AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Marijuana causing stomach cramps?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justjoinedtopost

I did bad things, privileges revoked!
In the Dog House
Feb 23, 2015
On again off again smoker over the years. I might smoke daily for shorter periods, then go months (sometimes even a year or two) without smoking.

So a few months ago, I smoked through a half oz. and I noticed I had mild stomach cramps. Didn't really think it was related to the mj. Then a couple days ago, a friend who had been smoking the same stuff told me he was quitting, the cramps and nausea were getting too bad for him.

Today I ran across this story...
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/09/21/cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome-emergency-room/
According to this, it only affects people who have been smoking daily for extended periods; the cramps I had a couple months ago started up immediately-- I hadn't smoked any for about 9 months or so best as I can remember.

Anybody else experience this? Is this common knowledge that just somehow flew under my radar over 3 decades of dabbling with weed?

I stumbled across this a few weeks ago when I hurled my guts up a few hours after eating an edible. Pretty sure in my case the two were not related and if anything probably made the stomach flu I had more emotionally tolerable because I remember vomiting and thinking "that wasn't that bad" (whereas I'm usually a giant baby about the flu who sobs uncontrollably.)

Scary to think that something that generally relieves nausea for so many can make others suddenly ill.

Also who the fuck smokes a half ounce? Are you secretly Snoop dogg? Are you talking over a long period of time orrrrr?

Also who the fuck smokes a half ounce? Are you secretly Snoop dogg? Are you talking over a long period of time orrrrr?
That is over about a week, week and a half.

I took a two month tolerance break, then after the break smoked 3 times within this week. I thought that was too much for me, so now i'm doing a 4 month tolerance break today. Ideally, I don't like smoking too many days in a row because of my fairly low tolerance/how it makes me feel, but sometimes I like testing myself (how would my body/mind react if I smoked right before bed? How would I react if I smoked 2 days in a row? 2 days in a row with an 8 hour refractory period). But I think I tested out what I wanted to, so now I use cannabis every once in a while.

I remember one time, my stomach got a little sick from smoking way too much. While I was feeling sick, i also read an article about nausea and cannabis where the only cure seemed to be taking a really cold shower. I didn't want that to happen, so it was partly what made me start my first tolerance break.

Also, half an ounce in one sitting or... because my serving size is 1/3 - 1/4 of a small bud for a bowl or two.

There may be a few causes for it. First would be amount smoked. Like drinking too much, or overeating, the body uses vomiting (emesis) to purge the excess. How much is too much? There's a lot of variables such as normal amount smoked, food/water consumption, etc. Everything in moderation...

Another cause, which I think may be more the reason, is that it may have been tainted with something. Especially if someone else who smoked from the same batch is experiencing identical symptoms.

There's also many articles from case studies related to how potent marijuana has become over the years. Genetic splicing, use of fertilizers, as well as mentioned before about lacing with other chemicals has raised the potency significantly.

Know your sources.

Also, half an ounce in one sitting or... because my serving size is 1/3 - 1/4 of a small bud for a bowl or two.
Let's just say half oz in 2 weeks. It was a week and change, but I cooked enough butter to have on pancakes one morning.
There may be a few causes for it. First would be amount smoked. Like drinking too much, or overeating, the body uses vomiting (emesis) to purge the excess. How much is too much? There's a lot of variables such as normal amount smoked, food/water consumption, etc. Everything in moderation...
Maybe with my friend, he was daily smoking for god knows how long.
Another cause, which I think may be more the reason, is that it may have been tainted with something. Especially if someone else who smoked from the same batch is experiencing identical symptoms.
Possible, but I'm leaning more towards wondering if it is something tied to the munchie genetics of some strains.

Also, the "same batch" is a little inaccurate... I meant the same no-name, average-or-slightly-above strain.
There's also many articles from case studies related to how potent marijuana has become over the years. Genetic splicing, use of fertilizers, as well as mentioned before about lacing with other chemicals has raised the potency significantly.

Know your sources.
When I first heard that, I didn't have any trouble believing it (mid 80s?); now I view it as a line of drug-warrior nonsense.

I have smoked much more potent weed in the past for extended periods w/o stomach cramps.

Maybe with my friend, he was daily smoking for god knows how long.

Possible, but I'm leaning more towards wondering if it is something tied to the munchie genetics of some strains.

Also, the "same batch" is a little inaccurate... I meant the same no-name, average-or-slightly-above strain.

"Same batch" reference is to this statement from you:

Then a couple days ago, a friend who had been smoking the same stuff told me he was quitting, the cramps and nausea were getting too bad for him.

When I first heard that, I didn't have any trouble believing it (mid 80s?); now I view it as a line of drug-warrior nonsense.

There's this little thing called "Google". If you type in some phrases such as "increase in marijuana potency", it'll come back with all kinds of sources of info talking about how to do it, case studies, etc.

CLICK HERE

There is documented proof of it being far more potent for various reasons and from non-govt sources as well.

Not everything is a conspiracy theory.

"Same batch" reference is to this statement from you:

Then a couple days ago, a friend who had been smoking the same stuff told me he was quitting, the cramps and nausea were getting too bad for him.
Yes, I was clarifying it.
There's this little thing called "Google". If you type in some phrases such as "increase in marijuana potency", it'll come back with all kinds of sources of info talking about how to do it, case studies, etc.

CLICK HERE

There is documented proof of it being far more potent for various reasons and from non-govt sources as well.

Not everything is a conspiracy theory.
I said I didn't buy it; not that I hadn't heard it. I have heard it over, and over, and over, and over, and over....doesn't really line up with my experience.

Yes, I was clarifying it.

I said I didn't buy it; not that I hadn't heard it. I have heard it over, and over, and over, and over, and over....doesn't really line up with my experience.

Wasn't disputing that you'd never heard it. I was saying that you're denying actual and proven facts from numerous resources. But, whatever. Deny all you want. Doesn't make a difference to me.

Wasn't disputing that you'd never heard it. I was saying that you're denying actual and proven facts from numerous resources. But, whatever. Deny all you want. Doesn't make a difference to me.
I am saying it is downright daft. I told you, I have had more potent weed ffs.

What changes have you seen in the quality of weed over the years? Have you or any of your friends who smoke ever experienced the stomach cramp thing? Or are you just weighing in as an expert who does not partake?

Weed often made me feel nauseous and it turns very bad. When I smoked weed and drank alcohol I was vomiting a lot after with pain in stomach

I am saying it is downright daft. I told you, I have had more potent weed ffs.

What changes have you seen in the quality of weed over the years? Have you or any of your friends who smoke ever experienced the stomach cramp thing? Or are you just weighing in as an expert who does not partake?

Your argument of "in my experience" is about the same as saying you can feel a 1-2 HP gain in a vehicle simply by your ass as it moves down the road. You are denying simple science, and tests showing measurable gains in THC levels from many different sources. You're perhaps also failing to understand that tolerances are built up over prolonged use, thus why you may feel like there's no difference.

I'm no expert. But, when there's multiple sources stating the potency is more than years ago due to various reasons, I tend to believe them. Especially when you look at GMO of other plants and good sources, it's easy to understand how it's applied to marijuana. Same with how other, more potent drugs are being manufactured all the time.

Anyway, believe what you want. I'm done with the thread.

Your argument of "in my experience" is about the same as saying you can feel a 1-2 HP gain in a vehicle simply by your ass as it moves down the road. You are denying simple science, and tests showing measurable gains in THC levels from many different sources. You're perhaps also failing to understand that tolerances are built up over prolonged use, thus why you may feel like there's no difference.

I'm no expert. But, when there's multiple sources stating the potency is more than years ago due to various reasons, I tend to believe them. Especially when you look at GMO of other plants and good sources, it's easy to understand how it's applied to marijuana. Same with how other, more potent drugs are being manufactured all the time.
Wut??? Perhaps failing to understand tolerances?!?!

First time I heard the "potency is much higher" (around 85) I didn't have any trouble believing it. That is because I was getting into Panama Red regularly, and that shit crippled me for the first 20-30 minutes after I smoked it.

The "potency is higher" line might have applied to the Panama Red, or a handful of other strains I have run into across the years; unfortunately, it says nothing about the schwag that was around when the good stuff was unavailable. Perhaps the commercial growers were unable to access a quality seedbank? Or who knows, maybe they cultivate for yield, and don't give a rat's ass about potency...

You can breed marijuana for color, taste, yield, potency...yes, thanks to science we understand how to do these things. If it was legal for me to grow a marijuana plant, you can believe I would be ph testing soil and all the other fun sciency things to try and grow the most potent stuff possible; I do not deny science. What I think is complete bullshit is when walking D.A.R.E pamphlets (often with little or no hands-on experience with weed) try to extrapolate that into meaning that there has been some significant increase in potency across the board, probably in the misguided belief that they sound knowledgeable as opposed to gullible.

There is another gaping flaw; namely, the implied assumption that increased potency means the same thing as increased dosage. Not necessarily true; it might just mean you smoke a hell of a lot less (edibles a different story of course). Around 2006, I was smoking some run-of-the-mill stuff for a couple months when I ran into some Blueberry... I would sit there doing bong rips on the schwag all night with little effect. Two hits of the Blueberry on the other hand, and I was good. Incredibly good.

The people who were pushing the "potency has increased" line in 1985 were doing so because there was an agenda behind it. Laura Ingraham show about 2 months ago, she had a police chief on to describe all the Islamic terrorist groups that were flocking to Colorado (at least I think it was CO) to take advantage of marijuana legalization; it was an absolute eyeroller, here we are 40+ fuking years later and there are still people singing the same song... do you think governments care more about control and power, or whether your spliff has 12% or 16% THC?

From the outset, "potency has increased" was a parable designed for the mouth of uninitiated fools.

Not gonna speak to the potency argument, but my doctor has mentioned cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome to me since as something to read up about in case it lines up with some of the health issues I've been experiencing. I wouldn't say it's common knowledge, especially since people like to spout the "cannabis is harmless for everyone" bullshit. It has minimal negative side effects for most people, but there are plenty of people it is unpleasant for or does not work well with their body chemistry.... or they take too many edibles XD lol.

I was just doing some further reading on CHS (the aforementioned syndrome), and it mentions that activation of one of the receptors THC effects can "delay gastric emptying", which may explain the discomfort you were feeling.

"Activation of CB1 receptors result in inhibition of gastric acid secretion, lower esophageal sphincter relaxation [40], altered intestinal motility [41,42], visceral pain, and inflammation [9,43]. CB1 receptor activation reduces gastric motility and results in delayed gastric emptying in rat models [44,45]. In humans, THC given at doses used to prevent chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting causes a significant delay in gastric emptying [46]." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576702/

Not gonna speak to the potency argument, but my doctor has mentioned cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome to me since as something to read up about in case it lines up with some of the health issues I've been experiencing. I wouldn't say it's common knowledge, especially since people like to spout the "cannabis is harmless for everyone" bullshit. It has minimal negative side effects for most people, but there are plenty of people it is unpleasant for or does not work well with their body chemistry.... or they take too many edibles XD lol.

I was just doing some further reading on CHS (the aforementioned syndrome), and it mentions that activation of one of the receptors THC effects can "delay gastric emptying", which may explain the discomfort you were feeling.

"Activation of CB1 receptors result in inhibition of gastric acid secretion, lower esophageal sphincter relaxation [40], altered intestinal motility [41,42], visceral pain, and inflammation [9,43]. CB1 receptor activation reduces gastric motility and results in delayed gastric emptying in rat models [44,45]. In humans, THC given at doses used to prevent chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting causes a significant delay in gastric emptying [46]." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576702/
Not really sure what "delay gastric emptying" means, what it feels like. Looks like I have been on meds that can cause it tho.

I'm guessing I had mild, brief stomach cramps 3 or 4 times over the week or so that I was smoking. Not even really worth mentioning if it hadn't been for the friend quitting a couple months later, followed by the article I linked a day or so later. May all just be coincidence.

What this has really got me wondering about now is Panama Red. How much of the effects that I remember can be attributed to the fact that I was a new smoker? How much has nostalgia colored my memories? The only real way to know is to get ahold of some, hope the strain is mostly unchanged and see what happens. I am terribly disappointed that none appears to be available in dispensaries. There are reports that it is still making the rounds in the Pacific Northwest, but I am not going to go that far just based on an internet rumor.

Did you get it from a reputable grower or dispensary?
Home growers or noob growers are known to mess up or use bad products in the growing process.
If you and a friend are having problems from the same weed/source, maybe it's the weed/source itself.
Have you tried going to another dispensary or finding a new source?
Does it crackle when you put flame on it? Or taste really bad?

I've also had the problem of taking too big of hits and taking smoke into my stomach, are you burping smoke too?

Has this ever happened to you before, too? From your story it seems like you may want to not buy from whoever you bought from.

I've personally never experienced nausea from weed, but I've also never experienced nausea from alcohol. I've heard of it happening to other people, though, and it sounds annoying.

I was going to say... After he clarified it was 1.5-2 weeks, that sounded a little more reasonable to my quarter-gram-at-a-time self.

Reactions: SatanJonez
Did you get it from a reputable grower or dispensary?
Home growers or noob growers are known to mess up or use bad products in the growing process.
If you and a friend are having problems from the same weed/source, maybe it's the weed/source itself.
Have you tried going to another dispensary or finding a new source?
Does it crackle when you put flame on it? Or taste really bad?

I've also had the problem of taking too big of hits and taking smoke into my stomach, are you burping smoke too?

Has this ever happened to you before, too? From your story it seems like you may want to not buy from whoever you bought from.
Just a stale bag of mediocre shit that looked far better at first glance than it was. Nothing out of line in the way it tasted or smoked; I wasn't the least bit worried somebody sprayed Raid or some shit on it (in fact it was so ho-hum that by the end of the bag the thought crossed my mind of spraying some on it myself).

I see there is a dispensary in R.I. that supposedly has Panama Red...

Just a stale bag of mediocre shit that looked far better at first glance than it was. Nothing out of line in the way it tasted or smoked; I wasn't the least bit worried somebody sprayed Raid or some shit on it (in fact it was so ho-hum that by the end of the bag the thought crossed my mind of spraying some on it myself).

I see there is a dispensary in R.I. that supposedly has Panama Red...

I'm a pretty seasoned smoker and have had some pretty bad bags in my time.
Growers that try to rush the curing process and end up with moldy bud. (Moldy weed taste like smoking the couch in the basement though, you'd probably notice)
Growers that use heavy pesticides or synthetic nutrients and don't flush the plants properly before harvest.
Even dealers that try to increase the weights by adding moisture or adding glass/sand or honey and water mixed together to make bad weed look better/make your bag heavier.
Back in the day dealers used to spray windex on their weed to give people the impression that the weed was "super potent and covered in trichromes" but in reality you were smoking chemicals and people would get really sick. Maybe whoever you got your bag from was pulling one of these tricks?

I would definitely recommend grabbing a few grams from someone else to see how you react.
If it's not giving you cramps, stay far away from the guy who sold you the 1/2 oz originally cause he's probably a shifty dealer or buying from a bad grower.
I only buy at dispensaries now, at least if there's a problem with what you bought they'll work with you and get you something else!

Love me some sativas, my favorite is definitely Jack Herer or Love potion :D
Happy toking man, hope you find some daaaaaank that doesn't fuck up your stomach!

Not really sure what "delay gastric emptying" means, what it feels like. Looks like I have been on meds that can cause it tho.

I'm guessing I had mild, brief stomach cramps 3 or 4 times over the week or so that I was smoking. Not even really worth mentioning if it hadn't been for the friend quitting a couple months later, followed by the article I linked a day or so later. May all just be coincidence.

What this has really got me wondering about now is Panama Red. How much of the effects that I remember can be attributed to the fact that I was a new smoker? How much has nostalgia colored my memories? The only real way to know is to get ahold of some, hope the strain is mostly unchanged and see what happens. I am terribly disappointed that none appears to be available in dispensaries. There are reports that it is still making the rounds in the Pacific Northwest, but I am not going to go that far just based on an internet rumor.

Delayed gastric emptying is the movement of food from the stomach or the lower intestine slowing or stopping, with no blockage to cause it. Symptoms include feeling full shortly after starting a meal, feeling full long after eating a meal, nausea, and vomiting.

Re: nausea and weed-- it looks like there's a point at which the anti-nausea, anti-vomitting affect of one of the cannabinoid receptors being stimulated with THC actually can start having the opposite effect, possibly due to the delayed gastric emptying causing nausea. Then you smoke more thinking it will help the nausea, then your stomach gets more delayed, then you smoke more, etc.... The paper I read didn't say how much a person has to smoke for it to happen, though I imagine it varies from person to person.

Then of course there's all the terpenes and things, and everything Spookybunz mentioned.

• Helpful!
Reactions: SaffronBurke
But do you just have to poop? Honestly though I've never heard of it but i'm not a weed pro.

On again off again smoker over the years. I might smoke daily for shorter periods, then go months (sometimes even a year or two) without smoking.

So a few months ago, I smoked through a half oz. and I noticed I had mild stomach cramps. Didn't really think it was related to the mj. Then a couple days ago, a friend who had been smoking the same stuff told me he was quitting, the cramps and nausea were getting too bad for him.

Today I ran across this story...
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/09/21/cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome-emergency-room/
According to this, it only affects people who have been smoking daily for extended periods; the cramps I had a couple months ago started up immediately-- I hadn't smoked any for about 9 months or so best as I can remember.

Anybody else experience this? Is this common knowledge that just somehow flew under my radar over 3 decades of dabbling with weed?

YES. This is why I quit smoking. Think about it: it's a powerful, psychoactive compound. Despite all the wonderful benefits of cannabis, you're still ingesting something over and over and your body's architecture becomes attuned to it. Cannabis DOES affect the GI system.

My experience? I randomly began smoking every day for about three months. I was probably smoking about 2 - 3g of medical grade flower with a bong every morning, midday, and evening. It was ridiculous. When I didn't smoke, I had the WORST stomach pain. I quit and just went through the physical withdrawals (which DO exist). It sucked, but I felt much better after a few weeks. The GI thing is normal with heavy, regular smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.