AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The old allow grays to speak debate

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2019
This post is mostly related to Chaturbate but I think grays might be the equivalent of basics on MFC from the little I know about that site. I'm curious about this only because I am chatty and sometimes I think grays can liven up a room. Here are my thoughts on this:

GENERAL ARGUMENTS ALLOWING GRAYS TO TALK
- more chance of people talking in your room which could promote general room activity, more of a community feel to the room, etc. I only mention this because it is pretty obvious some models can get bored when things are quiet
- some grays are funny
- very uncommon but I've seen them convert to tippers with my own eyes maybe 10 times
- more users in your room (not sure if this matters depending on the algorithm)

GENERAL ARGUMENTS AGAINST ALLOWING GRAYS TO TALK
- the vast majority of grays do not and will not ever tip so they could be perceived as a waste of time generally
- a lot of them are extremely rude / disgusting
- they get annoying sometimes by moving the focus to them or by being too chatty / pissing off some regular tippers

on mfc there are guests, basics, premiums. Guests don't have an account, basics do have an account, premiums purchased a token package. I have guests muted because they use public chat for vulgar dirty talk. but i allow basics to chat, until they do the same thing, then i kick them.

With the proper use of apps and bots on CB, the majority of grays can be kept at bay. Such as word ban lists with instant muting/silencing set on gray and light blue users.
If grays become a problem at any given time they more than easily can be switched 'off'.

But you have to realize it is all up to the broadcasters discretion. If they want them on, they will have them on. If they want them off. Well, you get the point. :)

I use to despise gray users, but over time I realized not everyone who does not tip is bad. And I have seen so many people go from gray to tipping members just on the fact they like a room and want to stay a contributing member and not be shut off at any give time. Many rooms that I frequent the broadcaster found it a very nice compliment that a gray user turned into a tipping member for their room.

Last edited:
I've actually had greys request a flash, then actually buy tokens and tip when I told them the price. Knowing that some of them just don't have tokens *right now* makes me more likely to let them talk, whereas MFC basics I keep muted 25/8.

I’ve never used CB but aren’t grey users just people who have had tokens in the past but do not currently? Is it also people who have never bought?
As opposed to basics on mfc who have never bought tokens.

I think it depends on the room. I don't get too many bots even when my room is busy, so I allow greys to talk and help keep chat going. Just recently I've jokingly requested a model let greys speak on two separate occasions and the few that did were nice, 2 ended up taking the plunge and buying tokens. There there are rooms where it seems like bot central and every other grey is demanding stuff they didn't tip for.

I’ve never used CB but aren’t grey users just people who have had tokens in the past but do not currently? Is it also people who have never bought?

Grey users have never bought tokens. You are thinking of light blue users, who either have tipped in the past, or have tokens and haven't tipped more than 49 in the past 2 weeks.

Reactions: JoleneBrody
I've never cammed on CB but coming from MFC, I've always kept basic members muted. Whenever I've tried unmuting basics, within 5 minutes my room fills with disrespectful members. I do wish I could keep them un-muted just because they can help add conversation to the room.

Yes, this is a pretty BIG distinction.

Basics on MFC have NEVER bought any tokens. EVER. If they had, they would be premiums forever, even if they never ever buy tokens again.

Chaturbate grey users on the other hand, are simply users who have had 0 tokens for 2 weeks or more.

This is a crucial distinction many reasons, here's two:

1) The probability of converting a basic to a premium on MFC is much slimmer than the probability of turning a grey into a blue user simply because all basics are people who have never ever bought tokens so you gotta convince them to do it for the first time, while many grey users have had tokens in the past and would buy again if they are tickled the right way.

2) Premium users on MFC is a meaningless classification, since a big subsection consists of perma 20 point reward people. They bought tokens once and never did again, they've been premiums for years, and letting them talk in a room makes LESS sense than allowing grey users to talk if your goal is to turn them. You will never make a guy that's been a 20 point premium for 5 years to buy tokens, but you may convince a fresh basic user to turn into a tipper.

Just an addendum to Mila's comments about light blue/gray:

CB changed the grey/light blue thing some time ago. Once a user buys tokens, that account will remain Light Blue for ever - they will never revert back to a grey account.

The only instance a user can go from light blue to grey, is if the account is a broadcaster account - ie they have never bought tokens, but only been tipped them. Once this account runs out of tokens, it will change (immediately) back to grey.

I have an account that I have not used in about ~6 months, I just logged onto it and went into a room and confirmed that with a token count of 0, it is still light blue. The last time I purchased tokens on this account was on January 12th this year.

Just an addendum to Mila's comments about light blue/gray:

CB changed the grey/light blue thing some time ago. Once a user buys tokens, that account will remain Light Blue for ever - they will never revert back to a grey account.

The only instance a user can go from light blue to grey, is if the account is a broadcaster account - ie they have never bought tokens, but only been tipped them. Once this account runs out of tokens, it will change (immediately) back to grey.

I have an account that I have not used in about ~6 months, I just logged onto it and went into a room and confirmed that with a token count of 0, it is still light blue. The last time I purchased tokens on this account was on January 12th this year.

Its a glitch, I've heard it before and it happens to a few accounts, but it's not the case generally, that I am aware of.

Its a glitch, I've heard it before and it happens to a few accounts, but it's not the case generally, that I am aware of.

I was confused by this before too and had always gone by the whole "keep 1 token" thing to remain light blue.
However, when someone pointed it out, I did ask CB and they did reply confirming that anyone that has PURCHASED tokens remains a light blue. I put "purchased" in capitals because it doesn't apply to users who have verified their account and received tokens (I have a couple of accounts, one of which has never BOUGHT tokens but has received tokens by me to tip with - this one reverted back to grey whereas my other/s stayed light blue when I tipped away all tokens).

Edit: To add, there was a discussion regarding it in another topic but I can't remember the title of said topic, and I can't remember if I quoted from the CB email response to confirm it or not.

Grey users have never bought tokens. You are thinking of light blue users, who either have tipped in the past, or have tokens and haven't tipped more than 49 in the past 2 weeks.
Once upon a time, back when there was just grey, light blue, and dark blue, a light blue would change to grey as soon as they tipped their last tokens. This led to a lot of users keeping a balance of one token so they could talk in rooms that muted greys. I find the change interesting.

Once upon a time, back when there was just grey, light blue, and dark blue, a light blue would change to grey as soon as they tipped their last tokens. This led to a lot of users keeping a balance of one token so they could talk in rooms that muted greys. I find the change interesting.

You need to consider though, they still need that 1 token or more to talk in the room. That fact has not changed as a setting.
Chat can be allowed by: Everyone; Users who have tipped in the last 24hrs; users that have tipped me; and users with 1 token.
So it's not based on a colour so that hasn't been changed, luckily.

Reactions: Mila_
very uncommon but I've seen them convert to tippers with my own eyes maybe 10 times
Customer conversion is more common than you think or see.

I recommend focusing on the that more then regulars.

I allow greys to chat on CB and for basics to chat on MFC. I do feel they can contribute, especially when my room is dead. I rarely get disrespectful ones, but it happens. And I have had greys buy tokens for me, so to me it's worth it. My favorite anecdote on this topic: I started out on CB, and had a grey on there from the very beginning. He'd check in every so often; maybe a few times a month. He was always so nice. I moved to MFC in early May, and still check in on CB from time to time to see the old regs, and one day he was like 'OMG GIA! Where have you been?' So I told him, as safely as I could, that I am broadcasting on a different site and gave him the info. Next day, on MFC, a premium comes in and tips me and gives me short clues as to who he is. It was my grey from CB who never ever bought tokens. He wanted to buy some for me and surprise me on MFC. It made my day.
I get it if you're a super popular model; I can't imagine some of their rooms if greys were allowed to chat too. That's not my room; I'm not on that level...so for now, chat away!

Ahh yes. The grays. I have them muted on MFC. Stripchat doesn’t allow muting grays as far as I know and they drive me insane with stupidity and “anal bb” even though I have no anal on my notice as they enter the room, it scrolls along the bottom of my video feed and it’s stuck on the top of my video feed. Ugh. I have apps on chaturbate that block words so that helps. I might do unmute mondays when I do longer and more traditional camshows vs my normal. There are some really nice grays and they can help conversations but 90% are trash beggars

I don't allow guests in my room but I still talk to members who have 0 tokens, because it already happened a few times that they used to have tokens but spent them all, and bought tokens again to go private with me.

Of course, the majority of them are time wasters. When my room is slow I talk to them if they are not rude, but when my room is crowded I focus on serious members and my regulars.

Sometimes, even members with many tokens are peepers and freeloaders. They just buy tokens to get the model's attention but never spend a single token. Those bastards :finger:

Honestly, most of the models I've watched have had grey users turned off. Pretty sure I'll keep 'em on till I have a good influx of regulars to chat with.

I feel like you shouldn't factor in the possibility of greys converting because the inability to talk to a particular model by turning off greys is also incentive for them to buy tokens. So sure you may have converted some greys by having greys on but you may have also converted greys by having greys off.

I feel like you shouldn't factor in the possibility of greys converting because the inability to talk to a particular model by turning off greys is also incentive for them to buy tokens. So sure you may have converted some greys by having greys on but you may have also converted greys by having greys off.
This is the theory and tactic I've always gone with about basics on MFC. People need to pay and go premium for the ability to participate in the chat. Otherwise as a free member the only thing they can do is silently watch.

There are models that can get annoying comments and not be annoyed by that. I’m not one of those.
I’ve used to let them speak when I just log on and mute when my room gets busier. But few days in a row I forgot to let them speak for the whole day. I’ve realized I’m enjoying my time on cam way more and was thinking why. There were no greys to annoy me, that’s why! Since then I never let them speak again. :smuggrin:

When I was on MFC, I would have guests muted but basics could talk because I would find a lot would actually become premium because of me, which is obviously great. When they get annoying, I do mute for a while though.

I'm a user who just started paying, after months of being a gray, and here's my take:

- Almost every paid user starts out as a gray.

- The majority of users are going to be gray.

Therefore, writing grays off, ignoring them or banning them is just bad and lazy business. I'm not saying you have to give freebies or even give them time, but a hello isn't gonna kill ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.