to get my hopes up too high. I'll try to concentrate on learning the ropes and creating a following at first.

I'm still wondering one thing, though. I know I wasn't at it long, but I did much better as a stripper than what was expected of me and took home more money that month than the other girls on my shift who had been there for years. I know camming is pretty different, but do you think this could be an indication that I have the potential to do fairly well on cam?

I have never danced, but I will still probably venture out enough to say they are two pretty different ball games.

The only common things I could probably guess is that, chances are if you did that well dancing, you are probably attractive enough (and talented enough at dancing and/or entertaining) to cam and make decent money. However being attractive is only 'layer 1' as I like to call it.

Cam takes a lot more effort to keep people in your room, rather than a strip club, where those men or women that are there, are there because they already have money to spend and are ready for a lapdance. Just being there PHYSICALLY is much easier to keep attention unlike with cam, you're virtual. And if you aren't entertaining it's as simple as a click of a mouse and onto the next.

So successful webcamming is about looks but it's also about personality, creativity, and just pure entertainment in general (the other 'layers'). Each website has it's own culture and the level of each of these components varies with it.

I would say once you have done your research as much as possible, try different websites and figure out which camming style fits best for you. I won't go into that here, once you become a verified model there is PLENTY of great stuff in the models only section about differing styles and websites of which you can read up on.

Good luck and hope to see you soon in models section. :)

The token flow varies a lot. Not only from one day to another, but hour to hour. It can take you 2 hours to get the first 500 tokens that day and yet on the third hour you make 3000. If model leaves before that happens she looses 3k. On Chaturbate staying on more hours = more profit. On MFC Camscore/money is always a gamble.

A single tip if you plan on camming on MFC:

Regardless of when they approve your account try to start on the 1st of the month and work mornings PST to maximize your visibility and earning potential. Your camscore will benefit from that move.

Good luck.

TicTacToe said:
Regardless of when they approve your account try to start on the 1st of the month and work mornings PST to maximize your visibility and earning potential. Your camscore will benefit from that move.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. ^^

You definitely don't need to work in a certain time slot for maximum visibility and earnings potential. As any camgirl here will tell you, there is no "top" time slot. If there was, we'd all be adjusting ourselves to be in it and it would no longer be the "top" spot, it would be the most competitive slot. You just find a spot you can be consistent in and you'll gain a following. Your camscore will benefit from earning more tokens per hour, regardless of what day of the month you start on or the time of day you work.

I'm not sure if TicTacToe did any research into it, but I think he's under the assumption that the site has much more traffic during that time. Which I have a HARD time believing. I feel like it is really busy in the evenings/later at night. I'm on EDT so my 12am is California's 9pm.

AllisonWilder said:
TicTacToe said:

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. ^^

You definitely don't need to work in a certain time slot for maximum visibility and earnings potential. As any camgirl here will tell you, there is no "top" time slot. If there was, we'd all be adjusting ourselves to be in it and it would no longer be the "top" spot, it would be the most competitive slot. You just find a spot you can be consistent in and you'll gain a following. Your camscore will benefit from earning more tokens per hour, regardless of what day of the month you start on or the time of day you work.
\

If you watch MFC's homepage somewhat closely, you will understand my comment. There might not be a "top" timeslot over all since you can make good money at any timeslot if you are consistent, but there /is/ a top time slot by camscore. Most high camscore models cam between 8 PM and midnight PST(*) if you look at MFC's homepage at that time in order to be on the top row you need around 12k camscore. Models around the 6k-7k camscore (like Brina as of late) are relegated to the 5th row. A new model with a 1k camscore simply doesn't get enough exposure, you have to scroll forever to get to her avatar. Sure, the "new" tag will bring people in who specifically look for new models (those who prey on them and the occasional white knight) but that crowd will be in her room regardless of what time she chooses to perform.

Now fast forward to a time after midnight, say to 3 AM, when all the high camscore models have logged off and you find a 3k model on the top row. On the fourth row you have a few models on the low 2000s. A new model with a 1000 camscore would be visible on the main page without having to scroll too much and with the "new model" tag on her avatar. This will bring different people into her room, not only those who are specifically looking for new girls. If she is charismatic and she plays it smart during her first night she could end up with a much higher camscore, I have seen girls finishing their first night with a camscore of 3700. Not every new model pulls it off, but you have better chances of doing well if you stick to a slot in which you actually exist on the homepage.

Now about the beginning of the month comment, that wasn't about visibility (even when it does play a role) but about earning potential. The most money to be made on the site is when the members have gotten their paychecks which happens to match the model's pay periods and also fridays. So beginning of the month (first week) and weekends in general are the best moments money wise on MFC. It is better to try to take advantage of your "new model" tag and status at a moment in which there is actually money to be made. All other factors being equal it is better to cam your ass off on the first friday of the month than to do it on a 3rd week thursday.

Source: life.

(*) There are multiple reasons for this and it is long to explain but in short it is the time when the best quality traffic is on: US & CAN, and sure, AUS (wee hours of the morning PST) and UK (noon-afternoon PST) are also great traffic but the former has bigger numbers.

Reactions: SinSeraTea
I used to work early mornings (5am-8am PST, sometimes as early as 3 or 4) for the reasons TicTac is mentioning. It did work well for me in the sense that I had a higher placement and got more viewers.

However I am not a morning person at all and it was really hard to keep up! I managed for a while then decided to try evenings. With consistency, I was making around the same amount, then more, because it was easier for me to get and stay online, and I was peppier.

I think most girls can find regulars at any time as long as they're consistent. It's easier if you pick a time that makes sense for you than to force a slot that you won't be able to consistently log on for (especially if you have a job or school so you can't completely change your life schedule to revolve around weird hours!).

I'd also add that many members search specifically for new models, so you'd be better off starting in a time slot you plan to stick with than attracting morning members then realizing you hate mornings :p New models usually get fairly high room counts as people want to check them out, in my opinion you'd be better off focusing on having good quality equipment, being endearing, having a topic they can tip for, etc than specifically the time. It's not all about placement!

I personally have tried quite a few different shifts, and find that I can make about the same amount per hour in the 9 a.m.-12 p.m., 2 p.m.-5 p.m., 8 p.m.-11 p.m, and 2 a.m.-5 a.m. time slots (all times Eastern). However, since I'm a definite morning person (but not *early* mornings), I stick to the 9 a.m. shift because it just makes me feel the best. Any later in the day and I feel like it's cutting into my off-cam life, too late at night and I get grumpy/sleepy/tired. Morning camming suits my life and needs perfectly, while also ensuring that I'm consistent, happy when I'm online, get regulars in that time slot, and have fairly stable per-hour earnings.

Basically, if you pick a time slot that you feel comfortable/happy in, it doesn't matter what time of day it is, you can make money and gain regulars. Guys are on camsites 24/7, and there is no magic time slot where you're guaranteed to make bank. Every time of day has its pros and cons, and no matter when you're online, there will be awesome days and slow days. So definitely don't be afraid to experiment, find a time that suits your personal needs, and then stick with it. :)

GemmaMoore said:
I personally have tried quite a few different shifts, and find that I can make about the same amount per hour in the 9 a.m.-12 p.m., 2 p.m.-5 p.m., 8 p.m.-11 p.m, and 2 a.m.-5 a.m. time slots (all times Eastern). However, since I'm a definite morning person (but not *early* mornings), I stick to the 9 a.m. shift because it just makes me feel the best. Any later in the day and I feel like it's cutting into my off-cam life, too late at night and I get grumpy/sleepy/tired. Morning camming suits my life and needs perfectly, while also ensuring that I'm consistent, happy when I'm online, get regulars in that time slot, and have fairly stable per-hour earnings.

Basically, if you pick a time slot that you feel comfortable/happy in, it doesn't matter what time of day it is, you can make money and gain regulars. Guys are on camsites 24/7, and there is no magic time slot where you're guaranteed to make bank. Every time of day has its pros and cons, and no matter when you're online, there will be awesome days and slow days. So definitely don't be afraid to experiment, find a time that suits your personal needs, and then stick with it. :)

I have to say she is right. There are members like myself that are literally on mfc all day long from the moment they wake up til all of work til they get home from work til they fall asleep lol. There is one time frame I do notice though where new models just don't get that much attention. When the Miss mfc models are on. Like Ginny,Jalyn,Aspen etc. They all seem to go on around the same 4 hour period of the day. And I never see new models with a cam score higher than 1300 when they are on. But this is just what I have observed over the last 2 months. I'm not sure if the correlation I'm trying to make is even correct.

No point in spending hours to build up a base of regulars at a time slot you don't plan to keep.

Pick the time slot that you want to work and build your base there. Your new model tag will be helpful for the kickoff.

JoleneBrody said:
No point in spending hours to build up a base of regulars at a time slot you don't plan to keep.

Pick the time slot that you want to work and build your base there. Your new model tag will be helpful for the kickoff.

This. You probably want to build up a crowd of regulars in the actual time slot you plan to work in. Switching timeslots later is tough. Several of my favorite cam models have tried it, and all of them have found it very frustrating.

Two of them were afternoon/evening models who tried to shift to mornings. They would get plenty of viewers in their rooms, but they had trouble getting tips. I'm not sure whether the morning members just didn't tip as well as the guys who were on later, or whether it was just a case of the members not knowing those particular models well enough to feel like tipping.

I'm in the process of switching from evenings to late morning/early afternoons and though it can be tough, it isn't impossible. I lost a TON of regulars just by logging on a couple hours earlier in the evenings so by making this switch I'm essentially starting over after 4 years of camming in the evenings. My earnings may suffer for a while but I'll be a lot happier and healthier. So, I agree with JJ 100% - cam when you want to and you'll eventually build up a nice group of regulars and you'll enjoy camming a lot more than if you were pushing to work at a time that wasn't ideal for you. :)

Best of luck!

I used to purposely work early mornings. 12am-6am PST. I was successful very fast since less models were on but never seeing the sun made me severely depressed. When I switched to day time 4pm-7pm pacific it was rough. I was starting all over and for the first 3 months made no money. But then I met my biggest tipper ever at that time slot and was the most successful working my new time. It just takes one big tipper to completely determine your success sometimes. And there's always one big tipper at every time of the day. It's just a matter of them coming into your room and liking you.

PlayboyMegan said:
I used to purposely work early mornings. 12am-6am PST. I was successful very fast since less models were on but never seeing the sun made me severely depressed. When I switched to day time 4pm-7pm pacific it was rough. I was starting all over and for the first 3 months made no money. But then I met my biggest tipper ever at that time slot and was the most successful working my new time. It just takes one big tipper to completely determine your success sometimes. And there's always one big tipper at every time of the day. It's just a matter of them coming into your room and liking you.

Jeeze, the more you read on this forum the more you realize how stressful being a cam model must be. I used to think, "Damn I wish I was a girl, this is easy money" But when you have to stress over every little detail to make sure you even get tips. That takes a lot of patience and mind power.

Status
Not open for further replies.